Southwest Early Bird Checkin

DisneyDadNY

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Looks like Southwest has a new checkin program as of this morning.

http://www.southwest.com/flight/early-bird-retrieve-reservation.html

For a fee of $10.00 one way (not sure yet per person or per confirmation#)

We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-in doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.

* While the best EarlyBird Check-in boarding positions will be assigned 36 hours prior to the flight's scheduled departure time, Customers are eligible to purchase EarlyBird Check-in up until 25 hours prior to the flight's scheduled departure time.

* EarlyBird Check-in is designed for passengers who have purchased electronic tickets at the Wanna Get Away Fare, Anytime Fare, Senior Fare or DING! Fare

* EarlyBird Check-in is not available to all Customers
o Priority boarding privileges are already included with the purchase of Business Select

o EarlyBird Check-in is an automatic benefit of being on the Rapid Rewards A-List

Going to have to do some reading up on this..........

Here is the FAQ from the Southwest site:

http://www.southwest.com/flight/early-bird-faq.html#earlyBirdCheckInFAQs

Hmm, sounds like all of those companies like boardfirst.com gave Southwest a great idea!

It isn't worth it for me to pay the $10. I am right on the button at 24 hours before and have always gotten an A pass.

Interesting - thanks for posting.

For most of our flights I can just check us in at 24 hours.

I must admit though, this will be tempting for those return flights from WDW when I can't have a family member do it. If I have a great fare it may be worth the extra $10 not to have to wait at guest relations and take time out of the parks......

TJ

Not interested. For our family of four it would be $80 rt which is more than an extra rt ticket!!
I just hope we won't start seeing one person buying an early bird ticket then trying to save seats for the rest of their group.

I'll have to consider this for my family for our return flights in December so we don't have to stop what we're doing to go to Guest Services or a concierge desk during out trip. On our outbound flight, I don't mind getting online at the 24 hour mark and I know that our airport isn't a hub that will have passengers continuing from elsewhere.

I'm hoping to hear between now and December how this seems to affect boarding positions for those logging in 24 hours before flights.

It will be interesting to see how many people use this service. If a lot of people do, then checking in right at 24 hours may no longer get you an A boarding pass (since they are taken by those using the early-bird service).

It will be interesting to see how many people use this service. If a lot of people do, then checking in right at 24 hours may no longer get you an A boarding pass (since they are taken by those using the early-bird service).

That's what I was thinking as well.

When you consider the low fares of SWA, adding that $10 (which is less than some airlines charge for the 1st checked bag) it may be more appealing than I first thought. Especially for familes with younger kids or those that just want/need to sit together for various reasons.

TJ

I agree -- I see this as helpful while cruising. I will pay if this is the only way to get an A BP, but only when I've paid dirt cheap fares -- like I just did for January and March ($54 ec way).

Ok, this is PERFECT for a Disney trip - you don't even have to think about being near a computer or Guest SErvices counter at 24 hours. Print out your boarding pass later....or just at the airport.

Ok, got to run now....I'm, going to enter ALL my upcoming Southwest flights.

Thanks!

Exactly what I was thinking. Although I hate being dinged to death (no pun intended), it will be worth $10.00 each to guarantee an A pass.

Exactly what I was thinking. Although I hate being dinged to death (no pun intended), it will be worth $10.00 each to guarantee an A pass.

But there is no guarantee of an A pass, even with the Early Bird Service.

We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-in doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.

Yes, I just read the FAQ on their site and it does not guarantee the A BP. It depends how many other early birds got in before you. So it would really stink to pay the fee and still get an B, but I guess eventually if you don't pay the fee, then you'll have to be OK with a C boarding pass. This will not be good for those families not willing to pay and can not use the preboard. My daughter most likely would not use it since she has a 2 yo and 4 yo. But we may for our flight home, but not the flight down. My understanding is that you DON't have to log on to get your boarding assignment...correct. This is done automatically for you...right?

Quick question.

How do I use Guest Services at the parks to check my party in for a Southwest flight?

Just checked this out, evidently you can't use your "credits" to cover the fee. I have $40 in credits that I hoped to use for this service, but it doesn't allow for this entry only a credit card payment.:confused3

I might do it on my return flight. We're supposed to be having dinner at the 24 hour mark the day before I depart Orlando. Last time I just signed up for internet service on my phone for the month and checked in that way. However, the fee for that has increased and is now about the same.

So it would be $60 for me to do this for us RT for our upcoming trip. I don't feel like it's worth that. However, it might be worth the $30 for the return flight only just so I don't have to worry about checking in the day before. I'm such an anxiety-prone person and I spend every minute worrying about checking in until I've done it. I think the $30 might be worth it to alleviate that concern.

So if you do the early bird check in, it just gives you a boarding number correct? You get ahead of those checking in at the 24h mark, but you just get a boarding position? They aren't actually assigned seats right?
I just want to make sure I understand.

I saw this link on my receipt this morning and shrugged it off. On the way down I have no problem checking in at 24 hours. It's when I'm off in the parks at that time I have to schedule time to go to customer service and hope the lines aren't too long. I typically end up in B this way which works out fine for us - but one of these days I won't be so lucky.

So they're not telling us that we'll be the first checked in at the 24 hour mark. Just that they'll do it for us. Hmmmm....

Another thought... I assume if we pay to be checked in and then rebook the flight we get credit or a refund for this service and then have to rebook the check-in.

Over time it might just be worth it to upgrade my phone though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter