• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

With all the talking about running watches, can anyone compare the Garmin Forerunner 235 and Vivoactive 3?

The Garmin website has a nice comparison tool, and they look relatively similar.

I've got a FR 235 right now. I've had it for almost 2 years and overall I have been very happy with it. Why am I thinking about a change?
  • I've had the FR 235 for almost 2 years, so I don't necessarily mind spending again. Getting a bit of an itch for a new device. :)
  • The FR 235 only has gadgety-looking colors. The Vivoactive 3 just coming out with the white band + rose gold version actually looks pretty nice. I could potentially choose a normal-looking face and look professional. (Probably not but it's an option!)
  • Vivoactive 3 is a bit smaller and lighter than the FR 235.
I run and play a lot of tennis. I have a free app from the Garmin community to track the tennis, which I assume will likely work with the Vivoactive 3. Any significant differences in terms of HR tracking quality? GPS quality?

I was thinking about a Fenix 5-something, but even the smallest version is still larger and heavier than the FR 235, not to mention a big bump in cost. I don't think I really need the extra Fenix 5 features, like mapping.

The nicest-looking fitness watch that I ever had was a Basis, if anyone remembers them. They were around for a year or so - I got asked all the time if my Basis was an Apple watch. But then they kind of died out. No GPS or running features, so going to the FR 235 was a good thing for me and my running, but definitely a downgrade in looks.

Anyway, input would be nice. Thanks!

"Race" Recap - L'Chaim 5K
(The "race" is in quotes because this is really more of a community event than a race, but ... they give it trophies, so I count it as a race.)

I did this race last year, but I wasn't sure if I was going to do it again this year - I wanted to wait and see what the weather story was. Well, the weather forecast was rain, but then I saw the shirt and really liked it, so I decided to register. And I can't help but think that this was a higher power putting me in the right place at the right time.

My plan was to take this race easy (Coach @DopeyBadger had me running it at my easy interval pace). I went too fast at first (especially because I was having a hard time hearing my Garmin alerts over the rain), but settled in. As I was on one of my walk breaks, a woman started talking to me (first about my pacing, then about my skirt), and as we fell into conversation, I started walking with her when she walked and running with her when she ran. She was a newer runner, having just started running consistently recently, and her usual MO was to run a little, then take a walk break - but nothing really structured. I talked about doing my 60/30 run/walk intervals, and eventually we started doing those intervals together. We ended up run/walking the rest of the race, and we were both really focused on getting her through her first 5K. We finished feeling good in 42:11, and I was so proud of my new friend for making it to the end!
I went into this race not really expecting anything, and it ended up being a really great experience because I was able to help someone else reach a goal.

And then I got a text with my results ... first in my age group. I stuck around for the awards ceremony (after eating a banana and some ice cream) and got this thing:
upload_2018-5-27_15-13-45.png
And then I went home. Because I was wet and cold and I needed to be warm and dry.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel running in the rain, but it wasn't too horrible, other than the wet shoes. I did learn one major lesson. They don't have bag check, so I didn't bring a change of clothing, despite the bad weather. Next year if the weather is bad I should just bring a change of clothing and leave it in the coat room (because the pre/post race stuff is in my synagogue) or something. I'm not worried about people stealing my stuff, and I really should not have been walking around in my wet clothing.

Had a great experience at the Miami Tri last weekend. As this is a running thread I won't recount the details but will say that it was my first event in a monsoon. Heavy rain and wind led to a low visibility swim and a harrowing bike ride on an elevated/exposed causeway. I am developing a better tapering and pre race week routine. Short and fast workouts seem to get me primed for race day. On Sunday morning I felt great.

One the device question . . . bad news. I had a fairly serious bike crash yesterday and am sitting here with most of my left side bandaged up and in serious pain. Was forced into a giant pothole. My helmet is destroyed but luckily no concussion or broken bones. My road bike escaped relatively unscathed. Bontrager has a helmet replacement program so I will be able to replace at little to no cost. My Garmin Forerunner 230 was destroyed.

It has served me well and had a good bit of life left. However, I could not use it in the water and have been looking for a replacement. I think that Forerunner 735 is the best multi-sport option. It will be nice to eliminate the heart monitor strap.

It will take a few days to come to grips with a revamped summer schedule. We are headed for NYC Wednesday and I had planned a NYRR 5 mile race in Central Park on Saturday. That is out. My next tri in mid June is likely out as well.

OMG! I’m glad your helmet did it’s job and that you didn’t break anything!

Congrats @SarahDisney! Cool trophy!

So, the boot came off yesterday and today I did a 4.5 mile power hike and the results... My ankle is sore and swelled a little, but not too bad. Certainly no running yet, but I can walk on it. I will tone down the distance a bit and also tone down the “speed”. I am excited to have gotten outside with running shoes on! I waited until mid-day so I could get a good sweat going, about 90 this afternoon. All in all, I am calling it a success. I need to make my new mantra - “Patience Baloo, don’t be stupid!”

I hope everyone’s races have gone well! Please share; I am living vicariously through you all! :)

And for todays ATTQOTD

I'll be working most of the weekend. Because I didn't learn my lesson this week I will be running Bolder Boulder Monday morning and then will work grave yards Monday night. This was my first non fun run last year so I couldn't resist running again and didn't want to waste a vacation day. Last year I was barely trained for a 10k so I was mostly worried about finishing and didn't take in the fun of this race so I have no time goals, I just want to enjoy and partake in the fun and maybe do a jello shot or 2 along the way.

@LSUlakes can you add this race for me, thanks
May 28 PrincessMickey - Bolder Boulder 10k (ng/na)

I’ll be skipping BB10k this year, but I’m volunteering as a course marshal on mile 4 - I’ll ring a cow bell for you

dehydration: same as everyone else, headaches/urine (color and smell...aka, if I can smell it, I'm not having enough water...). Also, if my lips start feeling dry/chapped -- that one sometimes hits before the headaches.

devices: first started with some old (free!) pedometer on vacations a bunch of years ago...but since signing up for races and taking this seriously, it's been my Fitbit One (happily a luddite on this one, I like it better than the wrist-worn newer ones) and MapMyRun. And a notebook.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend, and fingers crossed this new week is a major improvement on the last 2.

I’ll be skipping BB10k this year, but I’m volunteering as a course marshal on mile 4 - I’ll ring a cow bell for you

That’s cool you’re volunteering. I’m in one of the later waves but maybe I’ll see you. I almost didn’t run this year because I work later but it was a lot of fun last year and my brother and sis in law will be running/walking too so I couldn’t pass it up.

Quick recap of the Mnt Sports Festival 5k in Asheville, NC. I usually don’t sign up for 5K races unless it’s a charity I really want to support (or Disney!), but my beach mini-break was canceled due to rain and DH and DS15 were running. This was the second event in a 4- race challenge sponsored by the big area hospital where you get points for participating, finish time, etc against your generation and winners get up to $250 (Generation X representing here!). DH is a decent AG runner, plus on the younger side of his generation, so he’s got a shot at the $, as does DS (who does not really run outside of soccer, which is a shame b/c he’s fast). Anyway, flat course which is always a plus here, but boring and very muddy! I’m usually a Galloway runner for distance, but for 5Ks I use a 30 sec push run, 30 sec easier run. Finished in just over 29, pretty good time for me, 4th in the 40-49 AG. DH was also 4th, but DS was 1st in his with 23:45. His award? A frisbee. Not the fancy type, but the Oriental Trading type that orthodontist offices give out by the dozens at festivals. Seriously?! Has to be one of the cheapest races ever (although the registration fee was not, and did not include a shirt). One and done for all three of us. Interesting to see how we are doing in the generation series this week.

Peach Jam half 2018 (near Atlanta) is in the books! Alberto didn’t cancel it. Yay! It starts on a track and goes out on a man-made greenway that has some paved trail and the rest boardwalk over swampland. Earlier in the week we received an email that it was in a flood plain, but it wouldn’t be called until time to toe the line. Luckily, the rain yesterday was light, so it didn’t flood, and while it was raining constantly this morning, it was a sprinkle rather than a deluge.
@LSUlakes Result: 2:29:10 and third place in my age group.
:snail: The Happy Snail!

Our race recap:

We ran the Memorial Day 5K (for me) and 10K (for my husband). It was like 95% humidity as Sunday the whole area of the state was being drenched by the outer bands of Alberto. My course went well but the 2nd half of the 10K course was washed out in parts according to my husband thanks to the rain,. He was so drenched in humidity after the race, he didn't want to stay for awards (he placed 3rd in his age group) and had to wring out his shirt before getting in the car before the hour drive home.

For my lack of training, I finished strong and with energy left over. My husband was slow for him (1:02 10K) but considering the humidity, not a bad race!

I do wish people would follow the rules such as no dogs on the course or not having a wheelchair runner start in the middle the corral. That just seemed unsafe.

Ottawa Race Weekend Recap

This year over 33k runners and 200k spectators participated in the biggest multi-distance race event in Canada.

The Ottawa Race Weekend hosts two International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) Gold label events: the Scotiabank Ottawa Marathon and the Ottawa 10K.

Where to stay
Most hotels downtown Ottawa were partners with the organization and had a two nights stay requirement. Because of that, we choose to be 3km away, to park the car and to taxi/Uber for the weekend. I had planned to eat in the room kitchenette on Saturday anyway. And some nice runners offered me a lift to the half Sunday morning!

Expo
Well organized. Every runner was receiving shirts and bibs in a red string backpack. So they were recognizable everywhere in town.

Vendors included all brands of shoes, watches, apparel and many local products and races. No running skirts with pockets though.

Common for all races
I would describe the theme of the weekend as “Very Canadian “.

Shirts and medals for all distances featured a maple leaf The color of the shirts and the size/spinning of the medals varied.

The courses were pretty much flat the entire way. All departed in the same area and had the same 3k finish around the Rideau Canal. That means that the half-marathoners met the full marathoners towards the end.

The supporters were EVERYWHERE along the courses. The medical staff and patrols were also continuously present. Super energy, thanks to all!

The food given at the end included a bagel, a protein bar, a banana, ketchup chips and a juice box. There was beer coupons attached to my bib but I did not use them.

Photo package are available for purchase.

Fortunately, the forecasted thunderstorms never happened and the weather was ideal for running over the entire weekend with mostly grey skies, relatively low humidity and cool temperatures.

And, personally, I did the warmup and cool down routines that we so conveniently discussed in this thread for all my races!

Challenges
Two challenges were offered:

The Voyageur Challenge (like a Canadian explorer in his canoe with a traditional knitted belt): 5k+10k+halfMarathon

The Lumberjack Challenge (like a lumberjack going in Canadian woods with his axe and checkered shirt): 2k+5k+10k+Marathon

The price of a Challenge equalled the sum of its parts but provided some extras: A long sleeve tech shirt, a medal, separate bag check, opened corral choice, bragging rights and multiple fun occasions.

I choose to run the Voyageur Challenge so my medal is a canoe paddle. Here are my swag and bling:

upload_2018-5-28_22-10-26.jpeg

I arrived early to familiarize myself with the surroundings. I witnessed the start of the 2k full of families. I saw many arriving by bike and checking them in/out. I found real bathrooms and air conditioning in the Ottawa City Hall (super important when running a challenge). I checked-in my stuff for the next race.

I was going to push that race so, after my warmup, I took place in the first corral. And at 4PM, I ran my race!

PR at 00:24:52.8

It was my first officially timed 5k race without my DD10 so I had based my goal on my Nike App best 5k was (24:51) but that doesn’t take tangents into account. For equal comparison my Nike App now tells me that I crushed this and my new unofficial best 5k is 24:45. So it is a real PR and I am so so proud of it! I am in the 9% overall, 4% women and 3% age category. What a great confidence and self-image boost!

During the two hours between the races, I had to get my medal, pickup the provided food, take a few pictures, get my bag, wash-up and change clothes in the bathroom, drink, eat, stretch, charge my phone (just in case), rest, check my bag and warmup.

My goal was also to push that race so I got behind the 50min bunny in the second corral. There was a bit of crowding at the beginning and I got a few elbows but the all came with (Very Canadian) apologies.

I got into the rhythm and everything was going peachy until I fell during the 5th km. I did not get hurt and continued running right away but, the rhythm was broken, I slowly ate into my buffer and finished in 00:56:58.2. I have to learn from this and find a “recovery from when something goes wrong “ strategy.

Half
New morning, new race day!

I was already getting alerts that one my friend running the marathon had started and was doing well. That set a positive mood.

My goal for the half was to run a conservative pace and have fun... I wanted to leave the weekend happy. Had I wanted to run that one fast, I would not have registered to a challenge.

So I lined up behind Ruben the 2h10 continuous pace bunny and talked with my fourth corral neighbour Wonder Woman.

I followed that bunny for half the race, walking the water and electrolyte stations and catching-up when needed. The mid-race fruits, chews and sponges stations put some distance between us as planned.

I took the time to take a few pictures when it was nice, to high five some kids, to read the supporters signs and by the time we merged with the marathoners, I had a smile that I kept until the end.

@LSUlakes thanks for updating my goal/results:

26 - flav - Ottawa 5k (24:5x / 24:53)PR
26 - flav - Ottawa 10k (54:50 / 56:59)
27 - flav - Ottawa Half Marathon (2:25:00 / 2:15:20)PR

Overall Challenge placement is in the first third overall and the first fifth women and age category wise.

The next morning
I woke up Monday morning and assessed soreness, energy and satisfaction levels. I asked myself... Could I go slowly run a Marathon now with the proper training? Well, yes. So Dopey is not out of the question one day, oups.

This year over 33k runners and 200k spectators participated in the biggest multi-distance race event in Canada.

The Ottawa Race Weekend hosts two International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) Gold label events: the Scotiabank Ottawa Marathon and the Ottawa 10K.

Where to stay
Most hotels downtown Ottawa were partners with the organization and had a two nights stay requirement. Because of that, we choose to be 3km away, to park the car and to taxi/Uber for the weekend. I had planned to eat in the room kitchenette on Saturday anyway. And some nice runners offered me a lift to the half Sunday morning!

Expo
Well organized. Every runner was receiving shirts and bibs in a red string backpack. So they were recognizable everywhere in town.

Vendors included all brands of shoes, watches, apparel and many local products and races. No running skirts with pockets though.

Common for all races

Shirts and medals for all distances featured a maple leaf The color of the shirts and the size/spinning of the medals varied.

The courses were pretty much flat the entire way. All departed in the same area and had the same 3k finish around the Rideau Canal. That means that the half-marathoners met the full marathoners towards the end.

The supporters were EVERYWHERE along the courses. The medical staff and patrols were also continuously present. Super energy, thanks to all!

The food given at the end included a bagel, a protein bar, a banana, ketchup chips and a juice box. There was beer coupons attached to my bib but I did not use them.

Fortunately, the forecasted thunderstorms never happened and the weather was ideal for running over the entire weekend with mostly grey skies, relatively low humidity and cool temperatures.

And, personally, I did the warmup and cool down routines that we so conveniently discussed in this thread for all my races!

Challenges

The Voyageur Challenge (like a Canadian explorer in his canoe with a traditional knitted belt): 5k+10k+halfMarathon

The Lumberjack Challenge (like a lumberjack going in Canadian woods with his axe and checkered shirt): 2k+5k+10k+Marathon

The price of a Challenge equalled the sum of its parts but provided some extras: A long sleeve tech shirt, a medal, separate bag check, opened corral choice, bragging rights and multiple fun occasions.

I choose to run the Voyageur Challenge so my medal is a canoe paddle. Here are my swag and bling:

View attachment 325577

I arrived early to familiarize myself with the surroundings. I witnessed the start of the 2k full of families. I saw many arriving by bike and checking them in/out. I found real bathrooms and air conditioning in the Ottawa City Hall (super important when running a challenge). I checked-in my stuff for the next race.

I was going to push that race so, after my warmup, I took place in the first corral. And at 4PM, I ran my race!

It was my first officially timed 5k race without my DD10 so I had based my goal on my Nike App best 5k was (24:51) but that doesn’t take tangents into account. For equal comparison my Nike App now tells me that I crushed this and my new unofficial best 5k is 24:45. So it is a real PR and I am so so proud of it! I am in the 9% overall, 4% women and 3% age category. What a great confidence and self-image boost!

During the two hours between the races, I had to get my medal, pickup the provided food, take a few pictures, get my bag, wash-up and change clothes in the bathroom, drink, eat, stretch, charge my phone (just in case), rest, check my bag and warmup.

My goal was also to push that race so I got behind the 50min bunny in the second corral. There was a bit of crowding at the beginning and I got a few elbows but the all came with (Very Canadian) apologies.

I got into the rhythm and everything was going peachy until I fell during the 5th km. I did not get hurt and continued running right away but, the rhythm was broken, I slowly ate into my buffer and finished in 00:56:58.2. I have to learn from this and find a “recovery from when something goes wrong “ strategy.

Half

I was already getting alerts that one my friend running the marathon had started and was doing well. That set a positive mood.

My goal for the half was to run a conservative pace and have fun... I wanted to leave the weekend happy. Had I wanted to run that one fast, I would not have registered to a challenge.

So I lined up behind Ruben the 2h10 continuous pace bunny and talked with my fourth corral neighbour Wonder Woman.

I followed that bunny for half the race, walking the water and electrolyte stations and catching-up when needed. The mid-race fruits, chews and sponges stations put some distance between us as planned.

I took the time to take a few pictures when it was nice, to high five some kids, to read the supporters signs and by the time we merged with the marathoners, I had a smile that I kept until the end.

Overall Challenge placement is in the first third overall and the first fifth women and age category wise.

The next morning
I woke up Monday morning and assessed soreness, energy and satisfaction levels. I asked myself... Could I go slowly run a Marathon now with the proper training? Well, yes. So Dopey is not out of the question one day, oups.
Congratulations on your PRs!! Love your challenge medal! May have to consider doing it next year!

Where to stay

Expo

Common for all races

Challenges

View attachment 325577

Half

The next morning
Those are some nice shirts.

Fantastic!!!

I slowly ate into my buffer and finished in 00:56:58.2.
Still an awesome time. IMO!

Overall Challenge placement is in the first third overall and the first fifth women and age category wise
Well done :)

Could I go slowly run a Marathon now with the proper training? Well, yes. So Dopey is not out of the question one day, oups.
YES!! DO IT!!

This was my hometown race so I'm glad you enjoyed the experience - of course you could be from Ottawa too ;)

QOTD: Picking up from last weeks question of the day a bit. When running a race do you let the GPS pick up each mile, or manually hit the lap button when you cross a mile marker?

ATTQOTD: I always let the watch do it, but I have a friend that does the other method which I found interesting. The idea is if you have a goal and each mile needs to be under a certain time you can track it a bit more accurately by using the course markers. It seems like a solid idea as most races run a little over the distance my GPS gives, the only down side would be to remember to do it or not to overlook the mile marker.

QOTD: Picking up from last weeks question of the day a bit. When running a race do you let the GPS pick up each mile, or manually hit the lap button when you cross a mile marker?

ATTQOTD: I always let the watch do it, but I have a friend that does the other method which I found interesting. The idea is if you have a goal and each mile needs to be under a certain time you can track it a bit more accurately by using the course markers. It seems like a solid idea as most races run a little over the distance my GPS gives, the only down side would be to remember to do it or not to overlook the mile marker.
I let the watch do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter