• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Leaving Kids Asleep In Our Cabin.....Alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just be sure to let your boys know ahead of time what you are planning to do. Then write them a post-it note about your whereabouts. It would not be a pleasant experience to wake up and couldn't find your parents anywhere in the stateroom.

Really? We usually go with extended family so usually have adjacent doors and balconies. Makes it nice for the kids and feels like a house!

You can see on the stateroom deck plans there aren't a ton of rooms with connecting doors. I think there are more on the Dream class, but I'm pretty sure on the Classics there are even fewer.

On DCL almsot every room is connecting in my experience That is one of their selling points.

On the.Classics? I thought I was just on the Magic deck plans looking. Or maybe it's certain categories? At any rate, not all do, I know that for sure, so that's not a way to guarantee entry into someone else's stateroom.

I would worry if I can't find my mom. I would wonder where she might be. And I am 51. Why not? Wouldn't you wonder? I would definitely appreciate if my mom leaves me a note.
Not really, my mom is quite capable of taking care of herself.

I see no issues with leaving kids alone at 10, as long as they are mature enough to handle it and that is at home or on the ship, but I think we tend to not let kids make some mistakes and learn from them and have become a little too overbearing in our society. In fact I would feel comfortable at a younger age on the ship, but again it definitely depends on the maturity level.

Just tell them that is they have any issues and can't get you to dial '0' from any (non wave phone) ship phone and that will get them right through to guest services and they'll help them out with pretty much anything haha.

On the.Classics? I thought I was just on the Magic deck plans looking. Or maybe it's certain categories? At any rate, not all do, I know that for sure, so that's not a way to guarantee entry into someone else's stateroom.

Hm I'll have to check the up to date floor plans. I haven't been on the classica but on the Dream class even trying to get non-connecting we've never had any luck.

I take it you don't have teens or tweens? Lol

:)

My son would love it.

Except he's been closing down kid clubs on ships since he was 8. While we sit in the hall begging him to leave lol. Once dh went in to get him and 5 girls begged to let ds stay! Back out dh went, to wait. :)

Our 4 year old was shutting the club down at midnight. Did I mention she goes to bed between 6:30 and 7pm at home? :rotfl2:

Same with my dd, every night of cruise we had to drag her out of club at closing time. Yet she still woke up at 630 every morning. Actually dh had to get her, I was usually already in bed asleep well before midnight!

I don't think I could do it. I keep thinking back to the horrific things that can go wrong when parents left kidos in hotel rooms ect.. even though they were close by.
I would however drop off in Lab/Club for the evening. Mine was fine till closing on most nights, unless there was an open house and he got stuck in club. He likes the Lab better.

Our DDs stayed up LATE so we left them in the mornings when we went to breakfast. They knew ahead of time we were going to do so (they were 11 and 8). We brought breakfast back to them in the room. It worked great for us!!

Our kids are a bit younger (9 & 6 1/2) and about to embark on their 3rd Disney cruise; no I would not leave them in the cabin for any reason. However my kids need to be pulled from the clubs kicking and screaming so if DH and I would like a late night drink our kids are partying it up in the kids club because they are BEASTS that go all night :rotfl2:Although truth be told a couple of times when we've come to do pick up (say, 10 or 10:30?) our youngest has been crashed out in a chair in front of a movie :faint:

I think it all comes down to the kids themselves. Some aren't going to be ok being left behind, even tweens, if they have anxiety issues. Some probably shouldn't be trusted when left to their own devices. But many will be just fine. DH and I left ours alone (8 and 11) and probably will next time as well. It wasn't for any giant chunk of time. They slept so.so.so.late that we'd have eaten breakfast about twice on a 7-day if DH and I hadn't ducked up to Cabanas 10min before it closed to load up plates and bring them back to the room. On day 2 we pretty much said "if you wake up and we're not here, we're just getting you breakfast and won't be gone long" and left that as a standing notice. A couple dinners ran long and they went back to the room while the adults finished dessert. Our rules for those sorts of times were they HAD to stay together and they had to text when they were in the room. I think it helps if they have their own electronic devices that are familiar to them so they can text with something other than the wave phone. I'll note we were in an oceanview, so I would likely be more nervous if there was a verandah to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter