Southwest Early Bird Checkin

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-29619465
Southwest Adds Charge to Board Sooner
By David Koenig, AP Airlines Writer DALLAS (AP) —Your bags still fly for free on Southwest Airlines, but if you want a better chance at a window or aisle seat it's going to cost $10 each way.

Southwest announced Wednesday that customers can pay extra to reserve a spot in the boarding line right behind elite fliers and ahead of families and other travelers. Unlike other airlines, Southwest doesn't offer assigned seats.

The new offering comes after Southwest introduced new fees for minors traveling alone and for bringing a small pet on board. Southwest still doesn't charge to check the first two bags, but experts and regular passengers are starting to wonder if that's next.

Southwest, like other airlines, is desperately looking for revenue to offset a slump in traffic, especially among business travelers who usually pay higher fares for last-minute or refundable tickets.

The Dallas-based discount airline lost $37 million in the first six months of this year, and analysts expect that 2009 will be its first unprofitable year since the early 1970s.

Many analysts believe Southwest is passing up hundreds of millions of dollars a year by not charging passengers for all checked bags. CEO Gary Kelly has said bag fees drive customers away, and he has ruled them out at least through the end of 2009. No promises beyond that.

Southwest officials say they're just charging for extra services that customers want.

"The big difference between (the check-in service) and a bag fee is this is strictly optional," said Kevin Krone, Southwest's vice president of marketing.

Southwest is considering other amenities with charges, including in-flight Internet service.

"We'll continue to tinker and develop and launch," Krone said. "We're not done yet."

The airline believes the early check-in charge can raise about $75 million a year, on par with Business Select tickets, which cost more but come with extras such as early boarding and a free drink. "We'd be thrilled if it became in the hundreds of millions," Krone said.

Bob McAdoo, an analyst for Avondale Partners, is more bullish. He believes the boarding charge could raise $250 million a year. It could bring in enough money for the rest of 2009 to salvage a profitable year, he said.

McAdoo estimates that one-fourth of Southwest passengers could pay the check-in fee. Southwest declined to give an estimate.

The new $10 fee is called EarlyBird Check-in, and it was made available Wednesday for trips beginning Thursday and beyond.

Customers can pay the charge up to 25 hours before their plane is scheduled to take off, and they'll be moved toward the front of the boarding line.

The early birds will still wait behind passengers who bought more costly tickets called Business Select and elite-level frequent fliers, but they'll leapfrog over everyone else, even families traveling with small children, and they should find plenty of space in the overhead bins for their carryon luggage.

Southwest officials say that by paying the extra $10, you'll probably be among the first 30 people to board — the "A" group — although they won't promise it.

Families board next, then "B" passengers, and the last group to board Southwest planes is the "C" group. Folks in that group are usually stuck in a middle seat; Southwest's Boeing 737 jets have three seats on each side of the center aisle.

Experienced Southwest travelers go to the company's Web site precisely 24 hours before scheduled departure to be among the first to check in. They'll still be able to do that, but they may find themselves far from the front of the line.

That's good enough for Beverly Nageotte, an artist from Cloudcroft, N.M., who was waiting at Dallas Love Field for a flight back home. She said people would be silly to pay $10 extra.

"You're not going to go anywhere until everyone's on the plane anyway," she said. "I'm happy to get on the plane and hope it takes off and lands safely."

Dallas lawyer Ed Cloutman said $10 would be a bargain for harried consumers.

"Getting stuck in the middle seat is no fun," he said.

Steve Kennedy, a banker from Houston who often flies Southwest to Dallas, recalled that during its freewheeling youth in the 1970s Southwest made a splash by charging more for tickets but threw in a complimentary bottle of liquor.

"I understand in this day probably the best they can do is move you ahead in line instead of giving you a fifth," he said. "Corporations don't like that anymore."

I just booked myself and my brother and his family for the EB for our trip in October, just for the trip home from WDW.
I'm like a lot of other posters, I'll take my chances going to MCO. For the trip home I can enjoy my day at the park and not harass anyone at home to get on line to do the boarding passes.
I'm flying solo in December and I may even use the EB for my trip back too. I am going to wait until after our October trip to see how it works out.

I wouldn't use it for a solo trip. I had B31 in June and ended up in an aisle seat in row 2. I got my boarding pass at City Hall in MK about 1 1/2 hours past the 24 hour mark.

Well, judging by what I've read today alone, SW must be raking in the cash for the advance check ins and saying to themselves "OK, and why didn't we do this sooner?"

Now they're wondering if they can get away with charging $10 for a fastpass to the lavatory. No more waiting in line! :laughing:

#1 it is going to be interesting to see if there are complaints once this goes into affect. Many people have stated they are still going to do the 24 hour check in... but how will they react if they get a C pass?

#2 How are people going to act if 75 people all pay the early bird fee and some of them still get a B or C.....

#3 How are people going to react to 1 person in a party saving a bunch of seats because they didn't want to pay for everyone in their group....

Going to be interesting.......
popcorn::

Hm, where have I heard those words before??? Think, think, think....

Must be the voices inside my head - I can hear them all the way from Minnesota! ;) And they even have a German accent!

Based on this thread and several others, I suspect that the allure of SW has diminished for many travellers.

I just booked it for my return flight in September. That way I can enjoy my last day at WDW and not have to stress about hitting the 24 hour mark. I didn't bother for the flight there. I will be home that day anyway packing and such.

I don't relly like it, but the allure of traveling Southwest is still there for me. As long as the fare is competitive, I will continue to choose them because of the on time flights, quick turns and exceptional customer service.

Ok never mind. I called SW and she told me it would be a waste of $ for us. Family preboarding between A and B is not going away and it is very possible that I would pay the $ and still have to use the family preboarding because I may end up with B or C spots. She said it is meant for people who are only general boarders not for disabled or family preboarders. Thought I'd share incase anyone else was in a similar situation.

Val.

But the news release specifically said the people who paid would board BEFORE families with small children. It didn't say it was going to limit the paid pre-boarders to the number of A's they now give out. they could change the number of paid boarders to anything they wanted. At least this is how I read it. You could be boarding after what is now considered B if they decide to sell 100 pre-boarders.

I like it, if it is important to you pay if not just get on and sit anywhere because everyone gets there at the same time in the same airplane.

You just hand them your ID and tell them what flight, then ask if they could print out boarding passes for you. They can do with both inside AND Curbside.

Well I am not sure what to think about this... I think what bothers me the most is you could pay for it and get a C. There needs to be a limit IMO. A17-A60ish... That's 400 per flight (if everyone nibbles) not sure if that's enough to eek out profit...

Personally I would prefer they limit free baggage to one and charge $10 for each additional bag. But then again we average 3 bags for the 5 of us..

Thanks! :goodvibes

But the news release specifically said the people who paid would board BEFORE families with small children. It didn't say it was going to limit the paid pre-boarders to the number of A's they now give out. they could change the number of paid boarders to anything they wanted. At least this is how I read it. You could be boarding after what is now considered B if they decide to sell 100 pre-boarders.

I like it, if it is important to you pay if not just get on and sit anywhere because everyone gets there at the same time in the same airplane.

Good point. Either agent that the PP spoke to was uninformed or being very cagey with their answer.

I think this will be popular and it will surely bite if you pay the fee and still end up with a B. I would rather the playing ground be level like it was before this new method. I agree, families eligible to pre-board (4 and under) should not do this as they could still end up with a B. I'll try it, and if I find myself being a C or late B on a regular basis, I'll go back to flying Jetblue exclusively, again.

You know, I like Southwest - I appreciate their simplicity and the straight-forward nature of their scheduling and booking. I don't buy into the idea that they're always the cheapest, but they often do have a good mix of right schedule and nonstop flights for some of my destinations.

For a long time they could afford to seriously undercut the competition because they had such great fuel hedging and didn't have the same infrastructure and frills to support. (Legacy carriers have cut a lot of frills in order to compete, but there's only so much infrastructure they can change.) Times are different now - this economy has been hard for SW, their fuel advantage is running out and they're in serious need of a decent profit. The problem is that most of their customers are so used to rock-bottom fares that what is actually a reasonable fare looks outrageous. Fares this year have been consistently higher, DING fares are harder to come by and not as low as they used to be. I wonder what their loads are lately - are they up or down over same time last year?

Anyhow, my point is that if they want to remain in business, not lay people off, not have to cut service, they HAVE to find ways to bring in more money. Some of that is higher fares, but the flying public has already proven they're very resistant to higher fares. So fees will be the way to go, and given their no-frills set-up, it ought to be easy to find plenty of little add-ons that people will pay money for.

I don't begrudge them a profit, so I don't think this fee is unreasonable. I would prefer they just raise fares a couple of bucks across the board, but this is still smart - it gives them an extra revenue stream so that they can get collect this fee AND raise fares if they need to. It's also smart in that it's opt-in, so you only pay the fee if you want to. (It remains to be seen how "necessary" it will be to pay the fee.)

I'll probably pay the fee from time to time, but not automatically every time. And I'm very interested to learn how they will prioritize seat assignments among those paying the fee!

So I read the yahoo article the pp provided and then went to SW's website with its press release. The sentence in the article discussing the leapfrog wasn't a quote from the SW official nor part of the press release - so maybe the media outlet did not quite get it right? Yes you will leap frog the family preboard if you get an A, but if they aren't guranteeing an A than what's the point. Maybe they will change their boarding numbers and giving all early birds an A pass - so some flights might have 70 A's.....hmmm!

Anyway, this got me on the phone again. I called and spoke with a manager. She said that statement in the article is wrong. Their is only 60 A spots. If everyone on the plane opts to get the early bird then their will be some that get A's, some will get B's and some will get C's. Family boarding will still be between A's and B's so depending on how many people opt for the early bird you may board after them (if their were like 30 ppl and they all got A's) or you board before some of them (75 people opt for it and 30 of them got B positions).

I also asked how they would be determining who gets A25 and who gets B30 if all are doing early bird check in - she said it would based on who bought it first. She again said this is not aimed towards families or disabled. They have their family preboard policy because of car seats needing to be installed for small children and that they do not want a small child on a plane not next to a parent - scared/upset baby or toddler that can't be comforted by a parent is not good for anyone.

I will be following the SW customer service agents recommendations and not buying it this year for our family - as we are 2 parents with 2 toddlers - both of which fit into the small children category of 4 and under. If I booked SW after my 4 yo turned 5. I would probably book early bird for my husband and my older son and then do the preboard for my little guy and myself with the car seat.

Val.

I paid $120 dollars today for Early Bird for 6 of us, round trip. Not happily, but to me it is worth it. Especially for the return trip. The part I am still confused about is whether or not I will get a higher boarding pass than other Early Birds who buy it after I did. I can't seem to find that answer on their FAQ's. Does anyone know? Or, are all Early Birds, regardless of when they purchased their check-in, on an even keel? I would like to think that because I bought mine today (for a January flight) that I would be ahead of someone who buys theirs in December (or whenever).

It doesn't actually seem like it is totally based on who bought Early Bird first. From their FAQ it says:

Is there an order in which EarlyBird Check-in Boarding Passes are reserved?
Yes, Customers who have purchased Anytime Fares will receive priority over other fare types during the initial boarding position assignment.

Which sounds to me like someone who bought an Anytime Fare is going to get a better boarding pass than someone who bought a cheaper fare, even if they (the one with the Anytime fare) bought their ticket and/or Early Bird thing later.

It doesn't actually seem like it is totally based on who bought Early Bird first. From their FAQ it says:

Which sounds to me like someone who bought an Anytime Fare is going to get a better boarding pass than someone who bought a cheaper fare, even if they (the one with the Anytime fare) bought their ticket and/or Early Bird thing later.

We got our tickets by transferring AmEx Membership Rewards points to Rapid Rewards, so all we paid was $2.50 per ticket. I wonder where that puts us? :confused3

I just purchased it for our upcoming trip, Sept. 11-18 from St. Louis to Orlando. There are 5 of us - 4 adults and one 3-year-old. Even though we could board after the A group with the 3-year-old, my understanding is only one adult was allowed to do this with the child...which means the other 3 members of our party could have been split up from us. It was worth it to me for two reasons:

1. All members of our party can sit together...very important since this is our first trip together and my 3-year-old's first ever flight.
2. We don't have to mess with checking in for our flight home at WDW 24 hours before our trip. That would have been right in the middle of our 'Ohana dinner, which would have been a pain.

We'll see how it goes. I must say, if we pay for this and we board and there are individuals saving seats for others, I have NO problems confronting them.

I signed up for it. We leave Saturday on our first vacation in seven years, so I figured what the heck...$40 isn't a terrible price to pay for a little extra peace of mind. (Assuming, of course, that we're not in the "C" early bird group!)

Would've been nice if we could have paid with some of the credit balance we have with SW, though. C'est la vie.

I'm sorry, I should have clarified. She indicated it was order of purchase within fare class. So Anytime first and then Wanna Get Away. I was asking her direct questions on my situation (We bought Wanna Get Away Fares) and what happened if boarding policies changed after the new year (we are flying in February) and we would have to add it then, how would they determine position, etc.

I just purchased it for our upcoming trip, Sept. 11-18 from St. Louis to Orlando. There are 5 of us - 4 adults and one 3-year-old. Even though we could board after the A group with the 3-year-old, my understanding is only one adult was allowed to do this with the child...which means the other 3 members of our party could have been split up from us. It was worth it to me for two reasons:

1. All members of our party can sit together...very important since this is our first trip together and my 3-year-old's first ever flight.
2. We don't have to mess with checking in for our flight home at WDW 24 hours before our trip. That would have been right in the middle of our 'Ohana dinner, which would have been a pain.

We'll see how it goes. I must say, if we pay for this and we board and there are individuals saving seats for others, I have NO problems confronting them.

There's never any guarantee adults will sit together. At least one adult WILL sit with the little one. You've paid for a pass (not a guaranteed seat location). About seat "savers"...If you can't see seats together, but do see ones that appear to be "saved", quickly talk to a flight attendant. I think your chances of working things out in your favor are far better if you use the attendant to speak to them, rather than you confronting folks who are boldly saving seats. :thumbsup2
This early pass will be especially annoying if one party in the group pays, and then hops on and saves a row. I have to believe the attendants will stop this. I hope it doesn't happen, but some people will likely attempt to save a buck AND make sure they get what they want, because they're special.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter