Southwest Early Bird Checkin

Ah, but what is interesting is that there isn't much in the way of outrage/backlash---even by the Southwest No Fee Faithful.

So, either Southwest has so much brand loyalty that it doesn't matter, or people have been expecting something like this all along.

I feel that I have been pretty loyal to SWA but this move has left a lot of questions and an unexplanable bad taste in my mouth. I think it's interesting to read some of the posts on Flyertalk because they are bringing up some very good points.

I don't know how this is going to work or be effectively enforced. They can't seem to enforce boarding order as it is and this just adds to that. Are they going to limit the number of these Early Birds; and if not, are you going to get your money back once you find you're in the "C" group because all of the other families leaving Orlando decided to pay for the early check-in? As I previously stated, will they make sure that one person doesn't pay for early check in then get on the plane and save seats for the rest of their party?

This will not be the end of the 'optional fees' from SWA. Don't forget that they're rolling out the Wi-Fi and that will not be free. I understand SWA is a business but I don't want to see them nickle and diming me because as we've been seeing with other airlines--it's a slippery slope.

I can't wait to hear some first-hand reports over the next several months!

When we flew to Orlando in March, we checked in at 24 hours and got B boarding passes. Because there were so may single fliers on the plane, we as a family of 3 were unable to sit together.

We are flying to Baltimore in October. Because of the length of the flight, we are going to try the Early Bird for each way to see how it goes, hoping it will improve our chances of sitting together. I don't think we would use it for shorter flights. I also like the idea of not having to check in for our return flight right at 24 hours. Instead, we can print our boarding pass after we return to our hotel the night before we leave.

I don't know how this is going to work or be effectively enforced. They can't seem to enforce boarding order as it is and this just adds to that.

I have flown SWA exclusively for years. Since the implementation of the new boarding system, I have never seen SWA have a problem with effectively enforcing the boarding order. You still have people who either don't understand or think they are somehow above everybody else waiting in line and try to board ahead of them, but I have seen these people sent back to their place in line by the gate agents.

Now, seat saving is another story. I would like to see flight attendants better manage this practice. I have no doubt that people will only pay the Early Bird for one in their party and then try to save seats for the rest. Heck, I even thought of doing that myself. But, it is not fair and I hope that SWA will better enforce the no seat saving policy.

I would be interested to see how it works out once someone uses this.
Maybe we can get some reviews over the next month or so.
Agreed. I'm very interested in seeing how this changes things. I'm real good at getting anywhere from A16-A20 for my family. But I wonder how far back the 24 hour check-in people will get pushed. The 24 hour folks may very likely end up with B or C. Most flights, I think have 60 spots for A. Assuming A1-A15 end up as Business Select (unlikely) that means 45 people could buy the rest of the A slots. Very likely considering it's automatic check in. I just signed up for my daughter's trip home from college as Thanksgiving.
BD

Yes, you can have your mom check you in at the 24 hour mark. No need to print your pass at guest services or have your mom print and fax it to you. Simply reprint your boarding pass at the airport, either when you check your bags or at any SWA kiosk before you get to security.

Thanks

This was announced today? I paid for it for my flights this month --9/8 and 9/16. I am travelling with my 6 and 9 year olds and the thought of not sitting together is making me anxious. I'd much rather just buy a seat though .

I haven't flown SW in a few years -- is the boarding process obvious and orderly or should I be reading up on it?

I saw this link on my receipt this morning and shrugged it off. On the way down I have no problem checking in at 24 hours. It's when I'm off in the parks at that time I have to schedule time to go to customer service and hope the lines aren't too long. I typically end up in B this way which works out fine for us - but one of these days I won't be so lucky.

So they're not telling us that we'll be the first checked in at the 24 hour mark. Just that they'll do it for us. Hmmmm....

Another thought... I assume if we pay to be checked in and then rebook the flight we get credit or a refund for this service and then have to rebook the check-in.

Over time it might just be worth it to upgrade my phone though.

Nope, it is non refundable. If you change your flight it's gone, NOW, I dont know if it would affect a change in rate ie: modifying a non ding rate. But it says that it wont be refunded if you change (ie: a different conf # I would guess)

Agreed. Jet Blue is looking better and better with every change SWA makes. The only reason I keep flying SWA is flying Jetblue means going out of Boston. I prefer TF Green.

I'm not really familiar with any other real 'changes' SWA has made recently?
Ah, but what is interesting is that there isn't much in the way of outrage/backlash---even by the Southwest No Fee Faithful.

So, either Southwest has so much brand loyalty that it doesn't matter, or people have been expecting something like this all along.

Well, the tickets are going to cost me the same. I still have all the perks as before, no baggage fees etc. I just wont have as good of a boarding#. Now, I ALWAYS made sure to get checked in at 24 hours. I've never not had an A pass. I may not like it so much when I get a B or C and have to split up.. But as it stands, this fee doesnt 'cost' me anything.

I feel that I have been pretty loyal to SWA but this move has left a lot of questions and an unexplanable bad taste in my mouth. I think it's interesting to read some of the posts on Flyertalk because they are bringing up some very good points.

I don't know how this is going to work or be effectively enforced. They can't seem to enforce boarding order as it is and this just adds to that. Are they going to limit the number of these Early Birds; and if not, are you going to get your money back once you find you're in the "C" group because all of the other families leaving Orlando decided to pay for the early check-in? As I previously stated, will they make sure that one person doesn't pay for early check in then get on the plane and save seats for the rest of their party?

This will not be the end of the 'optional fees' from SWA. Don't forget that they're rolling out the Wi-Fi and that will not be free. I understand SWA is a business but I don't want to see them nickle and diming me because as we've been seeing with other airlines--it's a slippery slope.

I can't wait to hear some first-hand reports over the next several months!

I've flown 7 or 8 trips in with SWA since Dec 07 and I've NEVER had any boarding issues. Someone may be lined up 2 or 3 numbers off, but have never had a ton of people pre-boarding with someone or anything else that I thought was unfair. As far as the 'saving seats' they can try, but I dont know how far it will get them. And as far as wifi, again, it doesnt change my fees to get from point A to point B, it is an extra that I can purchase if I want. Checked bag fees 'cost' me more, sure you can try to use carry ons, but I'm sure that's a low percentage of people overall that screw up the whole carry on thing.

I dont really like probably not having an A pass anymore becuase I bet LOTS of people will take advantage of it. I would guess that 25-30% of each flight will be using it fairly soon, and I bet that will rise as time goes on. Again, I think it's a great way to get some extra cash, and still not change your rates or your luggage policy.

After I try it a time or 2 I'll have to decide if I'll pay the extra, will just do 24 hr checkin or will fly a different airline..

This was announced today? I paid for it for my flights this month --9/8 and 9/16. I am travelling with my 6 and 9 year olds and the thought of not sitting together is making me anxious. I'd much rather just buy a seat though .

I haven't flown SW in a few years -- is the boarding process obvious and orderly or should I be reading up on it?

They will have screens at the gate that steps you thru it, and SW has a 'how to' on their site I believe.. And the gate attendant will help also.

I refuse to pay for the early bird boarding pass. Well, at least for now! LOL!!

Flying PHL-MCO in a couple weeks, and am going to print my BPs the old fashioned way, and see how we make out! I always liked loggin in at T-24 to get a low number for bulkhead or exit row purposes, but if the early bird is just going to get me an boring old A (with no guarantees) I'd rather save the money and just get a B.

Nope, it is non refundable. If you change your flight it's gone, NOW, I dont know if it would affect a change in rate ie: modifying a non ding rate. But it says that it wont be refunded if you change (ie: a different conf # I would guess)

Glad I didn't book it for our Feb trip home yet then :laughing: I'm planning on stalking the website until I get a better time to leave. Ya know, being seperated from my kids on the flight home might not be such a bad idea :rolleyes1

I'm not really familiar with any other real 'changes' SWA has made recently?

I can't think of any either - so why'd I say that? Probably because we're not seeing very many PVD-MCO dings anymore, and the prices are crazy.

Unrelated: One thing I do miss terribly was the fun the attendants used to have on the flights. Every once in a blue moon you'll come across a crew that still understands silliness can help pass the time and relieve tension, but they're rare.

Unrelated: One thing I do miss terribly was the fun the attendants used to have on the flights. Every once in a blue moon you'll come across a crew that still understands silliness can help pass the time and relieve tension, but they're rare.

You know, all of my flight have been so 'un-tense' that I think things are moving smoothly and on time that they really dont have time for them. Since my flights are usually 2 leggers of only about 45-60 flight time each, they dont have a lot of time to have fun :(. That being said, I flew CMH - BWI last week and the person doing the safety speech at the start had 2 that I caught. One was the infamous 'If you will pretend to pay attention to me, let me tell you some of the safety features of our 737' the other one was 'in the event of a loss of pressure in the cabin, 4 masks will drop down. Please stop screaming and yelling long enough to put your masks on'. I think they did, 'and as always this is a non-whining, non-crying and non-smoking flight'

I will admit, the best one was my FIRST TRIP TO WDW. Early Sat AM, CMH-MCO, my wife and I are just excited as heck and after we land at MCO taxing to the gate one of them got on the PA and sang the LUV song. I forget how it went, but she was VERY talented and it REALLY started the vacation off *magically* :wizard:

What I found interesting is that they didn't say they would automatically check you in AT 36 hours, but WITHIN 36 HOURS

So, what exactly does that mean. Anytime between 24 and 36 hours? I don't like giving "people" that much control over me and my vacation....I have a trust issue.....obviously.

It will be interesting to see how many people use this service. If a lot of people do, then checking in right at 24 hours may no longer get you an A boarding pass (since they are taken by those using the early-bird service).

I will DEFINITELY be using this service.

What I found interesting is that they didn't say they would automatically check you in AT 36 hours, but WITHIN 36 HOURS

So, what exactly does that mean. Anytime between 24 and 36 hours? I don't like giving "people" that much control over me and my vacation....I have a trust issue.....obviously.

From SWA's website:

When are EarlyBird Check-in Customers' boarding pass positions reserved?
EarlyBird Check-in Customers will be checked in automatically and receive a reserved boarding position 36 hours prior to their flight's scheduled departure time. Customers who purchase EarlyBird Check-in between 36 and 25 hours prior to their flight's scheduled departure time will have their boarding position reserved 25 hours prior to their flight's scheduled departure time. Boarding Passes can be printed beginning 24 hours prior to the flight's scheduled departure time.

I guess as long as SW checks in everyone that purchased early bird before others can start checking in at the 24h mark, it doesn't really matter how long before (36hr vs 25hr prior)
I agree that with this new available extra, ones not paying for it will probably be boarding B or even C group in the future.

DD (24) & I will be returning from MCO on 9/30, a Wednesday, at 5:15PM. We always check in at whichever park we're at & have always gotten A passes at the 24 hr mark. It would only cost $20 to use the early bird & our flights are already VERY reasonable ($69 down & $79 back). However, I'm wondering how busy a flight ours will be and whether A passes can be had even if we check in as usual. But early bird would save me the trouble of stopping in at Guest Services on our last day (my b-day too!). Hmmm, how cheap am I???

I guess I'll wait & see if we get any feedback in the next week or so. I also keep checking our flight & can still book 8 seats at the lowest price so my guess is its not nearly full yet.

Not interested. For our family of four it would be $80 rt which is more than an extra rt ticket!!
I just hope we won't start seeing one person buying an early bird ticket then trying to save seats for the rest of their group.

I AGREE! I admit I thought about it myself for a minute...then pictured dh boarding early, alone, w/ a carry-on and trying to save 3 add'l seats! :rolleyes1 He would be totally stressed!! :scared1: I then picture at some point someone saying "foget it, I'm sitting here" and messing it all up.:mad: And THEN what??? DH fights for something he shouldn't really be saving? (I mean that verbally folks) or does he give up, look around and realize, dang, now there's nothing near here for us to be together! So he starts moving back in the plane trying to find 4 seats together:eek: just at the time I'm boarding w/ the kids. Can you just see the exchange between us? :rolleyes1

Ya, not a good scenario. While I'd like to say we'll take our chances and not purchase this option....I think we probably will for our return flight from Orlando. Just makes things less stressful. :goodvibes

Hi, I have already seen family/friends saving seats for others,some had A and some had C BP's:sad2:. IMHO this is going to cause MAJOR problems for SWA. Too many will just purchase this for 1 member of the party and that person will SAVE seats for the rest. How many will want to challenge this and then have to sit next to that person that saved the seats?? Unless SW is going to make you purchase this for ALL members of your traveling party,I see it causing major headaches. Joan

If we do add this service, do we need to check in anymore??? I usually have my boarding passes printed by the skycab on both legs of our journey anyway. Does this mean no more checking in on line at all?? I just show up at the airport and get my boarding number when the sky cab gives me my ticket? :confused3

If we do add this service, do we need to check in anymore??? I usually have my boarding passes printed by the skycab on both legs of our journey anyway. Does this mean no more checking in on line at all?? I just show up at the airport and get my boarding number when the sky cab gives me my ticket? :confused3

That's how I'm reading it. SWA will check in for you. You can go in at the 24hour mark and print your boarding passes, or wait until you get to the airport, but you won't have to worry about beating everybody else to the punch to get an "A."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter