Marathon Weekend 2017!

Well, I've done it, I've registered for another Dopey last week. I was going to skip Dopey 2017, but then found (in addition to the Dopey bibs that were still available) a room at Pop Century (cheaper than usual) and a flight (cheaper than usual). I took that as a sign and registered and booked everything and even added the Castaway Cay 5k!

I took a month of running after the Disneyland Paris half marathon in September, and had to have an inflamed cyst on my head removed a couple of weeks ago, so I am continuing my tradition of being totally undertrained for Dopey. :rolleyes2 At least this time I'm not injured... I know I can do the half marathon without problems (not trying for a PR, obviously), and will turn the marathon into a "run from Cinderella to Peter Pan to Donald to..."-Challenge again.

Half Marathon back open ... I imagine this is just the beginning of RunDisney splitting up unsold challenge bibs.
Keels, I love you for posting this! We were starting to get nervous about running the full, especially so soon after the holidays with our current longest run being 13.1... So we just transferred! The first time we called, they told me "no, you can't go down to a shorter distance". Called back 2 minutes later and were told by the rep that their team leader had just told them that transfers will be accepted. On the transfer request form, it does say there is an Oct 4th cut off date, but they are waiving that due to the newly opened spots. You must register for the new race first, then submit a transfer. When you get a refund for your original race, they take off a $45 admin fee.

Feeling sooooo much better. Less anxiety. Goodbye 17 mile training this Saturday, hello a 13.1!

Last edited:

Does anyone have any information about the Galloway Pacers? I have done some Googling and cannot find anything.
Jeff mentioned them on the latest Mickey miles and more podcast. They will be at the upcoming WDW races, but doesn't have current plans for Disneyland races. He said they wear green and don't turn away anyone from running with them. I would try to see if his website has anymore info.

Jeff mentioned them on the latest Mickey miles and more podcast. They will be at the upcoming WDW races, but doesn't have current plans for Disneyland races. He said they wear green and don't turn away anyone from running with them. I would try to see if his website has anymore info.
Jeff will have pacers at WDW this year according to what he said on the Mickey miles and more podcast recently.

I wasn't even aware there was a second set of pacers. Thanks for the correction!

I'm not hearing much about the course and I'm wondering what will change with DHS under construction.I believe the entrance we enter DHS through by TOT is construction free so I'm thinking we will at least run through some of DHS before heading to the Boardwalk....
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Figure they'll make up the missing DHS distance at WWOS and/or AK.

This week's Sundays are for Disney question is about inspiration. It seems most of us are getting into the longest distances of our training. Some of us are contending with injury and the uncertainty that can come with that. So, what keeps you going on those long runs? What gets you back out the door when you've had a tough run or are feeling a little pain?
@DopeyBadger put it perfectly, so I'm just going to quote him for my answer!

I LOVE running. So there really isn't any consideration to not go out and run. I chose running as a hobby because I like it. If I didn't like it, I'd choose a different hobby like swimming, biking, tennis, basketball, cross stitching, etc.
:thumbsup2 That's it - I'd still be running without a race to train for because it brings me so much joy! Also, there's this from Dostoyevsky: "Suffering is the sole origin of consciousness." I've long been prone to self-induced suffering - and Dopey training is filling that role quite nicely. ;)

Keels, I love you for posting this! We were starting to get nervous about running the full, especially so soon after the holidays with our current longest run being 13.1... So we just transferred! The first time we called, they told me "no, you can't go down to a shorter distance". Called back 2 minutes later and were told by the rep that their team leader had just told them that transfers will be accepted. On the transfer request form, it does say there is an Oct 4th cut off date, but they are waiving that due to the newly opened spots. You must register for the new race first, then submit a transfer. When you get a refund for your original race, they take off a $45 admin fee.

Feeling sooooo much better. Less anxiety. Goodbye 17 mile training this Saturday, hello a 13.1!

does anyone have and guesses as to how long spots will be open or they will be allowing transfers to downgrade to the half? I may try to talk DD26 into it since she is so far behind on training for the full and is stressing herself out. But I can't pay for it until I get paid Friday. :/

I'm not sure if this is new for this year or if he's done it in the past.
Galloway pacers were new for Wine & Dine this year & it sounded like they really wanted to get them at all weekends as they had pacers for 3 hours plus, so people were really happy with them.

Does anyone have any information about the Galloway Pacers? I have done some Googling and cannot find anything.
If they have them I'm sure they'll info. at his booth at the expo. They did for Wine & Dine this year as the first time using them. I personally didn't use them or even see them, but I know people were very happy with them.

does anyone have and guesses as to how long spots will be open or they will be allowing transfers to downgrade to the half? I may try to talk DD26 into it since she is so far behind on training for the full and is stressing herself out. But I can't pay for it until I get paid Friday. :/
They are allowing people to transfer to the half - no idea on how long the spots will be open. Once they're gone, they're gone, I guess.

She'd need to sign up for the half first and then fill out the transfer form - I think it'll require a phone call since transfers "officially" closed on October 4. She'll get a refund for the marathon fee, minus the processing fee ($45 I think).

^^unless they split up Dopey bibs (I assume these new spots are a result of splitting up Goofy bibs since we're not seeing 10K or 5K bibs pop up).

@Ariel484 thanks! Okay, will just hope they still have some on Friday morning. That is, if I can talk her into it. I would upgrade and do the Goofy so I could run the half with her but $$$ lol.

ETA: Although, we don't even land at MCO until 5:50 on Friday night. There is no way we can make it to the expo before it closes at 7:00 to get her bib for Saturday. sigh

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter