One more sleep, live updates with pictures

We had the same worries,I.even planned that we would change resorts if we didn't like it! We loved it! Didn't think it was that bad size wise at all and we coped fine with no car too,we really enjoy the paddock section and have requested it again when we go in 3wks :) soo excited.

Beautiful resort, the boys really love Pop but even they love it here, the paddock is great.
We are in a studio and think it's plenty big enough and the sofa is really comfy, I have cwtched Charlie off a few nights and fell asleep on there myself x

Today we went to Islands of adventures, my favourite ride overall was Spider-Man, the more times I ride it the more I appreciate this ride. It really is a fun family ride that all ages can appreciate. After the ride we crossed the road to meet Spider-Man, only waited a a few minutes and I was really impressed! Spider-Man talked to the boys and showed a great interest for around 5 minutes, asking where they were from and how they got here etc, anyone who can hold a conversation with Charlie for that long deserves a medal! As a parent that made my day. We rode Jurassic Park and got soaked as some silly little mare insisted on seating at the front then moaned for the next hour that they were soaked, ha! Harry potter has wait times of 60 minutes which wasn't bad as earlier in the week queues were in excess of 120 minutes! I let the boys ride whilst me and Charlie rode the smaller roller coaster. There were two rides that were closed in Seuzz Landing so Charlie was a little upset but it didn't ruin our day. We ended up leaving about 2pm and headed home for a nap. I have had an awful head cold brewing since I got here but the last two days have been terrible, I think it's the air conditioning, I have a weak immune system and I am always ill, guess that is what happens when you work with Children! Tonight we had dinner at Boma, this was one of my favourites last time we did the dining plan and it didnt let us down this time either. It's such a nice change from the usual offerings and the dishes are so tasty yet there are still some kid options of your feeling less adventurous. The lamb curry and rice with sultanas were my favourite, I think I wobbled out of AKL!

F83D7218-774C-4A7D-8F22-F9AB85778DB2.jpg

617CA910-F37F-4872-A0D1-DAFB373C58AF.jpg

A1AC8116-58B3-425A-9F40-7DDBB2A8ABA1.jpg

those giraffes are just sooooooo beautiful!!!
i could watch them all day long!!
that was my favorite part of staying at AKL...

did you ride on jurassic park? it's fun, but it has such a violently sharp stop at the end ...i don't know why they do that..other than that, i love the ride!!

as i've already said, you have very handsome sons!!!!!!! how are they doing? are they handling the heat ok?

those giraffes are just sooooooo beautiful!!!
i could watch them all day long!!
that was my favorite part of staying at AKL...

Opening the curtains on a morning to find giraffes eating right in front of you has to be one of the best starts to the day.:thumbsup2

those giraffes are just sooooooo beautiful!!! i could watch them all day long!! that was my favorite part of staying at AKL... did you ride on jurassic park? it's fun, but it has such a violently sharp stop at the end ...i don't know why they do that..other than that, i love the ride!! as i've already said, you have very handsome sons!!!!!!! how are they doing? are they handling the heat ok? .

Yes we all rode Jurassic Park and it definitely is a sharp stop.
We have decided to save a little extra and try AKL, we love it there plus the restaurants are some of our favourites on property.
To be honest they are doing pretty well, DH has struggled the most, trust the men to moan huh!? Lol! We have been pretty sensible though, regularly checking the shops to cool down, drinking plenty of water and tipping it over the boys heads to help cool them down which they find highly amusing x

Opening the curtains on a morning to find giraffes eating right in front of you has to be one of the best starts to the day.:thumbsup2

Worth the upgrade then Wayne? We don't spend much time in the room and wondered if it would be worth the extra £££, I know id never get the boys off the balcony!

Yesterday we were back at Magic Kingdom for the opening of the seven dwarfs mine train. Wait times weren't too bad for a new ride but there didn't seem to be a big queuing area, the queue wrapped around the where Ariels Grotto is! Queue time averaged 70 minutes which I didn't find bad for a new ride. We also rode some of the rides we didn't get to last time such as Ariel, Monster Inc laughing floor, met Ariel in her grotto which was a lovely experience as Charlie got really shy! We rode space mountain which I'll never do with Charlie again, spent the whole ride worrying about him and bending forward trying to secure his head. I felt awful putting him on that one, lesson learnt! Rode buzz a few times before grabbing some slushes and finding a spot for the new Fantasy Parade. The Parade has some technical hitches and we were just about to give up when it kicked off 30 minutes late at 3.30pm! Totally worth the wait though, it was a lovely parade, costumes were great and attention to detail was fantastic. We headed home for a quick refresh before going to Hollywood Studios for dinner at Hollywood and Vine with Star Wars characters! This was great fun, food was pretty good but I only had a small plate full and I was full, not liking all this food, going to come home a stone heavier! Did manage to snap DH desserts though, really cute! We also made use of the dining package and watched Fantastmic, Charlie really enjoyed this.
1E4B1057-176B-451E-8691-3D4E56217872.jpg
D3DD0E06-29BA-4048-8314-B5C392D8660F.jpg
334E2211-70CD-4992-B060-1C8E20BC60AC.jpg
CFCCC8FB-AD82-49EA-A852-6DC8CD8513B1.jpg

85D995C0-ADEE-409F-A83D-E17F28E1368E.jpg

8D03881B-FBCA-480C-ACA1-E0510639C040.jpg

Worth the upgrade then Wayne? We don't spend much time in the room and wondered if it would be worth the extra £££, I know id never get the boys off the balcony!

Difficult to answer. I can't justify Disney prices at all now. When we stayed there we paid £70/nt, no idea what current rates are. I just know the balcony view takes some beating.
Just had a quick look at some random dates in August, £250/nt no room is worth that to me.

i agree with Wayne regarding current disney prices.
I thought they were stratospherically high when we stayed there, and it was a lot less expensive back then.

only once did we stay there for an extended period (2 weeks) and then it was worth it for us to be in a savannah room as DH had to work every afternoon - so we were in the room quite a bit - the 3 of us (me, DD and DS) spent a lot of time out on the balcony watching the animals. It was a lovely way to spend the time!!

the other time we stayed at AKL, we were there for just 3 days in concierge specifically so that we could go on the sunrise safari - and it was worth every penny of the effort!!! absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!

in the end, each person has to evaluate what's worth it for them and what isn't.

probably if the kids were still little and we could all fit in one room, i wouldn't get quite the sticker shock i do now (when i have to get us 3 rooms - DH and me, DD and her husband, DS and his wife and kids).

Hi. We are at AKL now but in a none Savannah view room. We have really only slept in the room so I'm happy we didn't pay for a savannah view. We have spent several sessions looking at the animals which has been fun and it is a truly beautiful resort. That said. With hindsight I think DD would have been just as happy at Port Orleans and I'd have been considerably better off!!!! I think on reflection, this would be a great resort to spend a couple of nights at for the end of a trip, winding down, enjoying the savannah view and eating at the great restaurants here. I've enjoyed our stay here but probably should have saved a few quid and gone moderate as it was just me and DD this trip. We live and learn I suppose. Next trip we've gone for OKW but that was all about the space as with the four if us (two teenagers) I wanted more room to keep out of each other's way lol. If you plan on spending a lot of time at the hotel or money is no object I would absolutely recommend this hotel. My reflection is purely based in cost.

Hi. We are at AKL now but in a none Savannah view room. We have really only slept in the room so I'm happy we didn't pay for a savannah view. We have spent several sessions looking at the animals which has been fun and it is a truly beautiful resort. That said. With hindsight I think DD would have been just as happy at Port Orleans and I'd have been considerably better off!!!! I think on reflection, this would be a great resort to spend a couple of nights at for the end of a trip, winding down, enjoying the savannah view and eating at the great restaurants here. I've enjoyed our stay here but probably should have saved a few quid and gone moderate as it was just me and DD this trip. We live and learn I suppose. Next trip we've gone for OKW but that was all about the space as with the four if us (two teenagers) I wanted more room to keep out of each other's way lol. If you plan on spending a lot of time at the hotel or money is no object I would absolutely recommend this hotel. My reflection is purely based in cost.
This is one reason I am so glad I bought into DVC now after seeing how much the resorts have hiked their prices. I have rented to a very dear friend on here BLT and it has cost her £135 a night lake view compared to disney near £400 a night. Higher season cost as well. Buying the ddp is not worth it for us either but I agree that the savannah view is amazing. I used to get up early when it was dawn with my coffee watching the animals. One of my favourites but still like pop as was always the one we stayed at when dd was little and OKW . Cinderella- I love boma as well. Good value on the ddp and off. Much prefer the buffets when you have kids.

Definitely food for thought, I have just bought a new car and I can't justify the extra but I'll keep looking. I am pretty easy to please, I love SSR but would happily slum it in POP, lol! Not been on our balcony once, just don't have the time. Takes 45 minutes to get Charlie ready of a night as by then I collapse on the bed and watch American TV! I know how to party ... Not!

Yesterday was Epcot. We had a bit of lie in, didn't get into Epcot until 10.30am. Rode soaring, test track again then headed around the world for a look before stopping at via napoli for lunch. First time eating here, i wish I had the pizza, lesson learnt! The pizza is the reason to eat here, so tasty! I wasn't that impressed with mine but it was edible. The service and atmosphere was definitely better at Tuttio Italia. Yet again ended up boxing up the desserts and they are still in the fridge! Going to come home a stone heavier at least! We came home and headed to the old beltz, this and the Florida Mall are my favourites. Bought quite a bit, treated myself to a nice Michael Kors Watch, handbag and matching purse ... Apparently I don't treat myself much, don't think hubby will say that sentence again for awhile! Headed over to POR on the way he for lunch, it's absolute chaos in there! Has been the twice we have been over there, the canteen is carnage but I like the good choices, all fried food is playing havoc with my stomach and really been struggling.
35ED7E05-8407-44A7-A73D-5DD3CFE473E7.jpg
FF16432C-3E4B-4668-A241-F08D995820E5_1.jpg

29F0E573-0BB8-4382-8B50-9E8DCF038B57.jpg

After a long day at the park waiting for the bus ...
36F33144-904E-4CF5-B1CC-EDF41ECAE8AE.jpg
523915AE-A345-41AF-A7AC-F6A64085D0C3.jpg

Today we had a lounge by the paddock pool and I did the washing ready to bring back ... I hate doing it when I get home! We headed to Hollywood Studios about 2.30pm, rode Toy Story, the great movie ride, Aerosmith, had a look around Walts, how the magic began then watched Beauty and the Beast before heading for Tea at Sci Fi Dine in. I can watch the beauty and the beast show time and time again, it really is good. Charlie was fixated, didn't take his eyes off the performance the whole time. The food was really nice at Sci Fi and surprisingly quiet, I was expecting it to be noisy. Service wasn't too bad until she had her tip then wasn't bothered! Waited 20 mins for her to bring our boxed up fruit over and gave up! Like she disappeared, not normally so impatient but the boys had finished and wanted to go. Such a shame
44B443CA-4BBA-42C9-B49F-2A6201C24BB0_1.jpg

0EE56CC3-8704-48CC-BB5E-4DD078ABD579.jpg

8C7989D4-6215-45DF-B014-E6E080547DEB.jpg

Definitely food for thought, I have just bought a new car and I can't justify the extra but I'll keep looking. I am pretty easy to please, I love SSR but would happily slum it in POP, lol! Not been on our balcony once, just don't have the time. Takes 45 minutes to get Charlie ready of a night as by then I collapse on the bed and watch American TV! I know how to party ... Not!

you'll be surprised that your kids may prefer "slumming it at POP"

we've been going to WDW for 40 years (since 1974) :eek:...

well i have.....with the kids since 1984 - so 30 years with them..

at the very beginning, when they were toddlers, we stayed off property in one of the suite hotels so that we had a kitchen...

i think when they were about 5 years old, we started staying on property...
first at the all stars and then POR (dixie landings back then), and then when DD was about 10 we moved up to the deluxes and stayed there for years and years...every deluxe, usually in concierge....so the top of the top....
for 3 weeks at a time (i guess we must have had more money back then, or the prices were a lot more reasonable)...

anyway, on our first group trip after the kids married, we stayed at Pop Century - what many people would call slumming it after RPC concierge at the Grand Floridian.
But you know what? DD and DS said they enjoyed pop just as much as all the other disney resorts we've stayed in.

DH and i went again last year with just DD and DSIL (DS and his wife couldn't come as she's a teacher and had to be back for school).

we again stayed at pop and enjoyed it just as much and would not define it as slumming it at all.

The CMs at Check in and in the store are as nice as can be.
We found everything to be very well run.
They were happy to fulfill all of our requests.

So it's not slumming it. It's definitely disney.

It doesn't have a pool slide - so if that's a must for you, go to one of the others.
however, they have fun games at the pool all day long (run by the lifeguards) and outdoor movies at night.

you can't get free dining there on the UK free dining package, however you can if you're on the american free dining plan - free quick service.

If you're very picky about who else is in a resort with you, you might not like it as you'll probably encounter a few more walmart shoppers than Bloomingdales (on the other hand, walmart shoppers tend to be a whole lot friendlier than those who frequent bloomies).
And you certainly want to avoid it during the chearleading competitions.
but other than that, i think you'll be very pleasantly surprised.
We were.
we really love it at pop!! :)

you'll be surprised that your kids may prefer "slumming it at POP" we've been going to WDW for 40 years (since 1974) :eek:... well i have.....with the kids since 1984 - so 30 years with them.. at the very beginning, when they were toddlers, we stayed off property in one of the suite hotels so that we had a kitchen... i think when they were about 5 years old, we started staying on property... first at the all stars and then POR (dixie landings back then), and then when DD was about 10 we moved up to the deluxes and stayed there for years and years...every deluxe, usually in concierge....so the top of the top.... for 3 weeks at a time (i guess we must have had more money back then, or the prices were a lot more reasonable)... anyway, on our first group trip after the kids married, we stayed at Pop Century - what many people would call slumming it after RPC concierge at the Grand Floridian. But you know what? DD and DS said they enjoyed pop just as much as all the other disney resorts we've stayed in. DH and i went again last year with just DD and DSIL (DS and his wife couldn't come as she's a teacher and had to be back for school). we again stayed at pop and enjoyed it just as much and would not define it as slumming it at all. The CMs at Check in and in the store are as nice as can be. We found everything to be very well run. They were happy to fulfill all of our requests. So it's not slumming it. It's definitely disney. It doesn't have a pool slide - so if that's a must for you, go to one of the others. however, they have games at the pool all day long (run by the lifeguards) and outdoor movies at night. you can't get free dining there on the UK free dining package (you can if you're on the american free dining plan - free quick service) If you're very picky about who else is in a resort with you, you might not like it as you'll probably encounter a few more walmart shoppers than Bloomingdales. And you certainly want to avoid it during the chearleading competitions. but other than that, i think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. We were. we really love it at pop!! :)

We have stayed at POP a few times, it's the boys favourite, Ethan loves the food court and I love the bright theming. Like you say it's not everyone's cup of tea but it works for what we need, I only joked at the summing it at pop having talked about staying at AKL then downgrading but it all depends on price, I have stayed at most on site properties, it's nice to get a feeling of them all. I have been coming since I was a kid and have stayed off site but I like the option of the buses and knowing I don't have to drive if I don't feel like it, We always hire a car but tend to use it for shopping or if we visit other theme parks outside of Disney.

We have stayed at POP a few times, it's the boys favourite, Ethan loves the food court and I love the bright theming. Like you say it's not everyone's cup of tea but it works for what we need, I only joked at the summing it at pop having talked about staying at AKL then downgrading but it all depends on price, I have stayed at most on site properties, it's nice to get a feeling of them all. I have been coming since I was a kid and have stayed off site but I like the option of the buses and knowing I don't have to drive if I don't feel like it, We always hire a car but tend to use it for shopping or if we visit other theme parks outside of Disney.

we always hire a car too... the buses are too cold for DD (in general, the a/c is too cold for us everywhere in the US!! when the kids were little, we were once stuck in the airport in new jersey for many hours because of weather....the a/c was on so strong that i ended up buying the kids sweat suits in one of the airport stores!!! - they would have frozen to death in the airport though it was 95 degrees outside in sweltering new jersey!!)

we always hire a car too... the buses are too cold for DD (in general, the a/c is too cold for us everywhere in the US!! when the kids were little, we were once stuck in the airport in new jersey for many hours because of weather....the a/c was on so strong that i ended up buying the kids sweat suits in one of the airport stores!!! - they would have frozen to death in the airport though it was 95 degrees outside in sweltering new jersey!!)

That is one thing that we have noticed this time. Charlie especially has been complaining and we have found it difficult as a sudden change in temperature can be serious. Looking forward to breakfast x

That is one thing that we have noticed this time. Charlie especially has been complaining and we have found it difficult as a sudden change in temperature can be serious. Looking forward to breakfast x

we tend to carry a light jacket or something to put on inside the restaurants.

i have one backpack with something for the cold and a second backpack with ponchos :)

and the sunscreen in one or the other ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter