• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Southwest Early Bird Checkin

So if you do the early bird check in, it just gives you a boarding number correct? You get ahead of those checking in at the 24h mark, but you just get a boarding position? They aren't actually assigned seats right?
I just want to make sure I understand.

SWA does not assign seats. You get a boarding position like A15, A30 or B07. This will not put you in front of Business class or those who are disabled and need assistance. It might put you in front of those boarding with young children... but then there are times I want to know where they're sitting before choosing my seat. :laughing:

Quick question.

How do I use Guest Services at the parks to check my party in for a Southwest flight?

Just bring your confirmation number and ID with you to guest relations and ask the CM to check you in. Arrive early in case you have to wait in line.

TJ

So they're not telling us that we'll be the first checked in at the 24 hour mark. Just that they'll do it for us. Hmmmm....

They'll do it at the 36 hour mark (assuming you've bought your ticket and signed up by them) - so well ahead of those who start checking in at the 24 hour mark.

I would be interested to see how it works out once someone uses this.
Maybe we can get some reviews over the next month or so.
Will you boarding number just get filled in at the 24h mark? I guess you should be able to look it up before going to the airport.
I'm sure more info to come
I love what the pp said about looking to see where the kids are sitting:rotfl:

Once people who start checking in right at the 24 hour mark are assigned B55 and up... everyone will be paying the $10 fee just to get near the A group.

So, now people will have to set their alarms for the 36 hour mark instead of the 24 AND get out a credit card.

Nice revenue stream, SWA! :)

My guess is that it will quickly get to the point where even purchasing the Early Bird service will still produce a C boarding pass. The only way to get an A will be to book the flight *and* Early Bird on the first day when the schedules open.
It is a brilliant revenue-enhancing move on Southwest's part but not one that makes me want to continue flying with them.

I'm not liking this at all.
I was A-list for awhile, due to business travel. Think I may have to get back to that status.

Main thing that concerns me is since TSA is now doing some bag checks/ID checks at the gate. I got bumped from my A16 boarding position once because of that and didn't get my exit row seat I wanted. Now, if I PAY for a better boarding position and lose it because of TSA stopping me from being in my place in line, I would not be very happy.
Also, the SW gate agents better start making sure they don't let people cut in line like they do sometimes.

But then, since I travel alone or with one other most of the time, it shouldn't *really* be a big deal to me.

We have always just taken our luck at the airport for our boarding passes on the return flight.

Instead of using Guest Services....could I have my mom at home check us in at the 24 hr mark on the SW site? If so, could I print the pass at guest services or just have SW print it at the airport:confused3 or could she print it and fax to our resort to our attention?

TIA

It is a brilliant revenue-enhancing move on Southwest's part but not one that makes me want to continue flying with them.

Agreed. Jet Blue is looking better and better with every change SWA makes. The only reason I keep flying SWA is flying Jetblue means going out of Boston. I prefer TF Green.

Once people who start checking in right at the 24 hour mark are assigned B55 and up... everyone will be paying the $10 fee just to get near the A group.

So, now people will have to set their alarms for the 36 hour mark instead of the 24 AND get out a credit card.

Nice revenue stream, SWA! :)

One of SWA's biggest draws is the lack of fees. I don't see this any different than charging someone for advance seat assignments... SWA is just getting in line with the other carriers......

It will be interesting to see how many people use it. If 50 tickets use early bird, then someone who logs in right at the 24 hour mark will end up being behind all of those people, I would assume.

Should be interesting....

Duds

The other question:

If 50 people take this option, in what order are they assigned boarding passes? Time of ticket purchase? Time of purchase of the option (may or may not be at time of ticket purchase)? Can you find out how many people are already doing the early bird thing before you decide to sign up?

I don't disagree, Duds. Lack of fees is a great marketing slogan for a company whose fares can often be higher than competitors' fares. It does make people feel like they are getting a great deal and, in somes case, they are.

It will be interesting to see how the computer processes these. On legacy carriers, first class upgrades go by a strict formula based on elite status, fare class, date of purchase etc. There has to be some basis for these, such as fare or fare class, when the Early Bird was purchased etc.

Well, I just added the early bird option for my return flight in October. I don't love paying anything extra, but I'm willing to pay $30 for a test run in hopes that it makes my vacation more enjoyable to have one less thing to worry about. Total RT for 3 tickets out of Chicago Midway is still $579. Which - while definitely not the cheapest fare I've had for the MDW-MCO trip - is still definitely way less than I can find on any other airline for the same dates. Even if I booked on SWA today, it would cost me over $200 more.

OK, SWA has grabbed enough of my money over the past 72 hours I figured why not toss another $30 at them to try this. :laughing: I would venture as the Early Bird option was just released today that I'm within the first few folks to buy it. Come Dec, our trip home we'll see just how well they do getting us near the front of the line. If I'm near the end of the As I'll be questioning the system.

Hope is that I won't be running worried on my b-day trying to make sure we're checked in on time. Who wants to be reminded that they're leaving on their last day there anyway?

I will not buy the Earlybird option for our Feb trip as I'm still not happy with the timing of our flights & how they'll handle the EB funds placed on a changed flight has me concerned.

SWA's proletariat nature would seem to dictate order of purchase... but who knows?

It will be interesting to see how the computer processes these. On legacy carriers, first class upgrades go by a strict formula based on elite status, fare class, date of purchase etc. There has to be some basis for these, such as fare or fare class, when the Early Bird was purchased etc.

SW has said the BP sequence number will be based on when the passenger purchased the Early Bird Option.

A variety of services demonstrated some passengers would pay extra for an automated checkin, and a lower BP. I don't blame SW, but it kind of makes a mockery of SWs no fees ads. This is no different then airlines that charge extra for an assigned seat at the time of booking but offers an assigned seat (no charge) at the time of OLCI.

Ah, but what is interesting is that there isn't much in the way of outrage/backlash---even by the Southwest No Fee Faithful.

So, either Southwest has so much brand loyalty that it doesn't matter, or people have been expecting something like this all along.

We decided to try the Early Bird service on our flight home from WDW on September 26. I purchased it this morning shortly after it was announced so we'll see how it works. I didn't feel like it was worth it for our flight to Orlando since I will be at my computer 24 hours before and can easily get us checked in. But not having to worrying about checking in while we are in Epcot on the 25th enjoying the Food & Wine Festival is worth the extra $10 per person for us. I'll be sure to report back on how it works out.

We have always just taken our luck at the airport for our boarding passes on the return flight.

Instead of using Guest Services....could I have my mom at home check us in at the 24 hr mark on the SW site? If so, could I print the pass at guest services or just have SW print it at the airport:confused3 or could she print it and fax to our resort to our attention?

TIA

Yes, you can have your mom check you in at the 24 hour mark. No need to print your pass at guest services or have your mom print and fax it to you. Simply reprint your boarding pass at the airport, either when you check your bags or at any SWA kiosk before you get to security.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter