Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
I agree with this. Still kinda confused as to why a decision would be made to charge parking fee's to resort guests with car's, no charge's for resort guests without cars, to track day guest's that are not paying charge's to begin with.

Seems to me that they got it all backwards on who to charge for parking, or its just a very bad roll out of an idea that wasn't well thought out.
Exactly. I would disagree, however, with your suggestion that the fee wasn't well thought out--they know absolutely what they're doing: charging a fee that solves nothing while earning them tens of millions of dollars annually without having to add any extra personnel or programs. It is sheer profit.

Wouldn’t they just tell the person to park at TTC if poly was full. The parking at the parks are still free for onsite guests. There is not any hotel to hotel bus transportation. It’s would be easier for a lunch to just use the bus to MK and then resort monorail to Poly from Pop.

That's true - they could say that and (at least for now) you get free (a.k.a. included) parking at the parks if you are staying at a Disney resort, so wouldn't be an extra charge to park at the TTC, so in that case I think you are right and that is what they would say ....

... unless they wanted to push using a Minnie Van to take you from Pop to the Poly :D

I would have to guess it depends on the location of the hotel. Most hotels in cities like Orlando, New York, and Chicago charge for parking. A hotel in Nebraska probably won't.
We've stayed offsite twice, while going to Disney. Once we didn't pay for parking. It was decades ago, and literally miles and miles from Disney. We were staying at a condo for my husband's work and drove into Orlando to go to Disney. The other time, we were charged for parking, $17 a night. PLUS we had a resort fee of something like $25, that was waived because of how we booked. We ended up being charged and had to spend over an hour on the phone getting the charged taken off. There was no way around the parking fee.
I do know the DVC member page on Facebook doesn’t seem to worry about it or care. But that’s usually par the course for, I think, could be wrong, for most DVC members.

But I will say that the hotels like pop, art of animation aren’t worth their price.
DVC members are not being charged to park. I am betting some members aren't even aware of the fee for cash guests.

Just to share one example that I have seen, and actually was at the Poly, where we wanted to park there to go to Trader Sam's and they wouldn't let us park there as there wasn't space - said we had to go to the TTC parking lot and monorail over. They would have let us in if we had an ADR - so your scenario of someone with a breakfast ADR at Ohana and then going to MK for the day wouldn't be stopped but have seen a "system" in place where they scan magic bands for either staying at the resort or having an ADR booked

Just to clarify since I'm strictly resort transportation/taxi/uber, if there was room at the time you arrived, would they have let you park in the lot to go to Trader Sam's or something that doesn't require an ADR? I have heard that they're more strict during really busy times of year, but I just think if they're going to start charging for parking, they need to tighten things up a bit. If someone staying off-site has an ADR, how does seeing their id help Disney charge their "guest folio" if they stay too long? I guess they'd have to have some other back up in place, but hearing the 8-12 hour limit didn't really indicate it was a priority! And I understand their desire to have day guests be able to visit and spend money, but 8-12 hours is a long time!

Just to clarify since I'm strictly resort transportation/taxi/uber, if there was room at the time you arrived, would they have let you park in the lot to go to Trader Sam's or something that doesn't require an ADR? I have heard that they're more strict during really busy times of year, but I just think if they're going to start charging for parking, they need to tighten things up a bit. If someone staying off-site has an ADR, how does seeing their id help Disney charge their "guest folio" if they stay too long? I guess they'd have to have some other back up in place, but hearing the 8-12 hour limit didn't really indicate it was a priority! And I understand their desire to have day guests be able to visit and spend money, but 8-12 hours is a long time!

To your first point, it definitely seems like a crap-shoot if they will let you park (currently) at, say the Poly, and depends on crowd levels, etc. - sometimes it hasn't been an issue and other times it was. Definitely if you have an ADR they will let you but more for things like Trader Sam's that it is dicier and, like you said, I can see them getting stricter/more consistent with how they handle it

A lot of this will probably have to work itself out over time - and I can see things being adjusted and people getting annoyed at the begging when things aren't consistent. They are careful in how they word it in that you are able to park there for "select" dining and shopping and entertainment - so no guarantee you would be able to park at any resort as a day guest and perhaps they will move to a model where you need to show a receipt that you spent a certain amount of money at the resort.

You're right, but that isn't a strong endorsement either. Many of us have been walking billboards for Disney encouraging others to go, posting pictures on social media, helping plans trips, etc. I would argue that is Disney's most effective marketing campaign. But who wants to be that person actively encouraging someone to visit a place that becomes a representation of big corporate greed?
That’s true, but then why go anywhere where big money corporations are involved. Greed is everywhere and in everything. I’d argue that Disney has been already that for years and people have just not noticed. Yet people constantly go year after year.

What does the price of the room have anything to do with also paying for parking. Most hotels you have to pay for parking whether it's expensive or cheap per night. Disney had made it free for a long time but guests took advantage of it and abused it during the busiest parts of the year. Hell, there's been times when we couldn't even get parking at our hotel because people were parking and going to the parks.
The amount could have been worse...

I must stay at weird hotels because I have never paid for parking at any of them.

I wonder how they think they'll determine if a guest has a guest folio to be charged. Whenever I visit a resort for a meal, for example, I'm asked to show ID at the guard shack - the guard looks at it briefly, then waves me through. How would anyone at that resort be able to tell if my car was attached to a folio as an overnight guest or if I was just there to visit?! This whole "system" seems rather half-baked.

Agree! Like I said, I don't drive so only had taxi rides to go on, so didn't really think it all through until after our conversation! They'd have to put more in place if someone doesn't have a magic band, I would think? But I agree it does seem to fall under the vague roll-out school of policy management...

I really wish people would stop saying "most hotels charge for parking" that is demonstrably false. Most Orlando hotels ? Perhaps. But not most hotels.

Thank you. I have literally ONLY paid for parking at hotels in San Francisco, New York City, and the Swan/Dolphin complex. That is IT. My husband also travels a lot for work. He has NEVER stayed at a hotel that charged for parking.

Thank you. I have literally ONLY paid for parking at hotels in San Francisco, New York City, and the Swan/Dolphin complex. That is IT. My husband also travels a lot for work. He has NEVER stayed at a hotel that charged for parking.

I agree. The hotels that do charge for parking are most often in areas with extremely limited access to parking like the large cities you mention. None of that is an issue at WDW. Besides, guests who drive vs fly actually save Disney money. If I fly to Orlando, they provide transportation and baggage handling from the airport to my room. That has to be a significant expense to the company. Charging for parking may actually encourage some guests who currently drive, to fly.

I agree. The hotels that do charge for parking are most often in areas with extremely limited access to parking like the large cities you mention. None of that is an issue at WDW. Besides, guests who drive vs fly actually save Disney money. If I fly to Orlando, they provide transportation and baggage handling from the airport to my room. That has to be a significant expense to the company. Charging for parking may actually encourage some guests who currently drive, to fly.

I live 200 miles south of WDW. So, I won't be flying. I'll be penalized for driving up and we still have to pay for gas and tolls.

hmm, obviously we can debate what "most" means - I would say I pay for parking in any major city or bit tourist area or any, like, destination resort that has a spa, etc. ... traveling work work I definitely have had to pay for parking but maybe like 50/50 or a bit less.

So probably not "most" in my case but also not "super rare"

Only time I have ever paid for parking for a hotel is in metropolitan areas that are land poor. Even then it is rare.

I just remembered that we had to pay for parking prior to our DCL cruise in Cocoa Beach. It was a the Hilton Homewood Suites. And, I believe some of the other hotels charged for parking. Which I thought was crazy, because there are loads of parking spots available.

I’ve had to pay for some and others I haven’t. Both inside and out of large cities. Just because you guys haven’t doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.
I don't think anyone is actually denying that parking fees exist at hotels...

It does greatly depend on location-There are places in Orlando that do not charge for parking (see my previous comment regarding Hilton for example where 60% of their branded hotels within a 20mile radius of WDW don't charge for parking).

It's not even an entire city thing because within cities you will find places that don't charge for parking. But you want to stay in Times Square? You're probably going to pay for parking. You want to stay on the Strip in Las Vegas? You're probably going to pay for parking--go outside the Strip and paying for parking is going to be less common. But not all of NYC and not all of Las Vegas and def. not all of Orlando will you pay for parking. In my own area you go Downtown you're probably going to pay for parking. Get outside of Downtown you're unlikely to pay for parking.

I’ve had to pay for some and others I haven’t. Both inside and out of large cities. Just because you guys haven’t doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

That's definitely true ... though I think what most people are getting at is that is isn't necessarily "industry standard" - the line Disney has been feeding people .... and certainly not for any location that has twice the land of the island of Manhattan at it's disposal

I did e-mail WDW but I didn't put any high priority to it. I received a response back yesterday and while it's more of what others have said I did want to show what they said:

Guest Experience Services (Disney)

Mar 18, 1:15 PM PDT

Dear Mackenzie,

Thank you for your email regarding our policy for overnight resort parking.

We appreciate your loyalty to Walt Disney World Resort Hotels during your past vacation. We do occasionally make adjustments based on a variety of factors, including alignment with our resorts in California and Hawaii. This is also consistent with full-service hotels within the industry. The policy regarding resort overnight parking will apply to Guests who book their hotel reservations on or after March 21, 2018, while Theme Park parking will remain complimentary for all Resort Guests. Information about parking for Resort Guests may be found on our website. As we work to implement this policy, you may be assured that we will also be working diligently to monitor and improve our transportation operations property-wide.

Complimentary parking will be available for all Guests who wish to dine, shop, enjoy activities or visit a resort for the day.

Mackenzie, we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us and hope you your family will visit us again soon. We hope you had a wonderful visit last year.

Warmest regards,

Judy
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

-------------------------
I am interested in by "working diligently to monitor and improve our transportation operations property-wide" they mean more about the gondola and minnie vans options. We don't visit Disney often like others on this board (about every 6 years) but it's just plain annoying to have to factor in parking fees. So would resort fees, etc. Have we paid those in past vacations elsewhere? Sure. But it's just plain annoying plus it lessens the chance that we'll ever stay onsite again because it starts to make less and less sense (can't speak for the future just saying it's a strike against staying onsite again). But just because I don't have a trip planned for several years doesn't mean I don't have a vested interest in what Disney chooses to do now. Especially because truly decisions like these don't tend to get erased. And I'm more concerned that the $13 a day at a Value now will be $25-$30 a day by the time I get back to WDW and that is a something that weighs on someone's mind as we know costs are unlikely to stay that price for a long time.

That's definitely true ... though I think what most people are getting at is that is isn't necessarily "industry standard" - the line Disney has been feeding people .... and certainly not for any location that has twice the land of the island of Manhattan at it's disposal

Exactly.

The best comparison would be Southwest airlines NOT charging for baggage. Literally every other airline does so THAT is "industry standard." It is NOT "industry standard" for hotels to charge for parking if less than half of the largest chains do so across the board at all their properties. In fact, I challenge someone to find ONE hotel chain that charges for parking at all its locations. I bet there are none.

I could be wrong but doesn’t Disney have to preserve a certain amount of wet land due to Florida law? I mean it’s not an excuse or anything. I just keep seeing they have so much land argument. If that’s not the case why don’t they just make separate parking at each hotel. Limited space/charge non hotel guests and larger non charged for hotel guests?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter