More results of cutbacks at WDW

I think it is easier to just copy it here....

Steve also writes on the topic of cutbacks at WDW: Hi Brian, just to respond to the ongoing discussion about upkeep and cutbacks at WDW. We just got back from two weeks at WDW. We spent six nights at the Wilderness Lodge (our first and last time there), and eight nights at Old Key West Resort (our home resort). We have been doing a two week trip in the summer every year for over ten years, and this was overall, the worst experience we have had.Steve also writes on the topic of cutbacks at WDW: Hi Brian, just to respond to the ongoing discussion about upkeep and cutbacks at WDW. We just got back from two weeks at WDW. We spent six nights at the Wilderness Lodge (our first and last time there), and eight nights at Old Key West Resort (our home resort). We have been doing a two week trip in the summer every year for over ten years, and this was overall, the worst experience we have had.

The biggest complaints from our group of six was that all the thermostats on the property are turned up. We used to be able to go into any shop, restaurant, or ride to cool off from the intense summer heat. Many of the shops and restaurants, especially World Showcase, were not much cooler than the humid outdoors. Some felt like they had no air conditioning at all! I first noticed this trend last year, but this year seemed even worse. How short sighted is it not to keep a store air conditioned in the summer! We definitely spent less time in the shops this year (and as a result spent less money). Canada, Germany, and Italy were the worst.

Another complaint was that so many of the stores now offer the same merchandise as everywhere else. This is especially noticeable in the resort shops (with the exception of Animal Kingdom Lodge). Even the World of Disney store carries the same things you can find everywhere else. We couldn't even find a decent variety of postcards like we have in the past. We also felt that many of the World Showcase shops had less of the unique merchandise that they have had in the past. We also noticed a few more closed shops (the carpet store in Morocco, and the wine shop in France.) The shop at American Adventure used to have unique things as well and now is mainly a T-shirt shop. I was disappointed to see much of the flavor of World Showcase diluted by making the shops carry less unique items. It's not like there are a lot of rides there to keep you occupied. It is supposed to be a shopping and dining park, but now with no air conditioning and less interesting shops, why bother?

Another problem we had was transportation. Wilderness Lodge was a joke. Every bus had to also service the campground. We often were shoved on a bus with people paying $40 a night, while some of us were paying a few hundred. I don't mean this as negative to the campers (I also enjoy camping), but a deluxe hotel as remote as Wilderness Lodge should not have to go out of their way to a campground to get to the parks. Some buses go to the Pioneer Hall area, while other buses go to the main campground bus stop near the Bonnet Creek Golf Club.

Old Key West Resort buses were better, definitely not as crowded, but we often had 30 minute waits for a bus. Never have had that experience before during all of our trips to Old Key West Resort.

Other cutbacks we noticed were less people staffing attractions (Country Bears, Circle of Life, Food Rocks, etc. all used to have someone inside the auditorium with you, giving directions. Now you hear a voice over the loudspeaker). No big deal, but definitely a cutback in customer relations.

Bathroom maintenance was hit and miss. Some were spotless as in the past, others were filthy. Urine splatters around urinals, and overflowing trash cans used to be unheard of at WDW. We had two rooms at the Wilderness Lodge and both rooms had battered furniture that needed refinishing. We also noticed battered doors in the lobby rest room and the largest cobwebs I have ever seen on the ceiling rafters. All these things are normal wear and tear, but used to be taken care of sooner.

Last, but not least, is the replacement of butter with "butterine" and margarine. How penny pinching is that? We asked for butter instead of margarine or "butterine" and were told there wasn't any. When we explained how we don't eat margarine, we were told that it was better for us and that is why Disney replaced butter with "butterine"! Not only don't I need Disney telling me what is healthy, but they seem to forget that they have served butter for 30 years. Also, butter is a natural fat, while margarine is chemically altered oil. The main reason we don't use margarine is due to allergies. Fortunately, some of the table service places still serve butter, but not all of them.

We had a good trip, but it was definitely not the same level of service we are used to at WDW. We all had the feeling of being nickeled and dimed by Disney. I am writing a similar letter to Disney and enclosing a few nickels and dimes to make that point.

Thanks for letting me share, Brian. I apologize for being so long winded.

We stayed at ASMo in January, POR in late May. And even to us the cutbacks were very apparent. (First time we ever had a monorail breakdown too. Well ours didn't -- but we had to wait a half hour for the next one to appear to take those guests! Which made most on the monorail we were on miss Illuminations.)
The POR bus service was Terrible. I could chaulk it up to bad timing on our part. But I can't imagine we timed it bad all week long.
We went to the TTC to get a bus to the resort, as we did in January. That service was no longer offered. The TTC bus only would take us back to a park! :mad:
No fireworks every night. This was even Memorial Day week, and MK was packed with guests the day after Mem Day and the Friday after.
And even with the packed MK, that taco place across from Pirates was closed. :rolleyes:
Not that I was dying to eat there. But it made Pecos Bills and absolute madhouse.
We ended up leaving MK. This May trip made us very thankful for our January trips.
I too noticed bathrooms weren't as clean. But even the public restrooms were far cleaner than the room bathroom we had at POR. Glad so many others like that resort. Then I have a better chance at ASMo, where I have had the best luck of any WDW resort! :)
DH and I both said that had May been our first WDW trip, we certainly would not be in a hurry to return.

...the cutbacks with air-conditioning. During my late May-early June trip, I, too, noticed the higher-than-normal temperatures in shops, restaurants, and attractions. Talk about a sure-fire way to turn guests off! I've come to expect essentially no air-conditioning in DAK, but in the other parks, I could always count on nice respites from the heat.

Joe
***MAKING MEMORIES***

I am glad someone else noticed the air conditioning. My wife thought I was crazy in May when I complained about it!!

I gotta go with the Scoop man on this one...

This is one person's account, and the anecdotal nature of Brian Bennett's columns is the main reason I rarely read his stuff.

We were there 5/25 through 6/8, and didn't notice any problems with the air conditioning. It didn't stand out to us as being any different than in Sept 2000. So that's the opinion of 6 other people for whatever that's worth (would be 7, but our 3-year old didn't take adequate notes on his first trip...).

I do think butter should be an option...

I have no idea how often Disney cleans its bathrooms, and how that compares to past years. However, I do know that it would have to be every 15 minutes or so if they are going to keep Men's bathrooms "sparkling". There seems to be a lot of people who feel manners have slipped in our society, and when it comes to bathrooms use, I have to agree. For whatever reason, many people find urinating on floors and walls fun. Flushing seems to have become an optional activity.

High use public bathrooms get very nasty, VERY quick.

I'm not saying there haven't been cuts, I just don't see a need to grasp at straws when there are so many other clearly legitimate cuts to focus on.

We were there 5/25 through 6/8, and didn't notice any problems with the air conditioning. It didn't stand out to us as being any different than in Sept 2000.
Matt!!! I thought you only agreed with me?!?!? ;)

Anyway, You really have to go back some to understand the A/C problem. I wish we could still retrieve posts from two different sites ago, because one of my favorites was the post I made about the air conditioning specifically in Mexico and Splash mountain, but in WDW in general. At that time I pasted a response from another board by a maintenance CM (AV like, but lower on the food chain) and he let us in on a little secret, newly installed by your friend and mine… That’s right… Let’s give a warm welcome to….PAAAAAAUUUULLLLL Pre$$ler!!!

Engineering was told raise the ambient temperature within ALL buildings and to cut the A/C at night. No big deal, right? WRONG!!! As the engineer described, quite eloquently, it took almost the entire day to adequately lower the temperature in most large buildings. And by not maintaining a cooler temperature, humidity levels were inherently high, thus giving the guest a further “feeling” of NOT being cool enough. This was exactly what the three CMs told us when we complained about the high temperatures we experienced in Mexico. And it was really kind of sad listening to them. They kept looking over their shoulders as they told us (all the while imploring that we complain). It looked like a bad spy movie!!!

Anyway, he went on to explain that the reasoning behind it was that when it’s 90 outside, with extremely high humidity, 80 feels GREAT!!! At first. Until you live it for a few minutes and you realize that it ain’t that so cool after all.

I have no idea how often Disney cleans its bathrooms, and how that compares to past years.
Look over my “State of the Parks Address”. It is almost word for word. And really one of my only maintenance complaints. It was really hit or miss, but the misses were REALLY BAD!!!
I'm not saying there haven't been cuts, I just don't see a need to grasp at straws when there are so many other clearly legitimate cuts to focus on.
Funny. I think those two issue are extremely crucial to the conversation and one of those areas where a “feeling” is the only quantifiable measure there is. Easily discounted. Easy for management to hide the cuts. But TRUE nonetheless!!

Funny. I think those two issue are extremely crucial to the conversation and one of those areas where a “feeling” is the only quantifiable measure there is. Easily discounted. Easy for management to hide the cuts. But TRUE nonetheless!!

Points taken.

I wasn't aware that CMs had admitted to the practice.

I guess my main problem with posts/reports like the one that started this thread is comments like this:

Some felt like they had no air conditioning at all! I first noticed this trend last year, but this year seemed even worse. How short sighted is it not to keep a store air conditioned in the summer! We definitely spent less time in the shops this year (and as a result spent less money).

This doesn't seem to jive with your comments, timing wise, but maybe this guy just didn't notice it before. Or PERHAPS, the decrease in A/C has continued to change gradually. I can only say that as far as the last couple of years go, we didn't feel it.

But beyond this, its clear the author is exaggerating the truth in order to make a point that Disney lost his money.

The buildings may not be the optimal temperature anymore, but they sure as heck aren't 90+ degrees either. But the author had to make that claim in order to legitimize his logic about not spending time in stores due to the heat. Even in your example, 80 is a lot more comfortable than 90.

That's not to say 80 isn't a problem. However, don't "embellish" the truth in order to make a point. For those of us who can see through this, it costs the author credibility.

So I should have been more specific in my dismissal of anecdotal information. Its just that I have to be able to trust the source in order for me to give the comments weight.

When there is only one set of comments from the source, like in this case, that's all I have to go on, and I simply can't trust this particular author.

When it comes to your comments, Baron, I generally trust their sincerity and accuracy. We don't always agree about whether a specific "thing" is bad or good, but I haven't known you to stretch the truth in order to convince anyone of your point. So, if you say something "feels" different, I can trust that to you, it truly does, and by the same amount that you say it does.

With regard to the bathrooms, I trust that the condition is not as consistent as in year's past. My only real point here is that if it took 100 hours per day to keep the bathrooms consistently clean 20 years ago, it probably would take more like 150 or 200 today.

That's not to say Disney shouldn't make this change, only that this maybe a little different than raising the thermostats, even though the bottom line remains the same...less clean bathrooms.

When it comes to your comments, Baron, I generally trust their sincerity and accuracy. [/quote]Thank you!!! I do try to be as honest as possible. But even I am given to hyperbole once in a while if it’s an easy target. But I really do assure, this time I AM NOT!!!
We don't always agree about whether a specific "thing" is bad or good,
Yes we do!!! Remember, you’re riding shotgun!!! You just don’t know it yet!!! ;)
My only real point here is that if it took 100 hours per day to keep the bathrooms consistently clean 20 years ago, it probably would take more like 150 or 200 today.
WHY!?!?!

You sound like the old man that complained and complained about the younger generation having no respect for their elders. How the mistreated and abused their fellow man. How they had no regard for higher education!!! He predicted that on their present course the human race wouldn’t last another generation or so!!

That man was Plato!!! Talking about Aristotle’s generation!!!! It takes the same time to clean a bathroom today as it did ‘back in the day’!!

And, when I talked about it being easy for Disney to ‘hide’ this type of cut-back I meant exactly what your assessment said, but I don’t place the blame on the times.

Suppose you are exactly correct. It takes 100 hours to keep the bathrooms clean. (and now the important bit) With 50 employees!!

Now suppose you cut that work force by 10%. You now have 40 employees, doing the exact same job as before, taking those same 100 hours to clean the bathrooms. But now it takes longer for the cycle to turn. The bathrooms, by and large, are still clean. But not as often as before!!! Kind of like bumping (over the years) the temperature from 74 to 78 degrees!! That blast of cold air still feels great, until you hang around for a minute or two and realize you’re still sweating!!! Just not as much!!!

I have to agree with the comments about the air-conditioning.

Let me preface this by saying I am a Florida semi-native -- been here for 30 years this month.

While we were at WDW last week, my friend and I both commented about missing that "Arctic Freeze" feeling when you entered the stores and attractions. I'm glad to see that I'm not completely losing my mind!

Lisa:cool:

During a recent visit in June I noticed that the food area in Port Orleans/FQ no longer had real cream only 'creamers'. I asked for real cream and was told it's no longer provided. Well, I don't like 'edible oil' in my coffee...so I asked for milk. I was told well, we have milk...but can't give it to you!!! I asked another staff member and was told the same thing! I find this really tacky and right 'up' there with bargain basement hotels found on International Drive.
I have another New Years Eve experience too. I won't bore you with all the details..but after spending last NYE at MGM....we were crammed....I mean crammed....onto a bus destined for our resort (Contemporary) which was shared with people heading to the TTC.There was a traffic snarl up in the parking lot complicated with volume of traffic and lane pylons having been 'moved'. The bus driver kept insisting we let more and more people on until there were people even standing on the steps.A major no-no!
We moved no-where. In 45 minutes approximately 5 bus lengths.The heat inside the vehicle was oppressive to say the least with heating blasting (Driver couldn't turn it down and a passenger hurt his hand trying to pry open a stiff ceiling vent.)Babies were crying and I swear heat exhaustion was setting in to most on the bus. Anyway (Did I say I would keep this short??)my husband..had to be mine...passed out. Now, he's 6'4" and approx 230 lbs..so that was a lot of body hitting (or trying to....no floor space!) the deck!! Well, suddenly after everyone screaming for help..(Iwasn't close to him..he was further back) the bus driver said despite it being "against procedure" she would pull over a bit and open the doors to allow air flow inside. Well, this same driver who had been radioing endlessly for help...suddenly asked and got a 'team' of disney people to remove all passengers from bus and transferred to another (as someone pointed out later...they were witnesses?) while we waited for paramedics.Anyway, Disney questioned me relentlessly with regard to previous health conditions (none) and we spent 2 days in Celebration Hospital undergoing endless tests...all of which resulted in negative findings.Thank god..the ultimate diagnosis..was heat prostation? (sp)
Of course, we foolishly had no travel insurance (Canadian..oops) but that's another story.Not one person called for two days to see if my husband was allright.Definetly not much customer service apparant there!! Happy New Years to us.....it was not a fun time and all because of a overheated..overloaded bus.Disney really let us down that night.
:(

My family is just one single drop in the bucket moneywise to Disney but we are boycotting any future visit to any American Disney park (to make up for the money I have lost on DIS stock).
It would be in the better interests of the DisCo to get someone new as a CEO, time for some new blood and leadership. Just my two cents worth.

I have to chime in here.

All of these things that people are mentioning are exactly the reasons that I cancelled my reservations. If I want butter, I should be able to get butter. If I want cream for my coffee, or even milk, I should be able to get it. It really bothers me that Disney has to have such a class distinction within their resorts.

Fpr value rack rates, I can stay off-property, or at an on-property, non-Disney owned hotel that provide the same amenities as the deluxes.

Not to mention that I am paying the same admission price as those who go in the summer. I am only able to go in the off-season, which means I get the 6:00 MK hours. I can understand that it costs money to keep the parks open late without enough of a demand (I find it hard to believe there's no demand, but that's another thread) but there's not a single E-Ride Night. SO, for the same amount of money, I'm getting cheated out of one of the best parts of the Magic Kingdom? I don't care if I can do the same amount of rides and shows. If everybody was about rides and attractions, there wouldn't be people that are of the opinion that Animal Kingdom is a full day park. Some people love to just FEEL the ambience, and see the magic, and dammit there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that!!!

So, I voted with my wallet. I also wrote them an E-Mail to let them know WHY I did it.

SnackyStacky
I should be able to get it. It really bothers me that Disney has to have such a class distinction within their resorts.
WOW!!! It’s too bad you’re in car four (or at least it sounds that way)!! Cause you seem to be one of the very few who understands just what the “Ei$ner Caste System of Resorts” really is!!!

Keep posting, my friend!! I may need your help one day explaining it to Mr. Kidds!! ;)

"It isn't the heat, it is the humidity."

Air conditioning not only cools the air, it also makes it less humid. If the air is humid enough, all air conditioners "wring" water out of the air and drip it onto the ground under the air conditioner itself (or pipe the water down a drain).

All air has some water in the form of water vapor mixed with it. When air is cooled, its relative humidity increases. If the relative humidity wants to go above 100% water will condense onto surfaces such as inside the air ducts, and drip.

The lower the temperature the air is brought to inside the air conditioner, the more water will be wrung out. So by setting the air conditioner to a higher temperature, more moisture will remain in the conditioned air and also the room atmosphere will be more humid and take longer to evaporate sweat off of the people inside.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

We often were shoved on a bus with people paying $40 a night, while some of us were paying a few hundred. I don't mean this as negative to the campers (I also enjoy camping), but a deluxe hotel as remote as Wilderness Lodge should not have to go out of their way to a campground to get to the parks.

UGHHHH!!! I really hate comments like this! You know, some people are paying about 250.00 a night for the cabins....and some of us have motorhomes that probably cost more than this guy's house!!!!!!:rolleyes: :mad:

You know what I say...if it's so bad at WDW why do you go?!? there are plenty of other parks (Six Flags, Cedar Point, Kings Island....to name a few) GO THERE!:rolleyes:

You sound like the old man that complained and complained about the younger generation having no respect for their elders. How the mistreated and abused their fellow man. How they had no regard for higher education!!! He predicted that on their present course the human race wouldn’t last another generation or so!!
Yeah, maybe I'm wrong. Its just been my perception that folks are not as respectful of public places in general. But you could be right, maybe I've just got "back in the good 'ole days" syndrome when it comes to this...

It takes the same time to clean a bathroom today as it did ‘back in the day’!!
True. My point was that IF my above perception were reality, bathrooms would get dirtier quicker. In other words, the average "rate of mis-use" has increased, so that a bathroom gets dirtier in an hour today than it did 20 years ago. So it maybe cleaned just as frequently, but the average condition has still dropped.

But that is a completely hypothetical explanation for the situation, and the only way it holds water is if you accept my perception of increased public mis-use of restrooms.

Not knowing for sure how the cleaning schedules have changed over the years, I have to admit that given the other documented cuts we know of, you are proabably correct about the increased time between cleanings.

Originally posted by DVC-Landbaron
WOW!!! It’s too bad you’re in car four (or at least it sounds that way)!! Cause you seem to be one of the very few who understands just what the “Ei$ner Caste System of Resorts” really is!!!

I've been lurking on these boards for a while, and have NO idea what this car system is of which everyone else speaks!

But, I do understand that caste system. And I don't like it. The cheapest room that you can get at Disney is $77. This is a Value resort in value season, and quite frankly, I see nothing of "value". You pay $77 and get nothing. For $77 off-property, I can get a continental breakfast, turndown service, ROOM SERVICE, coffee makers, hairdryers, ironing boards, irons, etc... For $77 rack rate on property, you get a bed and a roof and pizza delivery. WOO HOO...feel the value.

But then Disney says, that they'll give you more services and amenities. You just have to pay between $56 and $653 more. There is no magic in this world that is worth that much money.

Even with all the codes and such that are available, you can get the same deluxe amenities for value rates off-property.

Stick me in whichever "car" you'd like, that's my opinion! :)

SnackyStacky

I too have been "lurking" on this board for a while. It gets very interesting. If you look at one of the "Important" threads at the top of this forum, you will see one titled "Carpools Defined".

BTW, IMO some posters take liberties with the definitions of each car. Some who say they are in car #1 and complain about problems sounds like they should really be in car #2 according to "Carpools Defined".

Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter