Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

Next up: Irving 10k next Sunday with my girlfriends then I'll just cruise into Star Wars weekend. Can't wait! 23 days until we leave!

I'm looking for a half for this weekend and I am about an hour from the DFW area. I was planning on the Big D but saw the Irving Half that day too. Have you done either? Know anything about them that could help me pick one or the other?

Training... :guilty:

I wish! Still rehabbing some PFPS. On the upside, I've been working my hips and gluts like crazy and DW has complimented my backside a bit more, so I've got that going for me, which is nice. There will be a test run tomorrow to see if I can get back into things, otherwise it's pool running and strength work the rest of the way. So it'll either be a mostly walked 13.1 (like Princess), or I will be blowing the lid off my PR in a blur of deranged lunacy!

Re: the course... Someone mentioned the secrecy around the course, and I agree. It serves no purpose, and to be honest it's poor service to the runners. Most other races I've done include the course in the registration information. Strategy is still a part of what we do, even if Disney races aren't filled with elite NY qualifiers. Oh, well... Since this will be the last in an ridiculous string of runDisney events going back to last January, I probably won't bother to complain.

I'm looking for a half for this weekend and I am about an hour from the DFW area. I was planning on the Big D but saw the Irving Half that day too. Have you done either? Know anything about them that could help me pick one or the other?

I don't... I'm not from the area. I'm headed to see my pal @Keels , she may be able to say a little more about them

Your life sounds exactly like mine! I have a big project starting early April and will probably be working nonstop until the day I leave. Isn't life grand? At least we get a vaca to look forward to...
I want to get most of my WDW stuff finalized this week or so. I don't want to worry about certain vacation needs when I barely have time to sleep.

It actually was the sharp side, but it was pretty dull. That's why the log slipped to begin with. The doctor said no running for a couple of weeks and then try a test run before the race. I guess he will be cross training between now and then, and we will just pray for the best.
Hope that he heals up quickly. I live in fear of injury heading into the last month or so before a race.

My training is fine, but now we're heading into the most difficult part of training for me. I did my 4 and 12.5 mile back to back runs this weekend and they may well be the last back to back runs I get in until race weekend. I'll soon be working 12 hour days 6 days a week with no time to run on Sundays. I know I can get the maintenance runs in, but it's the long ones that worry me.

Irving is a GREAT race weekend - it's smaller, cheaper and WAY flatter than the Big D course.

I've got a 20-percent off code if you want it!

So if my husband signs up now without POT, what are the chances he'll be placed in the last corral? He's talking about running it with me now (he did the 12.5 miles yesterday no problem), but doesn't want to risk us getting swept by pushing me to the last corral (since I'm slow). He's actually faster than me, so if he's a corral or two behind, he'd probably be able to catch up to me pretty quickly? Maybe?

If he signs up now he will still have one chance to put in a POT when registering (as long as the race was run before the POT deadline). He can't go back and edit though, since we are past the deadline. So make sure he inputs in correctly the first time.

If he has no races to use, then yes, put 2:45 as his estimate time. That should keep him out of very last corral. Then have him start at the front of his corral (get there early) and then catch up to you.

What she said :) but to add, I had to do this in January and trackshack confirmed the race could be post POT deadline if registering late. I used my wine and dine time from a month before.

Training is stalled here. I did 9 miles before leaving for New Orleans last weekend. Then I came back and 2 days later was super sick with a head cold to destroy all head colds. I havent been that sick since middle school! But I was achey too so no running yet, though I am almost back to normal. I only train up to 10 miles so not worried yet. I just want to get a couple back to back runs in for the challenge. I usually do a 4x4 and a 6x6. Now I just have to fit them in with work craziness and leaving early since I am doing Celebration the weekend before too.

How's everyone's running attire coming along? Anyone dressing full out in a full suit of sorts? Mine are stacked in a pile, simple and ready to go!

I got two outfits from Poprageous's Star Wars inspired line:

311010-001_copy_grande.jpg
POPRAGEOUS_SKATERDRESS_ORANGEROBOT_FULL_grande.jpg

The current plan is to wear BB-8 for the 5K and the Storm Trooper for the Half, but it's ultimately going to come down to what the weather is looking like the day of the race on which one I wear which day.

How's everyone's running attire coming along? Anyone dressing full out in a full suit of sorts? Mine are stacked in a pile, simple and ready to go!
For the 5K, DH will be Poe Dameron (I just need to rig up a hat/helmet) and I'll be BB-8. The 10K will be a bit more involved if I can block out time to finish some necessary details. And for the half, I'm repurposing my planned costume from the canceled WDW Half, but with an Imperial twist! Just starting to panic a little since time is growing so short and I've got a lot of other stuff on my plate.

I'm beginning to think simple is the way to go! :thumbsup2

Irving is a GREAT race weekend - it's smaller, cheaper and WAY flatter than the Big D course.

I've got a 20-percent off code if you want it!

That would be awesome! Thanks! Big D's site claims it is a flat course, but it doesn't have an elevation chart. Irving is a little further for me, but worth it for flat!

I got two outfits from Poprageous's Star Wars inspired line:

311010-001_copy_grande.jpg
POPRAGEOUS_SKATERDRESS_ORANGEROBOT_FULL_grande.jpg

The current plan is to wear BB-8 for the 5K and the Storm Trooper for the Half, but it's ultimately going to come down to what the weather is looking like the day of the race on which one I wear which day.
Those are great! I could never show my belly!

For the 5K, DH will be Poe Dameron (I just need to rig up a hat/helmet) and I'll be BB-8. The 10K will be a bit more involved if I can block out time to finish some necessary details. And for the half, I'm repurposing my planned costume from the canceled WDW Half, but with an Imperial twist! Just starting to panic a little since time is growing so short and I've got a lot of other stuff on my plate.

I'm beginning to think simple is the way to go! :thumbsup2
Awesome! Excited to see what you do for the 10k & Imperializing your half outfit!

My 5k is Deathstar battle from a New hope , 10k is Grevious & half is Jabba. I'll post a pic when I'm packing. Mine are all skorts & tanks, but arm sleeves for the 10k. I sewed 2 skorts & 1 tank out of the bunch, but I knew my schedule would be busier leading up to leaving so got them done awhile ago along with adding my graphics. My brother painted the Jabba tank for me. Now, he has nothing done, except a tank I sewed for him.

Last edited:
Just starting to panic a little since time is growing so short and I've got a lot of other stuff on my plate.

This is me! The plan is Darth Minnie for the 5K, an Ariel/Boba Fett mashup for the 10K (most nervous about this one) and then a Raw Threads shirt and Sparkle skirt for the 1/2, although I am tempted to rewear my Light Side half outfit because I love it so! But it's just a simple tank top with an ode to Leia on it and a Sparkle Skirt. Either way I'm settled for the half, but slacking on the others! LOL!

Is Disney the only races you all have run where they hold the course info for so long? I was trying to think if I've ever done any races where it's like this and can't come up with any. Pretty silly at this point.

What she said :) but to add, I had to do this in January and trackshack confirmed the race could be post POT deadline if registering late. I used my wine and dine time from a month before.

Training is stalled here. I did 9 miles before leaving for New Orleans last weekend. Then I came back and 2 days later was super sick with a head cold to destroy all head colds. I havent been that sick since middle school! But I was achey too so no running yet, though I am almost back to normal. I only train up to 10 miles so not worried yet. I just want to get a couple back to back runs in for the challenge. I usually do a 4x4 and a 6x6. Now I just have to fit them in with work craziness and leaving early since I am doing Celebration the weekend before too.

Thanks everyone! DH joined the Dark Side and signed up yesterday, bwahahahaha. He's planning to run at my pace (which is MUCH slower than he would naturally be), but we'll see how that goes. He's pretty competitive and has a hard time being passed by other runners. Me - I'm not racing against anyone but the balloon ladies :rotfl2:

Is Disney the only races you all have run where they hold the course info for so long? I was trying to think if I've ever done any races where it's like this and can't come up with any. Pretty silly at this point.

I think part of it is that RunDisney is constantly changing courses for the newer weekends, while the majority of other races I have run have used the same course over and over so recertification would not be required. I'd be interested in the certification date on the newer RunDisney courses to see if they are really holding the course info under wraps or if they just get the certification performed close to the race weekends. By all accounts, RunDisney is a very small organization that doesn't have the capacity to multitask efficiently, so it could well be that they just get the courses certified close to the race weekends.

Those are great! I could never show my belly!

It has certainly held me to my goal to be down some pounds before race weekend, LOL. I was comfortable enough with the way it looked when it arrived (the leggings is pretty high waisted so there isn't too much waist showing), but it wasn't my ideal look so I've been using the outfit as my motivator to stay on top of my game. So far so good! The scale hit the lowest number I can remember seeing in a few years this morning. :dancer:

I think part of it is that RunDisney is constantly changing courses for the newer weekends, while the majority of other races I have run have used the same course over and over so recertification would not be required. I'd be interested in the certification date on the newer RunDisney courses to see if they are really holding the course info under wraps or if they just get the certification performed close to the race weekends. By all accounts, RunDisney is a very small organization that doesn't have the capacity to multitask efficiently, so it could well be that they just get the courses certified close to the race weekends.
I looked at last year's certification and the course was measured in Oct. but it wasn't certified until a couple days before the race. I wonder if that's normal or if Disney asked them not to sign off on it until then.

It has certainly held me to my goal to be down some pounds before race weekend, LOL. I was comfortable enough with the way it looked when it arrived (the leggings is pretty high waisted so there isn't too much waist showing), but it wasn't my ideal look so I've been using the outfit as my motivator to stay on top of my game. So far so good! The scale hit the lowest number I can remember seeing in a few years this morning. :dancer:

Jealous! I know I'm not the only one, but I've gained weight since I've started running longer distances. I'd like to say it's all muscle, but I'm pretty sure it's at least partially due to the "hey, I ran 3 miles today, I can eat these three cookies" mentality. :rotfl:

Jealous! I know I'm not the only one, but I've gained weight since I've started running longer distances. I'd like to say it's all muscle, but I'm pretty sure it's at least partially due to the "hey, I ran 3 miles today, I can eat these three cookies" mentality. :rotfl:
I haven't lost any weight of coarse I don't Pena scale either but dr has me at same weight. I have lost 3 inches though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter