Mom of 1st time college student has ? for you...

I found it very useful to have storage tubs that would fit under the bed. I would have a few of those under there and it made it pretty convenient for packing things up at the end of the semester. It can also provide additional storage for clothes if there aren't enough drawers or closet space. Our closets were pretty small. Also, if you get the bed risers, you can get bigger tubs. :)

Oh... I'd recommend some ear plugs!!! You never know if the roomie will be one of those that snores! They are also good for blocking out the noise of the dorms. I was in the graduate dorms so it was a bit more quiet, but I know those undergrad dorms (especially freshman dorms) can be rather loud at times.

Definately make sure you have shower slippers and a bath caddy for carrying your stuff in and out of the shower. If you leave it in there, someone else is gonna use it (or worse, play pratical jokes and pour in hair remover in the shampoo or something). Didn't happen to me, but I've heard stories from some of the greeks on campus.

DS was a freshman this past year. You may want to wait until you get information from the school before buying sheets. DS needed regular sheets not the extra long ones. Also, his school didn't allow bed risers and without them his room-mate's trunk didn't fit under the bed and become a big obstacle. I don't want to repeat what others have posted but a fan is extremely important! Also, 3M makes a double-sided poster tape that is removable - perfect for hanging posters. They also make removable hooks for hanging items. There isn't a lot of room for storage so an over-the-bed shelf system (we got it at Bed, Bath & Beyond) is useful. A fold-up chair (a little bigger than an umbrella) is useful. This way, guests are sitting on their room-mates bed. We picked one up at BJs or Walmart for $10.

Toilet paper is a must! The cleaning crew usually aren't around on weekends! Make sure your student doesn't leave laundry detergent in the laundry area because I've heard other students could add bleach.

Annmarie

extention cords, power strips, internet cables, easy to microwave boxed/canned food, shower caddy, computer tie/lock down, poster tape, bulletin board/dry erase board, ear plugs, fan, rug/trow rug (if floor is tile --could get cold in the am) desk lamp, locking trunk or case, a roll of stamps and blank note cards (for all those letters home asking for money :teeth: ) gift cards for local food places (for those days when the cafe food is not so good).

BCVOwner2002 said:
Make sure your student doesn't leave laundry detergent in the laundry area because I've heard other students could add bleach.

There are a number of other reasons you don't want to leave your clothes in the laundry area either. When I lived in a dorm, the guys in the building had a habit of opening up the washers and dryers to check the bra size of the girl the clothes belonged to. If they were satisfied, they would wait around for her, if not, they moved on. :confused3

Thanks to all for all the great suggestions. He's going to be attending U. Richmond. How long will he need shorts for...into November? How cold will it get before Christmas break? I want to at least pick up summer clothes before July 4th...after that the fall clothes come out here in MA and the summer stuff disappears off the clearance racks!
Just got over HS graduation...now onto college, so excited for him! :banana:

I live/go to school in TN, and it should be somewhat cooler in Richmond than it is here...I don't think he should really need shorts past September. And it will be COLD by Christmas break. Hope that helps. Also, I couldn't survive without egg crates for the bed, the mattresses are horrible....and a swiffer with both dry and wet cloths. Dorms get really dusty and gross. :flower:

I actually bought a polyfill pillow top for my school mattress...made it liveable. I used those packets of Tide cubes for my laundry...no pre-measuring or anything it was GREAT and nothing large to lug down to the laundry. Power strip is a MUST. I didn't have a room mate when I lived on campus so I brought my own fridge, microwave and TV/VHS combo now I would reccomend the TV/DVD combo unit...one less plus to worry about. Also those plug in air freshners are a must. The walls are thin and the girl next door her room STUNK and whenever I opened my door my room would smell AWFUL. We didn't have closet doors so I had to bring a curtain rod and used a shower curtain.

Can I jump in as a "future" college mom.....Does everyone have a laptop. Do you take it to class for notes? I can't see that working in Chem...

TIA!
Sue

DisOrBust said:
Can I jump in as a "future" college mom.....Does everyone have a laptop. Do you take it to class for notes? I can't see that working in Chem...

TIA!
Sue

No, not everyone has a laptop. I didn't have one thru my entire undergraduate (and first graduate) degrees, and I was a computer science major. I do have a laptop now and working on another graduate degree and although I do now have a laptop, I never take it to class.

I would, however, recommend a laptop over a desktop for college students, mostly because of the portability. It makes it really easy to work on assignments wherever you need to go. Whether you are working in the library or heading home for a weekend trip (and to get mom to do laundry). :teeth:

I've only seen a few students actually use their laptops in class, and not many of them are using it to take notes. Usually they are on the wireless internet chatting, browsing the Internet, or playing games.

They certainly aren't required... most colleges have plenty of computer labs. However, having your own can definately make life easier!

i agree with vascubaguy. the only reason that people take their laptops to class with them is to chat on im or finish a paper that they hadn't finished for a class. i had a laptop for all 4 years and never once brought it to class with me, but it was so convenient to have one in that if i ever had to get together for a group meeting for a class (and i was a biochem major and had lots of projects in those classes), i could just bring it along with me to show everyone what i had completed. i was also in an area where there were 4 other colleges and was able to go and do work at another one of the colleges if my library didn't have a book i was looking for or i was waiting for one of my classes to start.

i've just found that people with laptops in college seem to get the most out of their computers. although, i rarely saw someone without a mac laptop... but maybe i'm just biased and constantly looking to see who has one... :teeth:

DS is a chem major and he has an apple laptop. I agree with others who say it is not necessary to bring it to classes but it is convenient to have a laptop for group projects, to use at the library when all of the other computers are in use. If your student will be going to school in another state like mine is, mine likes being able to use his laptop in the airport. If you do get one, make sure you have a wireless card. Annmarie

Ok, what's the best way to handle the laundry situation? Flexible pop up hamper? Laundry bags? Laundry basket?
Also I've found out that I'm being put in a built up lounge-converted to a quad. I'm assuming that the beds will be bunked, which makes me think bed risers are out. So, what do I do for storage? Would one of those narrow wheely things with drawers be best? The room does have roughly the same area as a normal quad, I just am lost on how to store some stuff.

That is extremely difficult to say. One thing I learned from all of my visits to different colleges... all dorms are not created equal. You may or may not have bunks. If you do, then I would take advantage of those hanging storage bags (ie, for shoes, etc). Doesn't mean you have to use it for shoes. Get those thin, under-the-bed, tubs... and best advice... take as little as you can possibily get away with for your first semester. At least then you will know exactly what you have to work with (and I'm sure there's a walmart nearby to help with the rest).

One of my biggest mistakes was packing up like everything I thought I would need. Then I show up and 60% of it stayed in the boxes, or were never used.

It would be really good if you could get in touch with the residence life people and maybe talk to an resident assistant and see what they say they would recommend. They've seen all types of room setups and can offer some great advice.

Good luck!!!

Edit: Oh... for laundry... I'd definately go for one of those popup things. You don't want a hard plastic hampter... those net ones are great for hauling it around and folding up out of the way. (or craming into tight spaces)

Yeah, I'm low maintenance to begin with (no makeup for me) but I was definitely planning on doing barebones packing at least at first. I'll only be 40 minutes from home, so it's not like I won't have access to stuff I need. But I've seen the dorms, and although they're bigger than most I've seen on tours, there will be some stuff that won't fit into the drawers.
Thanks for the laundry advice

where do you get those laptop/computer lock thingys that everyone keeps talking about? They can strap to your desk? Is it a big deal to just put the computer in a lockable trunk everytime you leave the room?

I'd like to know the answer to that too HappyDumboFan. I have not one but 2 going off to college this year. That's why I'm going to Disney in October....to recoperate from the stress! :rotfl:

You should be able to find the laptop locks at any of your local computer stores, or department stores that carry computer accessories. You have the ones that secure the laptop to a desk, and others that just lock the laptop shut so it can't be opened.

Locking the laptop up in a trunk is a good idea theoretically, but I doubt that after a few days (or weeks) that that would continue to be the trend. It would become a hassel to unplug it, fold it up, put it in the chest, lock it, get it back out, etc....

HTH

Thanks vascubaguy. I'm hoping that we all aren't just paranoid and that there is reason to buy one of those locks.

BTW, get a laptop lock with a combination, not a key. The keyed ones are ridiculously easy to pick open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter