RotR Planning & Daily Boarding Group Discussion - *CLOSED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Disney hadn`t instituted the virtual queue for ROTR, you would`ve seen the same thing.

not sure if it would have been as bad/extreme

now, if there was only 1 Galaxy's Edge in the world and it all opened at once and the word got out about how good RotR was - then I think for that it would have been as big or bigger than WWoHP

I get it. My DH was last at DL in 1993. I was last at WDW in 1996. The “next time” is sometimes a long time away. There is no possible way for Disney to ensure that everyone who wants to ride gets to do so on the schedule that’s convenient for them, so my larger point was that families should really consider what will give them the most enjoyable vacation *overall*. If ROTR doesn’t make the list, that’s okay. We’re skipping Fantasmic, WOC, night time SWGE, and night time Carsland because my son can’t stay up that late. Would they be awesome to see? Yes, but not at the expense of enjoying the balance of our vacation because everyone’s tired and grumpy. Anyway, that’s my two cents, certainly others may have different opinions.
Completely agree. My only ask from Disney is that they at least to help guests that can't quite make it so early. Using an early evening backup boarding group would be an effective tool to give late arrivals a chance.

Still running the risk of the app crashing as everyone tries to join at the same time. I think giving the priority to people who rope drop is the fairest way to do it. Just my opinion
First come first serve is generally the way of the world with things like this. Save for being able to use your connections, see NPH lol. I don’t see any reason not to reward the people who can and are willing to come as early as possible first.

I think they way they’re running it is also the least problematic in terms of the app and guest complaints. It will never be perfect as there just aren’t enough slots to go around to everyone who wants to ride yet.

And a reminder that it is reasonable IMO to assume that arriving in the early evening and expecting the chance to ride what may be the most hyped up Disney attraction in recent memory probably wouldn’t have happened no matter the system.
OF course. But they're already giving the boarding groups to those who arrive first. I'm saying they should give just the backup boarding groups to late arrivals. That's a much smaller percentage of the riders. It's basically just throwing a bone at the late arriving guests so they at least have a chance. That's all I'm saying. The rope drop people still get the boarding group priority.

Do all party have to enter the park to get the group boarding pass? Or just one person enter first and get for all?

Well it shouldn't be random. It should be at a certain announced time and they should stick to that. For example, if they announced that boarding groups may reopen at 5:30 if there's sufficient availability, then those that missed the earlier boarding groups can get on their phones at 5:30 and try to get the backup ones. Also, by 5:30, Disney has a much better feel for how many more boarding groups will be available.

You would still run the risk of those that came early not getting one and that's not fair. Looking for alternative methods to justify the people not wanting or willing to get up early is not the answer. I myself hate getting up early but " first come first serve " is hands down the fairest way to do it. If I want that 65" tv from walmart for $200 on black friday, I'll be up at 3am waiting in line or I dont get one, it's the fairest way. When ur dealing with limited supply, the fairest method u can do is first come first serve with no prejudice. The people in here already have an advantage over others that dont have all this info. I'm not an early bird either and it basically comes down to how bad i really want to ride the attraction. If i want it bad enough i will get up early and do it, if not, I'll pass and cant blame no one but myself. But not releasing all the boarding groups including the backups in the morning to the guests that decided this ride was worth getting up for just wouldn't be fair in any manner.

Completely agree. My only ask from Disney is that they at least to help guests that can't quite make it so early. Using an early evening backup boarding group would be an effective tool to give late arrivals a chance.
I have a malady that bothers me in the morning, so I'm the last person that wants to get up at 6am for anything. But the only proven alternative is Fast Passes, which I understand Disney will deploy at the conclusion of the ride's honeymoon period. Until then, there aren't any effective ways to judiciously distribute another round of BGs when the park is filled with 50K guests that would want them.

I have a malady that bothers me in the morning, so I'm the last person that wants to get up at 6am for anything. But the only proven alternative is Fast Passes, which I understand Disney will deploy at the conclusion of the ride's honeymoon period. Until then, there aren't any effective ways to judiciously distribute another round of BGs when the park is filled with 50K guests that would want them.

Has that been announced? I hadn't heard that.

Both the SW rides have fp queues and touchpoints, and I doubt those would have been put in just for DAS. I’d say someday they’ll both have FP. Hopefully not for at least a year so locals have a shot at riding without waiting 1+ hours.

Just to clarify. In order to get DAS, a guest must first go to guest services at any theme park in order to set it up so they can use it in all 4 four theme parks throughout the duration of their trip. For RoTR, a guest who has already been assigned DAS must get a BG and then, once their BG is called, can use DAS to access the FP+ line. I just want to make sure people who aren't familiar with how to access DAS in the first place don't get confused and think they can get a BG and request DAS access without first stopping at guest services to get DAS set up in their MDE account. I could be wrong, but it sounded like the PP who asked if they can go to guest services to get DAS prior to entering DHS was asking because they need to get DAS set up for their trip - not to attempt to get DAS access to RoTR. I hope that makes sense.
Yes, that was my question. Thanks!

My 5 year old and I rode for the second day in a row today (DH and 1 year old decided to sleep instead, after arriving early yesterday), and here’s how both days compared.

5 am - Woke up both days and then drove from Art of Animation. No lines at toll plaza or security either day.
5:55 am - Joined the masses. This was 5 minutes later than yesterday (5:50), but we ended up in the same spot. However, there must have been a huge gap b/c when they made an announcement to move in, we moved about 15 feet forward.
6:25 am - park opened (vs 6:20 yesterday)
6:34 am - Tapped in and got BG 26.

So today we got BG 26 9 min. after park opening vs. BG 34 13 min. after opening yesterday. We went further to the right than we did yesterday, and it was moving significantly faster to tap in.

My 5 year old wanted to continuously ride Tower of Terror until our BG was called, so we rode 3x in a row before BG 26 was called at 7:32 (vs. 10:05 for BG 34 yesterday).

We got in line around 7:45, were met with a large group of people after the transporter part, and then walked out backstage through the interrogation area (by the way, going from such immersive theming to stark backstage hallways was something... let alone seeing the rebels and the First Order officers engaged in friendly banter... but everyone was extremely apologetic, and we received paper FP).

Next we went to use a Slinky FP and then came back to check on the ride status. It was still down, but we decided to hang out a few min. just in case and to avoid a return trip to the park later in the day.

After a few min. we saw some cast member activity and then other people with paper FP forming a line. FYI, if you are using a recovery FP, you enter to the right of the regular area, directly across from the entrance. We jumped in line, and there were only about a dozen people in front of us when they reopened the ride.

They let people with recovery FP in first, through the FP entrance, and we walked without stopping to the preshow area. We then had an awesome, fluid experience with no waiting at any point, and were through the entire experience in about 20 min. (vs about an hr yesterday).

Would love feedback on this touring plan for a family of 4 (with a 4 and 6 year old) staying at the Swan. (Don't laugh at me for building in restroom breaks! Gotta plan these things with littles in tow ;) Does this seem realistic?

4:45AM Wake up
5:15 Leave for HS (by foot)
5:45 Arrive at HS
6:30AM Expect they’ll let crowds in / Grab boarding group

6:30-7:45
Slinky Dog w Rider Switch
Alien Swirling Saucers
Toy Story Mania
(Restroom Break)

7:45-8:30

8:30
ROTR
*Swap w Smugglers Run if BG not called yet

9:30
Smugglers Run

10:30
(Restroom Break)

11:00
Droid Depot, 11AM check in (11:15AM reservation)

12:00
Eat at Docking Bay 7

1:00
Tiny World (360 degree) Magic Shot (near Milk Stand)
Super Zoom Magic Shot (@ First Order Cargo)
Snacks @ Milk Stand

2:15
Jedi Training (check in by 2:30 for 3:00 show)

3:30
Back to hotel

I believe at their discretion, they do. A man we met all alone the next day in line at Soarin' well into his 70s with some type of devices on his legs said he arrived at HS at 9am only to find out he would not be able to ride RotR. He is retired disabled vet and they allowed him to ride. Obviously they can't do for many, but for someone with perhaps limited opportunities to return again in his lifetime this was a touching move on their part. I might have given my spot up for that man even with the brutal 345am wake up call! For me the ride was awesome but it was the sheer excitement from my usual apathetic teenagers all through the ride I was excited about, that is what I will remember (and the free banana!), the rest of the ride is a bit of a blur :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter