The Running Thread - 2018

My legs are sore due to increased miles and attacking some new hills. Based on where it aches, I think the hill was a large contributor. My plan was to run <3 Tu, Th, & F this week and next before a more flat 10k in a week and a half. The Tu & Th runs were some of the slowest in the last year, and my legs don’t feel any better than they did at the beginning of the week. So it is not clear to me I am resting (the point of a taper?) if I am trying to run and keep my heart rate up. Is this a point where if I don’t have it I don’t have it or are there gains to be made in the next week I would miss out on if I just bike instead?

Have you tried stretching and foam rolling your calves? That might help work out some of the soreness. If that doesn’t help, the bike or elliptical would probably be a good option. What kind of plan are you following? Two weeks sounds like an awful lot of taper for a 10k.

ATTQOTD: I became very aware of hydration when pregnant, and I have been wondering how to better manage this running in the summer. In a panic about last weekend's race not advertising water tables I am considering buying some sort of liquid container for running. I also noticed I was swollen at the end, so worried about salt- hence I grabbed the chips my kids thought I won.
Similar to the above post, I gauge daily hydration based on color of output.
what-color-is-your-pee.jpg

This is the only case in which I would consider coors light 'good'

Michigan Bluff Aide Station! That is the Western States 100! Did you run it? This is a “maybe someday dream race for me”.

ATYQOTD: Dehydration signs for me are swelling of my hands/fingers, headache, goosebumps and I stop needing to pee/stop sweating much. I really notice it if I am doing a poor hydrating job during a long run, as I tend to be a pretty heavy sweater - sorry if TMI!

ATTQOTD: I am many things, but I am not a tech guy! In all my years of running I have only used one gps type device; my phone using the strava app. I like to run by feel and generally only look at results after running so Strava on my phone works well. One down fall has been during really long runs or races using my phone for strava and music/podcasts wears down the battery. So I have gone to carryng a charger, but when I plug it in sometimes Strava stops and I don’t notice until the end of the run or race. Maybe it is actually time to break down and get a running watch; nay, I won’t.

Good luck to everyone running this weekend!

Michigan Bluff Aide Station! That is the Western States 100! Did you run it? This is a “maybe someday dream race for me”.
I did not run it, a 10 mile race would be an endurance race for me! I saw a version of this in a brewery bathroom, with the labels crossed out with tape and their brews listed under it.

My legs are sore due to increased miles and attacking some new hills. Based on where it aches, I think the hill was a large contributor. My plan was to run <3 Tu, Th, & F this week and next before a more flat 10k in a week and a half. The Tu & Th runs were some of the slowest in the last year, and my legs don’t feel any better than they did at the beginning of the week. So it is not clear to me I am resting (the point of a taper?) if I am trying to run and keep my heart rate up. Is this a point where if I don’t have it I don’t have it or are there gains to be made in the next week I would miss out on if I just bike instead?

Bike riding is good, but it sounds like you may be pushing too hard on your runs. The vast majority of my runs (80%+), I'm focused on keeping my heart rate down, not up. The majority of runners would benefit from more miles, but at a slower pace.

Well, since we've talked so much about hydration this week, my new hydration pack arrived this morning before I went out for my run and so I was very excited to load it up and take it out for a test spin with me. I got the Hydraquiver Double Barrel (ordered through Amazon because free two day shipping) after seeing someone with the Single Barrel during the Dark Side 10k. (I'd been eyeing them before that, to be fair.)

I have two other bladder-style hydration packs (a Camelbak and an Osprey) but I've been struggling because both have been chafing about midway down my back during long runs. It's a new thing in the past 6 months or so, but frustrating all the same, and I find myself taking them out less because of it. I've been able to get away with that over the winter, but the temperatures are starting to creep up again and - haha - I'm pretty sure I bonked HARD during my last long run because of dehydration. (It was supposed to be 14 miles, I did 13.1 and had to walk by the end of it ...and nearly passed out, so let's not do that again.)

This rides pretty high on my back - the pack stops well above my bra strap - and the straps under my arm were a little concerning when I was just wearing it around the house before heading out for my run. Once out, though, it settled in just fine and was really pretty comfortable. No signs of chafing, including under the arms, at least at this distance. I loaded the water bottles but didn't drink from them this run because I haven't gotten them washed yet (and I normally don't drink on a 5miler anyway). They feel a little awkward to get in and out but that is probably a combination of a new movement style and the holsters needing to be broken in a little bit. There's a nice storage area that runs the length of the pack for things like my phone or keys or whatever, although I think it would have to be pretty thin to be comfortable, and pockets for gels or chews on the shoulders.

It'll get put through its paces this weekend for sure, because it's supposed to warm up considerably by Monday and my running schedule is 7mi tomorrow (4 tempo), 7 Sunday, and 11 Monday (with 4 @ tempo to finish). If it chafes, I'm gonna find out. ;)

Well, since we've talked so much about hydration this week, my new hydration pack arrived this morning before I went out for my run and so I was very excited to load it up and take it out for a test spin with me. I got the Hydraquiver Double Barrel (ordered through Amazon because free two day shipping) after seeing someone with the Single Barrel during the Dark Side 10k. (I'd been eyeing them before that, to be fair.)

I have two other bladder-style hydration packs (a Camelbak and an Osprey) but I've been struggling because both have been chafing about midway down my back during long runs. It's a new thing in the past 6 months or so, but frustrating all the same, and I find myself taking them out less because of it. I've been able to get away with that over the winter, but the temperatures are starting to creep up again and - haha - I'm pretty sure I bonked HARD during my last long run because of dehydration. (It was supposed to be 14 miles, I did 13.1 and had to walk by the end of it ...and nearly passed out, so let's not do that again.)

This rides pretty high on my back - the pack stops well above my bra strap - and the straps under my arm were a little concerning when I was just wearing it around the house before heading out for my run. Once out, though, it settled in just fine and was really pretty comfortable. No signs of chafing, including under the arms, at least at this distance. I loaded the water bottles but didn't drink from them this run because I haven't gotten them washed yet (and I normally don't drink on a 5miler anyway). They feel a little awkward to get in and out but that is probably a combination of a new movement style and the holsters needing to be broken in a little bit. There's a nice storage area that runs the length of the pack for things like my phone or keys or whatever, although I think it would have to be pretty thin to be comfortable, and pockets for gels or chews on the shoulders.

It'll get put through its paces this weekend for sure, because it's supposed to warm up considerably by Monday and my running schedule is 7mi tomorrow (4 tempo), 7 Sunday, and 11 Monday (with 4 @ tempo to finish). If it chafes, I'm gonna find out. ;)
A few of us use the Orangemud packs in this thread. Personally, I have a Double Barrel I have never worn and am going to sell and a Single Barrel that I love how it rides, but it chafes me terribly right at the armpits. I got some suggestions of the other packs to try. I hope it works for you! I really wanted it to work for me. Maybe my arms and chest are just too fat and it will ride better if I lose some pudge there. :D

A few of us use the Orangemud packs in this thread. Personally, I have a Double Barrel I have never worn and am going to sell and a Single Barrel that I love how it rides, but it chafes me terribly right at the armpits. I got some suggestions of the other packs to try. I hope it works for you! I really wanted it to work for me. Maybe my arms and chest are just too fat and it will ride better if I lose some pudge there. :D
My fingers are crossed this works for me! I can't for the life of me figure out why the other two I have started chafing so badly on my back after a year+ of being fine, but I need something. I tried a number of different belt-styles and ...belts aren't well designed for women with curves. I couldn't get anything to stay and be bounce-free where I wanted it.

Thankfully REI's return policy is very generous.

She asked me why I wasn't going to stop at the water stop with her and said I needed to because she could see the goosebumps on the back of my legs.
I'm a little behind in posting this, but as it happens to me quite frequently, I'm wondering what the science is behind correlating goose bumps with hydration? I drink a ton of water through my daily life, and while running, yet experience this often, so now I'm intrigued.

Cool fact: The runDisney clear plastic bag they give for bag check is very useful for any other races’ bag check... And a real ice breaker for any other runner that has been to runDisney, is planning to go to runDisney or is dreaming of runDisney!
Hi to everyone who said hello!

Devices:
  • Various wrist watches with stopwatch feature
  • Nike+ foot pod and sportband - didn't work terribly well and died within the warranty period.
nike-sportband-wm0057_004_a2.jpg

• First GPS was a Garmin FR405, died after 2 years
  • Replaced with a FR220, tracked around 3,500km of running. Excellent watch but wanted something that could track more than just runs
  • Got a Garmin Fenix 5 and absolutely love it. I got the one that also has a metal band so it doesn't look like a fitness watch. It's smart enough with notifications etc, and the battery life is awesome. GPS isn't as accurate as the FR220 but everything else is superb

cf-lg.jpg

Everything goes in to Garmin Connect and this also feeds Strava and Smashrun. I had a spreadsheet which went from 2006 - 2015.

Had a great experience at the Miami Tri last weekend. As this is a running thread I won't recount the details but will say that it was my first event in a monsoon. Heavy rain and wind led to a low visibility swim and a harrowing bike ride on an elevated/exposed causeway. I am developing a better tapering and pre race week routine. Short and fast workouts seem to get me primed for race day. On Sunday morning I felt great.

One the device question . . . bad news. I had a fairly serious bike crash yesterday and am sitting here with most of my left side bandaged up and in serious pain. Was forced into a giant pothole. My helmet is destroyed but luckily no concussion or broken bones. My road bike escaped relatively unscathed. Bontrager has a helmet replacement program so I will be able to replace at little to no cost. My Garmin Forerunner 230 was destroyed.

It has served me well and had a good bit of life left. However, I could not use it in the water and have been looking for a replacement. I think that Forerunner 735 is the best multi-sport option. It will be nice to eliminate the heart monitor strap.

It will take a few days to come to grips with a revamped summer schedule. We are headed for NYC Wednesday and I had planned a NYRR 5 mile race in Central Park on Saturday. That is out. My next tri in mid June is likely out as well.

Had a great experience at the Miami Tri last weekend. As this is a running thread I won't recount the details but will say that it was my first event in a monsoon. Heavy rain and wind led to a low visibility swim and a harrowing bike ride on an elevated/exposed causeway. I am developing a better tapering and pre race week routine. Short and fast workouts seem to get me primed for race day. On Sunday morning I felt great.

One the device question . . . bad news. I had a fairly serious bike crash yesterday and am sitting here with most of my left side bandaged up and in serious pain. Was forced into a giant pothole. My helmet is destroyed but luckily no concussion or broken bones. My road bike escaped relatively unscathed. Bontrager has a helmet replacement program so I will be able to replace at little to no cost. My Garmin Forerunner 230 was destroyed.

It has served me well and had a good bit of life left. However, I could not use it in the water and have been looking for a replacement. I think that Forerunner 735 is the best multi-sport option. It will be nice to eliminate the heart monitor strap.

It will take a few days to come to grips with a revamped summer schedule. We are headed for NYC Wednesday and I had planned a NYRR 5 mile race in Central Park on Saturday. That is out. My next tri in mid June is likely out as well.

Sorry to hear about your crash. Hope it heals up quickly and you can get back out there soon. Depending on what you plan to use the 735 for, make sure it has the battery life you need. I was debating between the 735 and 935 last year, planning to run an ultra. The much shorter battery life of the 735 led me to go with the 935. I can’t speak for the 735, but I upgraded from a 235 to the 935 and it has been a very nice step up in every way.

Just got an Apple Watch 3. Before that, I would just find my run distance online using MapMyRun.com and kept my time by an old manual Timex Ironman Watch and entering times into the LFconnect app that came with my old Lifetime fitness membership.

I refuse to run with my phone ( can’t deal with it in my pocket as I run), so I wanted something I could have to track my runs this year as I’ve been starting to get ready for the full in January (which will be my first). Since we have a number of Apple products, I went with the Apple Watch 3 and 3 runs in, it seems to be great!

My 3rd run with it was Friday, going about 3.7 miles between the Wilderness Lodge and Forr Wilderness!

@Sanchez I'm so glad the helmet got damaged instead of your head! Keep your chin up and I hope you have lots of Advil available.

Edited to add:
On the device question I ran with the Nike + phone app for many many years. Before that I used a stopwatch and entered my runs manually into the Nike running website. Finally I got an entry level Garmin watch (Forerunner 35) because it was cheap. I like having HR information but it keeps telling me my VO2 Max sucks which is information I could do without, given that I don't really have a way to increase it besides maybe losing weight.

Guys ... I just won my age group at a race.
I mean, there were only three people in my age group. And I was kinda slow. But ... I got a trophy. Go me!

Congrats!

You didn't ask for it, but my advice is just skip the "there were only three people in my age group" part of the explanation. You beat the 100,000 people in your age group who didn't run.

Hope you're posting a pic of the trophy!

Congrats!

You didn't ask for it, but my advice is just skip the "there were only three people in my age group" part of the explanation. You beat the 100,000 people in your age group who didn't run.

Hope you're posting a pic of the trophy!

Thanks for the advice - it's much appreciated! I did beat everyone who stayed home because of the rain ... so that's pretty impressive.

I will post a short recap in a little bit and will include a picture of the trophy. It's very trophy-like.

I had a fairly serious bike crash yesterday and am sitting here with most of my left side bandaged up and in serious pain.

Sorry to hear this. I (flashback to my own bike accident) feel your pain. And if it involves the ribs, yuck. Hope you heal quickly, and yeah on the helmet doing its job. I guess on the (minor) bright side....new gear!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter