Seven Dwarfs Loading - Bizarre Things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because a) they were there first and b) it's human decency to not want to force someone else to be uncomfortable. I don't know why you'd want to force another family's experience to be less than it could be so you can squeeze next to an unfamiliar child in order to save 20 seconds of your day.

It's not hostility. it's caution. There are actual examples on this very thread of abusive things happening to kids on rides. It does happen. A theme park like WDW is a PERFECT place for predators, and you've got to know that. There are people -- a very low percentage, I'm sure, but an actual one -- of sexual predators who go to WDW because of the opportunity it presents. And you can't expect parents to ignore that unpleasant reality.

But some do. Some go to WDW for that specific purpose. And as much as you might resent the implication, even you concede the possibility. So why not just take away the chance to make someone uncomfortable? You talked about seats on busses -- yeah, you ought to think about it before you sit down to a kid on a bus. Yeah, parents ought to show caution before they send kids off to bathrooms unaccompanied. It may be unfortunate reality of society, but it is a reality that single men can be seen as a threat, and it seems to be to be a reasonable bit of kindness to understand and at least show a bit of compassion to that reality and adjust behavior accordingly. And sometimes that means standing on a bus, and sometimes it means waiting for the next car. I think WDW would be well served to make it policy that solo riders are allowed to sit alone if they choose.
I'm sorry, some of this is ridiculous to me. Expecting someone to stand on a bus simply because they are a solo man? How about the parent simply keeping their eyes on their child while they are sitting next to the adult? No one is saying that caution shouldn't be exercised. The parents need to be exercising it over their children, not the solo adults because of how others may perceive them.

There are actual examples on this very thread of abusive things happening to kids on rides.

No. There is ONE example of abuse on an attraction with a theater-like setup where the parent was a few seats down from the child.

There have been no accounts of a child being abused on a ride where the parent was seated directly behind the child. No one has even said that they've heard of such an incident.

I think there's quite a difference between a dark(ish) theater with the parent a few seats down and a roller coaster in broad daylight with the parent right behind.

As humans, we naturally overestimate and overperceive dangers to us. When it comes to our kids, even that overestimation goes into overdrive. It's in our biology through evolution and is part of self preservation. While I'm a free-ranger of sorts myself, it's hard for me to tell another parent that he/she's overreacting to something that has a one-in-a-million likelihood.

The honest truth is solo adults have the right to enjoy themselves at Disney the same way groups/families do. As long as a solo male or female isn't doing anything to pose a threat to any kid or fellow guest then I don't see what the problem is. If you don't want your kid to sit with a stranger, that is totally fine then the parents need to do all they can to prevent that. Wait on the next ride vehicle or simply talk to the cast members etc.

So again, this means an adult stranger riding next to that minor child is responsible for them in some way? Doesn't that seem crazy, and like something Disney cannot do: i.e. assign responsibility for someone else's child to a random adult??

Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Honestly, I don't see it as such an onerous task. In literally ANY situation where an emergency happens I would always do my best to make sure that anybody, especially children, make it to safety. I think most people would. This is part of the social contract that we all share in society.

Couple that with the ultra-rare chance that this will happen on a ride, and it's just not a big deal to me. What's the most I would have to do? Reach a hand out to help a child climb out of a car? Tell them to wait until a cast member comes for us? What are these nightmare scenarios people are dreaming up?

It's not hostility. it's caution. There are actual examples on this very thread of abusive things happening to kids on rides. It does happen. A theme park like WDW is a PERFECT place for predators, and you've got to know that. There are people -- a very low percentage, I'm sure, but an actual one -- of sexual predators who go to WDW because of the opportunity it presents. And you can't expect parents to ignore that unpleasant reality.

Actually, I really disagree with you that WDW is such a "perfect" place for predators. It is such a controlled environment with tons of security and even more potential witnesses. This has been debated before in the notorious bathroom threads, but where is a predator more likely to strike? A restroom in a public park with nobody around or at WDW where there are thousands of people and cameras and no easy means of escape. That's not to say that there have never been incidents at WDW, but the idea that it is so attractive to that element doesn't make any sense. I'd say the odds of something like that happening at WDW are actually much lower than most other places in general.

As humans, we naturally overestimate and overperceive dangers to us. When it comes to our kids, even that overestimation goes into overdrive. It's in our biology through evolution and is part of self preservation. While I'm a free-ranger of sorts myself, it's hard for me to tell another parent that he/she's overreacting to something that has a one-in-a-million likelihood.
And some estimate it correctly, and still decide that for them, it doesn't meet that risk/reward level.

We have been going to WDW 1-2 times/year since my son was 15mos. old. We bought into DVC and knew we'd be coming back frequently. On an average trip to WDW, we ride... what 45+ rides, not including riding some multiple times?? If at some point with really young kids (e.g. 3-5yrs) I was solo with both kids, I'd have skipped Mine Train before letting one of them ride with a stranger. They'll ride Mine Train on one of the other dozens and dozens of times they'll have the opportunity!

It costs us NOTHING to skip it, so why take even the tiniest risk of a worst case -- or the more likely "risk" that one of the kids (or the adult stranger!) might be uncomfortable?? Just not worth it at all TO US.

As you say -- a personal choice. But not always one based in ignorance or overestimating a threat. :)

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't see it as such an onerous task. In literally ANY situation where an emergency happens I would always do my best to make sure that anybody, especially children, make it to safety. I think most people would. This is part of the social contract that we all share in society.

Couple that with the ultra-rare chance that this will happen on a ride, and it's just not a big deal to me. What's the most I would have to do? Reach a hand out to help a child climb out of a car? Tell them to wait until a cast member comes for us? What are these nightmare scenarios people are dreaming up?
It's not a question of a "nightmare scenario". I'm making a purely logical point and asking a question: how can a company assign ANY responsibility to a stranger of someone else's child? That is what they are effectively doing on Mine Train if the parents behind that minor do NOT meet Disney's requirement. It's bizarre.

Actually, I really disagree with you that WDW is such a "perfect" place for predators.
I agree that "perfect place" is overstated. That said, I've heard recordings of NAMBLA members, as an example, talking about how an ideal weekend for them was a trip to DL and/or toy stores. We'd be naive to think such places DON'T attract predators. I just think Disney does a phenomenal job of policing their parks. So I agree that the risk, though not zero is very small. Still happens. And still OK for a parent to decide they don't want to take even that tiny risk.

Actually, I really disagree with you that WDW is such a "perfect" place for predators. It is such a controlled environment with tons of security and even more potential witnesses. This has been debated before in the notorious bathroom threads, but where is a predator more likely to strike? A restroom in a public park with nobody around or at WDW where there are thousands of people and cameras and no easy means of escape. That's not to say that there have never been incidents at WDW, but the idea that it is so attractive to that element doesn't make any sense. I'd say the odds of something like that happening at WDW are actually much lower than most other places in general.

Really? You think a park that sometimes REQUIRES that a child sit next to a strange adult is not a great hunting ground some someone who likes to cop a quick feel? A place where there are, on any give day, roughly 10,000 kids running around many of them with distracted parents? I don't think anyone is talking about rape or abduction, but I don't think abuses are limited to those drastic events.

I don't know how many events there are in any given day, but I think WDW is very good at keeping these things very quiet. They were when I was growing up in Orlando, and I'm sure they are just as quiet now.

Expecting someone to stand on a bus simply because they are a solo man?

As opposed to sitting down next to an unfamiliar kid? Yeah, think the right thing to do is to leave the seat open unless/until invited to sit by the parents. Just courtesy.

As opposed to sitting down next to an unfamiliar kid? Yeah, think the right thing to do is to leave the seat open unless/until invited to sit by the parents. Just courtesy.

Sorry, just so unreasonable to expect. No one has claim over a seat next to them that they aren't occupying.

The lack of personal responsibility that some in this thread are advocating for is astounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter