Thinking of opening my own LSS - need your input

bobcat

<font color=magenta>I had a horrible case two year
I am in the planning stages of deciding if I want to open my own LSS. I was offered a retail space rent free, only need to take care of utilities, in the building my parents have their business in. It would be a good location as my stepmom has a quiltshop in the other side and has been established for awhile, and there are no other scrapbook stores in this town. They have been self employed for most of my life so they would be invaluable on the business side of everything. I know that opening my own store will not mean days of just scrapping and fun and I am trying to go into this with my eyes open. I know that I have the personality, for lack of a better word, to keep customers and keep them happy. I have retail experience running their business over the years as needed and know the pitfalls and time starting a business takes. The idea of being self employed is exciting yet also scary.

As I said I am in the research stages. I have an idea of what merchandise I want to start with, both what isn't available close by and basic supplies for the casual scrapbooker. There is space enough for a tool center and a small classroom area. I want to carry cricut/provo craft however they just started this year with a high minimum order and $10,000 yearly order which would leave out any small LSS.

I would also like to have an online store and am thinking I may start with this first while the brick and mortar is in the works. This is probably the hardest part for me as I have no idea where to start. Other than ebay I have no experience with online sales.

There is just so much to consider and I'm not planning to jump into this next week. I'm a planner by nature and want to have as much information as I can before taking the leap. Do any of you have experience in this area or can think of anything I might not have considered?

My favorite things about my LSS - they carry the cool stuff - bazzill, basic gray, rusty pickle etc; they have classes and crops. I can buy stuff anywhere but I love learning new techniques and scrapping with friends or meeting new friends. One LSS here does a Friday night crop - 4-12. It's $10 and they provide pizza for dinner

That's exactly what I want my store to be like! However I know that I need to have some basic supplies, ok less expensive, for the cheap scrapper. I am also thinking of carrying items not specifically made for scrapbooking, such as a flexible drafters ruler like the BoBunny one. Sure the BoBunny one is pink and cute but as a scrapper if I can get the same thing less expensive somewhere else I will.

Another item I would like to feature is machine embroidery for scrapbook pages. This would directly tie into my stepmom's store as she sells embroidery machines and there are many designs made just for scrapbookers. I think the ladies who are in the embroidery club at her shop would be interested in a class and I might also make custom items to sell in my store.

If you were going to have books and magazines I'd suggest "display only" copies to stop people flicking through them and then picking a "clean" one - that way you only get one messy copy instead of half a dozen and you can use them as an ideas resource for crops as well.

I think having a range of basic stuff like good scissors and even clear rulers would be helpful - I wish my hobby store would stock stuff like that.

If you've got a large stock of dies you could also consider a library/hire of them - especially ones you bought for a specific page/project and never used again :rotfl: Or how about a trade-in area?

My DH's parents had a shop and its a big tie,not to mention problems with staff (ALL staff are a problem sooner or later:rolleyes1 )

But best of luck, its a fantastic exciting thing and I just wish you were opening up over here in Scrappers Desert:thumbsup2

I have thought about a loan/rental library, especially cricut carts. I've heard people talking about their LSS renting the carts but none around here do that. No one but walmart even carries any in this town and the next closest place for them is 30 miles away.

I also want my store to be kid friendly. The next nearest LSS, it's really out in the country, the owner really doesn't like kids. I took my nieces with me one day and they were very well behaved but she followed me around the store to make sure they didn't harm anything. It made me uncomfortable and I haven't been back since. I've had others tell me the same thing about her. She does have a fantastic selection of stickers so I wouldn't want to compete there but her paper selection stinks.

I have no experience at all running a business, but here is what I like about my LSS and why I am willing to spend my money threre as opposed to getting it cheaper at ACMoore or on-line.

1. Cardstock selection: My LSS carries a million colors of Bazzill in both 8.5x11 and 12x12. There is also an equal selection of Worldwin(sp?) cardstock in both sizes. Yes, ACMoore has it cheaper, but they rarely have everything I need and I would end up making a separate trip anyway.

2. There is a constant stream of new items, especially the latest releases. If I see something I must have, I know I have it get it -- It will be gone the next time I shop. My LSS usually gets new items before the big chain stores and once they have it, she stops carrying it. Too hard to compete and once the chain stores have it, it no longer has that "latest and greatest" appeal.

3. She will accept one 40% coupon per week.

4. Lots of crop space and classes and crops. I can crop during the day if I call ahead to make sure they have the space. I am a big fan of the mom & me classes.

5. Really outstanding service. I can call and ask her to hold an item for me. She will order thing if you ask. If she doesn't carry it, she'll help you find it. She knows customers by name. She and her employees have successfully mastered the art of helping customers without having them feel bothered or talked into purchasing something. I asked for a 50 count Bazzill black and she gave me a 20% discount that I didn't ask for.

Good luck with your endeavors. If I am ever in your neck of the woods, I would certainly stop in!

My LSS also accepts coupons from other stores (40% off ones from Michael's, Jo-ann's, Hobby Lobby). I think that has been a huge help to draw more customers in. You mentioned your store being kid-friendly. My LSS has a Thomas the Train table set up as well as a small tv with a video selection and some baskets of toys for the kids to play with. The kid area is set up in the crop room. I've never cropped at the store with my kids, but the area is nice to keep them busy while I look around the store.

Good Luck!!

I also want my store to be kid friendly. The next nearest LSS, it's really out in the country, the owner really doesn't like kids. I took my nieces with me one day and they were very well behaved but she followed me around the store to make sure they didn't harm anything. It made me uncomfortable and I haven't been back since. I've had others tell me the same thing about her. She does have a fantastic selection of stickers so I wouldn't want to compete there but her paper selection stinks.

My LSS has a 'kids corner'. A room with a half door that shows cartoons and has a lego set for kids to play in. It's in the back corner, so the entire store is between that room and the exit door. It always seems to be in use and I admit that I like not having to shop around kids that don't really want to be there.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

I have a scrapbook room so this isn't something I'd necessarily do.....but I thin kit's a great idea.

I have friends with small kids and they just don't have the space to scrapbook and no place to store supplies.

I think you should have a scrapping room that's open all the time for people to come in and work. They could use your punches and things and buy their supplies while they are there. I really think that would go over well.

edited to add another idea: how about sell a "membership" by the month/year for a small fee and with that membership, you can come in and use the cricut, sizzix, etc anytime. Not take it home with you but use it there.

I know one of the LSS's around here.. you have to buy the paper at the store in order to use their diecut section.

One of the other LSS's has a kids room. The kids love it.. I know my youngest goes in...and he will clean the room before he leaves and has gotten a piece of candy for being so respectful to the owner.

I like this idea.. wish I was closer I'd be over alot!

I've actually had a membership to one of our lss, opposite direction to the area I am looking at. I was thinking of doing this as well. I know she charges $5 for a onetime use.

I like the idea of Momy and Me crops. I know I would have jumped all over that when my kids were smaller. I was also thinking of doing a swap 'n crop where you bring like 10 pieces of paper and a couple of embelishments and then you swap with the other participants.

I know there have been a lot of threads on 2Peas from people asking the same question, with lots of good answers from former and current store owners. It's good that your family is already business savvy and you don't have to rent your own space. I think that would make things a little easier.

The LSS closest to me closed, and I didn't really like it because it had a lot of old product, and since it was so small, she would only stock a little of everything. So like 3 papers from a BG line or whatever. I think it would have been better to stock fewer lines, but what you do stock make it complete.

However, what I know did work for her, is she had great project classes. I never took any, but I would love looking at the samples. Nothing too hard or fancy, but things that make good "gift" projects. Tag books, recipe cards, exploding boxes. And you could buy the kits without taking the classes. I think people don't think they are crafty enough to do things on their own, but can follow directions to end up with a completed project in a couple hours.

I know from the 2Peas threads, that you have to do your homework for the trade shows. The popular companies have numbered ordering, so you have to hustle to the booths to get your number so that you will get your merchandise faster. This is important so people just don't go buy stuff over the internet.

The other LSS I shop at, maintains a database, for free. As a member, you get 20% one item every month. During the month of your birthday, they send you a card for 20% off you entire purchase. They also have a punch card (done electronically, it prints on your receipt). For every $100 you spend you get a choice of 10% of your next purchase, $5 off a class, or free open lab (they normally charge $5). And at higher levels you might get 20% off your purchase, and what else, I don't know, I guess I haven't spent that much!

Another thing that bugs me, stores that price items at more than the MSRP. I know that the Bazzill Bling paper is priced the same as the regular Bazzill paper, don't charge more just because it looks fancier.

I just thought of something else.. w/ project classes... could you keep a standing file and examples.. Maybe one day somebody would be asking for it on here or @ the store and you could give them (sell them) the instructions.. Like a board book... or tag book (some are self-explanatory but for some people they are not).. A brag book..

My LSS has a page of the week - every Monday they create a page kit that you can buy for about $5.00 - it's the cut paper elements like a photo mat, background paper and usually at least one or two embellishments. The package comes with a picture of the completed page and instructions and sometimes includes a computer printed title and/or stickers. They also sell additional matching paper and embellishments so you can make a two page spread if you want. They put up a "sneak peek" - a small picture of some of the elements on their website and they sell out every Monday.

They also have the kid's area (with a large assortment of Disney movies) with a half door which I really like and two workrooms - one for cropping and the other for classes. Good luck!!

My LSS is brick and mortar as well as online.
http://www.scrapbookclubhouse.com/ PM me your e-mail and I'll forward you her newsletter.

they may be able to help you out, or at least browse her website for ideas. As for a kids room, they don't have one but they do have a TV VCR combo for the kids to watch movies in the crop room while we shop. They also have a small kitchen for crops.

I would not do the loaner tools, just because $80 for a cricut cart is a lot of money. I would say that you have plenty of tools to use inside the store. Our store also has a photo printer, to make copies of copies It works really nicely for crops. She charged I think $2 or $3 for each, I don't remember.

Our LSS signs us up for e-mails and also if we spend XX amount of dollars we get a coupon for $25 off. I think it was 150-200 range, I don't remember. In her e-mails we sometimes get coupons and she runs her sales through that 40% off Rusty Pickle or something.

classes and a monthly calendar are a must. Our store also sells the kits with the instructions if you don't or can't take the class.

OH and she bought the coolest carts. They hold 2 tiers of baskets or you can take the top basket out and put an infant carrier in it. Those were cool!

Well.... the first thing I LOVE about my LSS is that it is only 11 miles from home. The chain craft stores like Michael's and AC Moore are over 20 miles away (YES, I live in the BOONDOCKS of NH). The nearest LSS other than the 11 mile away one is about 35 miles away.

Secondly, she has stuff that I NEVER see at the chain stores.... papers and stuff I see in CK magazine.

Third, she offers cool classes for such a little LSS.... she even had Elsie Flanagan hold a day of classes last summer (unfortunately I couldn't justify spending the $50+ it cost... oh well... EF isn't exactly my style, but I think her pages are COOL!).

Fourth, she has two little girls of her own so she has a small "kids" corner with a tv and a few toys.... my kids are older, but DS will sit with the little girls and play if he is with me.

Fifth, she is local and I would way rather support a local small business than give Michael's or Walmart another dollar of my money.

She does offer crops very regularly and has a few different crop "clubs" but I am mostly an "at home" scrapper and have never attended. But the sign up sheets alway look full! She has a great area for at least 15 scrappers. Not sure what she offer for tools, but there are definitely some there... I just never stopped to check.

I do wish she would do a few things differently but she doesn't have a suggestion box and I feel funny and bossy offering unsolicited advise. But I would hate to see her business do badly and would love to at least be able to offer my suggestion. (Her windows look terrible.... you only see the backs of display pages and packages... and they are nice big windows.... wish she would put some cool stuff that you could see from the outside. It might bring her some drive-by business.) So that is my only bit of advise to you..... have a suggestion box! Best of luck and keep us updated on your plans..........................P

I knew you guys would have great ideas! Buffy thanks for the link. I'll check out her site.

pjlla I was thinking of doing a suggestion board but didn't know if that was too strange.

I knew you guys would have great ideas! Buffy thanks for the link. I'll check out her site.

pjlla I was thinking of doing a suggestion board but didn't know if that was too strange.

in that link you'll see a survey which may answer some of your questions that having a suggestion box would require.

Bobcat, PM me your e-mail addy, I got my LSS newsletter today, I can forward it over to you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter