September vs. October Treasure, how to decide?

Raya

DIS Veteran
Our family vacation is (once again) back to a 2025 HotHS cruise on the Treasure. Thanks for bearing with me while we constantly flip flop between Treasure and Destiny! In an effort to get things finalized ( 🤞 ) I'd like to book for September 2025, but some family members are holding out for October 2025 (itineraries have not yet been released).

They argue that October has less of a chance at hurricanes, which doesn't seem really true, and if it is true isn't much of a difference these days. Their next argument is the chance for special Halloween excursion, but I can't see an October HotHS cruise having those but a September one doesn't. Price-wise the trip is $4500 in mid Sept but $4850 at the end of Sept. which makes me think October will be even higher. We are planning to do one Disney day and an overnight at a Disney resort before the cruise - which is another argument for September as we're more likely to get a discounted hotel rate. What else is there to worry about? Will cruise crowds be higher in October?

Are there any other reasons to choose October (specifically the week of the Monday holiday) instead of mid or late September?

Yeah mid October will probably be more expensive because some parts of the country have a "fall break" around Columbus Day.

I would roll with it for mid to late September.

A week with a day (or days) when many kids are out of school will have more kids onboard than a week without a holiday.

Hurricane season runs June through November. The risk in late September or mid-October is similar.

As temperatures in the US drop, cruise prices tend to increase, so an October cruise may well be more expensive than a September cruise.

To me, the main reason to go with September is that you can book now and not deal with large numbers of people booking as soon as October sailings are released for booking. If you book now but find for some reason that the October cruises are less expensive, have special events you want, or otherwise more appealing, it’s easy to change your booking.

Statistically, yes, a hurricane would occur in September more often than October.

And I would still pick September over October. It’s money (all aspects of travel) and reduced number of school-age kids.

But it is still hot.

But we don’t need HOTHS - and would go the first week of September.

Ultimately, the ideal week for us is the in the first two weeks of December. Another shoulder (low) season. The heat and humidity are reduced, but it is still warm (sometimes hot). And it is Very Merrytime for Disney.

(Jersey Week is first week in November - well known for crowding at WDW. It’s over before Veteran’s Day in 2024).

If you are interested in Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom, before or after your cruise, here are the dates for 2024. Should be similar next year.

• August – 9, 13, 16, 20, 23, 27 and 30
  • September – 2, 6, 8, 10, 13, 15, 17, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27 and 29
  • October – 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 18, 20, 21, 24, 25, 27, 29 and 31
Tickets are usually less expensive the farther the date is from Oct 31. Prices will range from $119-199 pp for 2024; resort guests can already book. Public booking begins May 15 - I would expect similar for 2025.

The price for the Treasure will most likely continue to rise since the dates were released. If there’s a week (and cabin) in September you like, book it (assuming not non-refundable Concierge). When October dates are available, see if you can get a better deal if you want.

Last edited:
I went on the Wish in early October 2022 and the whole thing was almost derailed by a hurricane. I've also had trips impacted by hurricanes in August and tropical storms in November. You just can't game hurricane season - pick the dates that work for you, seriously consider purchasing travel insurance and hope for the best. Our October Wish cruise was PACKED. I would definitely consider booking in September for the reasons PP mention.

For years I've booked scuba diving trips in Cozumel in Sept. for this exact reason. It's hot and you are playing Russian Roulette with hurricanes, but it's way cheaper. We've also vacationed in WDW a ton in Sept. and we trade the heat and threat of tropical weather for lower prices and lower crowds. We also went to Universal one year in Oct. not realizing our trip would include Columbus day weekend and like the above poster stated it got really busy because of that fall break. All that being said, in 20 years I've never had a hurricane disrupt our trips. If it did happen it would just be bad luck of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter