May 2012 Car Rentals

Kim&Chris

DIS Veteran
Is anyone getting any rates that aren't heart-attack-inducing?

I can't find ANYTHING even close to reasonable for mid-May. Nothing.

I was wondering if anyone else had found anything decent. :confused3

I too, have found the current pricing very high for May. I have been checking to see what is available for the last week of May. And currently everything is higher then what I have received over the years, for the same time period.

I've gone back and checked prior years reservations. And found that my best pricing has always been in April. No matter what discount ID number and coupon codes, I have used.

If you find a price that is within your budget, just book it. You can always cancel the reservation, once you booked a better price.

Good Luck!

Honestly - I have never seen rates this high. Last year, for early June we paid about $118. for a 9 day mid-size through Alamo. It's not that I expect rates to be that low, but we are now looking at $700. for a 10 day compact. :eek:

Luckily, my company has a corporate rate set up with Hertz that I can use. At this time I am booked in a full size at $350. total. Not horrible, considering; but I prefer to use Alamo or National.

Honestly - I have never seen rates this high. Last year, for early June we paid about $118. for a 9 day mid-size through Alamo. It's not that I expect rates to be that low, but we are now looking at $700. for a 10 day compact. :eek:

Luckily, my company has a corporate rate set up with Hertz that I can use. At this time I am booked in a full size at $350. total. Not horrible, considering; but I prefer to use Alamo or National.

Try expedia.ca and for a prepaid rate you can get a compact for $215.54, midsize $221.00. full size $231.89CAN with Budget. All include taxes and fees. Us residents can book on expedia.ca as well. I just checked Jun 2 - 12th as an example.

Try expedia.ca and for a prepaid rate you can get a compact for $215.54, midsize $221.00. full size $231.89CAN with Budget. All include taxes and fees. Us residents can book on expedia.ca as well. I just checked Jun 2 - 12th as an example.

Thanks webworm. I saw you post that earlier this morning for someone else and it did give me a decent rate. BUT, I hate to commit to Budget when rates might come down. I will definitely keep this is in mind if they don't get lower as it gets closer.

Thanks again for the great information! :thumbsup2

Hi Everyone,

We're going down 5/1-5/8 and I was just plain shocked by what I saw regarding rates yesterday. I too looked at recent ressies and have not seen such high rates for National or Alamo. Yesterday I broke down and reserved with Hertz for $290 for aToyota Corrolla with AAA discount. I'm a member of Emerald Club and all other discount clubs but nothing seems to be less than $490 for just one week. Anyone have any good news lately with the big rental car companies?:confused3

I will be there 5/1-5/8 and I reserved a compact car through Hertz for $276 with a coupon code. I still check back often,hopefully it will go down the closer it gets.

Hi Everyone,

We're going down 5/1-5/8 and I was just plain shocked by what I saw regarding rates yesterday. I too looked at recent ressies and have not seen such high rates for National or Alamo. Yesterday I broke down and reserved with Hertz for $290 for aToyota Corrolla with AAA discount. I'm a member of Emerald Club and all other discount clubs but nothing seems to be less than $490 for just one week. Anyone have any good news lately with the big rental car companies?:confused3

You could try Budget using x474200 (travelocity code) and E-Coupon MUGZ029 for $30 off. Total is $237.70 inc taxes for a compact after coupon is applied when return vehicle. There is also a prepaid rate for a compact on expedia.ca for $126.53 with Dollar or $133.22 with Budget. US residents can book on there as well.

This is our first time renting so I really haven't the foggiest idea what I am doing. I've read what I can. We're flying into Lakeland airport, which only has a Hertz desk and Usave.
We need a one way rental to Universal. We'll return it upon check in. Then 2 days later we will be renting from the Hertz desk at Universal(Royal Pacific resort) and driving it to Disney, keeping it for 8 days, and returning it to Lakeland.

For the second 8 day rental I was able to get a mid size for 300 Canadian through Hertz using my CAA (AAA) discount. Not fabulous, but I wasn't expecting anything great when I am renting from Universal and returning to lakeland. There isn't much competition.

Seeing what some of you are being quoted I guess I am pretty happy with my rate of 300. I'll keep checking to see if it comes down though.
I did notice the deals section of Hertz doesn't have any codes running into our dates. Most of them are only good until March. So hopefully discounts will be coming out for all of you as the dates get closer!

I can't believe the rates! I've never seen this before, and I'm growing concerned. I always find the best rate through Costco of which I'm a member. However, $244 is the best I can find for my dates so far, and that's at the DCCC. I typically pay $90-110 for a week for an intermediate car.

I was curious, so I played with the dates going all the way back to Feb. I typically find rates drop about 45 days out and around the 30 day mark secure the best rate. ...I'm checking them multiple times a day and find my best rate at around midnight on Sundays..... I found the rates were high every single month I checked. Even at 30 days out. ...now I'm nervous!!!! ...what's going on?

Hang in there folks! When I first started looking for a car for our December trip I thought we might end up walking the rates were so high. About two weeks out the prices took a plunge. I got a compact for 5 days for less than $70. The guy at the counter thought it was a one day rental not 5 days because the price was so low. Many of the others I saw going in December also ended up with pretty good rates.

Hang in there folks! When I first started looking for a car for our December trip I thought we might end up walking the rates were so high. About two weeks out the prices took a plunge. I got a compact for 5 days for less than $70. The guy at the counter thought it was a one day rental not 5 days because the price was so low. Many of the others I saw going in December also ended up with pretty good rates.

:thumbsup2

That's really what I'm hoping will happen. There can't be many people booking at this rate, so I can't imagine they won't drop the rates simply to increase the number of rentals.

Fingers crossed!!!

:thumbsup2

That's really what I'm hoping will happen. There can't be many people booking at this rate, so I can't imagine they won't drop the rates simply to increase the number of rentals.

Fingers crossed!!!

Same here -- crossing my fingers for a rate drop in May:)

I will be there 5/1-5/8 and I reserved a compact car through Hertz for $276 with a coupon code. I still check back often,hopefully it will go down the closer it gets.

Prepaid rate on expedia.ca for a compact inc taxes is $126.30CAN with Dollar or $132.95CAN Budget.

Just changed my reservation. Using Hertz I have a full size for the first week of May (7 day rental) for 268. It's 30 dollars cheaper than the CAA rate I booked.
I used the Global Sale code on the Hertz website. Make sure the code is in the box. Following one of the links on the site it didn't put the code in and gave me the full price. The code is 754910. It's worth a try:)

Just changed my reservation. Using Hertz I have a full size for the first week of May (7 day rental) for 268. It's 30 dollars cheaper than the CAA rate I booked.
I used the Global Sale code on the Hertz website. Make sure the code is in the box. Following one of the links on the site it didn't put the code in and gave me the full price. The code is 754910. It's worth a try:)

Did you try expedia.ca? I get a prepaid rate of $136.04 with Dollar or $143.07 inc taxes from May 5 - 12 for a full size. Oh cancel that I see you are flying into Lakeland so much more for a car rental than Orlando or Tampa.

Did you try expedia.ca? I get a prepaid rate of $136.04 with Dollar or $143.07 inc taxes from May 5 - 12 for a full size. Oh cancel that I see you are flying into Lakeland so much more for a car rental than Orlando or Tampa.

Thanks anyway:). We're doing a one day rental to get us from Lakeland to Universal. Luckily our hotel has a Hertz desk so we'll turn it in when we check in and go carless (and not pay parking fees!) for 2 days. Then when we check out we've booked this other one for the remainder of the trip. It saves us 80 dollars or so to do it this way rather than book for the whole trip.

I wish I could take advantage of those Expedia rates! I am still hoping this one will come down, but for now it's a price I can live with.

I would love to come across a better rate than the $400 for standard suv for 9 days:surfweb: with budget. Last August we rented a standard car and it really gave me knee issues along with all of the walking you do at disney.popcorn::

I rented a full-size for 14 days with Budget via Costco (Canada) for $346 (fees and taxes in, not prepaid) about 3 weeks ago. I'm very happy with that rate but I will continue to check as our May 13-27 trip gets closer. If I can get an SUV (as that is what I drive now) for an equal or cheaper price as I get closer to my trip I will cancel the full size and book the SUV.

On top of the rate I received, I have 2 coupons for a free day that were sent to me by one of the Budget Customer Service managers due to poor customer service I received on an earlier booking, so I will have an additional deduction when I pick up the car.

NicoleMD

I am looking at cars for June. This is about half the price. Has anyone from the states used this and picked up your car. Were there any exchange rates with the money on your charge or when you picked up the car?
Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter