The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: Add me to the crowd letting the watch do the work. I do check the watch versus the mile markers at regular intervals to see how far off it is and to see if that gap is remaining relatively constant or is continuing to diverge. I also use the @FFigawi method of pacing, although maybe not quite as much cushion as he uses. For a sub-2:00/4:00 effort, I'll typically look to hit ~9:00/mile.

Leaving for WDW tomorrow...Has anyone attempted running at BLT/Contemporary? It has been awhile since I've stayed here and I don't recall much runnable land. Most likely will do the treadmill...
I stayed here marathon weekend and granted I only needed to run a little 2 mile shakeout but I ran around and around the buildings and pools. That’s their official running trail. I’m sure someone has a link to the map but it’s figure 8s around the buildings.

ATTQOTD: I do an excellent job of missing all the mile markers, so I let the watch do its thing and know that chances are good the watch will claim I am running long and set my pace goals accordingly.

I once saw a description of GPS as a dog on a 30 ft leash that you're bringing along with you. Something I remember every time a course distance doesn't match up with what I expected. (Unless it's short. Looking at you, Death Valley Half.)

I let the watch do the work. Sure I'm always hitting splits before markers but otherwise I might forget or messup trying to do it myself. The last time I did manual laps on just a regular Timex watch was the 2016 marathon part of Dopey, I don't think I missed any even being sick though. I was debating if I should do manual laps come my marathon, but I kind of like seeing how off I am at the end.

The watch does all the work! Most races, I’m pretty spot on. I was .2 off on my recent half though (human error - had technical difficulties at the start), and it drives me crazy that it didn’t register 13.1 for the purposes of PRs in the Garmin app!

ATTQOTD: I let my Nike App GPS run. I leave the volume on so I can typically ear “x km/mile ran” and see how far I am to the marker for that distance. I adjust my pace accordingly.

Looking at my pace is probably the distraction that caused me to fall on my 10k last weekend... So I cannot really recommend it :rolleyes1

On that note as well, my friend who was running the marathon missed his goal by 3 minutes because he forgot to build that buffer into his pace. :sad2:

The watch does all the work! Most races, I’m pretty spot on. I was .2 off on my recent half though (human error - had technical difficulties at the start), and it drives me crazy that it didn’t register 13.1 for the purposes of PRs in the Garmin app!
That or forgetting to stop it at the end... Vividly remember my phone telling me that I was at 23km (say 14.5 miles) on the Disney bus back from my first half... To this day it is officially my longest distance in the app :confused3

That or forgetting to stop it at the end... Vividly remember my phone telling me that I was at 23km (say 14.5 miles) on the Disney bus back from my first half... To this day it is officially my longest distance in the app :confused3
There's a pretty obvious way to fix that. *whistles innocently*

Leaving for WDW tomorrow...Has anyone attempted running at BLT/Contemporary? It has been awhile since I've stayed here and I don't recall much runnable land. Most likely will do the treadmill...

As others have said, one lap is about .8 miles around the buildings. I used to add onto the run by running down to MK. I haven’t stayed at CR since the MK Security was moved out, so not sure if it’s still possible

For some unknown reason today, DVC became something I thought I should look into today. When that free DVD shows up in the mail my DW may kill me for having the thought lol. We've talked about renting points, but we are always to late. We also both said it would be a crazy purchase. I'd put it at about 5% chance of actually happening. lol

For some unknown reason today, DVC became something I thought I should look into today. When that free DVD shows up in the mail my DW may kill me for having the thought lol. We've talked about renting points, but we are always to late. We also both said it would be a crazy purchase. I'd put it at about 5% chance of actually happening. lol
We thought we were crazy when we first looked into it ;) Took us about 4 years, but we ended up DVC owners this past summer. At the very least you get your Disney fix watching the DVC dvd.

I know there was a discussion about sunglasses a little bit ago - I'm a BIG fan of Goodr! - but I wanted to share another set to check out ... Ro-Sham-Bo Shades! They started as a baby sunglass company, but just put out a line of adult glasses.

The cool thing? They're rubber and COMPLETELY flexible. And, on top of that, they float!

https://www.roshambobaby.com/collections/adult

They're polarized and only cost $30. Definitely recommend these bad boys, especially if you're like me and just constantly are tossing your sunnies into a purse or bag or on the floorboard of your car because you are #TheWorst.

QOTD: Picking up from last weeks question of the day a bit. When running a race do you let the GPS pick up each mile, or manually hit the lap button when you cross a mile marker?

ATTQOTD: I let my watch/phone do it. At my race the other weekend there were some mile markers missing. Also, I would definitely forget. I often forget to start/stop my app.

Do it. Best thing we did!

Take the boat to the Wilderness Lodge and run the trails between it and Fort Wilderness...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter