Seven Dwarfs Loading - Bizarre Things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about this... I don't know the answer for sure... could you have (i.e. would Disney have let you) sat the kids next to one another, with you seated immediately behind them? You're the adult responsible for both of them, and from that vantage point you could watch them both, without having another adult in that position. Logically, either you being BEHIND the kids counts as you supervising them per Disney, OR Disney effectively put that gentleman in charge of riding with your son (i.e. satisfying the "under 7 must ride with an adult" rule)...

My kids are 19mos apart, but this issue just didn't come up when they were that young. However, I am certain that a similar situation did arise when they were, say 5 and 6.5. Both under 7, but they sat next to each other while I sat where I could see them.

I was told by the CM that I would need to sit with one of them, and the other would have to ride solo. I sat with my niece because she's younger, and it was her first time riding, so I wanted to be close to her if she was afraid. I know my son and I trust him to sit in his seat for the whole ride - in other words, I knew the person next to him wouldn't have to help him in any way. I trust my little guy in a situation like this, and have no problem with him riding next to a solo rider. But that's me and my son, I understand if other parents feel differently.

I was told by the CM that I would need to sit with one of them, and the other would have to ride solo. I sat with my niece because she's younger, and it was her first time riding, so I wanted to be close to her if she was afraid. I know my son and I trust him to sit in his seat for the whole ride - in other words, I knew the person next to him wouldn't have to help him in any way. I trust my little guy in a situation like this, and have no problem with him riding next to a solo rider. But that's me and my son, I understand if other parents feel differently.
I hear ya'! My point about the conflict wrt Disney still stands -- Disney is either:
  1. allowing "ride with an adult" to be satisfied by a stranger, or
  2. allowing "ride with an adult" to be satisfied by a parent BEHIND the child.
Seems like a conflict because...
  • If 2 satisfies the requirement, then the two should be able to ride together with you behind. But you were told they couldn't.
  • If 1 satisfies the requirement, Disney has made a stranger responsible for your child in some capacity. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I don't see how it's ok that a 5 year old be seated with a stranger. Or a 7 or 8 year old. There's no way I'd let my 8 year old daughter ride a tight quarter ride like that with a stranger. I'm sorry but no way. Even in the short amount of time those rides are something bad could happen.

When my oldest DD was in the "I want to ride alone" phase, we would decide whether or not the stranger they wanted to put in the car with her was acceptable to us.

If it was another mom, etc, we didn't have an issue with it.

We did unfortunately encounter a few weird men that were a hard NO from me and DH. "We would prefer our child not ride with a stranger." Disney never had a problem with this, ever.

I hear ya'! My point about the conflict wrt Disney still stands -- Disney is either:
  • If 2 satisfies the requirement, then the two should be able to ride together with you behind. But you were told they couldn't.
  • If 1 satisfies the requirement, Disney has made a stranger responsible for your child in some capacity. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

It doesn't seem consistent; people upthread have mentioned that rides like Dumbo and the Magic Carpets allow to kids to ride together while the adult sits behind them, but for some reason SDMT seems to insist that the adult rides next to the kid.

My question is this (and maybe this is kind of what you're asking too?): if I say that I don't want a stranger sitting by my child, then they're riding with no one next to them. So how does that satisfy the requirement of an adult sitting by a child? I don't think I quite understand the logic of that. I mean for me it's moot - I have no problem with a stranger riding next to my son, but for the others who have mentioned that they weren't ok with it, I wonder how Disney justifies that?

It doesn't seem consistent; people upthread have mentioned that rides like Dumbo and the Magic Carpets allow to kids to ride together while the adult sits behind them, but for some reason SDMT seems to insist that the adult rides next to the kid.

My question is this (and maybe this is kind of what you're asking too?): if I say that I don't want a stranger sitting by my child, then they're riding with no one next to them. So how does that satisfy the requirement of an adult sitting by a child? I don't think I quite understand the logic of that. I mean for me it's moot - I have no problem with a stranger riding next to my son, but for the others who have mentioned that they weren't ok with it, I wonder how Disney justifies that?
Your point is definitely connected to mine -- seems like a conflict.

No matter what, EITHER the parent seated behind does meet their requirement, or they are making a stranger -- OR NO ONE AT ALL, in your example of a minor seated alone -- responsible for the child.

Doesn't make sense.

But the rider switch people go back through the express line and likely should have had fast passes anyway so really no difference.
I'm not opposed to rider switch but the way Disney markets it is:
View attachment 265310
View attachment 265314

So generally speaking those in regular lines can be impacted because of the additional people using Rider Switch. Let's say you're next in line to get queued up for whatever attraction but instead the pulled from the Rider Switch area rather than Regular queue and now there isn't room for you on the ride well then could be delayed. Some rides aren't as big of an issue I'm sure though because of how often they can load. Test track is one where because the cars generally go pretty often you would be unlikely to be delayed any measureable amount of time. But I could see it on other rides.

But the rider switch people go back through the express line and likely should have had fast passes anyway so really no difference.
No. Only the first rider is required to have a FP. And the additional kids riding with the adult get to go twice.

I'm trying to follow your comment here sorry bear with me here.

Why would people who need Rider Switch likely should have had fast passes anyway? Any person, who fits the qualifications, can use Rider Switch.

The description Disney uses on their website makes no mention of actual Fast Passes at all.

To put it another way here's the list of attractions where Rider Switch is available:
upload_2017-8-28_16-52-2.png

Now with MK you don't have tiers at this time but with Epcot you would only be able to get a FP for FEA, Soarin' OR TT not all 3 of them because all 3 of those are Tier 1 FPs (unless you get one as a 4th FP) despite Rider Switch being available for all 3 attractions.

Also for example we do know that 7DMT (as this was the original topic of the thread) can be a difficult FP to get so it is a possibility that even if a family knew they would need to use Rider Switch they may have been unable to get a FP for it.

Rider Switch availability isn't tied to FP availability as far as capacity per hour. From what I'm understanding, to Disney, Rider Switch and FP are not connected at least in the way I think you're thinking.

I don't see how it's ok that a 5 year old be seated with a stranger. Or a 7 or 8 year old. There's no way I'd let my 8 year old daughter ride a tight quarter ride like that with a stranger. I'm sorry but no way. Even in the short amount of time those rides are something bad could happen.

I cannot imagine being worried about something like this?

DD is an only child and I have vertigo and motion sickness. I can't go on anything that swirls, spins, drops, etc. If I hadn't been willing to let DD ride sitting next to a stranger, she never would have been able to go on ANYTHING fun at Disney- and she is a roller coaster girl, the bigger/faster/wilder, the better! I was always very grateful that there were so many kind, generous families who'd let DD "tag along" with them on the rides I couldn't tolerate.

Awful instances are rare but do happen:

The situation you quoted, while despicable, happened on Stitch's Great Escape (later mentioned by the same poster). This attraction is more akin to a show than a ride, based on seating configuration.

I'd be surprised if anyone tried anything with the kid's parent sitting right behind them, especially in broad daylight (ok sure, EE has a dark section and RnRC is totally dark, but both are also incredibly disorienting. I can't imagine having the coordination to do anything to the person next to me.) Could it happen? I suppose, but kids are much more likely to be abused by someone they know, and most people have no hesitation sending their kids to school, putting them in sports, music classes, etc. Obviously, everyone has varying levels of comfort. However, sending them to school is statistically more dangerous than putting them on a roller coaster with a stranger, especially if you're sitting right behind.

Situations like theaters and Stitch, where abuse is probably easier for a predator, can be solved by putting one parent on either side of the kids.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for wanting a child to ride alone. Just wanting to offer some perspective.

The situation you quoted, while despicable, happened on Stitch's Great Escape (later mentioned by the same poster). This attraction is more akin to a show than a ride, based on seating configuration.

I'd be surprised if anyone tried anything with the kid's parent sitting right behind them, especially in broad daylight (ok sure, EE has a dark section and RnRC is totally dark, but both are also incredibly disorienting. I can't imagine having the coordination to do anything to the person next to me.) Could it happen? I suppose, but kids are much more likely to be abused by someone they know, and most people have no hesitation sending their kids to school, putting them in sports, music classes, etc. Obviously, everyone has varying levels of comfort. However, sending them to school is statistically more dangerous than putting them on a roller coaster with a stranger, especially if you're sitting right behind.

Situations like theaters and Stitch, where abuse is probably easier for a predator, can be solved by putting one parent on either side of the kids.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for wanting a child to ride alone. Just wanting to offer some perspective.
I don't disagree with anything you've said. I can just understand a parent not wanting to take even the slightest chance for something as unnecessary in life as a theme park ride.

And as I said before, Disney has a business interest in trying to accommodate requests. They do so all the time -- at times necessary and others unnecessary.

We've never personally faced this issue, as I've mentioned. I'd have skipped a ride rather than have my 3-5 yo next to an adult stranger. Starting at 7-8yo my kids have ridden mine train together with me behind them. No issues. Personal choice.

And Disney seems to me to have a real conflict with their rules, as I've talked about as well. Kind of odd:

Last edited:

After my situation with my child, yes, I believe someone could abuse a child anywhere, anytime. In broad daylight, in the dark, and even on a ride, as short as a roller coaster. It happens so fast. I guess if my husband and I had sat at each end of our children, it would have helped? Maybe. My husband wasn't on the ride. He had taken my son to the front of the park because he lost his trading pins on space mountain.

When we spent time with disney security and also the cop who handled our complaint, I was told that this happens more then one would think, at Disney. As anyone can imagine, I was very distraught and upset that this happend, especially at Disney. Disney is my happy place, my escape. I had taught my kids how to handle a situation like this. I feel as if I have always been over cautious before this incident.

My daughter was in shock, and did not respond as I taught her. She did finally by the end of the ride, scrape her fingers down this mans arm, and I can only hope she drew blood. I was only two seats away. I never even thought I needed to encapsulate my kids. I'm sure most parents wouldn't even think about this.

The cop made me believe this wasn't the first time, and wouldn't be the last. He said it is the perfect place for a pervert to be because most people have their guard down. Maybe he lied to make me feel better, maybe he told the truth. Who knows, doesn't matter, the incident is already life changing.

It has changed our entire family. I handle things much differently now. I think my daughter's experience needs to be used as a lesson to others. It happens. If a parent requests a child to ride alone, it should be honored. I would probably have thought and empty seat should be filled before this experience. As an adult, I can take care of me. But a child? Not so much.

I still don't blame Disney. But if letting a minor child ride alone prevents this from happening from to any other child, and it means we wait a touch longer for our ride, then I'm willing to wait. I wouldn't want to put any child through what we have had to experience. Its obvious Disney knows this is a possibility and has happened in the past and I'm positive has happend since our experience.

After my situation with my child, yes, I believe someone could abuse a child anywhere, anytime. In broad daylight, in the dark, and even on a ride, as short as a roller coaster. It happens so fast. I guess if my husband and I had sat at each end of our children, it would have helped? Maybe. My husband wasn't on the ride. He had taken my son to the front of the park because he lost his trading pins on space mountain.

When we spent time with disney security and also the cop who handled our complaint, I was told that this happens more then one would think, at Disney. As anyone can imagine, I was very distraught and upset that this happend, especially at Disney. Disney is my happy place, my escape. I had taught my kids how to handle a situation like this. I feel as if I have always been over cautious before this incident.

My daughter was in shock, and did not respond as I taught her. She did finally by the end of the ride, scrape her fingers down this mans arm, and I can only hope she drew blood. I was only two seats away. I never even thought I needed to encapsulate my kids. I'm sure most parents wouldn't even think about this.

The cop made me believe this wasn't the first time, and wouldn't be the last. He said it is the perfect place for a pervert to be because most people have their guard down. Maybe he lied to make me feel better, maybe he told the truth. Who knows, doesn't matter, the incident is already life changing.

It has changed our entire family. I handle things much differently now. I think my daughter's experience needs to be used as a lesson to others. It happens. If a parent requests a child to ride alone, it should be honored. I would probably have thought and empty seat should be filled before this experience. As an adult, I can take care of me. But a child? Not so much.

I still don't blame Disney. But if letting a minor child ride alone prevents this from happening from to any other child, and it means we wait a touch longer for our ride, then I'm willing to wait. I wouldn't want to put any child through what we have had to experience. Its obvious Disney knows this is a possibility and has happened in the past and I'm positive has happend since our experience.

I really, truly am sorry this happened to your daughter. It's flat out wrong and absolutely shouldn't have happened.

My point was just that kids are more likely to be abused by a caregiver (teacher, coach, parent, etc.) than a stranger. Yet we don't stop sending our kids to school despite these statistics.

(I do agree that if a parent requests for a child to ride alone, that request should be honored.)

Yes it is set up that way.

Yes, a parent can sit on each end. But I have six kids. And at this time I had 5 on the ride with one parent. And I can assure you, I never even thought this would ever happen on a ride at Disney. I have always (and still do) make my kids always have a partner. We just got back from Disney and always have my kids have a partner. I do realize my family is unique because we have a larger family and they are close in age. But none of this matters. None of this changes the facts. IT CAN HAPPEN ANYWHERE!!! If my story helps save a child from what my daughter went through, then it's worth telling my story.

I am so sorry to hear of your experience and the impact on your family.

My dad was a cop for 28yrs, and his descriptions to me of how child predators function are still very vivid. Many are attracted to places where they can be in close proximity to many kids. Disney is not immune. They police really well, but nothing is foolproof.

No matter how rare these instances might be when averaged out statistically, I appreciate you being willing to share your experience. No matter how small that risk is, I imagine that isn't consolation to your family. If nothing else, you help to remind people that Disney is still the real world. We all know it, but I think it can certainly be easy to forget here and there. Thank you for sharing your experience.

My point was just that kids are more likely to be abused by a caregiver (teacher, coach, parent, etc.) than a stranger. Yet we don't stop sending our kids to school despite these statistics.
Again -- while absolutely true, education is a necessity. A theme park ride isn't. I can easily understand people treating those things differently, and not being willing to take even the tiniest risk for a theme park ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter