Leaving Kids Asleep In Our Cabin.....Alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKandyman

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone. I'm booked on a Western Caribbean cruise this fall with my wife and twin sons (10 1/2 yo at the time of the cruise). With all the fun and sun, I'm anticipating my kids falling asleep at night between 9:30 and 10pm each night, however my wife and I likely won't be ready to turn in at that point. We'd like to possibly go down to one of the bars and spend some time together. However we're unsure about leaving the kids, even if they know we're going and could contact us on the wave phones or text on the Disney app.

I'm curious if any past cruisers have any thoughts or experiences with this. We're hesitant on one hand, however we'd still be close where we would be back to the room in a matter of a minute or two if needed.

Let me know your thoughts!

MKandyman

We left our 8 year old son in the room several times when we went to wine tastings, etc. He had instructions to not answer the door, go on the balcony, or leave the room. He did great. You know your kids and if you think they are responsible enough to handle it then I say go for it.

I think it's a matter of maturity level of the boys and your comfort level with it. I'm guessing you will get opinions all over the board on this one.

If I did it I'd be sure they knew not to open the door for anyone and to contact you if they need anything. I'd also probably be sure I checked in on them regularly and didn't let both of us parents get carried away with adult beverages. :rotfl2:

We gave our son self check-out privelages at 9. Since I felt comfortable with him coming and going from the Club I also felt comfortable with him staying in the room alone.

We always had him put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door so that the room host would know not to go into the room.

I think at that age they'll be fine. Make sure they know how to use the wave phone to reach you if necessary. Order room service and teach them how to use the remote in case they wake up and are bored.

Hi everyone. I'm booked on a Western Caribbean cruise this fall with my wife and twin sons (10 1/2 yo at the time of the cruise). With all the fun and sun, I'm anticipating my kids falling asleep at night between 9:30 and 10pm each night, however my wife and I likely won't be ready to turn in at that point. We'd like to possibly go down to one of the bars and spend some time together. However we're unsure about leaving the kids, even if they know we're going and could contact us on the wave phones or text on the Disney app.

I'm curious if any past cruisers have any thoughts or experiences with this. We're hesitant on one hand, however we'd still be close where we would be back to the room in a matter of a minute or two if needed.

Let me know your thoughts!

MKandyman
Me and my brother are free to roam and be by ourselves with on occasion texting our parents. We are 14 and 11. It does come down to maturity and if your kids can handle it. Me and my brother fight very often but not so much on cruise because of all the fun. Ive given him a bloody nose on a cruise before. If they get along well and are mature enough, go for it!

I haven't cruised yet, but I would be fine with that for my 9 y/o, as long as he knew how to use the phone to reach us if needed. He stays home alone now for up to a couple of hours, and on the ship we could actually get to him quicker than if we were running errands back home. It's not an option for us b/c we also have a 4 y/o, but I would totally do it if it was just him.

10 year olds would be fine in the room alone. But as mentioned, don't be surprised if they are in the kids clubs until close. On our first cruise, my DD was 11yo. She was in the clubs until they closed at midnight almost every night.

I agree that if your sons are fine with being by themselves and understand they cannot open the door to anyone and would have to contact you if need be and not leave, it will be fine. We let our 11 yr old daughter and 7 yr old twins eat room service (we waited for it to be delivered ) and watch movies while we went to Palo. Just be sure you place the do not disturb sign on the door bc i know housekeeping is not allowed to be in a room with a minor. The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is what if they lock the door with the deadbolt and fall asleep. .. will you be able to wake them up somehow to get back in? Otherwise, i.think it would be fine.

I think the rule of thumb would be if you leave them alone for short periods at home it would be fine to do the same in your stateroom. I agree, that they may not be sleeping as early on the cruise.

I would think as long as you are comfortable leaving them home as you dash to the grocery store/run errand they will be ok with you away from the cabin.

The clubs are open pretty late and I think do PJ parties so don't rule out that they may want to be there late while you and the DW hang out for adult time!

I agree that if your sons are fine with being by themselves and understand they cannot open the door to anyone and would have to contact you if need be and not leave, it will be fine. We let our 11 yr old daughter and 7 yr old twins eat room service (we waited for it to be delivered ) and watch movies while we went to Palo. Just be sure you place the do not disturb sign on the door bc i know housekeeping is not allowed to be in a room with a minor. The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is what if they lock the door with the deadbolt and fall asleep. .. will you be able to wake them up somehow to get back in? Otherwise, i.think it would be fine.

That happened to me on my first Disney cruise on the Wonder in 2004. My then 10-year-old neice deadbolted the door and immediately fell asleep. I couldn't wake her so, I had to go to guest services. By the time I made it back to our room, there was an officer coming up to meet me. Checked my id and let me in. No problem. That little girl fell asleep. In less than 10 minutes!

Show them how to use wave phones if needed, carry yours with volume up. Hang the do not disturb sign. My opinion. Not sure legality wise on the open seas, but almost old enough to stay home alone in some staes I believe.

That happened to me on my first Disney cruise on the Wonder in 2004. My then 10-year-old neice deadbolted the door and immediately fell asleep. I couldn't wake her so, I had to go to guest services. By the time I made it back to our room, there was an officer coming up to meet me. Checked my id and let me in. No problem. That little girl fell asleep. In less than 10 minutes!

I've always wondered how they would open a deadbolted stateroom (or hotel room) door! Do you know how they did it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter