Next DVC: will anyone else wait to buy?

With each of our DVC purchases (original, plus 2 different add-ons), we bought right at the beginning, as soon as they were offered for sale. Now that I'm reading about the double-developer points, if (and when) we do another add-on at a new DVC resort, I don't think that we'll be in the vanguard again. :sad2:
While we are delighted to have AKV, it seems it would have been a better deal if we had waited a while. Does anyone else feel that we "early-birds" might have gotten the "worms", but the "Johnny-come-latelys" got extra vacations? :confused3

I am going to call my guide and make sure about all of this!! thanks!

Personally, I just hope that DVC does a much better job of marketing its next resort. AKV was the first sales kick-off under Jim Lewis, and I think it was very disorganized...at least I hope it was merely disorganized and not done intentionally for some misguided reasons.

AKV was announced in October '06. They had nearly 4 months before sales began in February to get all of their ducks in a row. And let's not forget that DVC decided when to begin sales--they could have waited a few more weeks or months if necessary.

Anyway, by February all we had was a bare-bones marketing brochure touting the Founding Members' tapestry (a deal which expired at the end of February.)

It wasn't until March that we had room floorplans, model units at SSR (which were still a WIP) and concept artwork. I know a lot of people love AKV and I'm not trying to attack their sensibilities or purchase decisions, but I think the manner in which DVC began sales was just unconscionably arrogant. Why didn't they just wait until March to begin sales when all of the info was readily available, and THEN give current members until 3/31 for the tapestry???

Now we find out that the Founding Members get a whole 16 characters for their personal message on the tapestry. Now I'm doubly glad I didn't bite since my last name alone is 11 characters!!! :lmao:

When SSR sales began they already had finalized model rooms open, full-color brochures with photos of the models (which look EXACTLY like the finished product), room floorplans and unit sizes, a resort development map and so on.

I may not hold-out 6 months waiting to see if a better offer materializes, but no matter the location I will not buy until DVC has put a reasonable amount of information into my hands.

We will only buy more points for a DVC at DLR, As there are rumored to be 2 DVCs, one at GC, with 50 units, and another in a separate location on property, with more units, we will buy as soon as available.
We have no interest in CRV, or AKV as we don't need to have an 11 month window to stay at either. We do need that 11 month window at any DLR DVC, especially until they expand to the second location at DLR.

We bought BCV when they were almost done selling it and received extra points as an incentive. We bought SSR when it was about half sold and received 2 AP's as incentive. We would like to add on at AKV but can't do it yet. The idea of our name on the tapestry was appealing, but extra points or passes would be even better. As far as I can tell, CRV exists only in the imaginations of DVC owners who want a monorail resort, but if it did become a reality it wouldn't really appeal to me. I don't really care for the theming at the CR. I'm interested in the "Double Developer" points that previous posters have mentioned - we never received anything about this. What is it?

With each of our DVC purchases (original, plus 2 different add-ons), we bought right at the beginning, as soon as they were offered for sale. Now that I'm reading about the double-developer points, if (and when) we do another add-on at a new DVC resort, I don't think that we'll be in the vanguard again. :sad2:
While we are delighted to have AKV, it seems it would have been a better deal if we had waited a while. Does anyone else feel that we "early-birds" might have gotten the "worms", but the "Johnny-come-latelys" got extra vacations? :confused3

I am a Johnny Come Lately. We bought at SSR in Jan. We bought 300 points, got 300 developer points and our UY is Oct. So we walked out with 600 and could bank all 600 by Sept. 30th of this year. YES WE COULD BANK OUR DEVELOPER POINTS. That shocked most on this board when I told them this back in Feb. Then in Oct. we get our allotted 300. SO yes I consider us the Johnny Come Latelys. LOL

Hopefully when/if they do another resort, DVC gives us something different then another tote bag. We have four of them now. Maybe the could throw in some DVC member polos, hats or jacket!

LOL Our guide gave us 3 of the totes in Jan. YES 3. I just gave one to a friend of mine who also owns DVC.

I was just there last weekend (july 21). they would never give away more stuff for free unless they were not doing well! C'mon-disney is in the business of making money. They extended the incentive of 12 months for the developer points as a way to get more sales! This is how it works. And for those who all said no pressure from the guide-thats not what happened to us. This means they are having a hard time selling. They wouldn't have to pressure you so much
if it was so easy for them. Our guide did tell us though that truly the best deal is SS with a FEb UY plus double developer points. He also said that disney is in the works for many more places to build these DVC places but that he can't tell us where except he did mention possibly HAWAII! He said it is all in the development phases now under wraps. but when ready, they will announce it. it takes like 5-7 years of planning an area he said.

And my guide did admit that for AK there probably would be more upkeep fees and hence a bit higher dues overall.

I was just there last weekend (july 21). they would never give away more stuff for free unless they were not doing well! C'mon-disney is in the business of making money. They extended the incentive of 12 months for the developer points as a way to get more sales! This is how it works. And for those who all said no pressure from the guide-thats not what happened to us. This means they are having a hard time selling. They wouldn't have to pressure you so much
if it was so easy for them. Our guide did tell us though that truly the best deal is SS with a FEb UY plus double developer points. He also said that disney is in the works for many more places to build these DVC places but that he can't tell us where except he did mention possibly HAWAII! He said it is all in the development phases now under wraps. but when ready, they will announce it. it takes like 5-7 years of planning an area he said.

And my guide did admit that for AK there probably would be more upkeep fees and hence a bit higher dues overall.

I am not sure its not doing well rather DVC is simply growing and the sales people must reach out to new folks and maybe push a little harder. Initially DVC was new and small and there was no problem getting everything sold.

I am not sure its not doing well rather DVC is simply growing and the sales people must reach out to new folks and maybe push a little harder. Initially DVC was new and small and there was no problem getting everything sold.

you kidding.

the first few years it was hard to sale. people didn't believe it would be around.

I did. but lots of other guests I talked too - were convinced that the DVC would go away. and OKW would become just another WDW resort.

they offered WDW tickets.... I haven't seem anything nearly as great since.

the competition offers money - Disney offers disney stuff.

you kidding.

the first few years it was hard to sale. people didn't believe it would be around.

I did. but lots of other guests I talked too - were convinced that the DVC would go away. and OKW would become just another WDW resort.

they offered WDW tickets.... I haven't seem anything nearly as great since.

the competition offers money - Disney offers disney stuff.

I wasnt talking the first resort or two. I wasnt around then so I have no idea. Of course as such a new thing, theres doubt and speculation. In recent years the number of people interested in DVC and the few number of resorts on site made for what I consider fairly easy sells. There was always more people looking ot egt in than there were rooms. Hence the high resale price, the waitlist at some of the resorts

At some point that swings the other way and the more reosrts the add the more it swings. I am not saying they wont sell, I just think people need a little push as in alot of sales

I have answered in the negative, we were happy with what we did, when we did it...but I've read here about people using the developers points for a cruise, now that would give me pause, and maybe make me change my mind. Of course, we're finished adding on direct from Disney, (maybe):lmao:

Bobbi:goodvibes

They extended the incentive of 12 months for the developer points as a way to get more sales! This is how it works.

I think you're reading too much into that one. From October thru early January there is virtually no availability to be had at the DVC resorts. I suspect they first began to catch some flak from new members who found they were unable to use their points. I would view that as the likely basis for the change.

DVC should be able to use its Developer's Points within the same framework as other points. The same usage, banking and borrowing terms would apply. The 7-month restriction was apparently put into place simply to ease bookkeeping on DVC. In the end it will cost DVC very little to extend the offer.

And for those who all said no pressure from the guide-thats not what happened to us. This means they are having a hard time selling. They wouldn't have to pressure you so much
if it was so easy for them.

I'm not sure that an experience with one Guide is indicative of changing philosophies. After all, they are only human.

The Polynesian "rumor" has been around for years, more as a dream than a rumor. The problem now is that we have a backlog of "actual" rumors, so there is little attention paid to wanna-be rumors like Polynesian Villas. My hope now is simply that it be built while I am still living. Since I am a DVC member, I am guaranteed to live until 2042, right?

This bit about the 16 characters reminds me of "Sirens of Titan" (Kurt Vonnegut). In this sci-fi spoof an incredibly important message is to be delivered clear across the galaxy. When everything goes wrong and it can't be delivered as intended, it is opened and found to be a single dot, which means "greetings". I think that's what I would use -- a dot and 15 blanks.

Personally, I just hope that DVC does a much better job of marketing its next resort. AKV was the first sales kick-off under Jim Lewis, and I think it was very disorganized...at least I hope it was merely disorganized and not done intentionally for some misguided reasons.

AKV was announced in October '06. They had nearly 4 months before sales began in February to get all of their ducks in a row. And let's not forget that DVC decided when to begin sales--they could have waited a few more weeks or months if necessary.

Anyway, by February all we had was a bare-bones marketing brochure touting the Founding Members' tapestry (a deal which expired at the end of February.)

I agree. The information existing members had on which to choose to buy in was paltry, at best. It was made up of mostly rumor (which, in the end, did turn out ot have some substance) and what (seemingly little) info the guides had. I don't think that was exactly "fair" of Disney....

It wasn't until March that we had room floorplans, model units at SSR (which were still a WIP) and concept artwork. I know a lot of people love AKV and I'm not trying to attack their sensibilities or purchase decisions, but I think the manner in which DVC began sales was just unconscionably arrogant. Why didn't they just wait until March to begin sales when all of the info was readily available, and THEN give current members until 3/31 for the tapestry???

Exactly true. The information all EXPLODED onto the scene pretty much in the days leading up to, and really the day of, AKV going on sale to the general public. There was some stuff that "leaked" a bit early, because it had been put up on Disney's DVC site a little early (and was taken down)...but really, not much.

When SSR sales began they already had finalized model rooms open, full-color brochures with photos of the models (which look EXACTLY like the finished product), room floorplans and unit sizes, a resort development map and so on.

Question for the group: Did DVC do a presale for members only on SSR? Or did they just get a "better deal" when points went on sale to everyone? I'm just wondering....

Well because you get double points for one year like you had said. In my case I had to use them in 7 months. Versus getting $8.00 per point off for 56 years I think that is what it is. You do not get double points every use year. One time only. I would rather save the 8.00 per point for 56 years(again if that is right) I beleive 56 years. then get it for one time and pay more money for each point every year.

I'm not sure what you mean by any of this:confused3 . Lets give an example of what really happens:

You buy 200 points at AKV, you can either take an $8 per point discount from your purchase price ($8 times 200 = $1,600 total one time discount) or you can take double developer's points (2 times 200 points = 400 points to use for vacations during the next 7 or 12 months), either of which is in addition to the regular benefits and maintenance costs of a 200 point membership for the duration of your ownership (50 years) Neither of these options carries over as a yearly discount or perk.

However, there is a COST to that $2,000 worth of points. You have to go USE them which means airfare or gas, food, etc..... It's not like Disney paid the cost of your vacation.

It's a win win for them. They get you to spend MORE money on the points you are buying and MORE money on the points you use. (If you can actually use them. I wonder how many will go "to waste" on this program)

Not following... By this logic, no one should buy ANY DVC ownership... How can it possibly be bad to get more product?

Hypothetical 100 point AKV purchase w/discount =$9600. W/ Dev Pts =$10400 plus 200 Dev Pts. Therefore what you are doing is "buying" 200 points with 12 month expiration and no home resort advantage for $800, or essentially paying maintenance fees of $4 per point with no capital buy in.

The "value" depends on what you can use. If you can't travel within the next 12 months, take the discount. If you can, it certainly would be more cost-effective to take the DevPts at what amounts to $4 per point rather than renting them from someone with excess inventory at $10-$12 per point. In all reality, this is what you are doing, just renting those points from DVD.

I think that's what I would use -- a dot and 15 blanks.

Either that or 16 dots and pretend it says "Greetings" in 16 different languages! :lmao:

To get back on topic, though . . . I agree with an earlier observations that they probably extended everything because there were no rooms available in the alloted time for people to use their points. It is not very good to give points out that cannot be used. People feel robbed that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter