Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
Also industry standard: REWARD POINTS. For all of the major chains, free nights would be racking up incredibly fast at $600 per night.

Could you imagine if Disney had reward points...that would be nice!

Heck - even if they just had a better rewards Visa card! What is it, 2% on Disney purchases and groceries or gas and 1% on everything else? Not very competitive to industry standards there. I get 2% on all purchases on my Barclay travel card and 3% on travel and Dining on my Chase. Plus my sign-up bonus for both were much higher than $200!!!

The argument for me isn't whether it's "industry standard" for Disney to charge a parking fee. No, the issue is that Disney used to be different. They actively promoted the "magic" about Disney, and they were considered a cut above when it comes to a vacation destination in terms of customer service, experience, and perks such as staying at their hotels and getting transportation to parks. It was all a big Disney bubble. Their recent decisions have most generally been whatever gets them more profit. With the addition of parking fee--regardless of whether Universal, major hotels, or average to large cities charge parking fees for visiting--Disney has blatantly taken a step backward to join the ranks of "industry standard." I've said it before, and will in the future, Disney once SET the standards--now, they are content to BE the standard. That realization is from where my greatest displeasure emanates. Nor will they be content to stand pat with these purely profit parking fees (it's not as though they're going to hire some extra personnel to start monitoring the overcrowded parking at various resorts). The next step could just as easily be charging each family a $25, one-time fee to use DME. Why not charge a scaled fee to travel on the new Skyliner? Vegas does something similar to ride their city train (or whatever it's called). Don't think it could happen? Look back on the past decade or less of the decisions they have made in regards to add-on fees.

I'm not attempting to say Disney doesn't have a right to charge fees however they see fit. I won't even argue that they're greedier than most corporations. I will say that I've finally reached my personal breaking point where I'm no longer a Disney apologist. I won't stop going, but I won't go as often and will spend less time in the parks and more just relaxing in the area and at the resort. My habits won't change Disney, but that doesn't mean I can't change. ;)
I get what you’re saying and agree with a lot of it. My two cents is that while “they used to be industry leaders and now they’re industry standard” is a clever turn of phrase, I don’t feel it gets to what’s at issue here.

You mention how they “used to be different”... and now they’re not because... what... they’re charging for parking? Adding up-charge events? Raising prices “too much”?

Leading in customer service doesn’t necessitate “leaving money on the table”. I think it’s a separate discussion as to whether Disney has lost a customer service edge it used to have.

A lot of these additions in recent years have made WDW MORE magical for our family — not less. Now parking... not so magical!! I don’t think it’s a question of Disney becoming like every other company. I think it’s that it’s psychologically difficult to take customers from FREE to $$$ for something that isn’t value-add to their vacation. And harder to do on the heels of other increases.

I think this also touches on something problematic that goes well beyond Disney: pricing some groups OUT of products/services that they used to be able to afford. I think it’s a real issue that can’t be adequately addressed on a Disney message board. A Disney trip is the least of this type of problem.

I can just say again: I don’t like this — particularly the regressive nature of the new charge for those at value resorts — on the heels of all other increases. I think it’s too regressive, and that the timing and rollout has just stunk.

RE: Disney claiming they are "aligning with their properties in California and Hawaii"

Okay, here is how parking is handled at Disneyland.

Theme park parking is $20 at the main lots. Hotel guests technically *could* park in those lots, but it is NOT free if they chose to do so. Although, why they would want to is anyone's guess.

Hotel parking for overnight guests is $20 per night across the three properties

Day guests at the hotels can ONLY park there if they have a reservation for a table service meal, or a Mandara Spa reservation at the Grand Californian. Guests with dining reservation will get 3 hours for free, or 5 hours if dining at Napa Rose or getting a spa treatment at Mandara. Day guests who either exceed the validation limits or fail to provide a validated ticket will pay $20 for the first hour, and $10 for each additional hour, maximum of $60. Valet will cost $30 for the first hour, plus $10 for each additional hour, maximum $100 per day.

Downtown Disney parking is NO LONGER FREE FOR ANYONE. The first 3 hours can be validated with a MINIMUM single $20 purchase from a Downtown Disney Merchant. The first 5 hours can be validated with a sit down meal or movie at AMC. Note: you cannot obtain validation from any of the three hotels to park at Downtown Disney. Parking at Downtown Disney is $12/hr, charged in 30 min increments of $6/30 min. Maximum daily charge is $48.

All of this is strictly enforced with ticket machines and gates. Ticket booths are staffed at resort and downtown disney exits at all hours. You cannot exit the lot without handing over the ticket and paying, if required. If Disney TRULY is aligning with California and Aulani, they will have to step it up and install ticket machines, gate arms, and staffed parking booths at all hotel lot exits.

And, I expect them to start charging to visit Disney Springs too, if they are really serious about "aligning" themselves with Disneyland. While they are at it, they might want to "align" themselves with Disneyland's higher standards overall too...

It should be noted that Disneyland's theme park lots ROUTINELY fill up. Just yesterday, a Sunday in mid March, ALL theme park lots were full by 1:20pm. There is a severe shortage of available parking space at DLR. They are currently building TWO very large parking structures to increase the available spaces for the resort.
You are subjected to having your car towed if you park overnight in the Disneyland theme park parking lot/structure.

Eh..DLR is labled as a pedestrian resort according to Disney so I would expect less cars and more demand for space on cars especially given the area it is in. I would expect parking charges for certain areas in Hawaii. We stayed at a place for one night in Waikiki/Honolulu within walking distance to Duke's Waikiki before we moved to our for rent by owner condo place. It was $25 to park there overnight--we expected it but it's abundantly clear why they charge--there is a parking shortage down there. The underground garage of the hotel had room for like 6 spaces themselves. The rest was street parking..of which there was no space period left.

I'm sure some places are demand but it doesn't make the 'space constraint' viewpoint any less valid. Disney is listing 'industry standard' because they think it will appease enough people and it probably will. But that argument only rings completely true to people who have only stayed at hotels that charge for parking. When you've stayed at hotels that don't charge for parking, even in touristy places, the 'industry standard' line sounds more like an empty phrase. And while it is correct or not people do tend to think that Disney rises above the industry in at least certain ways. For a company that has long since prided themselves on being magical, being set apart from their competition using the 'industry standard' line...doesn't rub people the right way who have seen Disney as that above standards company.

As for Aulani, Disney advertises that "Aulani never charges a Resort fee". If they chose to reverse that and start charging it, while you could use the 'industry standard' line I doubt people would be happy about that.

ETA: At Aulani they also charge Day Guests so there's not special treatment there. If you want parking validation you need to spend $ at Aulani in order to get that--even though Disney would love for you to spend $ shopping, at the spa, or eating you will get charged parking during the day unless you get it validated at the places listed on their website.
Why the “Eh...” to start. Not necessary. :goodvibes

They are different locations with different particulars. It shouldn’t surprise any of us that they will operate the parking charge differently. It’s still accurate to say that they charge for parking in some fashion at these other locations.

I already shared my two cents on the industry leader vs. standard line, so I’ll leave this there. :)

Why the “Eh...” to start. Not necessary. :goodvibes

They are different locations with different particulars. It shouldn’t surprise any of us that they will operate the parking charge differently. It’s still accurate to say that they charge for parking in some fashion at these other locations.

I already shared my two cents on the industry leader vs. standard line, so I’ll leave this there. :)
Eh is part of my normal vocab :confused3

I just cancelled my November trip. I went to Disney twice last year but have to admit I was still shocked by the cost of my planned November stay - I'm guessing because of reported resort and ticket increases.

But I was hoping the Fall discounts could apply when they are released in April. But now I'm just not into going. Not like I expected the backlash to change Disney's mind but I gave it a few days to see and I'm still feeling annoyed by it all. So I changed my vote in the poll. I can't say I'm never going to Disney again but I do need a break!
Sorry to hear that. :( I get the disillusionment and disappointment. I mentioned pages back how I took a bit of a break after my personal D23 debacle. ;) We chose to come back because the WDW trip was still worth it to us. Disney magic is still there in spades for us. :) I get that this won’t be true for all... but maybe after a break! :)

I just cancelled my November trip. I went to Disney twice last year but have to admit I was still shocked by the cost of my planned November stay - I'm guessing because of reported resort and ticket increases.

But I was hoping the Fall discounts could apply when they are released in April. But now I'm just not into going. Not like I expected the backlash to change Disney's mind but I gave it a few days to see and I'm still feeling annoyed by it all. So I changed my vote in the poll. I can't say I'm never going to Disney again but I do need a break!
I suspect more and more people are going to do this once they start adding up all the costs and increases, then look at the total.
This fee won't keep me from going in the future, but it dang sure opens the door on staying off site.

I suspect more and more people are going to do this once they start adding up all the costs and increases, then look at the total.
This fee won't keep me from going in the future, but it dang sure opens the door on staying off site.

It's interesting how no discount, even small, given to repeat customers. I mean, families are coming for decades now yet not even a dollar point reward????????????

I think it’s that it’s psychologically difficult to take customers from FREE to $$$ for something that isn’t value-add to their vacation

Truth.

The one little girl dress shop near me used to host free "tea parties" monthly. They would do a craft (they made a fruit loops rainbow for example) and have little cups of juice or tea and cupcakes while mom shopped.

I always spent a bare minimum of $75 each time. I have four little girls you know.

Well, they decided to start charging $10 a kid but you got $5 back on a purchase of $20 or more. So, suddenly I'm being charged for something that was previously offered for free. So while I could spend roughly the same amount, suddenly I'm getting less for it.

We stopped going. Heck, my family paying the $10 per kid would have been enough for the supplies for everyone for a year's worth of tea parties. I'm not suddenly paying for a service that was offered free. Why would I pay more and get less.

FYI, i received a call from Patrick, DVC member services over the weekend. I just called back, but he isn't in today.

I left a brief message, again stating my distaste for this fee, but told him not to worry about calling me back. He's getting tons of these calls, I'm sure, and he's DVC. So, why bother?

I get what you’re saying and agree with a lot of it. My two cents is that while “they used to be industry leaders and now they’re industry standard” is a clever turn of phrase, I don’t feel it gets to what’s at issue here.

You mention how they “used to be different”... and now they’re not because... what... they’re charging for parking? Adding up-charge events? Raising prices “too much”?

Leading in customer service doesn’t necessitate “leaving money on the table”. I think it’s a separate discussion as to whether Disney has lost a customer service edge it used to have.

A lot of these additions in recent years have made WDW MORE magical for our family — not less. Now parking... not so magical!! I don’t think it’s a question of Disney becoming like every other company. I think it’s that it’s psychologically difficult to take customers from FREE to $$$ for something that isn’t value-add to their vacation. And harder to do on the heels of other increases.

I think this also touches on something problematic that goes well beyond Disney: pricing some groups OUT of products/services that they used to be able to afford. I think it’s a real issue that can’t be adequately addressed on a Disney message board. A Disney trip is the least of this type of problem.

I can just say again: I don’t like this — particularly the regressive nature of the new charge for those at value resorts — on the heels of all other increases. I think it’s too regressive, and that the timing and rollout has just stunk.
Fair enough, though I would counter that the parking fees are simply the latest problematic decision in a series of them. The parking fee alone isn't the cue for my *******; as I indicated, it simply was the one which finally tilted the needle in my personal case. I further agree that leaving money on the table (or not in Disney's case) isn't a clear indicator of whether someone is leading an industry. How they do so, the reasoning they use (or don't), and the value added for that particular fee or up charge does, however. I'll grant you for some, perhaps most, it's not a game changer. However, as you iterate, it's "psychologically difficult" for customers to take a token money grab and not feel used, especially (again as you say) when it's not an isolated event. Are they pricing people out? Yes. Is it deliberate? A much tougher question to answer. There's no doubt the new parking fee is regressive, and that alone is enough for me personally to claim Disney is now beginning to follow suit as much it leads.

Update: I emailed customer service and left a 1 star review on Facebook.

I also had a striking idea as I continued to read through your insightful reports. First, I wish to sincerely thank anyone who has voiced their complaints, in particular to DVC members. Now, I was thinking perhaps it would be helpful for DVC members to assist in voicing concerns because even though this policy doesn't directly affect them, it affects all of us to some degree. Even if you are DVC or never drive, imagine the other ridiculous future fees/add-ons Disney will throw our way if we put our towels down now. Yes, of course I am aware they've been packing on fees before, but as established, this overnight parking fee is outrageous. We need to at the very least show Disney we are willing to put our foot down when enough is enough so in the future they will consider this backlash when (and I refuse to say "if") they decide to add on the next unreasonable fee.

Thank you. I have literally ONLY paid for parking at hotels in San Francisco, New York City, and the Swan/Dolphin complex. That is IT. My husband also travels a lot for work. He has NEVER stayed at a hotel that charged for parking.

Quick Chicago story. DD was in college so we went to Target downtown which was weirdly like on the 3rd floor of a building or something (been a while). Anyway we park in the ramp under the Target sign, buy a couple things.

$60 to get out of the ramp 30 minutes later.

Oh and the hotel was $55/night. Like 4 years ago.

ETA: Disney should still be no additional charge parking IMO.

We spent Saturday night at Cabana Bay over at Universal. $204/night for a family suite plus $12 parking. We priced out WDW, and got a rate of $240/night for CBR. We considered it, but the pools closed at 8pm vs 11pm at cabana.

So for less money (even before WDW starts the parking fees) we got a suite and a resort that isn’t half under construction. We also got a pool open past 8.

My point is that if people have to pay parking fees everywhere, they may start discovering other options. I can’t fathom returning to a WDW moderate after discovering Cabanna Bay this weekend. And the parking fees weren’t even in the equation yet....

We spent Saturday night at Cabana Bay over at Universal. $204/night for a family suite plus $12 parking. We priced out WDW, and got a rate of $240/night for CBR. We considered it, but the pools closed at 8pm vs 11pm at cabana.

So for less money (even before WDW starts the parking fees) we got a suite and a resort that isn’t half under construction. We also got a pool open past 8.

My point is that if people have to pay parking fees everywhere, they may start discovering other options. I can’t fathom returning to a WDW moderate after discovering Cabanna Bay this weekend. And the parking fees weren’t even in the equation yet....
I'm curious after reading your post... do we have any sense of what proportion of Disney visitors also visit Universal, and vice versa? And how many nights they spend in each on average when they do this?

I would think this would impact how many people might see Universal hotels as a viable option. We haven't been to Universal (went to the one in Hollywood primarily for Walking Dead attraction!) -- we would NEVER consider an onsite hotel there as a viable alternative to a WDW resort.

But I could imagine other area hotels seeing a bit of a bump... not sure... I could see this "fading into the woodwork" in a few months, with new visitors having no idea there was ever free parking. Will they pick offsite vs. onsite for a $13-$24/night difference in parking, IF they would NOT have done so for the already existing price differential... maybe... but seems doubtful on any large scale...

That's very well put - I think the fact people, who were used to staying on site, maybe explored staying off site and then would see resort fees or parking fees, etc. and get turned off by it vs the "all inclusive" Disney price .... now I think the "concept" of paying for parking won't feel as "dirty" (for lack of a better word" to people if Disney is doing it too ... and that will make it that much easier for people to be comfortable going off site

I'm curious after reading your post... do we have any sense of what proportion of Disney visitors also visit Universal, and vice versa? And how many nights they spend in each on average when they do this?

I would think this would impact how many people might see Universal hotels as a viable option. We haven't been to Universal (went to the one in Hollywood primarily for Walking Dead attraction!) -- we would NEVER consider an onsite hotel there as a viable alternative to a WDW resort.

But I could imagine other area hotels seeing a bit of a bump... not sure... I could see this "fading into the woodwork" in a few months, with new visitors having no idea there was ever free parking. Will they pick offsite vs. onsite for a $13-$24/night difference in parking, IF they would NOT have done so for the already existing price differential... maybe... but seems doubtful on any large scale...

Not sure what the number is - I have a lot of friends that do both (say, 4-5 nights at Disney and then 2-3 at Universal, usually at one of their "deluxe" resorts to get the express pass). I can see whatever the percentage is only going up going forward

Not to mention the new "value" resorts that Universal is building on the old Wet N Wild site that is projected to start at under $100/night and 2/3rds of the rooms will be suites that can handle larger families. Definitely attractive to me vs having to pay like $250 or whatever for Port Orleans Riverside or $350 for a suite at Art of Animation that can fit my family of 5

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter