Leaving Kids Asleep In Our Cabin.....Alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the.Classics? I thought I was just on the Magic deck plans looking. Or maybe it's certain categories? At any rate, not all do, I know that for sure, so that's not a way to guarantee entry into someone else's stateroom.

I see you are right. On the classics it looks like 50/50 if you get a connecting room or not (still more than other cruise lines) but the Dream class it is like 75-80% connecting rooms.

My wife and I think this a horrible idea. You have no idea who the other people are on that ship.
While that's true. In a locked room and parents nearby, no more than a few minutes away and ground rules set and the kids are self sufficient.

So we have done this- left them alone. I do think my kids were early teens though. One night my son was a bit seasick-he went to bed early. Another time my daughter. I think we ducked out for a night cap once while they were watching a movie. Never for very long. I guess that really doesn't matter. They were fine. As a parent- it is up to you and your comfort level and your kids, at what age you feel they are able to contact you , if necessary, and their comfort level.

Do not be surprised if your kids are going strong MUCH later than normal LOL! There is a possibility they will close down the Club at midnight. One thing we love about cruising: lots of fun for the kids, lots of fun for Parents
This my thought. My kids were in the Lab or Edge until closing at that age. I was the one nodding off by 10. I used to set my alarm to make sure they got back to room ok. My husband has fallen asleep in the adult lounge waiting for the Edge to close.

My parents left us alone "after we fell asleep" when we were children to visit with neighbors, etc. I have never forgiven them for the times when I would wake up and could not find them. As a parent, you never know when you will be needed. The kids clubs will be open late, your kids will be in "vacation mode" and quite likely still awake long past their normal bedtime. Take advantage of the opportunity of them hanging in the kid clubs while you visit the "adult" clubs.

Hi everyone. I'm booked on a Western Caribbean cruise this fall with my wife and twin sons (10 1/2 yo at the time of the cruise). With all the fun and sun, I'm anticipating my kids falling asleep at night between 9:30 and 10pm each night, however my wife and I likely won't be ready to turn in at that point. We'd like to possibly go down to one of the bars and spend some time together. However we're unsure about leaving the kids, even if they know we're going and could contact us on the wave phones or text on the Disney app.

I'm curious if any past cruisers have any thoughts or experiences with this. We're hesitant on one hand, however we'd still be close where we would be back to the room in a matter of a minute or two if needed.

Let me know your thoughts!

MKandyman

I wouldn't leave my DS but he's 9 and immature for his age.
He would love it though if we allowed it :)
I would let the kids stay in children's programming though while you guys enjoy the adult district.
As I said above my kid goes to bed early at home but had no problem staying up on the ship.

On our first cruise my oldest were 10 and 12, they'd take turns staying in with my youngest two (5 and 6) they always knew where we were and we always had our wave phones.

Since you asked... another vote for NO. For starters, the wave phones are not easy to use, when they work, and the same can be said for the app. So do NOT count on that. With that being said, would you go to a new city, lock them in the hotel, and leave for a couple hours to go bar hopping? Just one of those times when you should divide up. OR put them in the kids club until you check them out.

Since you asked... another vote for NO. For starters, the wave phones are not easy to use, when they work, and the same can be said for the app. So do NOT count on that. With that being said, would you go to a new city, lock them in the hotel, and leave for a couple hours to go bar hopping? Just one of those times when you should divide up. OR put them in the kids club until you check them out.

Actually I have. During the day though and we went museum hopping (neither of us bar hop much). And my kids were a little older. They much preferred chilling in the locked room watching tv. At this age, I would feel comfortable leaving them in a locked cabin with ground rules and being only a few mins away. Can easily check in on them every once in a while. A cruise is the perfect place to give them some independence IMO.

Not all that long ago, 10 yr old kids often put in a full day's work. While I don't advocate returning to child labor, we really coddle our kids these days. I find it fascinating to read historical accounts of what used to be considered normal responsibilities for children.

Would these 7,10, year olds ( just glancing thru some responses) know what to do in an emergency situation?. Perhaps one that can't wait for a response from a text?
It's certainly a personal decision... I suppose if one is comfortable with the possible ramifications, go for it.
Safe travels!

NYC is a very different beast than a cruise.

So not even comparable.

Disagree! the ship is a city unto itself with more foreigners than you might find in a single hotel. Just because you can doesn't mean you should...

If you want to start with child labor laws, lets talk about WHY they enacted them in the first place.

Disagree! the ship is a city unto itself with more foreigners than you might find in a single hotel.

I disagree with you bc if you are in a new city bar hopping, you are no longer in the same building as your children. Who knows what might happen to you along the way, where you'd end up, and how you'd get back to the hotel and when. No one would be able to figure out where you were. The chances of the same dangers on board DCL seem slim to none.

Your're right... a hotel in NYC wouldn't have an emergency where you have to grab your belongings and head to a muster station... much safer. :sad2:

That makes no sense. Unless you are saying your entire family does everything together all the time together 24/7 when you cruise. No kids clubs, no adult dining, your kids are always physically with you. Sorry, I don't choose to live my life fearing the absolute worst scenario will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter