Sept 2012 car rental......

I have reservations with both Alamo and National for roughly the same price ($190) for a full size car for 8 days. Which company would you pick?

We also will be traveling with a 1 and 3 year old. We don't need a minivan but definitely would pick one if it was on the full size row. Do you think one of these companies would be more likely to have a minivan on the full size row? We arrive into MCO on tuesday 9/25 at 8:30 am. Thanks for any input!

They are the same company (sister companies), they share cars and the likely hood of getting a mini van on the full size row is anyone's guess, very difficult to predict. Heck, I don't even know what is going to show up where on any given day and I am here 5 days a week.

I forgot that they were sister companies. I figured there was no way to predict which company would be more likely to have a minivan but I hoped maybe someone could predict the future for me! ;-)

Hopefully someone's rates will drop more and my choice will be made for me!

It kills me that the mini-van prices are still insanely high today for insiders (almost 800$ for our 8 night trip starting 9/24) yet there are mini-vans showing up on the full-size row..

It seems to me that the rental companies must want it to be this way where they give free upgrades to mini-vans with shortages in other car types or else they would be lowering the price of the minivans to get them rented directly..

I am lucky that we have a reservation for 302$ already, because the current rates are absurd, but thats still a full 100$ more than my rental for the same days last year.

It kills me that the mini-van prices are still insanely high today for insiders (almost 800$ for our 8 night trip starting 9/24) yet there are mini-vans showing up on the full-size row..

It seems to me that the rental companies must want it to be this way where they give free upgrades to mini-vans with shortages in other car types or else they would be lowering the price of the minivans to get them rented directly..

I am lucky that we have a reservation for 302$ already, because the current rates are absurd, but thats still a full 100$ more than my rental for the same days last year.

You can get a minivan with Alamo or National for around $300 or slightly under depending which coupon you use. They have some good minivan last minute rates and coupon can be added.

National last minute code is 6600435 plus coupon ND9334SND $30 (unless you have a higher one)

Alamo last minute code is IG plus coupon AD2359FDF

These promotions don't pop up automatically, you have to use the above codes. My rate for Oct. 12th is still high, but hope I can get some of these last minute deals as my time gets closer. Good luck.

You can get a minivan with Alamo or National for around $300 or slightly under depending which coupon you use. They have some good minivan last minute rates and coupon can be added.

National last minute code is 6600435 plus coupon ND9334SND $30 (unless you have a higher one)

These promotions don't pop up automatically, you have to use the above codes. My rate for Oct. 12th is still high, but hope I can get some of these last minute deals as my time gets closer. Good luck.

Thanks!

I was able to get mine down to $141 for pickup at the swan.

Does anyone know with an economy what my choices will be? Will I have the option of 4 door?

Just booked with Dollar for Sept 19-25, Lock Low & Go (compact or larger) for $111 (all taxes and fees). Use code 76892 for 10% off, Discover also has 5% cashback.

I don't know if you need the free additional driver but with Alamo using Costco ID 7014627 and E-Coupon AD2359FDF for $35 off the total is $133 for a compact or $140 midsize.

I don't know if you need the free additional driver but with Alamo using Costco ID 7014627 and E-Coupon AD2359FDF for $35 off the total is $133 for a compact or $140 midsize.

Not a Costco member, do you need to be one to use it? Free additional driver would be nice!

Does anyone know if I can transfer a reservation from one Alamo Insiders member to another?

You cannot change the name online. Just tried and it will change the first name, but, not the last. Have you tried making a new reservation? Might be less expensive. You never know. They are open 24/7/365 on the reservation line, so, you can call anytime. Let us know how it works out for you.

A new reservation right now is MUCH more. The rates have just skyrocketed in the last few weeks. And the name change was not a big deal -- DH and his dad have the same last name -- but it kept automatically reverting back to DH's Insider number every time I tried to finalize it.

So I called today; nice rep, no problem transferring the reservation, and they'll honor the original rate. I hung up, plugged the new confirmation number into the online system and the rate is not the same (a difference of $140). Called back; a new rep fixed it so that I got the original rate. She emailed me a confirmation but it has no price/rate quote on it. :headache: And when I try to view the reservation online I get an error message saying "Unable to view reservation - modified rate attached." :headache: So now I have a reservation I can't view with a rate I can't verify, and I sincerely doubt I'll be able to use this at the kiosk if the online system doesn't recognize it. :headache: Everyone I've spoken with has been very nice and seemingly helpful, but I'm still not sure I'm getting the rate I had originally been quoted!

I'm going to keep trying to make a new reservation for my FIL between now and when we leave -- hopefully I can get a last-minute deal with something close to the original rate, and just let this complicated and troublesome reservation go.

It completely depends on what is available in the fleet. If you run out of midsize cars(for example) you put what you have an excess of in that particular area. No, we don't want it to be this way, why ever would you think we would want to give free upgrades and lose revenue? We want to keep people happy. If we run out of a certain class of car, we bump them up to the next available, often that is a double or triple bump.

A new reservation right now is MUCH more. The rates have just skyrocketed in the last few weeks. And the name change was not a big deal -- DH and his dad have the same last name -- but it kept automatically reverting back to DH's Insider number every time I tried to finalize it.

So I called today; nice rep, no problem transferring the reservation, and they'll honor the original rate. I hung up, plugged the new confirmation number into the online system and the rate is not the same (a difference of $140). Called back; a new rep fixed it so that I got the original rate. She emailed me a confirmation but it has no price/rate quote on it. :headache: And when I try to view the reservation online I get an error message saying "Unable to view reservation - modified rate attached." :headache: So now I have a reservation I can't view with a rate I can't verify, and I sincerely doubt I'll be able to use this at the kiosk if the online system doesn't recognize it. :headache: Everyone I've spoken with has been very nice and seemingly helpful, but I'm still not sure I'm getting the rate I had originally been quoted!

I'm going to keep trying to make a new reservation for my FIL between now and when we leave -- hopefully I can get a last-minute deal with something close to the original rate, and just let this complicated and troublesome reservation go.

I can understand your frustration. Call back again (I hate to say that)and insist on getting an email with the rate attached and mention you cannot access the reservation online. Better to solve any problem now than later.
Good luck.

I need help!!! I've been trying to read this thread and I have stickies everywhere with codes and numbers etc. and I just can't find a decent rate.

I'm flying into JAX 9/28 to 10/6. I do not have a Costco membership but I am a USAA and DAV (disabled American vet) member and have those codes but for some reason they give me higher prices? I'm willing to take anything compact and higher. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm at $235 w/ taxes.

I need help!!! I've been trying to read this thread and I have stickies everywhere with codes and numbers etc. and I just can't find a decent rate.

I'm flying into JAX 9/28 to 10/6. I do not have a Costco membership but I am a USAA and DAV (disabled American vet) member and have those codes but for some reason they give me higher prices? I'm willing to take anything compact and higher. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm at $235 w/ taxes.

Your dates are similar to mine except I'll be in NH. I have scoured everywhere and came up with just about the same price as yours. I used hot deals through Alamo and another code (can't remember off-hand). It stinks.

I have been using all of these and the rate for National is over 1000$ for my trip (9/24 - 10/2, 5pm pick up and drop off) and Alamo is 777$....if you can get something to show up for the 300$ rate without costco, I am interested!!!

I just rechecked the costco rate and its 600$...so less than the others, but far from last years prices....

I am willing to pay the 300$ for a mini-van, but I will be very unhappy if I hear that others ended up picking them up for free in a full size aisle on Monday!!

I have been using all of these and the rate for National is over 1000$ for my trip (9/24 - 10/2, 5pm pick up and drop off) and Alamo is 777$....if you can get something to show up for the 300$ rate without costco, I am interested!!!

I just crunched your numbers again and see below:

Pickup:
Orlando Intl Arpt (MCOT71)
1 Jeff Fuqua Boulevard
Orlando , FL 32827-4399
US
Monday, September 24, 2012
5:00 PM

Dropoff:
1 Jeff Fuqua Boulevard
Orlando , FL 32827-4399
US
Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Estimated Total = $298.23 USD (Minivan)

Used code IG
coupon AD2359fdf

Pickup:
1 Jeff Fuqua Boulevard
Orlando , FL 32827-4399
US

Dropoff:
1 Jeff Fuqua Boulevard
Orlando , FL 32827-4399
US
Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Used code IG
coupon AD2359fdf

Do you have magical powers? When I input the same dates & codes for the PP's minivan, I get a rate of $757 with insiders and $851 without. My own dates (9/29 - 10/10) are $1052.

Any idea why you would be getting such a drastically different rate?

Pickup:
1 Jeff Fuqua Boulevard
Orlando , FL 32827-4399
US

Dropoff:
1 Jeff Fuqua Boulevard
Orlando , FL 32827-4399
US
Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Used code IG
coupon AD2359fdf

I just tried and got the same results as n2mm, without even using my insider member #. Not sure why you are getting those higher rates.

Do you have magical powers? When I input the same dates & codes for the PP's minivan, I get a rate of $757 with insiders and $851 without. My own dates (9/29 - 10/10) are $1052.

No magical powers, but I do know that sometimes you need to dump your temp files/cookies. You can try that or try a different computer. I feel better that MadaboutMickey got the same results.

I can understand your frustration. Call back again (I hate to say that)and insist on getting an email with the rate attached and mention you cannot access the reservation online. Better to solve any problem now than later.
Good luck.

Thanks, gmeh1. I did call back and got another super-nice rep. Apparently once the reservation has been modified to a certain degree by phone like mine was, it can't be accessed online at all. The rep assured me repeatedly that the reservation is rock-solid and the rate is valid, and quoted me the same rate over the phone as I'd been told earlier (which was actually less than my original reservation; rep#2 worked some kind of pixie dust magic :wizard: and I think doubled my coupon or something). He also accessed it by name/date/time, so I know it's in the system by name and not tied only to this confirmation number. He did say we would have to go to the rental counter and could not use the kiosk, which is fine as long as I know ahead of time.

What a day! :surfweb: :surfweb: :surfweb: I can't believe the amount of time I have spent on this rental car situation. It far exceeds any other planning I have done for this vacation. As much as I'm looking forward to all the benefits of being off property (private pool! 4 bedrooms! fully equipped kitchen! multiple bathrooms!), this almost makes me want to go back to using ME and resort buses.

...almost. :lmao:

No magical powers, but I do know that sometimes you need to dump your temp files/cookies. You can try that or try a different computer. I feel better that MadaboutMickey got the same results.

Thanks for the tip. I dumped my cookies/history/etc and it worked. Who knew? :confused3 It still gave me a crazy high rate for my dates but I'll keep checking as it gets closer.

Hot Deals for your dates may post today! The deal that ended 9/17 was for car pick-up by Sept 25.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter