Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

Training check-in!

How's everyone doing?
I only ran 3 of the 4 for Saturday and 8.5 of the 12.5 for Sunday. I woke up Saturday morning with some strange pain in my right hip area. I don't know what it is. It has subsided for the most part. I worked out with my trainer for an hour last night and the only time it was felt was during my Russian twists. I am hoping to get out for a 3-4 mile run tonight or tomorrow and see.

Minus this small amount I cut off and one week a couple weeks ago where I did not run the 11 (but ran a 10 mile race the following weekend), I have been 100% on track with the miles. So i am feeling good going into it. i have been pretty much non stop training for almost a year. Dark Side 2016, then a couple weeks off before DL Half, then right into Light Side and now Dark Side again. LOL

Under Planning for Darkside on rundisney

• Transportation is only provided to and from the host resorts.
  • Parking is limited at all venues. We strongly encourage the use of event transportation whenever possible.
  • Please check with the respective resort front desks for race transportation pick up locations.
  • Please note that there will be no parking at Magic Kingdom® Park for the Star Wars 10K and the Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side. Parking will be available at Epcot® and bus transportation will be provided from Epcot® to Magic Kingdom® Park.

runDisney Health & Fitness Expo

• Bus Transportation
  • Thursday: 9:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
  • Friday: 9:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
  • Saturday: 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Buses will continue running for 30 minutes after the end of the Expo to bring guests back to the resorts from the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

Star Wars 5K

• Bus Transportation
  • Friday: 4:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
  • Participants must board a bus no later than 4:30 a.m. in order to make it to their corrals on time.

runDisney Kids Races

• Please utilize Expo Transportation Schedule.

Star Wars 10K

• Bus Transportation
  • 3:30 a.m. – 5:00 a.m. Buses running from Host Resorts to Start Line at Magic Kingdom®
  • 6:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. Buses running from Host Resorts to Finish Line at Epcot®
  • 3:30 a.m. – 6:00 a.m. Buses running between Epcot® and Magic Kingdom®
  • NO Monorail Transportation will be available
  • Participants must board a bus no later than 4:00 a.m. in order to make it to their corrals on time.
  • Runner drop off is available in the Charter Lot of Magic Kingdom® Parking or the Charter Lot at Epcot®.
Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side

• Bus Transportation
  • 3:00 a.m. – 5:00 a.m. Buses running from Host Resorts to Start Line at Magic Kingdom®
  • 6:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Buses running from Host Resorts to Finish Line at Epcot®
  • 3:00 a.m. – 6:30 a.m. Buses running between Finish Line at Epcot® to Magic Kingdom®
  • Participants must board a bus by 4:00 a.m. in order to make it to their corrals on time.
  • Runner drop off is available in the Charter Lot of Magic Kingdom® Park or the Charter Lot at Epcot®.

Just ran 4 miles for lunch at 84 degrees, humidity actually decent for here 55%, but damn it was hot... again, beyond ready for a course!!

costume plans... haunted mansion workers for 5K, 10K donald duck (me) steamboat willie (hubs), Half R2D2 (me) darth vader (hubs).... so ready to go

I think part of it is that RunDisney is constantly changing courses for the newer weekends, while the majority of other races I have run have used the same course over and over so recertification would not be required. I'd be interested in the certification date on the newer RunDisney courses to see if they are really holding the course info under wraps or if they just get the certification performed close to the race weekends. By all accounts, RunDisney is a very small organization that doesn't have the capacity to multitask efficiently, so it could well be that they just get the courses certified close to the race weekends.

Yeah I'm sure the parks add some logistical issues with the planning too but with less then a month to go you would think they would know where it's going. At least I hope so. Doesn't seem like something you do last in the planning process. :) Is what is though so we shall continue to wait.

So based on what I just posted from the official website- - - if I read it correctly, the short of it for the 10k & Half is
if Driving - park at EPCOT and are bused to TTC (Magic Kingdom parking). No parking at TTC (Magic Kingdom parking) and no monorail running.

• Parking is limited at all venues. We strongly encourage the use of event transportation whenever possible.
  • Please check with the respective resort front desks for race transportation pick up locations.
  • Please note that there will be no parking at Magic Kingdom® Park for the Star Wars 10K and the Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side. Parking will be available at Epcot® and bus transportation will be provided from Epcot® to Magic Kingdom® Park.

• Bus Transportation
Buses will continue running for 30 minutes after the end of the Expo to bring guests back to the resorts from the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

Star Wars 5K

• Bus Transportation
  • Participants must board a bus no later than 4:30 a.m. in order to make it to their corrals on time.

runDisney Kids Races

Star Wars 10K

• Bus Transportation
  • 3:30 a.m. – 5:00 a.m. Buses running from Host Resorts to Start Line at Magic Kingdom®
  • 6:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. Buses running from Host Resorts to Finish Line at Epcot®
  • Participants must board a bus no later than 4:00 a.m. in order to make it to their corrals on time.
  • Runner drop off is available in the Charter Lot of Magic Kingdom® Parking or the Charter Lot at Epcot®.

• Bus Transportation
  • 3:00 a.m. – 5:00 a.m. Buses running from Host Resorts to Start Line at Magic Kingdom®
  • 6:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Buses running from Host Resorts to Finish Line at Epcot®
  • 3:00 a.m. – 6:30 a.m. Buses running between Finish Line at Epcot® to Magic Kingdom®
  • Participants must board a bus by 4:00 a.m. in order to make it to their corrals on time.
  • Runner drop off is available in the Charter Lot of Magic Kingdom® Park or the Charter Lot at Epcot®.

Thanks! Now I can tell DS's GF she can have a choice. Either sleep in a little a catch a bus from the resort to the finish line @ EPCOT (OR) get up with us and then catch a bus to the finish using runDisney transportation to EPCOT.

So based on what I just posted from the official website- - - if I read it correctly, the short of it for the 10k & Half is
if Driving - park at EPCOT and are bused to TTC (Magic Kingdom parking). No parking at TTC (Magic Kingdom parking) and no monorail running.

Grrr. There's goes our plan of parking at the TTC for the start and monorail back after the finish @FFigawi

• Bus Transportation

Star Wars 5K

• Bus Transportation

runDisney Kids Races

Star Wars 10K

• Bus Transportation

• Bus Transportation

So. They are saying board a bus between 3:30 and 4:00? This seems wrong. Last year I think they started at 2:30

I'm happy there is no monorail transportation this year after my panic attack last year.

Half says 3:00am and it starts at 5:30 this year versus 5 from last year so seems right. 10k says 3:30am, which seems like most 10ks if I remember right.

I only do 10k's for the dark side challenge, so I have only done one at Disney. But a half hour window for busses still seems quick to me! I usually do the half distance so I guess maybe I am overestimating the amount of people. And you are right I forgot it started at the ungodly hour of 5 last year. How nice of them to give us that half hour!

• Bus Transportation

Star Wars 5K

• Bus Transportation

runDisney Kids Races

Star Wars 10K

• Bus Transportation

• Bus Transportation

Does anyone know which are the host resorts for this race weekend? Or is it all on-property resorts like it is for Marathon weekend?

Don't know how long it's been there on the website, but it's good to see the transportation information that @cavepig posted. Hopefully it means they're getting stuff together and an event guide will be up soon.

Maybe it's too far away from the start? That could be a long walk from the station through all the parking lots.
This makes sense to me. The TTC parking lot is big and it seems very likely that they'll have staging and the start set up in the back parts of the lot furthest from the monorail station.

I only do 10k's for the dark side challenge, so I have only done one at Disney. But a half hour window for busses still seems quick to me! I usually do the half distance so I guess maybe I am overestimating the amount of people. And you are right I forgot it started at the ungodly hour of 5 last year. How nice of them to give us that half hour!
I honestly wish it was still 5. It would give us an extra half hour of race time before sunrise which in late April would have been nice.

How's everyone's running attire coming along? Anyone dressing full out in a full suit of sorts? Mine are stacked in a pile, simple and ready to go!

Hubby argeeing to run with me through my outfit plans in disarray. Wasn't originally planning on wearing a costume, but now we're planning to do Jabba and Slave Leia. With me as Jabba and him as slave Leia :) I've got my jabba costume more or less, just need to figure out how to get an iron on gold bikini top design for him :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter