Mom of 1st time college student has ? for you...

AuroraluvsPhillip

Placed in Gryffindor, so red is my color
Hi,
First time college parent here...I've been looking at lists of "What to Pack for college". I didn't go to college right out of high school and my husband was a commuter, so this is new for us. Our son will be attending college in VA and we're in MA. Any suggestions on what to bring besides what's on the typical lists? Must haves, stuff they tell you to bring that you didn't really need, what definitely not to bring?? He'll find out who his roommate is at the end of July; moving in day is third week of August, so I want to start buying stuff soon....I will wait on fridge, TV, until he talks to his roommate, so they can decide who wants to bring what.

Any suggestions are appreciated...thanks guys! :wave2:

Hmm, I'm trying to think about things you wouldn't think of...well, for me, electronics was an issue or more, plugs. Don't forget a power strip and "converters" if you have a three prong plug and the room only has a two-prong plug. Also, don't forget a LONG ethernet cord for his computer - sometimes the jack is very far from where the desk ends up. Other than that, the lists you can find on the internet are pretty thorough and also talking to students at the school he's heading to will give him tips as well - each school is different in certain needs like my school provides a micro-fridge for each dorm room so I didn't need to be worried about that. Hope that helps!

Here's something a lot of lists dont cover. Bring your own REGULAR sized trashcan. Usually one is provided but its too small. Our fills at the end of two days and its REALLY ANNOYING. Also if you can find/make a laundry basket/hamper that rolls it is much easier to tote laundry. I'll keep thinking and see if I can come up with anything else!

When I was visiting campus before coming to college I found a really great book in one of the bookstores. "My Freshman Manual" is a sweet little book that is nothing but tidbits of information that help make the transition a little bit easier. I'm finishing my 4th year, with more to come, and I still read that book! Talk with the roomie, find out what they have/are willing to bring. Make sure you have a phone with an answering machine! Also if possible, show up before your roomate does. That way you can choose which side of the room you want, and it also makes moving in slightly easier.

i basically went with the staples when i first went to college. you learn year by year what there is that you really need to bring. a lot of the time i would end up shopping for something or other i forgot, even up until this year (my senior year!). it's inevitable that you are going to leave something home that you really need. :p i luckily live in nj and go to school in ma, so i can go home and get things as needed.

here are a few things that i've found helpful:

1. umbrella! it's not something you think of while packing!
2. books that you might need.
3. shower sandals.
4. MEDICINE! you never know when you're going to need it!

there are a lot of things that really just depend on how much you will get to see each other, like clothing. i go home/see my parents at least 2-3 times a semester so i can get things i need from them.

packing list

some things on that list are a bit much, but you can get the basics from there.

good luck!
:flower:

bed risers!
I also found that I really wanted stuff to cover the walls. My school has poster sales at the begining of each semester, but its probably easier to get them at home. Some people use pictures or drawings too.
A carpet for the floor if their room doesn't have tile. Its not a necessity, but stepping on a carpet first thing in the morning is a lot nicer than cold tile.

I used google to search for things to bring for college and found lists of stuff that you would never think of. Thats a great way to look at ideas and then decide what you think you'll need. Don't forget that you can always buy stuff when you get there!

I bought an iron and a small ironing board for my son -after -, he was already up at school, I was a little surprised that he wanted/needed an iron ,since I thought most of the time they must walk around campus in baggy and wrinkled clothes. It was nice to know that sometimes he likes his clothes neat and pressed.I also packed him a first -aid kit with a thermometer,tylenol,advil, bandaides etc.,... and not to forget a "calling card ",for when they want to call home. My son is at school here in Mass. and comes home now , just about every weekend pirate: ... so much for "going off to college"....I get to do his laundry every weekend !

A Fan! Even if his roomate is bringing one have him bring one as well! I swear I've never been in a dorm that is NOT hot and stuffy in the summer, despite air conditioning, and I live in Northeastern Ohio in the middle of the snowbelt! :) A fan is a serious way to save your sanity. :)

A small light that only lights up his work area. Or a reading light that he can clip onto a book. These are great when your roomate is sleeping yet you need to continue reading. I find that I was a lot more comfortable studying in my room than in the lounge of our dorm (less distractions there) but my roomate would pass out at 8 pm! (NO JOKE!) So a small light goes a long way. :)

A large carpet that can cover a good portion of the floor. The thing about dorms is that they are too hot in the spring and summer, and FREEZING in the winter despite the heat! So having carpet on the floors really warms up a place. You can also get decorative rugs to hang on the walls. This warms up a room and tends to muffle sound a bit more. There are a lot of patterns that are good for guys if he's into outdoors stuff, like Wolves, Lake Scenes with fishing on them, etc. They just take a small search to find! lol

DAWGPOUNDAJ said:
I live in Northeastern Ohio in the middle of the snowbelt! :) A fan is a serious way to save your sanity. :)

NE Ohio?!?!? Where you go to school? I'm on the other side of the state at Bowling Green.

Other things I've thought of looking around my room that havn't already been menitioned:

*Milk Crates; they make good shelves. I'm using mine as end table/phone stand/food storage.
*X-mas lites; help make the room seem more like home
*Stuffed animal(s); I'm a 22 year old frat brother who still sleeps with Goofy! It helps on some of those lonely homesick nights.
*Small tool kit; never know when you might need to fix something.
*Mircowave safe bowl!!!!; You can only eat in the dining halls so long.
*Good book to read; not every nite is a party.
*Battery powered alarm clock; power seems to go off at weird times with no real rhyme or reason
*Bath robe/house coat; nice for showers, and the look cool!

Thats about all I can think of that hasn't already been said. Whatever one else has said is really good too!! I'll keep thinking, if I come up with something I'll pass it along.

Two things off the top of my head:

1. A tool kit
2. A well stocked first aid kit/medicine cabinet kit.

Oh, and tons of quarters. It's only been recently (3 years post college dorm/apt living) that I've stopped hoarding quarters. :earsboy:

My son is a college freshman this year. I hear you about so much for going off to college. My son comes home every weekend also. He says there is nothing going on at school "it emptys out on the weekends". I don't know how I lucked out but he never brings his laundry home. This past weekend he says he was doing laundry at 8 am and he was home by noon. Now if he will continue doing it when he is home for the summer will be a different story though I'm sure.
Anyhow, the bed risers were a big help, also a long cable wire, and I bought what looked like a seamans chest and it fit under the bed perfectly for him to store things he doesn't need to get to all the time. I'm sure you know to get extra long sheets. They don't usually come into the stores til August. Lots of water bottles, a lot cheaper than having to buy them at school. Paper towels, windex and fantastic. (He actually used them and asked for more, I just kind of threw them in with his things HOPING he would use them)
There are so many things I just picked up when I saw them, my dining room looked like a store for the whole summer. Now he will be home in three weeks and who knows where all this stuff is going to go for the summer. Not in my dining room!!!!!

Like others have mentioned above, bring power strips! You end up having so many things to plug in and only a couple outlets. One thing that I didn't see mentioned was Clorox wipes...my room gets dusty and gross so incredibly fast! If possible (and he won't have a kitchen in his building), either ensure he has a microwave or rent/buy a Microfridge (combo microwave/fridge/freezer.) My school doesn't allow both a fridge and a microwave due to electrical capacity issues, so I rented a Microfridge and the microwave part has come in handy more than the fridge even. Also bring a microwave safe bowl and a set of utensils. It is almost the end of the year here and I have basically stopped eating in the dining hall, so they come in handy.

That putty stuff to attach stuff to the walls...and a roll of stick on velcro. Trust me, when you have those things, you'll find all sorts of uses for them.

I used the putty to make an entire wall of pictures, it was lots of fun.

There's some really good advice here. I just wanted to add a trunk or small case that locks. You never know who is going to be in your room when you arent around, especially in the beginning, and there are just some things that you don't want to disappear. :flower:

oh yeah, the locking box a good one! i once walked into my room freshman year and these two huge guys were sitting on my roommates bed and she wasn't in the room. needless to say that kind of freaked me out, because well, at an all girls school it's a bit weird to see.

also, if your son has a laptop or is bringing one to school, i found it useful to have a lock for when it was in my room and i wasn't. we sometimes had trouble with our locks and i wasn never sure if my roommate had locked our door when i wasn't there, so i strapped that baby to my desk and it was always there when i came back. :teeth:

iggbees said:
also, if your son has a laptop or is bringing one to school, i found it useful to have a lock for when it was in my room and i wasn't. we sometimes had trouble with our locks and i wasn never sure if my roommate had locked our door when i wasn't there, so i strapped that baby to my desk and it was always there when i came back. :teeth:

Oh yeah, good idea. I had one of those too, and when things on our floor started to go missing, I was even more glad that I had it.

I have another idea as well. They sell those little pots that you plug in that boil water. I got a lot of use out of that, for making ramen and tea and hot chocolate. :flower:

seein as how i just got out of my freshman year, yesterday was my last day of finals, i can think of a lot of things to make sure that you bring. cat-5 cable is a must because many dorms still dont have wireless internet. A long cable cord is good to have to because many of the things can be all the way across the room from the outlets. posters are a deffinite must, your son will probably want to pick them out on his own, but they deffinitly can easily turn an ugly dorm room into a comfortable home. A loft is also very nice to have, that way you can either bunk the beds or loft both the beds and be able to put a lot of the stuff underneath it, such as the desk or a couch under one and a whole tv set up under the other. Pack some sunscrean too, as long as he remembers to throw it on it helps alot in preventin gettin sunburnt while out throwin the frisbee or football around. a good water bottle is nice to have too so that you dont have to keep buying the $1 waters, which can add up very quickly. A fridge is a must if your going to be cooking anything, its good to have it stocked with milk and soda. disposable plates, cups, and untensils i found to be much easier to use than ones that can be washed because those often pile up. a small vacume is also very useful, or a broom. a nice suit is usually good to have, especially if your son is interested in joining a fraturnity. also strong tape is a must, seeing as how the room is most likely to be made out of cinderblocks, or in my case aluminum, which allows you to hear everything from 4 rooms down.

I've commuted all 4 years of college, but since I do live in VA and go to college here, here's one handy suggestion. Make sure your son brings bug spray unless he doesn't mind getting bitten by mosquitos every 5 seconds. They're really bad in August, but a lot depends on exactly what part of VA he's going to be heading to.

One thing that my roommate and I had to really try to hunt down that was really worth the search was an outlet converter that converted a two-prong outlet into a three-prong outlet. Our room did have a three-prong outlet, but I'm pretty sure it only had one, by using the converter we were able to use more of the outlets. Also PLENTY of extension cords if they'll allow them, my roommate and I both packed them but still needed more and longer ones. Also neither one of us brought a cable cord for our television. And the last thing I can think of is a under the sink shelf. I bought one at Bed Bath and Beyond and it helped create more storage, something we were both in desperate need of. Also they had some inexpensive bed risers that help create extra storage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter