Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
I did e-mail WDW but I didn't put any high priority to it. I received a response back yesterday and while it's more of what others have said I did want to show what they said:

Guest Experience Services (Disney)

Mar 18, 1:15 PM PDT

Dear Mackenzie,

Thank you for your email regarding our policy for overnight resort parking.

We appreciate your loyalty to Walt Disney World Resort Hotels during your past vacation. We do occasionally make adjustments based on a variety of factors, including alignment with our resorts in California and Hawaii. This is also consistent with full-service hotels within the industry. The policy regarding resort overnight parking will apply to Guests who book their hotel reservations on or after March 21, 2018, while Theme Park parking will remain complimentary for all Resort Guests. Information about parking for Resort Guests may be found on our website. As we work to implement this policy, you may be assured that we will also be working diligently to monitor and improve our transportation operations property-wide.

Complimentary parking will be available for all Guests who wish to dine, shop, enjoy activities or visit a resort for the day.

Mackenzie, we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us and hope you your family will visit us again soon. We hope you had a wonderful visit last year.

Warmest regards,

Judy
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

-------------------------
I am interested in by "working diligently to monitor and improve our transportation operations property-wide" they mean more about the gondola and minnie vans options. We don't visit Disney often like others on this board (about every 6 years) but it's just plain annoying to have to factor in parking fees. So would resort fees, etc. Have we paid those in past vacations elsewhere? Sure. But it's just plain annoying plus it lessens the chance that we'll ever stay onsite again because it starts to make less and less sense (can't speak for the future just saying it's a strike against staying onsite again). But just because I don't have a trip planned for several years doesn't mean I don't have a vested interest in what Disney chooses to do now. Especially because truly decisions like these don't tend to get erased. And I'm more concerned that the $13 a day at a Value now will be $25-$30 a day by the time I get back to WDW and that is a something that weighs on someone's mind as we know costs are unlikely to stay that price for a long time.

Interesting that the e-mail states: "Complimentary parking will be available for all Guests who wish to dine, shop, enjoy activities or visit a resort for the day." when on the website they were very careful to use the word "Select" dining, shopping, etc.

I could be wrong but doesn’t Disney have to preserve a certain amount of wet land due to Florida law? I mean it’s not an excuse or anything. I just keep seeing they have so much land argument. If that’s not the case why don’t they just make separate parking at each hotel. Limited space/charge non hotel guests and larger non charged for hotel guests?

that is true - they have set aside 7,000 acres for sure I know of ... but they currently only use 1/4 of the land they own so they could literally double the amount of building they have on the property and still have 15,000 acres undeveloped

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this.. but everyone is up in arms over the parking fee not that I'm thrilled about it but universal charges their guests. Anywhere from $12-22. They even charge day guests! The new hotel will be $45 for a day pass to park there! So don't think for one minute it's just Disney... it's crowd control for every park. If you don't want to pay for parking then go to knoebels here in pa. N there's no admission charge. You pay for a ride band or buy tickets or just watch!

I am interested in by "working diligently to monitor and improve our transportation operations property-wide" they mean more about the gondola and minnie vans options. .

Yes, bascially.

I just got an email response yesterday too. I had previously gotten a call back, but I sent out emails to 3 executives plus the general guest communications account, and this response is from that account (my original email mentioned that the reason we are renting a car for our upcoming trip is because of their stupid waterpark bus transportation transfer policy, and I mentioned the worsening bus and monorail transportation issues as well):

Mar 18, 1:01 PM PDT

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your email regarding the adjustment to resort overnight parking.

We are thrilled that you and your family will be returning to the Walt Disney World Resort in July this year! We appreciate that you took the time to share with us your thoughts and feedback about our Walt Disney World Transportation as well.

We always hope that our Guests are able to enjoy every aspect of their visit from their time at the Theme Parks, Resorts, or traveling in between. We strive to continue on improving and making our transportation system more efficient. In addition, we are thrilled to announce a new transportation option coming to the Walt Disney World Resort. Dubbed the Disney Skyliner, this new transportation system will give Guests a bird’s-eye view of Walt Disney World Resort.

For future reservations, you may find more information about parking for Resort Guests by visiting our website.

Complimentary parking will be available for all Guests who wish to dine, shop, enjoy activities or visit a resort for the day.

Be assured that we are committed to providing unique experiences and quality entertainment in our Theme Parks and Resorts.

XXXX, we are looking forward to seeing you and your family in July and hope your trip is full of magical experiences!

Warmest regards,

Lee
Walt Disney World Resort

If I hadn't already gotten a call back and been able to voice my concerns in person with someone who honestly seemed to want to hear me, this email response would have even further irritated me. It's basically a PR speak ad for the Skyway, which does not go to the water parks, as far as I know. So, they didn't even directly address my complaint about that.

And calling it an "adjustment" to resort overnight parking? What is that? It's a FEE. Not an "adjustment." So much spin on this one.

[QUOTE="darcigo, post: 58965715, member: 504052"]I don't know if anyone has mentioned this.. but everyone is up in arms over the parking fee not that I'm thrilled about it but universal charges their guests. Anywhere from $12-22. They even charge day guests! The new hotel will be $45 for a day pass to park there! So don't think for one minute it's just Disney... it's crowd control for every park. If you don't want to pay for parking then go to knoebels here in pa. N there's no admission charge. You pay for a ride band or buy tickets or just watch![/QUOTE]
Incredible.

It isn't the industry standard, but the only other major resort/theme park in Orlando also charges. And even more than Disney is going to charge.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this.. but everyone is up in arms over the parking fee not that I'm thrilled about it but universal charges their guests. Anywhere from $12-22. They even charge day guests! The new hotel will be $45 for a day pass to park there! So don't think for one minute it's just Disney... it's crowd control for every park. If you don't want to pay for parking then go to knoebels here in pa. N there's no admission charge. You pay for a ride band or buy tickets or just watch!

Right, but the big difference is Universal charges a base price much less for comparable rooms than Disney does. So when you add in their parking charges and anything else it was still generally quite a bit less than what Disney was charging for their rooms - and now it is something that was included you have an extra fee for (and it isn't like they lowered the base rate for the room)

And calling it an "adjustment" to resort overnight parking? What is that? It's a FEE. Not an "adjustment." So much spin on this one.

I could see it being an adjustment if they lowered the base price of the room and then added this charge so their net position was the same at the end just those without cars would pay a little less and those with cars would pay a little more

But to just add it on to rates that have already increased this year? That's not an adjustment, that is an extra fee with nothing to show for it

Yes, bascially.

I just got an email response yesterday too. I had previously gotten a call back, but I sent out emails to 3 executives plus the general guest communications account, and this response is from that account (my original email mentioned that the reason we are renting a car for our upcoming trip is because of their stupid waterpark bus transportation transfer policy, and I mentioned the worsening bus and monorail transportation issues as well):

Mar 18, 1:01 PM PDT

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your email regarding the adjustment to resort overnight parking.

We are thrilled that you and your family will be returning to the Walt Disney World Resort in July this year! We appreciate that you took the time to share with us your thoughts and feedback about our Walt Disney World Transportation as well.

We always hope that our Guests are able to enjoy every aspect of their visit from their time at the Theme Parks, Resorts, or traveling in between. We strive to continue on improving and making our transportation system more efficient. In addition, we are thrilled to announce a new transportation option coming to the Walt Disney World Resort. Dubbed the Disney Skyliner, this new transportation system will give Guests a bird’s-eye view of Walt Disney World Resort.

For future reservations, you may find more information about parking for Resort Guests by visiting our website.

Be assured that we are committed to providing unique experiences and quality entertainment in our Theme Parks and Resorts.

XXXX, we are looking forward to seeing you and your family in July and hope your trip is full of magical experiences!

Warmest regards,

Lee
Walt Disney World Resort

If I hadn't already gotten a call back and been able to voice my concerns in person with someone who honestly seemed to want to hear me, this email response would have even further irritated me. It's basically a PR speak ad for the Skyway, which does not go to the water parks, as far as I know. So, they didn't even directly address my complaint about that.

Yeah I wasn't expecting anything too personalized lol but yes the 'adjustment' wording is probably not the best when it comes to calming down folks. Also the diversion tactic on your e-mail too. "Don't pay attention to the reason you're upset..just look forward to that new shiny thing in the air in the future"

“We do occasionally make adjustments based on a variety of factors, including alignment with our resorts in California and Hawaii.”
I mentioned this a million pages ago. We went to DL and Aulani and didn’t think twice about the fact that there was a parking charge.

While we can argue whether “industry standard” accurately reflects the landscape, it’s far from unusual. People keep citing space constraints as a justification. I look at it as a demand issue, as there are some locations where we’ve paid for parking that were not limited in space like manhattan is.

Right, but the big difference is Universal charges a base price much less for comparable rooms than Disney does. So when you add in their parking charges and anything else it was still generally quite a bit less than what Disney was charging for their rooms - and now it is something that was included you have an extra fee for (and it isn't like they lowered the base rate for the room)

And they raised it twice in the last year, which is more than normal.

It isn't that this is the biggest straw of them all. It's just getting past the last straw people are willing to carry.

Gotta’ say — not sure that’s off in any way. There is still greater demand for WDW than Universal. There should be a price differential. Suppose we could argue over how large it should be, but it makes sense.

I think there’s too much focus on “comparable rooms” to the exclusion of LOCATION. For an extreme example (!!) take one hotel room and drop it in Hawaii — take an identical room and drop it in Siberia. Probably won’t rake in the same $$. :D

I think Universal hotels charging for parking is justified threefold.

One, they have VERY limited parking (just the one large structure, from what I can tell).

Two, you can walk from all their hotels (or take a boat) directly to the parks, so if they didn't charge, people would simply park in the hotel lots and walk over to the parks. This eliminates that.

BUT (and Three), at Universal Hotels, it also needs to be noted that the hotel parking lots have GATES and TICKETS are issued, so there is no way to NOT pay for parking. You can't get out until you A) Insert your room key or B)Insert a credit card to pay for parking. It is this way at the Swan and Dolphin as well. So, they have a mechanism in place to prevent people from NOT paying (and the charge isn't JUST for hotel guests, but anyone who comes to the hotel).

If Disney were going to move in this direction, and install gated entry and exit points, and REQUIRE EVERYONE who enters that parking lot to A) Pay nightly as a guest or B) Pay hourly as a visitor, I would have no problem with it.

The argument for me isn't whether it's "industry standard" for Disney to charge a parking fee. No, the issue is that Disney used to be different. They actively promoted the "magic" about Disney, and they were considered a cut above when it comes to a vacation destination in terms of customer service, experience, and perks such as staying at their hotels and getting transportation to parks. It was all a big Disney bubble. Their recent decisions have most generally been whatever gets them more profit. With the addition of parking fee--regardless of whether Universal, major hotels, or average to large cities charge parking fees for visiting--Disney has blatantly taken a step backward to join the ranks of "industry standard." I've said it before, and will in the future, Disney once SET the standards--now, they are content to BE the standard. That realization is from where my greatest displeasure emanates. Nor will they be content to stand pat with these purely profit parking fees (it's not as though they're going to hire some extra personnel to start monitoring the overcrowded parking at various resorts). The next step could just as easily be charging each family a $25, one-time fee to use DME. Why not charge a scaled fee to travel on the new Skyliner? Vegas does something similar to ride their city train (or whatever it's called). Don't think it could happen? Look back on the past decade or less of the decisions they have made in regards to add-on fees.

I'm not attempting to say Disney doesn't have a right to charge fees however they see fit. I won't even argue that they're greedier than most corporations. I will say that I've finally reached my personal breaking point where I'm no longer a Disney apologist. I won't stop going, but I won't go as often and will spend less time in the parks and more just relaxing in the area and at the resort. My habits won't change Disney, but that doesn't mean I can't change. ;)

Universal is 2-3 day visit. If Disney wants their parks to only be a 2-3 day vacation, then this comparison is perfect.

BUT (and Three), at Universal Hotels, it also needs to be noted that the hotel parking lots have GATES and TICKETS are issued, so there is no way to NOT pay for parking. You can't get out until you A) Insert your room key or B)Insert a credit card to pay for parking. It is this way at the Swan and Dolphin as well. So, they have a mechanism in place to prevent people from NOT paying (and the charge isn't JUST for hotel guests, but anyone who comes to the hotel).
Yep. I cannot wrap my head around how WDW thinks it's going to start enforcing the new rules on March 21. Are new gates and ticket machines going to be installed overnight tomorrow?!

I mentioned this a million pages ago. We went to DL and Aulani and didn’t think twice about the fact that there was a parking charge.

While we can argue whether “industry standard” accurately reflects the landscape, it’s far from unusual. People keep citing space constraints as a justification. I look at it as a demand issue, as there are some locations where we’ve paid for parking that were not limited in space like manhattan is.
Eh..DLR is labled as a pedestrian resort according to Disney so I would expect less cars and more demand for space on cars especially given the area it is in. I would expect parking charges for certain areas in Hawaii. We stayed at a place for one night in Waikiki/Honolulu within walking distance to Duke's Waikiki before we moved to our for rent by owner condo place. It was $25 to park there overnight--we expected it but it's abundantly clear why they charge--there is a parking shortage down there. The underground garage of the hotel had room for like 6 spaces themselves. The rest was street parking..of which there was no space period left.

I'm sure some places are demand but it doesn't make the 'space constraint' viewpoint any less valid. Disney is listing 'industry standard' because they think it will appease enough people and it probably will. But that argument only rings completely true to people who have only stayed at hotels that charge for parking. When you've stayed at hotels that don't charge for parking, even in touristy places, the 'industry standard' line sounds more like an empty phrase. And while it is correct or not people do tend to think that Disney rises above the industry in at least certain ways. For a company that has long since prided themselves on being magical, being set apart from their competition using the 'industry standard' line...doesn't rub people the right way who have seen Disney as that above standards company.

As for Aulani, Disney advertises that "Aulani never charges a Resort fee". If they chose to reverse that and start charging it, while you could use the 'industry standard' line I doubt people would be happy about that.

ETA: At Aulani they also charge Day Guests so there's not special treatment there. If you want parking validation you need to spend $ at Aulani in order to get that--even though Disney would love for you to spend $ shopping, at the spa, or eating you will get charged parking during the day unless you get it validated at the places listed on their website.

Last edited:
The amount of the parking fee isn't the issue. They are claiming it sets them equal to "industry standard" but at the same time charge double roughly of area hotels, have smaller or less attractive rooms, don't give free breakfast, and don't have microwaves, all of which are industry standard. They also are charging people that are actually staying while not people there for a few hours so it doesn't solve any perceived parking lot issues at several resorts.

We would always compare onsite to off by adding the total cost then seeing if the added perks were worth the extra cost. Getting free parking at the parks was always included, now its a wash or a slight savings. Another perk gone, and that double cost a night is getting paper thin. The 60 day FP remains the only reliable perk since EMH have been slashed in recent years.

Also industry standard: REWARD POINTS. For all of the major chains, free nights would be racking up incredibly fast at $600 per night.

RE: Disney claiming they are "aligning with their properties in California and Hawaii"

Okay, here is how parking is handled at Disneyland.

Theme park parking is $20 at the main lots. Hotel guests technically *could* park in those lots, but it is NOT free if they chose to do so. Although, why they would want to is anyone's guess.

Hotel parking for overnight guests is $20 per night across the three properties

Day guests at the hotels can ONLY park there if they have a reservation for a table service meal, or a Mandara Spa reservation at the Grand Californian. Guests with dining reservation will get 3 hours for free, or 5 hours if dining at Napa Rose or getting a spa treatment at Mandara. Day guests who either exceed the validation limits or fail to provide a validated ticket will pay $20 for the first hour, and $10 for each additional hour, maximum of $60. Valet will cost $30 for the first hour, plus $10 for each additional hour, maximum $100 per day.

Downtown Disney parking is NO LONGER FREE FOR ANYONE. The first 3 hours can be validated with a MINIMUM single $20 purchase from a Downtown Disney Merchant. The first 5 hours can be validated with a sit down meal or movie at AMC. Note: you cannot obtain validation from any of the three hotels to park at Downtown Disney. Parking at Downtown Disney is $12/hr, charged in 30 min increments of $6/30 min. Maximum daily charge is $48.

All of this is strictly enforced with ticket machines and gates. Ticket booths are staffed at resort and downtown disney exits at all hours. You cannot exit the lot without handing over the ticket and paying, if required. If Disney TRULY is aligning with California and Aulani, they will have to step it up and install ticket machines, gate arms, and staffed parking booths at all hotel lot exits.

And, I expect them to start charging to visit Disney Springs too, if they are really serious about "aligning" themselves with Disneyland. While they are at it, they might want to "align" themselves with Disneyland's higher standards overall too...

It should be noted that Disneyland's theme park lots ROUTINELY fill up. Just yesterday, a Sunday in mid March, ALL theme park lots were full by 1:20pm. There is a severe shortage of available parking space at DLR. They are currently building TWO very large parking structures to increase the available spaces for the resort.

I just cancelled my November trip. I went to Disney twice last year but have to admit I was still shocked by the cost of my planned November stay - I'm guessing because of reported resort and ticket increases.

But I was hoping the Fall discounts could apply when they are released in April. But now I'm just not into going. Not like I expected the backlash to change Disney's mind but I gave it a few days to see and I'm still feeling annoyed by it all. So I changed my vote in the poll. I can't say I'm never going to Disney again but I do need a break!

Universal is 2-3 day visit. If Disney wants their parks to only be a 2-3 day vacation, then this comparison is perfect.

I just looked at the holiday inn by the millennia mall so at least a 30 minute ride on a good day..N the rooms are about $95 give or take, plus a resort fee of $37 PLUS $12 per night to park. Rates will definitely increase, benefits get less every couple years. Pretty soon it will be an exclusive playground for those fortunate enough to pay for it and maybe they will have a" free day" for the rest of us paupers! I'd still pay for parking as of this moment, but if they take away any more" benefits" I'll be visiting other parts of America sooner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter