More results of cutbacks at WDW

Originally posted by DVC-Landbaron
And that is exactly what happens. When I am there, I am very happy, very vacation-like and very... well... DISNEY!!!

But when I get home I remember all these little things and ask - Why? And the answers lead me to the philosophy of the company and where current management has taken it.

AND THAT'S WHEN I GET MAD!!! :mad:

Hahaha! Baron, I guess I really am riding shotgun with you! That's exactly my behavior in regards to Walt Disney World!

How about the ridiculous, shortsighted, profit motivated (or at least cost savings) plan regarding CBR, the change in hours, elimination of EE, the capricious and almost random cancellation of various E-ticket nights, the utter lack of imaginative forms of transportation, the reduction of “magical” air conditioning, the early closings of specific rides and attractions, the elimination of attractions with no replacements, and even those damned vacuum cleaners

Ok, sir Baron - no need for CAPS, bold, exclamation !!! and a flaming head :mad: ;). Its just that if there is one thing in this laundry list that I feel doesn't belong it is the fact that Disney turned the thermostat from 78 to 80.

1. Safety
2. Courtesy
3. Efficiency
4. Show

I may have missed it, but where does AC fit in here? Perhaps removing the cool from Ice Staion Cool, or cold air from the Matterhorn if it is part of the Show, but AC in a store? If there no cost saving measure that can be instituted that you feel doesn't violate Walts ideals? I guess my only point is that sometimes we obsess over certain things :p .

BTW - I did not know that 78 represents "magical" air and 80 represents "Ei$ner" air. You learn something new every day ;).

I'll give you MHB, most of the list above, and many other things - but I don't believe AC has anything to do with 'getting it'.

Alright then, let's move the A/C to 81.

Problem yet? No?

How about 82?

83?

88?

OFF!?!?

Pick a setting...

Unless moving it up is making it more Magical for more people than its irritating, its hard to defend the move...

Originally posted by DisneyKidds

1. Safety
2. Courtesy
3. Efficiency
4. Show

I may have missed it, but where does AC fit in here

#2-Courtesy

I believe if you had "GUESTS" in your home who were uncomfortable in the heat and you kept the temperature hotter than it had to be with your air-conditioning to save yourself money at the expense of their discomfort-- you would be less than courteous. If you would not do that to your "GUESTS," Disney should not do it to theirs.

1. Safety
2. Courtesy
3. Efficiency
4. Show

I may have missed it, but where does AC fit in here?

I have no idea what temp they used to set the thermostat, nor what temp it is now set. However, the change in the AC definately detracts from #4. I shouldn't be thinking while sitting in the Muppets 4D, "it is hot in here, what happened to the a/c,"

I love WDW because of the little things that you don't get anywhere else. The a/c may be a little thing, but when added to all of the other little things they have cut in recent years it causes me to question if I should spend that much money on a vacation to WDW.

#2-Courtesy

Can you say S-T-R-E-T-C-H?

Unless moving it up is making it more Magical for more people than its irritating, its hard to defend the move...

I bet there are 1,000x the people who do not have their WDW vacation effected by the AC than there are those who obsess over Disney stealing their "magical air". By this logic Disney will never be able to institute any savings measures for any reason - even if it has nothing to do with the Show.

Matt, have you actually fessed up to riding shotgun? What a 'typical' response. Yes - Disney is testing us and will continue to creep the thermostat up until they see bookings decline as a result - but their ultimate hope is that we won't notice or care and they can eliminate the AC all together :rolleyes:. Did Disney have anything to do with JFK?

I bet there are 1,000x the people who do not have their WDW vacation effected by the AC than there are those who obsess over Disney stealing their "magical air". By this logic Disney will never be able to institute any savings measures for any reason - even if it has nothing to do with the Show.

I haven't chimed in on the AC issue, but I do have a little something to say here, and speak only for myself.

When you build a theme park in Florida where temperatures are over 90 degrees in the summer, and the humidity is astronomical, you absolutely MUST factor in air conditioning as a major expense. If cost cutting factors are needed, then turning down the air conditioner should be the LAST ditch effort to cut costs. The air conditioning has absolutely nothing to do with magic. It has to do with comfort. And an uncomfortable guest is an unhappy guest. And an unhappy guest is one who LEAVES, and does not spend money!

i have fond memories of jumping into the shops over the last 20 or so years that i can remeber and feeling that really COOOOL air and if i go back in two weeks and its not as cool ( i will be able to tell) then heck yeah that detracts from my vaca experience. once again ill log something else that disney used to be "cool"

ive been going since about 1980 every year till present and its the little things lol

im with raidermatt whens the problem 84? or when they finally just shut it off and use fans or shut them off as a motive to sell "new" DISNEY FANS TO KEEP YOU COOL IN THIS HOTT WEATHER

What a 'typical' response. Yes - Disney is testing us and will continue to creep the thermostat up until they see bookings decline as a result - but their ultimate hope is that we won't notice or care and they can eliminate the AC all together . Did Disney have anything to do with JFK?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I did not mean that Disney was going to bump it up a degree every year (though it's possible...).

I was pointing out that if bumping the air up 3 or 4 degrees doesn't mean anything to you, maybe bumping it up 6 or 7 would.

I bet there are 1,000x the people who do not have their WDW vacation effected by the AC than there are those who obsess over Disney stealing their "magical air".

Are you sure its that low? That's .1%. Maybe if the change was only one degree.

Even so, MK's annual attendance is about 15 million. That means 15000 attendees are "obsessed". How many others are not obsessed, but are simply less comfortable than they would have otherwise been? Every negative tick mark on an individual's personal vacation ledger makes them less likely to come back and spend money.

The A/C change may not be enough to drive thousands of guests away, but it does make thousands of guests more likely to stay away. Maybe its the combination of less hours and A/C that does it. Maybe it takes A/C, hours, EE, and Mickey Butter....

From the guest experience point of view, its a no-brainer. Cutting A/C helps nobody, and hurts at least some guests.

From an efficiency point of view (#4 on the priority list), if you're going to cut it in Florida, you'd better be VERY sure you aren't losing very many guests as a result.

Another side-note... do you think they checked into the effect the higher humidity has on the interiors of the buildings? Would be a hidden cost, easy to miss when thinking short term savings...

well the way ive ben feeling is

nothing to go where 20000 leaugues was ok i can live

no mickey butter ok i can lve

no EE well i dont like waking up early

6pm closing? well these are troubled times.

what will it be next year and what will be that final straw!!!!!

ont thing that kills me is when people say well i just started going so i never had that experince-so they basically dont care but realize how much even cooler the parks were once. "who wants to be in the parks at midnight?" ME!!!!!!!

#2-Courtesy

Can you say S-T-R-E-T-C-H?

the meaning of the word courtesy-
"consideration, cooperation, and generosity in providing "

Cutting a/c expenses to save money is the opposite of that... therefore violates rule #2.
I repeat my question- how would you describe treating guests in you home the same way? That is not a stretch at all... Disney has made a point of calling their customers "guests" for a reason...you treat guests courteously, you care deeply about making them comfortable and happy. This is all part of the high standard for which the name Disney became famous in business. They tout the "Disney service." Actually, whether it is being the host in your own home or a business in the hospitality industry, caring about guests' comfort is best described as courtesy. It is also good business.

1. Safety
2. Courtesy
3. Efficiency
4. Show

I may have missed it, but where does AC fit in here?
OK!! WHOA!!!! What we’ve got here is a failure to communicate!!! And We gotta fix it!!! PRONTO!!!! You picked up the wrong quote!! I was giving an example of how Ei$ner has changed the order!! The real order, and the one that is currently being taight at Traditions is:

1. Safety
2. Courtesy
3. SHOW
4. Efficiency

Notice the difference!!!??

Lowering the temperature fits within “SHOW” and “Courtesy”. Raising the temperature fits within “Efficiency”. Which would be fine, we all want Disney to save a few pennies when it can. EXCEPT when it goes against one of the previous. And raising the temperature interferes with both the SHOW and Courtesy. SO YOU DON’T DO IT!!!! PERIOD!!!

It’s the same thing regarding the vacuum cleaners. It will certainly cost a pretty penny keeping those employees hanging around until the last guest leaves or worse, putting on an entire extra shift!!! But that’s the ballgame in Disney!! Just hold up the plan to the big four and see if vacuum cleaners should be running for several hours after closing!!

Same thing. Same BAD SHOW!!!

It's the same thing regarding the vacum cleaners.
Oh, I don't know...I'll bet there are a lot people in the vacum cleaner business who get a tingly, warm, fuzzy feeling everytime they see the 'Azteck 4251 Sucking Bandit' rolled out onto Mainstreet!;)
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter