• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just found out son has peanut and tree nut allergy

Not everyone is inconsiderate I well most definitely avoid eating peanut butter even though that is my go to if it ment saving someone's life
I don't think anyone is saying you (and other guests) should not eat PB, just be aware of washing your hands. As an adult you probably aren't walking around with it smeared on your hands and face anyway :).

Enjoy your vacation!

I usually carry around wipes and clean the surface where my son eats. In the plane, I also wipe down his seat handles and the touch screen for movie playing. We have to make sure to wash our hands before eating. just an extra tip when traveling with allergies

Just curious what kind of wipes do you think work best?

I don't think anyone is saying you (and other guests) should not eat PB, just be aware of washing your hands. As an adult you probably aren't walking around with it smeared on your hands and face anyway :).

Enjoy your vacation!
We don't have to pretend. The post she replied to specifically called out one group, picky eaters, for not caring about one group, those with nut allergies. It's unreasonable to expect guests to not eat someone else's potential allergens. And unfortunately, it's unreasonable to expect people to wash their hands. People eat snacks, and sometimes meals in lines, they're not going to get out to wash their hands. Disney can't even make people wash their hands after using the bathroom, after sneezing, or at all. If someone could react to something in line, they need to take personal responsibility and not touch surfaces, not touch their face or anywhere that can react, and wash their own hands. Walking around thinking everyone else is the park is aware of washing their hands when you're worried about coming in contact with an allergen is a recipe for disaster. The same goes for a compromised immune system. There are lots of things on park surfaces people just shouldn't be touching.

That cake pictured was ten inches, three layers. Vanilla with custard filling and vanilla buttercream. It was a custom cake, not one of the allergy safe cakes listed on the website. Just email the Contemporary and detail your allergy needs. They are very accommodating. You won't be able to have any chocolate decorations on the cake--like mouse ears. I've also had safe cakes made at Animal Kingdom Lodge and at through the Yacht and Beach Club for Illuminations dessert parties. If you are ever looking for a big splurge, you can have a dessert party during Illuminations where everything will be nut safe. That would cost about $500 and it's absolutely mind blowing!

Thanks again for this great info! After a week of phone tag I was finally able to place my peanut and tree nut safe cake order this morning. I am so excited to surprise DS!!! Chef Brian at the Contemporary was wonderful to work with and very responsive via e-mail. It just took a long time to actually talk to someone to place the order. I can't wait to see (and eat!) the cake next week!

Thanks again for the suggestion and info!!!!

Just curious what kind of wipes do you think work best?

The type of wipe really doesn't matter all that much. You don't need antibacterial or anything as it doesn't kill the proteins it just removes them. We've always just used sensitive baby wipes, but some have a little more texture to them that might help "scrub" things like oils away better.

we did have a grandson react at WDW but never at a restaurant it was in a ride line no where near eating. so I stand by saying be prepared for nuts anywhere as others are allowed to bring snacks and a lot contain peanut butter. people with picky eaters will not think about nut allergies of others

FWIW, it's not just picky eaters. I have 3 kids with a rare and life threatening food allergy condition and dozens of triggers. My twins practically survive on nuts as it's one of their few safe foods. No grains, no milk, no egg, no soy, no legumes, various veggies, seeds, and fruits. Their milk and safe flour are almond and they eat lots of pecans and almond butter. So when we travel we take a lot of nut products with us. My oldest is less restricted, but from extreme delays in being able to eat anything he has major textural issues. Peanut butter is one of the few things I know he can and will eat. We try to be conscious of cleaning up their hands after eating anyhow, but in a world where at least 85% of what people are eating they are allergic to, I get frustrated sometimes with the focus on nut allergies and how those who eat nuts need to be extremely cautious and aware of everyone else, but nobody is worried about how the sticky strawberry Popsicle their 2 year old is covered in and spreading everywhere could make my child seriously ill. But yes you are right, when people don't have allergies they don't worry about what they eat, where they spread it, share it, etc. In my dream world everyone would just be careful about foods in general, but that's highly unlikely.

To your point of trace potentially being anywhere, yes that's definitely the case for nuts and just about any other allergen.

Thanks again for this great info! After a week of phone tag I was finally able to place my peanut and tree nut safe cake order this morning. I am so excited to surprise DS!!! Chef Brian at the Contemporary was wonderful to work with and very responsive via e-mail. It just took a long time to actually talk to someone to place the order. I can't wait to see (and eat!) the cake next week!

Thanks again for the suggestion and info!!!!

You will not be disappointed. We've had a number of cakes made by Chef Brian and they took great care with my son's allergies. They are always gorgeous and delicious. Enjoy!

Baby wipes will do.

We use clorox wipes because they have more "grit" than regular wipes that are made for wiping skin not surfaces. We also cover airline seats with disposable seat covers. The antibacterial fighting properties are a bonus for us to remove germs, who wants to get sick? I have 3 kids, 2 who have severe food allergies to 5 different foods. We fly and visit Disney 3 to 4 times a year because its the only place I don't have to worry about cooking.

FWIW, it's not just picky eaters. I have 3 kids with a rare and life threatening food allergy condition and dozens of triggers. My twins practically survive on nuts as it's one of their few safe foods. No grains, no milk, no egg, no soy, no legumes, various veggies, seeds, and fruits. Their milk and safe flour are almond and they eat lots of pecans and almond butter. So when we travel we take a lot of nut products with us. My oldest is less restricted, but from extreme delays in being able to eat anything he has major textural issues. Peanut butter is one of the few things I know he can and will eat. We try to be conscious of cleaning up their hands after eating anyhow, but in a world where at least 85% of what people are eating they are allergic to, I get frustrated sometimes with the focus on nut allergies and how those who eat nuts need to be extremely cautious and aware of everyone else, but nobody is worried about how the sticky strawberry Popsicle their 2 year old is covered in and spreading everywhere could make my child seriously ill. But yes you are right, when people don't have allergies they don't worry about what they eat, where they spread it, share it, etc. In my dream world everyone would just be careful about foods in general, but that's highly unlikely.

To your point of trace potentially being anywhere, yes that's definitely the case for nuts and just about any other allergen.

Oddly enough it's not that we don't care as a whole it's we are not aware honestly I did not know about peanut allergies till 5 years ago

Oddly enough it's not that we don't care as a whole it's we are not aware honestly I did not know about peanut allergies till 5 years ago
Don't feel bad. Actual diagnosed peanut allergies are less than 1% of the population. Many may not even say anything because they're not so severe to be impacted by others eating it near them outdoors. Considering the small percentage or time people spend eating outside of their own homes, it's possible many people never encouter it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter