The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: 1 if you don’t count phone upgrades... I use the Nike Run App on my iPhone. I want to have the phone with me to be able to call, take pictures and occasionally to listen to something... So I don’t want to add another device in top of it. If I ever do, I’ll definitely take suggestions from this thread!

QOTD: How many different devices have you used to track your runs over the years?

I'm on number 4 but I also use some concurrently. I had a ForeRunner 305 and then I got a 910XT for my birthday. I still have that watch. I also went and got VivoActive HR which I replaced with a VivoActive 3 which I still have. My daily wearer is the VivoActive 3 which I also use for most runs, bikes, and swims. I use the 910XT for multi-sport and occasionally for runs.

I am planning to get a Garmin Edge Explore 820 for the bike at some point and that will be number 5.

Before the 305 I would go back and plot out my run using Microsoft Streets & Trips so I guess you can squint real hard and call my computer my first device but I don't.

ATTQOTD: I guess the answer is 3? When I started, I was running away from zombies using the ZombiesRun app on my phone (still do) and I've been wearing a Fitbit for years, longer than I've been running. I'm currently on the Fitbit Blaze, which isn't available anymore but has been chugging along for 2 years. Just had to replace the watch band but the electronics are still going strong, and this design actually makes it easy to replace the band, compared with the ...4... previous Fitbits I've gone through.

When it was really clear that I was serious about the running though, I started looking at GPS watches. My husband "gave" me a Garmin 735xt for my birthday last year, except slightly early so it was on my running birthday (and also because I wanted it to wear while running in England, where my phone tracking wasn't going to work well because of a lack of data signal). He likes it because the Garmin live tracking lets him see if I've finished my run and have just forgotten to IM him that I'm back at the house. (I run in the mornings, after he's left for work.) I like it because, well, GPS watch.

I admit the Fenix 5S is really tempting, but I've only had this one a year so I will simply drool from a distance. As it is, I'm wearing the Garmin on the right wrist and the Fitbit on the left. If I were to get the Fenix I'd probably want to wear it more often (I only wear the 735 while running) and that would mean wanting to switch the Fitbit to something smaller ...like the Alta HR...

I may like gadgets in general.

On the plus side, it was really easy to sync my Garmin runs automatically. I had been keeping everything in Runkeeper up until I got the Garmin, but then I switched to Strava and loaded everything in there. (Everything still gets loaded into Runkeeper too as a backup.)

3 for me. First was a MapmyRun/Timex Ironman combo. The watch was great when I was working on my Galloway-esque transition to all-running since I could do intervals. Next was the Garmin 305 and currently a 310XT which I have had for a few years. I never get the newest model because I don't really need/use the ever-increasing feature set that they throw on devices, and the "soon to be superseded models" are generally better bargains.

When my clunky, but functional, 310 goes, I would look at a 235 or Vivoactive (or their successors).

4 devices for me. Started off with Endomondo on the blackberry, then a Garmin 305, on to a Gramin 920xt when I started doing tris, and currently on a Fenix 3 that I picked up super cheap on criagslist.

The $100 off on a fenix 5 is taunting me right now, but I actually love my scosche optical HRM, and so I can't justify the money for just a smaller profile.

QOTD: How many different devices have you used to track your runs over the years?

Not so many running years, so 2.
Pre-running I used map my run to map my walks, and did not love it. DH got me a fitbit, which was slightly better. I started using Runkeeper when I started running and find it OK, but irritiating that it has data that I cannot export easily. This is also a major complaint with the upgraded Charge2. I like the run tracking better with with the phone app than the watch, so I run with both. Also, I take my phone everywhere for my safety and because I am paranoid daycare will call with some emergency and I will not know for an hour. When the band went on my fitbit last month I seriously considered a Garmin Vivioactive3 as I think it would probably be better for getting data I am not sure I need. I will wait until the battery stops holding a charge and probably jump to garmin then.

ATTQOTD: I've only ever had two devices - a Motorola Motoactv watch which was fine but started getting glitchy, followed by a basic TomTom GPS watch, which I'm still using. As long as my watch gives me time and distance, I'm fine. I really don't pay attention to any of the other numbers. I manually upload the data to my log on runningahead.com, and the watch automatically uploads all outdoor (non-treadmill) runs to Strava.

Taper question: My understanding is that the idea is to rest the legs before race day. So, if one's legs are shot after the last LR, do you run through it and think they will heal up in time? Or do fewer runs? My runs this week have been slogs. I'm not sure I can bring myself to do tomorrow's run, and I wonder if it is actually not beneficial as my calves are still achy. Thoughts?

Taper question: My understanding is that the idea is to rest the legs before race day. So, if one's legs are shot after the last LR, do you run through it and think they will heal up in time? Or do fewer runs? My runs this week have been slogs. I'm not sure I can bring myself to do tomorrow's run, and I wonder if it is actually not beneficial as my calves are still achy. Thoughts?

When's your race and how far is it?

If your legs are achy because they're tired from your increased training load, it may or may not be a good idea to run tomorrow, depending on a number of factors. If your legs are achy because you have an injury, or are close to one, rest is always the best answer.

ATTQOTD: Five, if I am counting correctly: Nike+ foot pod, Phone, Apple Watch, Garmin Swim, & Fitbit Charge 2. Currently I use my Apple Watch and Runkeeper while I run. I used to also start my Fitbit, but now I just let it auto track. After my run, I export the file from Runkeeper and import it into Strava. Then I put those numbers into my personal spreadsheet, I check off my run on my printed out training plan, and I jot down some notes about my run in my Believe Training Journal.

When I first started, I used my phone to track runs - but switched to a Garmin and have been using that for over a year. I only use it for running.

I also bought a 2nd Garmin to wear all day to track steps and heart rate. This replaced my Fitbit - and I like being able to track everything in a single app.

When's your race and how far is it?

If your legs are achy because they're tired from your increased training load, it may or may not be a good idea to run tomorrow, depending on a number of factors. If your legs are achy because you have an injury, or are close to one, rest is always the best answer.

My legs are sore due to increased miles and attacking some new hills. Based on where it aches, I think the hill was a large contributor. My plan was to run <3 Tu, Th, & F this week and next before a more flat 10k in a week and a half. The Tu & Th runs were some of the slowest in the last year, and my legs don’t feel any better than they did at the beginning of the week. So it is not clear to me I am resting (the point of a taper?) if I am trying to run and keep my heart rate up. Is this a point where if I don’t have it I don’t have it or are there gains to be made in the next week I would miss out on if I just bike instead?

ATTQOTD: I'm on my 4th device. I first started out using my phone to track distance, then I think my first watch was the Forerunner 410, then the 620 (stopped working), and finally the 235. I really like this one and I have to avoid looking at the new shinny toys that they keep coming out with because.... well I like new toys.

I have been using RunKeeper since I started in 2014. It works for me so I keep using it.

I'm a frequent lurker but may try to start posting more frequently if I can!

ATTQOTD: 3--I first used the Nike app on my iPhone. Then I got an apple watch from my girlfriend for Christmas and I started using the Nike app on that as well. But since I like listening to a specific playlist on my phone, I was taking both the phone and the watch on my runs. (BTW, the Nike App on the phone and the one on the watch frequently do not synch up (i.e. I start a run on the phone and the watch doesn't recognize and display it all the time) which is super frustrating and disappointing). I finally decided I needed a dedicated running watch with better GPS and more data capability so I got my first Garmin (a Vivoactive 3). But I have years of runs and accomplishments in my Nike app and I hate losing that progress. And I only just got the Apple watch 5 months ago... So I have strapped my Garmin on my right arm and I've been using all three devices at once....
Welcome!

For the last weekend of May we have the following folks with races:

26 - @rootbeerkid - Medina Half Marathon (1:55:00 / N/A)
26 - @KSellers88 - Run Across Georgia (NG / NA)
26 - @flav - Ottawa 5k (24:50 / N/A)
26 - flav - Ottawa 10k (54:50 / N/A)
26 - @PaDisneyCouple (Mr) - Wineglass Glassfest 8k (45:00 / N/A)
27 - flav - Ottawa Half Marathon (2:25:00 / N/A)
27 - @BikeFan - Alexandria Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
28 - @Disney at Heart - Georgia Peach Jam Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
28 - @PrincessMickey - Bolder Boulder 10k (NG / N/A)

Good luck this weekend runners! If you would like to revise your goal or if someone else would like me to add a race to the list this weekend, just let me know.

Good luck everyone.

My legs are sore due to increased miles and attacking some new hills. Based on where it aches, I think the hill was a large contributor. My plan was to run <3 Tu, Th, & F this week and next before a more flat 10k in a week and a half. The Tu & Th runs were some of the slowest in the last year, and my legs don’t feel any better than they did at the beginning of the week. So it is not clear to me I am resting (the point of a taper?) if I am trying to run and keep my heart rate up. Is this a point where if I don’t have it I don’t have it or are there gains to be made in the next week I would miss out on if I just bike instead?

If your calves are sore and you have the ability to ride your bike, I would ride on the next couple of scheduled runs to keep the cardio going and in a few days go back to easy runs until your race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!