• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2017!

Can amybody run with these pacers, like see them and run behind them or do you need to register at the expo?

So, I think for Marathon Weekend, I'm going to buy a bunch of $5 iTunes/Starbucks gift cards to hand out over the course of the weekend to volunteers. Probably 20-25 or so, for the volunteers I encounter that really help me out or put a smile on my face.

@FFigawi's parents volunteered at Ironman, and his mom received some Starbucks cards from athletes and she was really touched by that, so I think I'd like to do the same. Having volunteered before, it can turn into a long day - ESPECIALLY on Marathon Day. If you're volunteering on-course, at medals or at gear check, your day starts at 3 a.m. and you're not done until well after 1 p.m. Yes, volunteers during the race DO eventually get a free one-day, one-park ticket ... but they deserve WAY more than that.

Can't hurt to help get some good juju over race weekend, right?

So, I think for Marathon Weekend, I'm going to buy a bunch of $5 iTunes/Starbucks gift cards to hand out over the course of the weekend to volunteers. Probably 20-25 or so, for the volunteers I encounter that really help me out or put a smile on my face.

@FFigawi's parents volunteered at Ironman, and his mom received some Starbucks cards from athletes and she was really touched by that, so I think I'd like to do the same. Having volunteered before, it can turn into a long day - ESPECIALLY on Marathon Day. If you're volunteering on-course, at medals or at gear check, your day starts at 3 a.m. and you're not done until well after 1 p.m. Yes, volunteers during the race DO eventually get a free one-day, one-park ticket ... but they deserve WAY more than that.

That's an awesome idea!

A bit late to the question of the week, but I have been thinking about staying motivated as winter temps, long runners and early morning/late evening runs are alwasy in the dark. I think @DopeyBadger did put it well in that the love of running gets me out there. But like tomorrow morning when he alarm goes off at 4:30 and I need to knock out 10 miles (all in the dark) before a busy day at work; it can be challenging to "answer the bell". But this is what is helping me. I have been studying my running log from last November and December and it is clear to see I really stepped back from my plan. It showed during Dopey as the marathon was a slogfest for me.

I am using that experience to push myself this year into completing my training plan; even on those cold and dark Michigan mornings. Very stoked to get to January and crushing my effort from last year!

For anyone who does this besides me and @Keels, it's also customary to write your name and bib number on the card so the volunteer who gets it can look you up and see how you did. One of the women who gave my mother a card finished fourth!

My motivation - my running group. Running on my own can sometimes be a struggle mentally for me. I am thankful that I have a group that I can run a lot of my miles with. As long as I know I am meeting people at a certain time and place, it makes it easier to get out there, and then I am okay finishing up my extra miles afterwards (or before) on my own. I also remember after my first half marathon, I slacked on my training up until the Marathon Weekend half, and I was in pain during that half and afterwards. That has also helped me keep motivated to not slack on my training so I can have fun and get through these races with not many pains.

I have to vent for a minute about my frustration with runDisney. I heard they are 2 weeks behind on transfers so I called to see my status (submitted 3 weeks ago) and they can't see my Dopey registration but I can on my active page. I actually have two Dopey registrations because I registered once and it didn't show up for a week, so they had me register again and that showed up right away. Then a week later the first one showed up. Fingers crossed I can get my money back soon!

I'll also add that this is the link that @Keels provided as her first guess as to the early corral release information: http://rtrt.me/wdwm.

I'll be checking it often today. :surfweb: She is a RunDisney wizard! :wizard: Thanks @Keels!
Ah, I was looking for that yesterday. My hackey skillz are lacking!
I have to vent for a minute about my frustration with runDisney. I heard they are 2 weeks behind on transfers so I called to see my status (submitted 3 weeks ago) and they can't see my Dopey registration but I can on my active page. I actually have two Dopey registrations because I registered once and it didn't show up for a week, so they had me register again and that showed up right away. Then a week later the first one showed up. Fingers crossed I can get my money back soon!
I would be LIVID. They would get sick of me because I would be calling and emailing constantly :teeth: Their customer service is so bad! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I have never heard of something like this before. What an incredible idea! I might have to steal this idea in the future.

I have never heard of something like this before. What an incredible idea! I might have to steal this idea in the future.

Apparently, as I learned last month, it's common in Ironman races because of all the help the volunteers provide - wetsuit stripping, transition changing, bike racking, etc., in addition to the usual aid stations.

Apparently, as I learned last month, it's common in Ironman races because of all the help the volunteers provide - wetsuit stripping, transition changing, bike racking, etc., in addition to the usual aid stations.

I was thinking for post-race med people too - like the ones that do ice, etc.

I dig the blue/black color scheme. Fair to assume the expo will be well stocked with this gear?

The official race shirts have not been released, right?
I THINK this stuff will be at the expo. I bought a Sweaty Band at Tink this year similar to the one in this link, but it was red.

We likely will not see the race shirts until January 4...possibly the 3rd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter