Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
I want to add, in case anyone at DW cares:

1) Families save for years to make a trip to DW. The additional parking costs absolutely feel like being nickel and dimed. DW has prided itself on it's hospitality. Charging for something like parking when staying at a resort is just inhospitable.

2) If I drive, and don't use Disney Transportation, then why don't I get a discount for not using that resource? I am presumably paying for a resource that I am not using. The same principle applies to parking. Just roll the cost into the room charge.

3) It's ridiculous to charge for parking when DW is in the middle of a swamp. Space is not an issue. It's not Manhattan or L.A., where land is at a premium.

4) If the goal is to limit drivers who will need parking because of limited parking space in lots, then incentivize using a valet system in conjunction with parking garages so that parking can be maximized.

I was planning to stay on property this fall, because of the many perks. But that extra $100 for a 4 night stay is just enough to lead me off property where I can get a much lower rate. If I have to pay for parking at the parks or at the resort, then I might as well pay less for my accommodations.

DW--This may seem like a small change, but psychologically, it feels like something is being taken away. No one likes that feeling. This new policy is a mistake. Didn't anyone run this by a focus group?

Anyone on here who hadn't booked before this because they were waiting for free dining or another reason go on and book to avoid this fee or did most people just make the decision to not book because of it? Since we have 5 days to book was curious if there was a spike in bookings.

I’m talking to my travel agent about seeing if I can get dopey scheduled before this goes into effect.

Then I’ll have till dark side 19 to figure out what I want to do.

This might be an unpopular opinion...

I’m honestly surprised it has taken Disney this long to charge for parking. Whenever I have stayed at offsite hotel chains (Florida, Anaheim, elsewhere),75% of the time we are paying more for parking than what Disney will be charging for value and moderate resorts. I think Disney is one of the last major hotel companies to start charging for parking. We usually frequent Hilton properties and they usually charge for parking now at least when we have stayed at them recently.

Now, I agree that the Deluxe pricing might be a bit steep, but I’ll only stay at deluxe resorts if we are staying on DVC points.

On my most recent trip, I budgeted offsite hotels, as well as, value hotels. I ended up staying at the All-Stars, because it was $30 cheaper a night than any of the offsite hotel chains I was looking at. If you stay offsite, you’re paying for transportation to the parks or Disney’s theme park parking prices. If you stay onsite, you are still going to get to park at the theme parks for free (my understanding). On my most recent trip, I could have still stayed at the All-Stars and pay the parking prices for cheaper than staying at the Disney Springs hotels or somewhere reasonably close to property.

So, if you are upset about this, there might still be a chance that you could go to Disney for a reasonable price. I understand that it’s Disney getting more money out of their guests.

I feel like they'll stick by it and see if it really affects the revenue when all is said in done. I mean the public often kicks and screams at all sorts of things, but I feel like businesses (and politicians) hope for short memory and at the end of the day they get what they want with little hurting them at the end of the day...I hope I'm wrong!

I mean a lot of rooms would have to stay vacant for them not to make a lot of money off of daily guest resort parking fees. That's a lot of people not just getting angry but also cancelling vacations and staying off property.
I don’t know how much this will affect their revenue. It would depend on the % that either drive or rent cars. Personally I think it’s a minority of guests. I think most are like me, fly and don’t want to spend the extra $ on car rental.
Even though I don’t use a car in WDW, this latest slap is upsetting to me. I think more than loosing money, it’s really tarnishing the Disney brand for many of us. It is no longer seen by many as a wonderful company and looked up to.

Who really thought this was a good idea?
The Bobs.
96fdbf1c.jpg.650x650_q85.jpg

I’m honestly surprised it has taken Disney this long to charge for parking. Whenever I have stayed at offsite hotel chains (Florida, Anaheim, elsewhere),75% of the time we are paying more for parking than what Disney will be charging for value and moderate resorts. I think Disney is one of the last major hotel companies to start charging for parking. We usually frequent Hilton properties and they usually charge for parking now at least when we have stayed at them recently.

Now, I agree that the Deluxe pricing might be a bit steep, but I’ll only stay at deluxe resorts if we are staying on DVC points.

On my most recent trip, I budgeted offsite hotels, as well as, value hotels. I ended up staying at the All-Stars, because it was $30 cheaper a night than any of the offsite hotel chains I was looking at. If you stay offsite, you’re paying for transportation to the parks or Disney’s theme park parking prices. If you stay onsite, you are still going to get to park at the theme parks for free (my understanding). On my most recent trip, I could have still stayed at the All-Stars and pay the parking prices for cheaper than staying at the Disney Springs hotels or somewhere reasonably close to property.

So, if you are upset about this, there might still be a chance that you could go to Disney for a reasonable price. I understand that it’s Disney getting more money out of their guests.
I think it depends on where the Hilton, Marriott Hotel is located as to wether there is parking charge. I’ve stayed at a beachfront Marriott that had paid parking, and a Marriott a few miles from the beach with free parking. And a Marriott just outside of Disney Springs with free parking. Same with Hilton’s.
All Stars may be cheaper than some Disney Springs but Holiday Inn is $106 + $15/parking and I think that’s the lowest end hotel in that area, but still more amenities than a WDW value. Rooms are larger and don’t have the open closet in the bathroom. Hot tubs. Fridge & coffee maker. Indoor hallways....

Current TLDR is: ??????? The Parking fees have been removed from the main webpage, but are still up on some individual resort pages. We don't know what to think at this point. If you were planning on emailing them to complain, still do so.
Thanks! And I did contact and let them know that even as a DVC member I thought it was a bad move. They gave me back the change on my "two cents"

(1) Disney added overnight parking fees for resort guests based on the level of resort.
(2) People are upset and many of them have emailed Disney expressing their dissatisfaction.
(3) Disney has responded to some of those people.
(4) For some people this is the last straw and they are considering staying offsite.
(5) Disney appears to have taken down the parking fees from part of their website, but it remains on other parts of the website.
Thanks! Well so all I missed in 30 pages was #5. Talked to my wife about how viral this one thread is and she mentioned several of her WDW fan pages on FB were all going through the roof. I was hoping #5 was going to happen, but I agreed with one comment who said all Disney has to do is wait blank amount of time and everyone will forget about getting free parking and no one will care.
(6) and the prices are back up....

I may get blasted for this, but I would rather they charge for theme park parking than resort parking. There are more ways to “avoid” the parking charges at the theme parks - Disney transportation, Minnie Vans, Uber/Lyft, being an AP holder/DVC. And, if you are not going to a park one day (or several days), you don’t pay.

Good idea, but whats to keep people from driving to the monorail/boat/gondolier properties park for free and clog up those parking lots. I think guests there would complain about all the Value Resort people taking their spaces when they get back to their hotel and can't find a spot

I think it depends on where the Hilton, Marriott Hotel is located as to wether there is parking charge. I’ve stayed at a beachfront Marriott that had paid parking, and a Marriott a few miles from the beach with free parking. And a Marriott just outside of Disney Springs with free parking. Same with Hilton’s.
All Stars may be cheaper than some Disney Springs but Holiday Inn is $106 + $15/parking and I think that’s the lowest end hotel in that area, but still more amenities than a WDW value. Rooms are larger and don’t have the open closet in the bathroom. Hot tubs. Fridge & coffee maker. Indoor hallways....
Are you talking about the Disney Springs Holiday Inn? If so, that is by far our favorite DS hotel. Their customer service is simply outstanding! There is nothing "low end" about this hotel. Give it a try sometime if you haven't stayed there yet!

Thanks! And I did contact and let them know that even as a DVC member I thought it was a bad move. They gave me back the change on my "two cents"

Thanks! Well so all I missed in 30 pages was #5. Talked to my wife about how viral this one thread is and she mentioned several of her WDW fan pages on FB were all going through the roof. I was hoping #5 was going to happen, but I agreed with one comment who said all Disney has to do is wait blank amount of time and everyone will forget about getting free parking and no one will care.
(6) and the prices are back up....

Good idea, but whats to keep people from driving to the monorail/boat/gondolier properties park for free and clog up those parking lots. I think guests there would complain about all the Value Resort people taking their spaces when they get back to their hotel and can't find a spot
Those resorts near monorail or boat, are patrolled. Guests not staying at those resorts get 3 hr parking limit or they’re towed. And depending on how busy they are guests wanting to park there may not be allowed unless they have an ADR.

I said this in an earlier post, but I never thought parking was truly 'free.' I saw it as an included perk in an expensive resort option. While value resorts are a reasonable option for an on-site property, the quality of the room could easily be surpassed at an off-site property for the price even if the off-site property charged parking. I've stayed at value, moderate and deluxe resorts and easily could find better rooms for half the price of a comparable quality room.

But I pay more to stay on-site for a lot of other reasons, including free parking at the resorts and theme parks (for some trips I calculate this anyway). I travel all the time and belong to Hilton, IHG, and Marriott. And I've stayed in a range of resorts across the world and for what you get, even including the magic of Disney, the value of the room isn't the same at other properties of similar value and therefore can't be compared to other hotels as far as what they do and don't charge for fees. Especially when Disney resorts aren't the only money maker for Disney. The majority of people staying on property are also buying park tickets or buy APs. So they are making money outside of just the resort...that's not true for a Hilton or Marriott property.

At least that's my opinion.

Are you talking about the Disney Springs Holiday Inn? If so, that is by far our favorite DS hotel. Their customer service is simply outstanding! There is nothing "low end" about this hotel. Give it a try sometime if you haven't stayed there yet!
Yes, that’s the one I’m referring to. Wasn’t really calling it a low end, maybe wrong wording. Just mean it’s probably the lowest room rate of all the DS properties. I did say the rooms looked a lot nicer than Allstars :upsidedow
How long of a walk is it to Disney Springs? I know it’s the furthest away. Is it walkable?

The site is being glitchy again! Do you all think they are taking down the parking info, yet again?

I’m on a business trip now staying at Hampton inn which is owned by Hilton. I’m in New York State about 45 minutes from nyc. No parking charge.

The site is being glitchy again! Do you all think they are taking down the parking info, yet again?

No they are putting all the other fees they were planning to release over time but figured that why everyone is already pissed off the might as well hit everyone like a ton of bricks and hope everyone forgets about it over the weekend. Happy Friday from Disney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter