What to do for part of a day?

Keyser

DIS Veteran
So, I will be in Orlando (UCF area) next week for work, but the day I leave (when I have no other things to do) my flight out is not until 5:00. I'm trying to think of something fun to do for the day, until leaving for the airport (I will have a rental car). Any suggestions? I may have someone else along, also.

It's been a few years since I've really visited Orlando, and I don't know what the good "minor" attractions might be these days - something that would be good for adults for half a day and not crazily overpriced. The Disney/Universal/Sea World parks seem like too much for the time available.

So, I will be in Orlando (UCF area) next week for work, but the day I leave (when I have no other things to do) my flight out is not until 5:00. I'm trying to think of something fun to do for the day, until leaving for the airport (I will have a rental car). Any suggestions? I may have someone else along, also.

It's been a few years since I've really visited Orlando, and I don't know what the good "minor" attractions might be these days - something that would be good for adults for half a day and not crazily overpriced. The Disney/Universal/Sea World parks seem like too much for the time available.

Your flight out is at 5 pm

So you will need to be at the car rental return desk by 13.30 YES

Travel to Airport 1 hour ( 12.30 )

Take a lazy late breakfast & chill out by a pool

Escape room - plenty around to choose from.
Water park - the rapid river in Aquatica is awesome.
Or if you are more outdoorsy, maybe look at exploring one of the state parks around.

1:30pm seems excessively early. Car rental return (at the airport) by 3pm. Don't forget to factor in a gas stop on the way back though. Car rental return itself is quite quick. Then 2hrs for security/etc.

Your flight out is at 5 pm

Travel to Airport 1 hour ( 12.30 )

Take a lazy late breakfast & chill out by a pool
If the OP is flying international this is still extremely conservative. If not, there is no reason to get to the rental car return before 3pm.

From UCF to airport is no more than 30 minutes. He's not battling the Disney/I-4 traffic from there.

This really depends on what you like to do.

Winter Park is a nice area near UCF if you want a quieter, less touristy experience. Shops, parks, food and museums.

If you want upscale shopping, you can go to the Mall at Millennia.

If you like to play golf, you can easily get in 18 holes with an early tee time.

If you want a taste of tourism, you can go to Universal City Walk or Disney Springs.

If the person you are with has never been to Disney, may never go, and is interested you could up early, eat breakfast at the Contemporary or Poly and rope drop MK for a good half-day or more. Expensive, of course.

If it were me, I would do Gatorland, a 1/2 day old time Florida park in the area or visit the Magic Kingdom monorail resorts. For visiting the MK Monorail resorts park at one of them, have lunch at one of them, and ride the monorail around (I usually park my car at the Polynesian, explore the grounds - take the monorail to the Grand Floridian and Contemporary and explore those hotels and grounds too. Sometime I take the little boat from one of those and go explore the Wilderness Lodge and grounds too.

Last edited:
I like the Winter Park idea. You can meander around the nice downtown area and Rollins College and still have plenty of time to get to MCO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter