News Round Up 2016

I just want to throw shoes and rotten tomatoes at Bob Chapek. Boo hiss.
I will never become accustomed to alcohol in the parks.

I've played my share of beer pong, and still enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, but I do not like alcohol being sold at Disney parks. EPCOT is not a place for my kids after dark, with all the drunk frat boys acting stupid, and I loathed explaining to my kids what the girl in the too short dress at Universal meant when she said, "And I'm not saying this just because I'm drunk, but I want him to ____me." I hope they limit it to only inside restaurants, no beer kiosks or walking around beverages.

Don't go then.

I cringe every time I see/read Ample Hills. The name just makes me feel icky. Is that an intentional double entendre? Or is it just me? I can't imagine it's accidental. Really dislike that tone and the culture it attracts/condones/supports. Seems to be showing up more these days.

Most cultures had similar names for mountains, and volcanoes especially were referred to as "breasts of the Earth" and Lava was some variation of "Earth's milk." I get that.
The etymology of naming geological features does not mean it's a good thing to use potentially risque references when naming family oriented businesses. I think it makes them less "family oriented." Even if my kids don't understand the reference now, creating memories there and then having the double meaning dawn on them later in life...I'd rather not have that as part of our family memories. Clearly I'm in the minority, and I'm okay with that. I usually am! lol

ALL that being said...apparently it's me and my dirty mind!! :laughing:

From the Ample Hills Cremary website:

"We named Ample Hills after Walt Whitman's poem Crossing Brooklyn Ferry, which speaks of the connectedness of people across time and space...

What is it, then, between us?

What is the count of the scores or hundreds of years between us?

Whatever it is, it avails not-Distance avails not and place avails not. I too lived-Brooklyn of Ample Hills, was mine..."

I will happily visit a place inspired by a different Walt and will torture my children with his poetry on the way!:rotfl2:

It never crossed my mind that Ample Hills would be a double entendre. Nevertheless, we are here at WDW now and my mom was surprised by how "adult" some of the jokes in the Country Bear Jamboree are. I'm not saying you shouldn't protect your children from mature content but I think viewing "Ample Hills" as any kind of "culture" that's not family oriented is borrowing trouble.

Disney and More posted this picture of Shanghai's castle show, which has been testing these days. It looks like it will be very similar to the night time shows at Disneyland Paris.

13062305_1075026152541188_1454003603581724442_n.jpg

Disney and More posted this picture of Shanghai's castle show, which has been testing these days. It looks like it will be very similar to the night time shows at Disneyland Paris.

13062305_1075026152541188_1454003603581724442_n.jpg
I'm guessing it will be since they can't use a lot of pyro there. We're inching ever closer to that opening date.

I cringe every time I see/read Ample Hills. The name just makes me feel icky. Is that an intentional double entendre? Or is it just me? I can't imagine it's accidental. Really dislike that tone and the culture it attracts/condones/supports. Seems to be showing up more these days.

I thought the same thing, but also realize it is not Disney's choice of name. It is not so lewd as to make most people notice. However, every time I walk by it, I will have to state to whomever will listen, "you know, I really like Ample hills" To which perhaps someone will say, "oh, have you tried their ice cream?" And I can respond "Ice cream?"

It never crossed my mind that Ample Hills would be a double entendre. Nevertheless, we are here at WDW now and my mom was surprised by how "adult" some of the jokes in the Country Bear Jamboree are. I'm not saying you shouldn't protect your children from mature content but I think viewing "Ample Hills" as any kind of "culture" that's not family oriented is borrowing trouble.

Well, the Country Bear Jamboree was created a long time ago and I suspect if it was made new today the jokes/lines would be a little different - though Disney has always wanted a park for the entire family and even at the Frozen Sing Along there are lines aimed at going over the heads of the younlings

Today in Disney History

Disney's Hollywood Studios opens as Disney's MGM studios in 1989.
Just returned from a 7 day on property stay, and I have to say that I was impressed with how HS has handled the Star Wars stuff. We actually spent much more time in the park than we had originally planned: watching the Captain Phasma march/show; watching the patrolling storm troopers harass the "citizens"; visiting the launch bay (even got photos with Chewie!). It made up for the limited open attractions.

We did attend the fireworks dessert party (got our Chewie mugs) which had some pretty good desserts, but many of the same old tired cupcakes, etc. Standing tables, and not-so-great beverages. I think if I was going to be in the park for the fireworks again, I'd just sit on the ground along with the hundreds of others, and enjoy the show without the party. It was fun though.

Imagine if both Captain America and Jungle Book surpass the 1 billion mark. With Zootopia, Captain America, Jungle Book, Alice (though I doubt it will be as big as the first one) and Finding Dory alone, 5 billion at the box office by summer doesn't seem impossible.

I get that the studios and parks and resorts are completely separate divisions, but can't they use the studios' spare change to help Shanghai out?

Imagine if both Captain America and Jungle Book surpass the 1 billion mark. With Zootopia, Captain America, Jungle Book, Alice (though I doubt it will be as big as the first one) and Finding Dory alone, 5 billion at the box office by summer doesn't seem impossible.

I get that the studios and parks and resorts are completely separate divisions, but can't they use the studios' spare change to help Shanghai out?
We can only hope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter