Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

Way to go @bryana !!! A PR always feels so good, especially with tough hills!

Training is solid over here. I ran a local-ish half marathon on Saturday (in the rain-yuck). It was originally going to be my PR attempt before I signed up for the race I did two weeks ago. So, I just let my legs tell me what they could handle. I started out a little speedy but once the rain set in and my feet got wet and heavy... I was doomed. I almost set perfect positive regression splits on my miles... so not good. Missed an age group award by less than a minute so I kicked myself a little because I could have pushed harder. Oh well.

Next up: Irving 10k next Sunday with my girlfriends then I'll just cruise into Star Wars weekend. Can't wait! 23 days until we leave!

Training for this one is a little strange for me. I'm actually training for Tink. We are doing this race at my DD's pace, which is going to be more walking than running. She has been sick since we got home from Princess, so her training has been limited. I did an 8 miler this weekend. I'm feeling pretty good.

Yay magic band came in today. Not too early to pack right......
I'm not quite at packing stafe yet, but I have started making piles of things to be packed :)

Training check-in!

How's everyone doing?
Eh, it's going. I'm primarily training for a 10K coming a couple weeks after DS, and I had to skip a key workout last week because I was exhausted from some stuff life threw at me. It's not the end of the world, though.

Did my DS back-to-back-to-back simulation #1 this past weekend, though: 2 miles Fri, 4 miles Sat, 11 miles Sun. The 2 and 4 were good... the 11 was a little rough. First time running a route with a couple big hills since Dopey training back in Dec., so I'm feeling that effort. And the heat has hit here in FL: nowhere near what it'll be soon, but holy cow - the sun was INTENSE! The last 4-5 miles were without shade; at a temp of 75 and 80% humidity plus full sun, I struggled. I'm not acclimated to the heat yet. I also got a slight sunburn, despite a hefty layer of 55 SPF. It's time to start getting at these runs earlier in the mornings!

So if my husband signs up now without POT, what are the chances he'll be placed in the last corral? He's talking about running it with me now (he did the 12.5 miles yesterday no problem), but doesn't want to risk us getting swept by pushing me to the last corral (since I'm slow). He's actually faster than me, so if he's a corral or two behind, he'd probably be able to catch up to me pretty quickly? Maybe?

So if my husband signs up now without POT, what are the chances he'll be placed in the last corral? He's talking about running it with me now (he did the 12.5 miles yesterday no problem), but doesn't want to risk us getting swept by pushing me to the last corral (since I'm slow). He's actually faster than me, so if he's a corral or two behind, he'd probably be able to catch up to me pretty quickly? Maybe?

2:45 or longer does not need POT. If he can run faster than 2:45, I'd say he should put that. Otherwise, I would have him put whatever time slot you put in for your pace. He should be placed accordingly, I would think. I guess there's just no real guarantee.

Square root of a guess.

My training is just ok, but it is my husband I'm worried about. When we went camping last weekend, he hit himself in the ankle with an axe while he was chopping wood. He tried to run on Thursday and started hurting after about 1.5 miles. He's heading to the doctor today.

I haven't had a long run over 7 miles since Princess, but I still feel like I will be fine. I felt amazingly strong at Princess and have seen major improvements in my training pace. I am considering running the Big D Half this weekend because I really think I can PR. I don't want to try at Dark Side because I want to stop for pics and really enjoy the course. I really just want my husband to be back on the road with me!

Does he have a POT he can use? If it's a race before the POT cutoff date, sometimes they will do a corral change at runner relations at the expo.

If he is faster than you, something worth thinking about is you are talking around 7 minutes per corral, so he could catch up to you and that way you can keep your buffer of the sweepers. We may do that as my wife is faster than me.

Training stopped here. I ran the DC Rock and Roll race on March 11, went to the doc on March 13, and was pulled off the circuit. The DC race was brutally cold(never got above 30) and I wasn't prepared for the hills. I'm also fighting some active Crohn's Disease which has been in remission for 2 1/2 years. The doc felt that the race took away the energy needed to fight the Crohn's and it resulted in a larger flare.

I started back at the gym on Saturday to start to restretch things. Today I ran a 5K, and am really feeling it. At this point, I plan on walking both parts of the challenge, with an energy boost if needed to avoid sweepers. Considering I've done 6 halves in 15 months, I should be OK.

I am considering running the Big D Half this weekend because I really think I can PR. I don't want to try at Dark Side because I want to stop for pics and really enjoy the course.

This is exactly why I ended up signing up for the half that I did yesterday - my training was going so well that I knew I would PR, but I will never go to Disney wanting to PR because I'd much rather just take my time and enjoy the environment. Well, a "regular" PR anyway. I'll put Disney races into their own category to PR at, LOL.

Did somebody ask about training? Yeah, that's not going so well over here. I won't even say what my longest run has been but let's just say I'll probably be really slow for these races. Hoping for good courses to make it enjoyable. But I'm still looking forward to it and still have a couple weekends to at least bump up the mileage a bit.

I really think it could be any day now. Hoping by week's end we see something. And if not, by very early next week.

I'm right there with ya' about training. :headache: It hasn't been for lack of trying, but the weather. I was ecstatic when the clock turned I got the extra hour of daylight when I ran after work, but then Mother Nature and the weather decided to play games. :sad2: So I've been doing catch up mileage myself and plan do exactly as you. Just run and enjoy it! :stitch2:

If he signs up now he will still have one chance to put in a POT when registering (as long as the race was run before the POT deadline). He can't go back and edit though, since we are past the deadline. So make sure he inputs in correctly the first time.

If he has no races to use, then yes, put 2:45 as his estimate time. That should keep him out of very last corral. Then have him start at the front of his corral (get there early) and then catch up to you.

My training is just ok, but it is my husband I'm worried about. When we went camping last weekend, he hit himself in the ankle with an axe while he was chopping wood. He tried to run on Thursday and started hurting after about 1.5 miles. He's heading to the doctor today.

I haven't had a long run over 7 miles since Princess, but I still feel like I will be fine. I felt amazingly strong at Princess and have seen major improvements in my training pace. I am considering running the Big D Half this weekend because I really think I can PR. I don't want to try at Dark Side because I want to stop for pics and really enjoy the course. I really just want my husband to be back on the road with me!
Oh ouch, an axe and ankle hitting just sounds painful, I'm assuming he didn't hit the chopping part into his ankle. Maybe just a really bad bruise that will heal by then.

I'm still planning to run for time at Darkside for the half, of course that morning that could quickly change as well as throughout the race.

How's everyone's running attire coming along? Anyone dressing full out in a full suit of sorts? Mine are stacked in a pile, simple and ready to go!

Oh ouch, an axe and ankle hitting just sounds painful, I'm assuming he didn't hit the chopping part into his ankle. Maybe just a really bad bruise that will heal by then.

I'm still planning to run for time at Darkside for the half, of course that morning that could quickly change as well as throughout the race.

How's everyone's running attire coming along? Anyone dressing full out in a full suit of sorts? Mine are stacked in a pile, simple and ready to go!

Need to get going on that (though need to put some real miles in too). Actually, my wife needs to get on that (she's WAY more crafty/artsy in that sense so I put my faith in her).

Just came back from a try at catching up on that mileage Mother Nature has kept from getting to these past critical countdown months. Nice to know I can at least do a 10k without stopping (and is half of the half) @ 12 min/mile. :-)

Question about the Dark Side 5k. My 14 year old son will be running - he knows there are finisher medals for everyone, but no "place" winners (more of a fun run). Our question is, does anyone run this as a race (not stopping for pictures, etc)? He is not really into character meetings, but is just excited to run through the world showcase (his favorite part of Disney).

I run the 10k for fun (but don't stop), then I race the half marathon.

They posted on FB looking for "inspiring stories" this morning, but when I got notification they posted I was so excited and then let down when I saw it didn't have to do with any information we're waiting on! LOL!
I definitely thought the same thing and then was just disappointed. The wait is torture! I know the info will come when it comes, but I'd like to just know already so the speculation can stop! Waivers and corrals I can be a bit more patient on, but course maps would really be nice.

I'm right there with ya' about training. :headache: It hasn't been for lack of trying, but the weather. I was ecstatic when the clock turned I got the extra hour of daylight when I ran after work, but then Mother Nature and the weather decided to play games. :sad2: So I've been doing catch up mileage myself and plan do exactly as you. Just run and enjoy it! :stitch2:
Glad I'm not alone. You're probably still ahead of me though.

It actually was the sharp side, but it was pretty dull. That's why the log slipped to begin with. The doctor said no running for a couple of weeks and then try a test run before the race. I guess he will be cross training between now and then, and we will just pray for the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter