Seven Dwarfs Loading - Bizarre Things

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, you are right, We rarely if ever wait in lines anymore and I've always done rider switch with a fast pass. So yes, that could slow it down a bit, and people cheating with fast passes to get more fast passes with rider switch makes it worse.

I'm trying to follow your comment here sorry bear with me here.

Why would people who need Rider Switch likely should have had fast passes anyway? Any person, who fits the qualifications, can use Rider Switch.

The description Disney uses on their website makes no mention of actual Fast Passes at all.

To put it another way here's the list of attractions where Rider Switch is available:
View attachment 265340

Now with MK you don't have tiers at this time but with Epcot you would only be able to get a FP for FEA, Soarin' OR TT not all 3 of them because all 3 of those are Tier 1 FPs (unless you get one as a 4th FP) despite Rider Switch being available for all 3 attractions.

Also for example we do know that 7DMT (as this was the original topic of the thread) can be a difficult FP to get so it is a possibility that even if a family knew they would need to use Rider Switch they may have been unable to get a FP for it.

Rider Switch availability isn't tied to FP availability as far as capacity per hour. From what I'm understanding, to Disney, Rider Switch and FP are not connected at least in the way I think you're thinking.

I'm not too sure that rider switch doesn't increase wait times but that's not the point of this thread. The reason I brought it up was as an example that it's ok to increase wait times if there is a good reason for it.

As long as it is only your wait time (the person who makes the request) and not anyone else's, sure. But if you don't want your kid to sit next to a stranger, then bring enough adults with you so this doesn't happen. Personal responsibility is a good thing.

Yes and so does rider switch (delays other people) For me, personally, I think it's reasonable for a solo rider to ask not to be next to a kid on 7DMT (or an adult since the seats are SO tight) I also think it's ok for a family to ask that a strange adult isn't put next to their kid. I don't think it should be done automatically. But as a request? Yes. This is just my opinion. There are lots of things that slow down the rides. I don't see the difference here.

I do, as it's a personal preference, not a logistics issue.

Yes, a parent can sit on each end. But I have six kids. And at this time I had 5 on the ride with one parent. And I can assure you, I never even thought this would ever happen on a ride at Disney. I have always (and still do) make my kids always have a partner. We just got back from Disney and always have my kids have a partner. I do realize my family is unique because we have a larger family and they are close in age. But none of this matters. None of this changes the facts. IT CAN HAPPEN ANYWHERE!!! If my story helps save a child from what my daughter went through, then it's worth telling my story.

Actually, the size of your family does matter - so many kids, not enough adults to be with them. If you had had more adults with you, I bet your daughter would have been seated next to one of them. That might not have stopped the assault, but I'm thinking the perv might have thought twice about it. There's no way you could have possibly known this though, and it is not your daughter's fault, or your fault she was assaulted - no victim blaming, just pointing out that it did matter that you had so many kids and few adults. Something others who have a large family might think about before they travel to WDW or any other hot touristy place for kids.

If you had had more adults with you, I bet your daughter would have been seated next to one of them. That might not have stopped the assault, but I'm thinking the perv might have thought twice about it.

There's no way you could have possibly known this though, and it is not your daughter's fault, or your fault she was assaulted - no victim blaming, just pointing out that it did matter that you had so many kids and few adults.

Pointing out that the assault probably would not have happened if the mother had brought more adults with her - how is that not placing blame on the mother?

As long as it is only your wait time (the person who makes the request) and not anyone else's, sure. But if you don't want your kid to sit next to a stranger, then bring enough adults with you so this doesn't happen. Personal responsibility is a good thing.

I don't have to do this.

But I'm ok with waiting a bit longer in line if it helps someone else, whether a child or an adult, be more comfortable and enjoy their experience more.

[But if you don't want your kid to sit next to a stranger, then bring enough adults with you so this doesn't happen. Personal responsibility is a good thing./QUOTE]

So single moms can never go to Disney? Or what about families who don't have grandparents to come along? We are not talking neglect here. This is a pervert who would take risks to molest a child in ways that responsible parents would never be able to predict. Don't blame the victims.

But if you don't want your kid to sit next to a stranger, then bring enough adults with you so this doesn't happen. Personal responsibility is a good thing.
Nah personal responsibility doesn't have anything to do with this at all and I'm one who is on that side of the argument when it comes to airline stuff (no I'm not trying to bring that into this though). "Bring enough adults" is honestly just odd to say in this situation.

Do you have children?

Not the poster you were replying to but: Yes, I do have children. And, I used to be a sex crimes investigator, specializing in crimes against children. I have seen and heard so much in my day. But, I have studied the statistics. I have studied the workings of offender's minds. I have reviewed an unbelievable number of cases. And all of this gives me the confidence to let my kids loose in the world, armed with the tools they need to avoid being a victim. I am far more concerned about the classmate's father who insists on tickling my daughter when she visits her friend than I am of a stranger on EE or 7Dmt.

Not the poster you were replying to but: Yes, I do have children. And, I used to be a sex crimes investigator, specializing in crimes against children. I have seen and heard so much in my day. But, I have studied the statistics. I have studied the workings of offender's minds. I have reviewed an unbelievable number of cases. And all of this gives me the confidence to let my kids loose in the world, armed with the tools they need to avoid being a victim. I am far more concerned about the classmate's father who insists on tickling my daughter when she visits her friend than I am of a stranger on EE or 7Dmt.
Again, all correct statistically speaking. Agreed.

Can you also understand some parents not thinking it's worth taking even the tiniest risk for something as unimportant as a theme park ride?

I can respect both stances as a parent.

Again, all correct statistically speaking. Agreed.

Can you also understand some parents not thinking it's worth taking even the tiniest risk for something as unimportant as a theme park ride?

I can respect both stances as a parent.
Most definitely. And the solution to that would be not riding, rather than expecting my child to get to ride with no one next to them.

Most definitely. And the solution to that would be not riding, rather than expecting my child to get to ride with no one next to them.
Disagree.

I would personally skip the ride. But I think it's reasonable for someone to ask. Again: Disney accommodates all sorts of requests -- needs and desires -- all the time. They don't HAVE TO, but it's good business to. Which is why they do.

I took my five year old son and ten year old daughter on SDMT back in May and we had a very bizarre experience. This was the first time in our extensive travels to Disney they ever sat one of my kids with a stranger. They wanted to put my daughter in a car with a stranger (female). I asked her if she was ok with it and she said yes. Then the family they were putting her with switched themsevles (it was an older woman, a younger woman, and a young man) and put the male in the car with her. I asked her again if she was ok with it and she said yes. All while the CM's are screaming at me to get in and sit down. It would've saved them time in my case to just let her ride alone. Then we get off the ride and the guy she was sitting with gave me an earful about how rude my child was because she didn't speak to him. Sorry buddy, she's hearing impaired and primarily communicates with ASL. But how rude are you for ASSuming she was just ignoring you? My daughter was molested by a teacher when she was much younger. The statistics and our experience say you should be more worried about the familiar people, not strangers. It still did not make me comfortable with them sitting her with a stranger. It still did not make HER (most important!) comfortable, because when we went to ride SDMT later in the trip she said she did not want to go back on it if they were going to make her sit, "with a strange guy who won't quit bugging me." That whole trip was a nightmare from beginning to end, actually. So much so that I wrote to guest services and got a phone call a few days later and we were compensated very VERY generously for the unbelievable number of very un-Disneylike things that happened. One of the things I specifically brought up was that it did not feel right sitting her with a male. The CM on the phone said that was definitely not supposed to be policy, not on SDMT or any other ride.

Thanks for sharing your account.

All while the CM's are screaming at me to get in and sit down. It would've saved them time in my case to just let her ride alone.
Not surprised.

One of the things I specifically brought up was that it did not feel right sitting her with a male. The CM on the phone said that was definitely not supposed to be policy, not on SDMT or any other ride.
:thumbsup2 No reason it would be to Disney's benefit to create such seating arrangements. None.

It disheartens me a little that people say they'd put their kid in a ride vehicle with a woman and not a man. We are, and always will be, a family of 3. Someone is always going to be the "odd man out" on rides that seat 2 across. I always thought we would trade off, but now I'm concerned that someone is going to take offense to being seated next to my husband. He is a kind, gentle man, and really is much nicer than I am. He is an amazing father to our son. I'd rather sit next to him on a ride than me.

It disheartens me a little that people say they'd put their kid in a ride vehicle with a woman and not a man. We are, and always will be, a family of 3. Someone is always going to be the "odd man out" on rides that seat 2 across. I always thought we would trade off, but now I'm concerned that someone is going to take offense to being seated next to my husband. He is a kind, gentle man, and really is much nicer than I am. He is an amazing father to our son. I'd rather sit next to him on a ride than me.
I also wonder, if people are expecting a CM to make a man and a woman switch seats so the woman is next to the unknown child instead, how would that really work? Would that not be some sort of discriminatory issue?

It's about stats and risk level -- obviously not personal.

Again -- I'm in the camp who'd ride with my young kids or skip a ride -- gender wouldn't be a deciding factor for me, but stats obviously show one is a more likely threat (i.e. greater risk). Overall risk still small in this circumstance, as has been discussed a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter