Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

I'm not surprised. Wine & Dine has lost its uniqueness and is now one of many 10k and half weekends.

And also don't lose track of the fact that Disney can raise the race pricing as the date gets closer too.

And they can go back to not have every hotel a host hotel.

And they can change the course on a whim.

I'm not surprised. Wine & Dine has lost its uniqueness and is now one of many 10k and half weekends.

I understand the half, but I figured the 5K or at the very least the 10K would have sold out yesterday. But you're right, Wine & Dine has lost it's uniqueness.

Well, I'm glad it isn't sold out. I have definitely gotten bitten by the runDisney bug, but I can't commit to a race this far out as a newbie.

I was surprised 5k didn't sell out (it seems to be a fast mover usually.) But I think there is some question about what the 5k is exactly. Is it holiday? Is it fall themed? Is it in Animal Kingdom? Epcot? Magic Kingdom (yeah, I know not gonna happen but one can dream) or heaven help us all, the WWOS?
Personally for me I signed up for it because I'm already gonna be there on vacation that day and my hubby said "YEAH DO IT!" So whatever it is, I'm showing up and will have fun.

But I can see people who are more casual in their rundisney-ness not knowing what exactly they are signing up for, so just sort of waiting for more information.

I was surprised 5k didn't sell out (it seems to be a fast mover usually.) But I think there is some question about what the 5k is exactly. Is it holiday? Is it fall themed? Is it in Animal Kingdom? Epcot? Magic Kingdom (yeah, I know not gonna happen but one can dream) or heaven help us all, the WWOS?
Personally for me I signed up for it because I'm already gonna be there on vacation that day and my hubby said "YEAH DO IT!" So whatever it is, I'm showing up and will have fun.

But I can see people who are more casual in their rundisney-ness not knowing what exactly they are signing up for, so just sort of waiting for more information.
They are definitely keeping things vague with a lot of their events - this 5K, the challenge (no theme announced) and the challenge for Disneyland (also no theme attached). Not sure what the reasoning behind that is.

well, all these races are so early to register now, right after the holiday season, where people have just spent a lot of money on vacations and gifts. Those folks might not have the disposable income to register for these races earlier than in years past. Say now, if this were to register in March, then perhaps things would be different. runDisney will make changes after seeing how these races are not selling out like they were. The fact that you could register for the 10k and the Half the day before this past weekend for Star Wars kinda says everything. runDisney will need to change their tune if they wish to continue. Something is off. The overall cost, value & uniqueness needs to be reimagined.

Wow, really? That's kind of disappointing. I guess I thought it was like getting a dessert party ticket. I'm not so sure I'd be able to stay awake till midnight, after getting up at 3:30 am, and this doesn't really sound like the incentive to do so.
I took a good, long nap between the race and party, so I was awake and pretty well rested by the time I got to EP around 6:30pm (AP holder, so I entered early.) But I could have done without the party past about its first hour, TBH: it felt more crowded than I expected and I really had no desire to stand in lines for food that late. I'll probably just go for a short while this time.

I took a good, long nap between the race and party, so I was awake and pretty well rested by the time I got to EP around 6:30pm (AP holder, so I entered early.) But I could have done without the party past about its first hour, TBH: it felt more crowded than I expected and I really had no desire to stand in lines for food that late. I'll probably just go for a short while this time.

It was much more crowded then I expected. I think it was due to the fact that very few people were in the front part of the park. Frozen Ever After was still a 90 minute to 2 hour wait. Walking around World Showcase there was A LOT of people which again surprised me because it was a Sunday night. All the food booths were open from what I could tell though if anyone is wondering.

They could probably axe the DJ at the front.

I didn't even attend the party. I couldn't justify another day off of work, so my friend and I made Epcot our park of the day that day to celebrate before heading home. I'm not that sorry that I missed it based off of what I heard about the crowds from friends who stayed for it. One thing that I think really worked about having the party right after the race at night was the fact that not everyone was arriving at once. Runners finished and trickled in a little at a time.

I'm in for the challenge and 5k... and to complete castle to chateau challenge.
Now waiting to register for the Super Heroes weekend to complete the coast to coast too.

That was my schedule in 2016. Three rD halfs and visited three Disney castles in about seven weeks. It was quite fun. Still on the fence about repeating it this year for the night time 5K and the DLParis Challenge....

Hi all. We registered for the 10k and assumed that the post-race party was included, but obviously found out that it's not unless you're running the half. I am assuming that there are no discounts offered for 10k runners, AP holders or DVCers? Additionally, can anyone give me an idea of when the post-race party sells out? I'd love to buy our tickets a few days in advance when I know the weather will be favorable, but, well, it's Disney and I'm expecting it sells out months in advance. Any ideas of what to expect? Thanks!!

I do not recall ever seeing the after party tickets offered at a discount. The event will "sell out" at some point. Whether they actually sell out the capacity of tickets or just close sales and say they are "sold out" is up for your interpretation.

The 'fall' wording makes me think they are moving away from the holiday theme. But we won't know until they officially say something. And thinking way back to the first 5K that accompanied the first Wine & Dine Half, it was done from the TTC through the Magic Kingdom and back to the TTC. Doubt they would repeat this course with current crowd trends, but hey. If we are gonna hope....

I totally forgot that yesterday was registration day, until I was leaving the office for lunch. Keeping my perfect streak intact, as I am in for the challenge and the 5K.

It was much more crowded then I expected. I think it was due to the fact that very few people were in the front part of the park. Frozen Ever After was still a 90 minute to 2 hour wait. Walking around World Showcase there was A LOT of people which again surprised me because it was a Sunday night. All the food booths were open from what I could tell though if anyone is wondering.

They could probably axe the DJ at the front.
It felt very much like a nightclub vibe... which is maybe what most folks wanted, but I was looking forward to a mellow, relaxed evening. I may officially be Old, lol! Good to know about FW being less busy, though: I'd be cool with just hitting some rides and skipping the booths!

Crowds dropped dramatically about an hour or so in. At least the last two or so hours rides were walk on and maybe 1-2 people in the food booth lines. I had a blast then!

Crowds dropped dramatically about an hour or so in. At least the last two or so hours rides were walk on and maybe 1-2 people in the food booth lines. I had a blast then!
I had a totally different experience! I was there until closing and it still felt more crowded then I'd have liked. But I also had no interest in food that late, so wasn't paying attention to food lines, just general area congestion. We rode Frozen at the end with about a 30-minute wait.

I had a totally different experience! I was there until closing and it still felt more crowded then I'd have liked. But I also had no interest in food that late, so wasn't paying attention to food lines, just general area congestion. We rode Frozen at the end with about a 30-minute wait.

Really?? Wow that's crazy! I saw some food booths actually close up early because the area was empty! I didn't try to ride frozen though because we'd used a FP for it already. So we mostly just did soarin and ate/drank.

I also thought they could have put the DJ closer to world showcase like they did with the after hours event the year before. Would have felt more like a party I think? But, I know you said you didn't like dj's!

C2C medal question... I'm doing PHM & THM, so I will get my pink C2C medal at Tink.
Would I also get the blue C2C medal by doing W&D half (in essence, can Tink count twice for both pairings)?

Question:
Are baby strollers allowed in the Wine & Dine 10K?

No strollers allowed during any rundisney race for safety reasons. You may see some disabled athletes on the course being pushed by aids, but that is a different scenario where they have rundisney's permission.

Years ago they allowed baby strollers during some 5ks but not anymore (that's what I was told the first time I had the same question as you.)

Edited to add what is on the official site:
  • For everyone's safety, selfie sticks, baby joggers, strollers, baby carriers, baby backpacks, skates, scooters, bicycles, skateboards, canes, crutches, walkers, walking sticks, and animals of any kind are prohibited from the course. Violators will be removed from the course and transported to the finish line area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter