The Running Thread - 2018

@LSUlakes
Would you add some races for me?

June
06 - MissLiss279 - The Big Run 5k (NG / N/A)

October
14 - MissLiss279 - Prairie Fire Half Marathon (1:59 / N/A)

November
18 - MissLiss279 - Route 66 Marathon (NG / N/A)

Thanks!!

ATTQOTD: I seem to wear the same tank tops over and over which are Athleta, Lululemon & Nike. I’m picky when it comes to materials and how the arms and necklines are cut. I don’t want them too loose or too tight and they have to be sweat wicking material. I don’t wear the freebie race shirts for running, but use them for jammies & working around the house or I’ll wear my Disney ones around town.

Starting us off in the first weekend of June we have the following folks with races:

June
02 - @Miranda - Bow Lake Dam 15K (NG / N/A)
Yikes... how did that sneak up so fast. :) I think I'll just leave it NG for now. If I finish it, it will automatically be a PR as I've never done a 15K before. :D

I have not run outside at all in the 1.5 weeks since my HM... I did 4 Orangetheory classes last week, and have done 2 this week so far, but that's the only running I have done. I'm doing our last shakeout run with my group tonight for 40 minutes so hopefully that is a rust buster for me. :D I'm doing OTF again in the morning but maybe I'll walk to try and taper a little. I'm basically relying on my HM training and some hard OTF workouts to pull me through this since I haven't run longer distances in a few weeks other than my HM race.

It's going to be warm, T+D of 130-132 most of the race (although cloudy), and it is notoriously hilly. The course has a time limit of 2.5 hours... I feel pretty certain I'm going to be last but HOPEFULLY should not be swept. Actually there is no sweeper, it is just proceed unsupported at your own risk and timing is being turned off. During my HM I did the first 8 miles in 1:46:33, and then that's where I screwed up my watch, but I am guessing 9 miles was somewhere around 2:00-2:02. There was a lot of sun for the HM and it was hot, but it wasn't very hilly. It seems like 9.3 in 2.5 hours should be doable, though, considering that I will probably not be trying to save as much in the tank for 4 more miles after that.

Mile 5-6 hill, yikes. :eek:

29695215_1894165803988755_4302644090480099328_o.jpg

ATTQOTD: Nike tanks are my favorite, with Under Armour coming in as a close second. I do not normally run in my race shirts, and just wear them around town when running errands and stuff. I have weird issues with my right armpit chafing, so I have to be careful with the fit of my shirts.
I'm not alone!

I can't do tanks for longer runs because I get chafing on both sides, which is obnoxious in the heat. Fortunately the new hydration pack may solve this issue?

ATTQOTD: I wear mostly a mish-mash of race shirts and stuff bought from the Kohls' clearance racks. I'd like some nicer stuff but I also had to replace pretty much my entire wardrobe over the past two years because of weight loss so I keep putting that off. I find most things comfy enough in the meantime.

ATTQUOD: question mainly for the ladies: what shirts/tanks have you found that don’t make you look like a drowned rat after running? Maybe I sweat more than the average person but if I wear something like a Raw Threads top, I look like I r r ran through a car wash.

ATTQUOD: question mainly for the ladies: what shirts/tanks have you found that don’t make you look like a drowned rat after running? Maybe I sweat more than the average person but if I wear something like a Raw Threads top, I look like I r r ran through a car wash.
Dark or very bright colors :) I have some short sleeve shirts in lighter colors (like a medium purple) that coordinate with some of my sparkle skirts great... except I've learned they make some REALLY unflattering sweat patterns all over my chest and belly area. :o If it's going to be a very sweaty race, I will usually wear a black shirt.

Last edited:
Great question! I have weird under arm chafing too :( So in the Summer, I can't really wear tanks for runs longer than 4-5 miles. And even some short sleeved shirts have started to result in chafing. Weirdly, it's the cheap race shirts that I don't seem to have chafing in. I'm not sure why that is.

QOTD: For running shirts do you find a big quality difference between different sources? Are there features you look for? What are inexpensive sources for you? If you strongly subscribe to a particular line, what about it makes you want it?
I am not too picky in running shirts. I do notice some quality differences between brands. I tend to run mainly in runDisney race shirts. In winter I have some thicker Nike shirts I wear.

Black is the only color I've found that doesn't show sweat spots - but I won't wear black in summer because I'm convinced it makes the sun even hotter. I honestly just don't care if I look sweaty, though so I just wear what's comfortable and more or less coordinates with whatever skirt I wear!

Great question! I have weird under arm chafing too :( So in the Summer, I can't really wear tanks for runs longer than 4-5 miles. And even some short sleeved shirts have started to result in chafing. Weirdly, it's the cheap race shirts that I don't seem to have chafing in. I'm not sure why that is.
Have you tried using Body Glide? I always use it around my underarms and where my bra hits just under my armpit and never chafe.

Last edited:
ATQOTD: I have these TASC long sleeve shirts I wear in the winter that I love. They're made partially of bamboo fiber and are soft and decently warm. The bamboo fibers don't retain odors, so they were pretty great. I don't think they make them any more sadly... :(

ATTQOTD: Nike tanks are my favorite, with Under Armour coming in as a close second. I do not normally run in my race shirts, and just wear them around town when running errands and stuff. I have weird issues with my right armpit chafing, so I have to be careful with the fit of my shirts.
Me too! Just the right.

ATQOTD: I have these TASC long sleeve shirts I wear in the winter that I love. They're made partially of bamboo fiber and are soft and decently warm. The bamboo fibers don't retain odors, so they were pretty great. I don't think they make them any more sadly... :(

Raw Threads used to use TASC for their shirts (they might still, I dont remember). So I know exactly what you mean - that material is perfect for winter running.

It's been a busy week and weekend so I'm finally able to catch up on some of the questions...

-I'm an Apple watch to Garmin Forerunner convert within the last 6 months. It was strictly a battery life and ease of workout configuration decision. I really like Garmin watches, but there's nothing like an Apple Watch in terms of build quality, seamless integration with the iphone, and day to day usefulness. I will continue to use my Garmin watch, especially if triathalon training is immiment, but IF the next Apple Watch can get more than 7 hours of battery life with workout mode + Airpod connection + LTE for iphone-less training, then I will switch back.

-I let the Garmin watch auto-split every 1 mile. I find pushing a button during a race super annoying and gets me out of my flow

-I run with any kind of shirt and it doesn't seem to bother me too much. I have Nike and lululemon shirts which work well for me.

I'm not too picky on running shirts, I pref tech or polyester blends obviously over gasp cotton. I actually really like some $4 walmart tanks I got, they are soft & light. I have a lot of Skirt Sports shirts as well. Some Champion as well and a couple Asics. I've also been sewing some of my own tanks out of a tech material that is really nice & lightweight.

I'm not alone!

I can't do tanks for longer runs because I get chafing on both sides, which is obnoxious in the heat. Fortunately the new hydration pack may solve this issue?

ATTQOTD: I wear mostly a mish-mash of race shirts and stuff bought from the Kohls' clearance racks. I'd like some nicer stuff but I also had to replace pretty much my entire wardrobe over the past two years because of weight loss so I keep putting that off. I find most things comfy enough in the meantime.

Me too! Just the right.

LOL! Armpit chafers unite!

@LSUlakes Please change my June 10 race from the Echo Half Marathon to Remarkable River Series 10K:

June 10 - Disney at Heart - Remarkable River Series 10k (1:05:00 / N/A)

Unfortunately, DH came in from work yesterday and told me that he was checking in on the Echo Half Marathon web page and discovered that it had been canceled. The race company, Final Mile, has apparently gone out of business. They are working on getting refunds out, but don't know when. We generally go to the beach that week and have run the half marathon for several years, so we found a 10k on the same day that starts/ends at Aunt Catfish's on the River (restaurant) at Port Orange. So, a shorter distance and free Sunday brunch at Aunt Catfish's afterwards = win/win! :) :snail:

I know there was a discussion about sunglasses a little bit ago - I'm a BIG fan of Goodr! - but I wanted to share another set to check out ... Ro-Sham-Bo Shades! They started as a baby sunglass company, but just put out a line of adult glasses.

The cool thing? They're rubber and COMPLETELY flexible. And, on top of that, they float!

https://www.roshambobaby.com/collections/adult

They're polarized and only cost $30. Definitely recommend these bad boys, especially if you're like me and just constantly are tossing your sunnies into a purse or bag or on the floorboard of your car because you are #TheWorst.

I just got three pairs of Knockarounds (thanks @KSellers88) for $33 and they seem good so far. I got three different styles so I could see what I liked most. I want some Goodrs, too, but all the colors I like are always sold out.

I'm an Apple watch to Garmin Forerunner convert within the last 6 months. It was strictly a battery life and ease of workout configuration decision. I really like Garmin watches, but there's nothing like an Apple Watch in terms of build quality, seamless integration with the iphone, and day to day usefulness. I will continue to use my Garmin watch, especially if triathalon training is immiment, but IF the next Apple Watch can get more than 7 hours of battery life with workout mode + Airpod connection + LTE for iphone-less training, then I will switch back.

Oh dear. Timely comment is timely and I am now having a panic attack. I literally just ordered a Garmin (Vivo 3) yesterday to replace my Apple Watch and now I am wondering if I am going to have the same feels. I ~like~ my AW but it's an old series 1 with a cracked screen. I wanted something new and hopefully better to be able to track my runs, bike rides, and swims all in one. But what if I miss my AW because of the integration with my phone. Dang it.

ATTQOTD: I am not picky when it comes to shirts I guess. I like tank tops but prefer muscle tanks, which probably helps with the no armpit chafing since it sits so low on the sides.

Have you tried using Body Glide? I always use it around my underarms and where my bra hits just under my armpit and never chafe.

I do use body glide and that was a fine answer until marathon training last year. I actually bought a little one to carry with me so I could reapply during those long runs but it seemed to sweat right off. At the end I started putting KT Tape there as a barrier and also under my sports bra band to prevent chafing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter