• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Seven Dwarfs Loading - Bizarre Things

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a genuine question...and I'm honestly not trying to stir the pot, but I'm curious as to how those of you who say you would never let your child sit next to a stranger on a ride would answer this....

What do you do in a crowded theater?

I'm thinking of the shows such as the Tough to be a Bug show, or the Muppet Show - when the CM asks for everyone to fill in all available seats. If you don't have a pair of adults to "bookend" your children - then that means that potentially your child is now seated next to a stranger - with no empty seats between them - in a darkened theater.

Do you see that as different, than sitting next to a child in a ride? Or do you see it as the same, with the same potential threat?

Again, I'm just honestly curious...as this thread has certainly been enlightening in certain ways....

I have a genuine question...and I'm honestly not trying to stir the pot, but I'm curious as to how those of you who say you would never let your child sit next to a stranger on a ride would answer this....

I'm thinking of the shows such as the Tough to be a Bug show, or the Muppet Show - when the CM asks for everyone to fill in all available seats. If you don't have a pair of adults to "bookend" your children - then that means that potentially your child is now seated next to a stranger - with no empty seats between them - in a darkened theater.

Do you see that as different, than sitting next to a child in a ride? Or do you see it as the same, with the same potential threat?

Again, I'm just honestly curious...as this thread has certainly been enlightening in certain ways....

I rarely have 2 adults to "bookend" my children. I understand there are a lot of risks in this world, and I make a conscious effort to protect my children from harm. That said, my children and I are going to live life and enjoy it. So, when we go to Disney, we are thankful for the many precautions that Disney does have in place, and enjoy ourselves - rides, theatres, etc. There are potential threats every where - at some point we accept that the potential is there and understand that while things do happen, the potential is often very limited. I teach my children to be respectful, but to also be aware and to communicate any concerns they have with me. I'm comfortable with our choice, and plan to go on enjoying and loving our Disney trips. :mickeyjum:tinker:

Question about this... I don't know the answer for sure... could you have (i.e. would Disney have let you) sat the kids next to one another, with you seated immediately behind them? You're the adult responsible for both of them, and from that vantage point you could watch them both, without having another adult in that position. Logically, either you being BEHIND the kids counts as you supervising them per Disney, OR Disney effectively put that gentleman in charge of riding with your son (i.e. satisfying the "under 7 must ride with an adult" rule)...

My kids are 19mos apart, but this issue just didn't come up when they were that young. However, I am certain that a similar situation did arise when they were, say 5 and 6.5. Both under 7, but they sat next to each other while I sat where I could see them.

I think it depends on the ride and the CM. Sometimes they still consider you to be sitting "with" the children if you are in the same car, but a row behind (like Pooh or Magic Carpets). But, there's obviously still some sort of limit there to what's reasonable. Your 5 and nearly 7yo may be fine, but they may be worried about two younger kids trying to climb out/stand up/whatever and insist a parent sit in the same row.

I remember one trip my three kids rode Primeval Whirl several times by themselves. Later that day a different CM (must have switched shifts) asked my oldest how old she was (13) and then told them they couldn't ride without an adult because my youngest was 5.

This past week, I was at Magic Kingdom with my 4-year old son and my 3-year old niece, both who wanted to ride SDMT. I had to choose one to ride with, so I rode with my niece and had my son sit ahead of me with a single rider. My son never stops talking and chattered away to this poor man for the entire ride - he was probably ready to rip his ears off by the end. I did try to apologize as we disembarked, but this man was practically running for the exit.

I literally opened this thread just to see if the gentleman had posted on here about the us.

Well, if I had been that single rider, it wouldn't have bothered me at all. I would have been very entertained by the enthusiasm of your child. It's always nice to see kids having fun at Disney!

I am often the single rider, and I hope I've never made anyone uncomfortable on rides or anything. I've never noticed anyone caring at all, though I'm sure some people maybe did.

I think it depends on the ride and the CM. Sometimes they still consider you to be sitting "with" the children if you are in the same car, but a row behind (like Pooh or Magic Carpets).

Yeah, the official rule is that you must ride in the same "ride vehicle" with a child under seven. A ride vehicle is defined as one unit not divided by a coupling. For some reason, 7DMT does not follow this rule, as riding in the row behind, even in the same car, is not allowed. On BTTMR and other rides it is. I think it may have to do with the distance between rows being a bit larger on 7DMT. One ride where this causes the most problems is The Barnstormer, where each car only has one row of 2 sweats between couplings, causing issues with odd-numbered parties with younger kids.

I think it depends on the ride and the CM. Sometimes they still consider you to be sitting "with" the children if you are in the same car, but a row behind (like Pooh or Magic Carpets). But, there's obviously still some sort of limit there to what's reasonable. Your 5 and nearly 7yo may be fine, but they may be worried about two younger kids trying to climb out/stand up/whatever and insist a parent sit in the same row.

I remember one trip my three kids rode Primeval Whirl several times by themselves. Later that day a different CM (must have switched shifts) asked my oldest how old she was (13) and then told them they couldn't ride without an adult because my youngest was 5.
I definitely get what you're saying! If I was with a 3 and 4yo, I probably would have skipped mine train. I personally wouldn't want to put another adult or the child in that position, and I wouldn't feel comfortable letting two kids that young ride together with me behind them -- would just feel unsafe to me personally.

My conflict here is that this then implies that it is that stranger's responsibility to make sure the 4yo he doesn't know refrains from "trying to climb out/stand up/whatever". That would mean Disney has made it that man's responsibility, which seems crazy. How can Disney assign that responsibility to someone?

Seems like that responsibly would have to still rest with the parent. Which would imply that being BEHIND the children is sufficient supervision. See what I mean? It's a logical issue...

Now that said. I had a 12 yr old a 7 yr old and a 5 yr old and only 2 adults at one point. 12 yr old usually sat with 5 yr old and 7 yr old got mom or dad. the other parent went solo

The problem is that 5 yr olds are not supposed to ride with 12 yr olds. In your case you could have remedied this by putting the 7 yr old with the 12 yr old, but if your trip had happened while your 7 yr old was still 6, then the 12 yr old would have been riding with a stranger. Luckily one of our kids finally hit the 14+ mark and we now only have one under 7, but on past trips one of our kids had to ride with a stranger because mom and dad were riding with the under 7s. Actually, this year was the first time DH and I ever got to ride the ride "together" in 3 years (big moment for us LOL!!) because the last "under 7" rode with the "14+" (with mom and dad directly behind them) and the "in-betweens" rode together.

We are just back from a 10 day trip to Disney. I have six children and depending on who wants to ride, sometimes I have a child alone. I request at every ride to have my child ride alone, no one to rode with them. Never had any issues until this trip. We had issues at many rides where the CM tried to put a single rider with my child, even after I requested my child to ride alone. I had a daughter inappropriately touched on a ride in the past at Disney. Never even crossed my mind this could happen there. (Stupid of me I know) As a parent I have every right to request no one is to ride with my child. I did speak with a manager this trip after we rode expedition everest just to express my concern. I had to fight for my child to ride alone, which should not even be an issue. I think this is a lawsuit waiting to happen. The manager of EE was extremely understanding and said it was a training issue that needed to he corrected. I just dont think you should have to ride with a stranger if you don't want to, especially if the child is a minor.

I think the fair alternative would be not to ride at all then. Or make another one of your children ride with the odd one out. Wy does someone else have to wait if there's an empty seat? I think you should wait instead. Of course, at a theater, what do you do? I guess pick an empty row and go all the way down?

I alowd someone to ride next to my child because I lived in a Disney magical bubble and thought the same as others here. The chances are zero, won't happen in the most magical place on earth. But it did happen. Allowing a stranger to sit with a child in an an empty seat is opening yourself up for issues. I learned the hard way. I will never allow anyone to ride with any of my children again. So if you see a Mom causing a fuss at a ride, it may be me. I have the right for my minor child to ride alone. Im guessing my situation is rare. And my oneseat

I never thought that allowing someone to sit by my child would result in what we encountered. Not in the Disney bubble. I'm just saying it can and has happened. I request my for my child/children to ride alone and will never allow it to happen ever again. I do not know the ins and outs of the law, but I do believe the least Disney can do, is to honor my request. If they refuse, then we won't ride. I'm hoping my experience is very, very rare. I'm sure my one empty seat won't make the line to much longer. I just want people to know it can happen anywhere anytime even on a two minute ride.

If every odd numbered group did this, then yes, the lines would get much longer.

Disney accommodates so many different needs. I think if a solo rider says they don't want to ride with a child, that should be honored. And if a parent says they don't want their solo child paired up with an unknown adult, that should be honored too. Lots of things increase wait times including rider switch. Why is this any different?

As long as the solo rider has to wait until the next cycle, or two even, maybe. And how does rider switch make anyone else's wait time longer?

I suppose they could sit on an end. Kid right on end with parent on the inside as the buffer?

I think that's fair to wait. We requested back row on 7DMT and we had to wait a bit.
Apples and orange to this discussion, unless I'm missing what you mean. Someone would have had to sit in the back row anyway. You waiting and doing that doesn't send any empty seats through, thereby increasing no ones wait but your own.

I think that's fair to wait. We requested back row on 7DMT and we had to wait a bit.

Rider switch is essentially distributing more FPs.

Sort of. If you have 4 people and one is under height , and your wife and son go on and then you and your son go on, its really the same 4 people, maybe 1 extra depending. The problem is people take advantage of it because no one checks. So in theory, mom and son can ride. Then father and son can ride after with the fast passes for father and fast pass for daughter that couldn't ride and still snag an extra fast pass. Many many people do this. Disney's fastpass system IMHO is so poorly done that the ride increases from this type of thing isn't making things much worse.

Honestly though, sending cars through without the full amount of people does certainly increase wait times.

Apples and orange to this discussion, unless I'm missing what you mean. Someone would have had to sit in the back row anyway. You waiting and doing that doesn't send any empty seats through, thereby increasing no ones wait but your own.

I wasn't really saying more than I think it's fair to have to wait a bit if you make a special request.

Sort of. If you have 4 people and one is under height , and your wife and son go on and then you and your son go on, its really the same 4 people, maybe 1 extra depending. The problem is people take advantage of it because no one checks. So in theory, mom and son can ride. Then father and son can ride after with the fast passes for father and fast pass for daughter that couldn't ride and still snag an extra fast pass. Many many people do this. Disney's fastpass system IMHO is so poorly done that the ride increases from this type of thing isn't making things much worse.

Honestly though, sending cars through without the full amount of people does certainly increase wait times.

I'm not too sure that rider switch doesn't increase wait times but that's not the point of this thread. The reason I brought it up was as an example that it's ok to increase wait times if there is a good reason for it.

I wasn't really saying more than I think it's fair to have to wait a bit if you make a special request.
I agree. But the problem with this particular request (sitting solo as a solo) is that it delays other people too.

To illustrate the point, what if my fiancée and I asked to have the whole SDMT car to ourselves, because we didn't want anyone else in our ride photo? That would be crazy. Yes, that's a frivolous reason for the request, but the end result is still the same - sending empty seats causes others to wait longer.

I agree. But the problem with this particular request (sitting solo as a solo) is that it delays other people too.

To illustrate the point, what if my fiancée and I asked to have the whole SDMT car to ourselves, because we didn't want anyone else in our ride photo? That would be crazy. Yes, that's a frivolous reason for the request, but the end result is still the same - sending empty seats causes others to wait longer.

Yes and so does rider switch (delays other people) For me, personally, I think it's reasonable for a solo rider to ask not to be next to a kid on 7DMT (or an adult since the seats are SO tight) I also think it's ok for a family to ask that a strange adult isn't put next to their kid. I don't think it should be done automatically. But as a request? Yes. This is just my opinion. There are lots of things that slow down the rides. I don't see the difference here.

Last edited:
Yes and so does rider switch (delays other people) For me, personally, I think it's reasonable for a solo rider to ask not to be next to a kid on 7DMT (or an adult since the seats are SO tight) I also think it's ok for a family to ask that a strange adult isn't put next to their kid. I don't think it should be done automatically. But as a request? Yes. This is just my opinion. There are lots of things that slow down the rides. I don't see the difference here.

I don't understand how rider switch delays anyone.

I don't understand how rider switch delays anyone.
I'm not opposed to rider switch but the way Disney markets it is:
upload_2017-8-28_13-35-24.png
upload_2017-8-28_13-38-5.png

So generally speaking those in regular lines can be impacted because of the additional people using Rider Switch. Let's say you're next in line to get queued up for whatever attraction but instead the pulled from the Rider Switch area rather than Regular queue and now there isn't room for you on the ride well then could be delayed. Some rides aren't as big of an issue I'm sure though because of how often they can load. Test track is one where because the cars generally go pretty often you would be unlikely to be delayed any measureable amount of time. But I could see it on other rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter