• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just found out son has peanut and tree nut allergy

The donuts from the Joffrey's coffee kiosks are nut safe. It's one of the only places dd can eat a donut.

Really? I didn't know this, I am so excited!! I am an adult with a peanut/ tree nut allergy (I only developed it 8 years ago) and definitely miss having an occasional donut. So excited to try one!

Really? I didn't know this, I am so excited!! I am an adult with a peanut/ tree nut allergy (I only developed it 8 years ago) and definitely miss having an occasional donut. So excited to try one!
Yes, you can see for yourself. They provide a binder with full ingredient list and possible may contain list. Enjoy! They are one of my daughter's greatest pleasures.

Yes, you can see for yourself. They provide a binder with full ingredient list and possible may contain list. Enjoy! They are one of my daughter's greatest pleasures.

Thanks again! I probably never would have thought to check, just assumed they weren't safe

Oh just remembered that the Contemporary Bakery team makes cakes for the Wilderness Lodge. They will make a custom cake for you that is nut safe. Here is their email

wdw.contemporary.cake.order@disney.com

You could get a cake made for your trip. I have done this many times. That way dd has something really special.

View attachment 256331

We had this one made in 2015. Only $23 dollars. An amazing deal!

Can you tell me a little more about ordering your nut safe cake? I looked on the cake thread and the "allergy free" cakes it links to have a "made in facility warning". Did you just e-mail the Contemporary bakery and ask for a nut safe cake? Do you know what size/type your pictures cake is? It looks perfect!

I hadn't thought I would be able to get a nut safe cake but I would love to surprise DS! He has had a really rough year and this would be a fun, yummy and relatively inexpensive surprise.

Thanks so much!

Can you tell me a little more about ordering your nut safe cake? I looked on the cake thread and the "allergy free" cakes it links to have a "made in facility warning". Did you just e-mail the Contemporary bakery and ask for a nut safe cake? Do you know what size/type your pictures cake is? It looks perfect!

I hadn't thought I would be able to get a nut safe cake but I would love to surprise DS! He has had a really rough year and this would be a fun, yummy and relatively inexpensive surprise.

Thanks so much!
That cake pictured was ten inches, three layers. Vanilla with custard filling and vanilla buttercream. It was a custom cake, not one of the allergy safe cakes listed on the website. Just email the Contemporary and detail your allergy needs. They are very accommodating. You won't be able to have any chocolate decorations on the cake--like mouse ears. I've also had safe cakes made at Animal Kingdom Lodge and at through the Yacht and Beach Club for Illuminations dessert parties. If you are ever looking for a big splurge, you can have a dessert party during Illuminations where everything will be nut safe. That would cost about $500 and it's absolutely mind blowing!

I am thinking maybe since he never had them he wont care that he cant have them because he wont know what they taste like? And someone did mention Dole Whip may be safe for him. Im going to look into maybe making something similar to mickey rice krispie treats at home. I have to look into if he can have that cereal and marshmallows.

Pineapple Dole Whip is top eight allergen-free, though it does have a coconut-based ingredient. As someone anaphylactic to milk, tree nuts, peanuts, and seafood, which cuts out most dessert and snacks, pineapple Dole Whip is one of my go to snacks at WDW.

The Snack Safely website ( https://snacksafely.com/ ) has lots of info about snacks and specific products and manufacturers, which should give you some ideas for at home and travel.

I like the Enjoy Life brand (check out their website, they have more than just cookies and chocolate chips !!). At Disney restaurants, if nothing else they often will have Enjoy Life cookies as an allergy-friendly dessert option.

For MNSSHP, there will likely be some safe treats mixed in the bins at the treat stations -- e.g. when we went there were Skittles; I ended up with lots and lots and lots of little Skittles bags ;-) However, they are mixed in with the packages of everything else, so you would have to guage your comfort level on that.

But what MK also does is have the ability to get allergy-friendly treats (food and non-food) from guest services. In the past, you woudl go through the treat lines and get your bag of goodies, then trade in the not safe goodies for the safe ones at guest services. last year, they did a new way -- you can stop at guest services at the beginning of the evening and get a special Teal treat bag [may also be available at some treat stations], which signifies "food allergies" (see the Teal Pumpkin campaign by FARE). At the treat stations they will then give you a teal coin. You trade in the coins for the allergy friendly treats at guest services. It is not clear what they will do this year.

FYI, the FARE website has lots of great info for managing food allergies: https://www.foodallergy.org/

SW

Oh no - I'm so sorry to hear your son had a reaction and has a severe peanut allergy. We went through the same thing with our youngest one - he had a bad reaction to eating a bit of peanut butter when he was 27 months old. I remember what a nightmare that was! He was also diagnosed with type 1 diabetes just the month before (those 2 things had no relation to each other - please don't think your child is more likely to get type 1 diabetes). Just saying it was a stressful time.

My son is 15 now so much has changed but he still avoids all peanuts and tree nuts. His only reactions so far were actually 2 reactions when he was 2 years old and that was it - thankfully! He is allowed now to eat things "made in a facility" but cannot eat "may contain." We visited WDW shortly after his first reaction and we still go there often. I realize you want to avoid "made in a facility" at this point (and perhaps always) so your experience will be different than ours but...
  • always let them know at QS or TS meals of your child's allergy - they will get someone to help you
  • my son has never had a problem substituting one item for another at a QS place if the items were more or less similar - QS chefs have also made special meals for him
  • Raglan Road - the only place that has EVER screwed up and served my son a nut - then tried to deny it calling the almond a "large oat" - then finally admitted it - I still hate that place and I don't use the word hate very often.....they wouldn't even respond to written complaints. Feel free to go in and give them a finger for me - I do every time I walk by it - lol (ok not an obvious finger as there are kids about....)
  • I also wouldn't eat at the Mexico TS place in Epcot - but it was awhile ago we were there.
  • desserts are the hardest things to find that are safe but your child is young. Honestly at that age they are happy with simple things and he was just as excited about a lollipop or Hershey bar as a triple layer chocolate cake with mocha ganache. We always made sure he had something for dessert even if we needed to bring it. He enjoyed some of the items that were safe from the ice cream carts at WDW (itskadoozie popsicles were his favorite!)
  • one thing I've learned I cannot stress enough is that - some chefs will tell you that "all of these X items on the buffet are safe except this one or two" and you may eat there the next night and a different chef gives you different guidance as in "we really don't know if these are safe because they are not made here" and so on. We've learned to ask a few pointed questions about items that we trust less (usually desserts). At TS places the chefs are often willing to make something safe if you're not comfortable
  • some restaurants on the property are not run by Disney - I think some of the Epcot ones and not sure which others. We usually have better luck at the Disney ones although T-Rex has always been great in Disney Springs
  • I'll admit that I eat desserts and things he cannot have at times- when he was young I didn't do it in front of him. I always make sure he has something awesome to eat though - pretty much made that my mission
  • If you can locate Chef TJ - he is - hands down - the absolute best chef you will ever meet for allergies. He will make your child's meal something the other diners sitting around will literally stop and stare and wish they had and wonder what child movie star that is who is getting all of this amazing food...haha! We just saw him last month and he's at Trail's End at Fort Wilderness. He is worth hunting down. Last month he made William a dessert that was at least a foot tall - I wish you could see the picture! :)
Best of luck to you - it isn't easy but you'll navigate through it and Disney is overall fantastic about allergies - they do take it very seriously.

A lot of candy that is safe in the regular size is made on common equipment in the smaller fun size for Halloween. Until he's older and you can make sure he's not going to touch his face after touching candy wrappers, I'd probably stick with just bins that have allergy safe items or make sure you handle the trick or treating bag.

There's an alternative to PB that I use (also have a nut allergy) called WOWbutter, it's delicious. If all else fails, stick some "PB"Js in the diaper bag so you know he'll have at least some safe food. That being said, I also avoid 'Ohana as well as the bakery in France. Never had an issue at any other sit-down restaurant I've been to at Disney, the chefs have all been wonderful at accommodating all of my other allergies as well.

Lots of good tips and suggestions already but I just wanted to let you know that you are in good hands at WDW. Disney has made traveling with allergies a breeze. My son has a severe nut allergy and I am severely allergic to cold cuts and a spice called Anise. We've been going to Disney for over 10 years and never had an incident. The chefs have all been wonderful and even when we go to buffets, the chef brings out a plate from the kitchen just for us to make sure there are no risk of cross contamination. There are allergy free menus at each restaurant now so need to speak to the chefs anymore unless at a buffet. I suggest you indicate a peanut allergy on your ADR beforehand. When you get to the restaurant mention the allergy to the hostess.

When planning a WDW trip, I always pre-order breakfast items and snacks from Garden Grocer and get it delivered to the room on our arrival day. I usually get Multigrain Cheerios which are nut free and Enjoy Life cookies and some fruit, cheese and drinkable yogurts. I usually pack in my carry-on some granola bars. I like Made Good granola bars which are nut free and healthy too.

There are tons of snack stands that serve nut free items in each WDW too so no need to panic. My son loves dole whip and he was even able to eat churros last time. I checked the allergy book at the snack stand and they were free of nuts! Always ask to check the book as ingredients change. Disney restaurants always have ice cream sundays for the boys that are peanut/nut free. I suggest you look at the menu before booking any ADR to see if there are a lot of nuts present in the restaurant. If so I personally would avoid the place and pick another restaurant, there is so much choice at Disney.

Last trip, we attended the MNSSHP and my son got a bag full of peanut/nut free candies. He got "Sufsweets" gummies and jelly beans, "Enjoy life" chocolate bars and something else (cannot remember). He was a happy camper and it was a fun party to attend.

I know what you are going through. It seems so overwhelming at first when your child is diagnosed. Even though I have food allergies, when my son had his first allergy, I felt so helpless. I lived with food allergies since I,m a kid but still, when its your kid, it is still hard to accept. Once you find the brand names that are safe for him to eat, it will get easier and you'll feel less overwhelmed. My son is now 10 y.o. and he carries his Epipen around with him and is really careful before eating any food. He usually asks to read labels at his friend's house. It wasn't that easy when he was younger, because I had to be the one looking out for him. I called ahead before he went to birthday parties. I had to show others how to use the Epipen when I left my son anywhere. Family had to change how they cooked and handled nuts in their homes if they wanted to babysit. Bakeries are to be avoided so I always bake a cake and bring dessert when we are invited anywhere to make sure my son can have dessert. It takes more effort but in a way, its not something that cannot be prevented. The Epipen is extremely effective at stopping an allergy. I always told my son, accidents might happen and you might get an allergy one day, that is why the important thing is to have an Epipen on you at all times. If you have the Epipen, your safe.

Don't worry about travelling with a nut allergy. We have traveled all over the world with the boys and never had any problems. It just takes a little more planning and more effort but its doable. I am extra careful, carry food in my luggage that I know we can eat. Always call a restaurant before going to make sure it is allergy safe and speak to the chef once there. Nut allergies are so common now that everyone is aware.

Hope that helps.

Have a wonderful trip!

Lots of good tips and suggestions already but I just wanted to let you know that you are in good hands at WDW. Disney has made traveling with allergies a breeze. My son has a severe nut allergy and I am severely allergic to cold cuts and a spice called Anise. We've been going to Disney for over 10 years and never had an incident. The chefs have all been wonderful and even when we go to buffets, the chef brings out a plate from the kitchen just for us to make sure there are no risk of cross contamination. There are allergy free menus at each restaurant now so need to speak to the chefs anymore unless at a buffet. I suggest you indicate a peanut allergy on your ADR beforehand. When you get to the restaurant mention the allergy to the hostess.

When planning a WDW trip, I always pre-order breakfast items and snacks from Garden Grocer and get it delivered to the room on our arrival day. I usually get Multigrain Cheerios which are nut free and Enjoy Life cookies and some fruit, cheese and drinkable yogurts. I usually pack in my carry-on some granola bars. I like Made Good granola bars which are nut free and healthy too.

There are tons of snack stands that serve nut free items in each WDW too so no need to panic. My son loves dole whip and he was even able to eat churros last time. I checked the allergy book at the snack stand and they were free of nuts! Always ask to check the book as ingredients change. Disney restaurants always have ice cream sundays for the boys that are peanut/nut free. I suggest you look at the menu before booking any ADR to see if there are a lot of nuts present in the restaurant. If so I personally would avoid the place and pick another restaurant, there is so much choice at Disney.

Last trip, we attended the MNSSHP and my son got a bag full of peanut/nut free candies. He got "Sufsweets" gummies and jelly beans, "Enjoy life" chocolate bars and something else (cannot remember). He was a happy camper and it was a fun party to attend.

I know what you are going through. It seems so overwhelming at first when your child is diagnosed. Even though I have food allergies, when my son had his first allergy, I felt so helpless. I lived with food allergies since I,m a kid but still, when its your kid, it is still hard to accept. Once you find the brand names that are safe for him to eat, it will get easier and you'll feel less overwhelmed. My son is now 10 y.o. and he carries his Epipen around with him and is really careful before eating any food. He usually asks to read labels at his friend's house. It wasn't that easy when he was younger, because I had to be the one looking out for him. I called ahead before he went to birthday parties. I had to show others how to use the Epipen when I left my son anywhere. Family had to change how they cooked and handled nuts in their homes if they wanted to babysit. Bakeries are to be avoided so I always bake a cake and bring dessert when we are invited anywhere to make sure my son can have dessert. It takes more effort but in a way, its not something that cannot be prevented. The Epipen is extremely effective at stopping an allergy. I always told my son, accidents might happen and you might get an allergy one day, that is why the important thing is to have an Epipen on you at all times. If you have the Epipen, your safe.

Don't worry about travelling with a nut allergy. We have traveled all over the world with the boys and never had any problems. It just takes a little more planning and more effort but its doable. I am extra careful, carry food in my luggage that I know we can eat. Always call a restaurant before going to make sure it is allergy safe and speak to the chef once there. Nut allergies are so common now that everyone is aware.

Hope that helps.

Have a wonderful trip!
we did have a grandson react at WDW but never at a restaurant it was in a ride line no where near eating. so I stand by saying be prepared for nuts anywhere as others are allowed to bring snacks and a lot contain peanut butter. people with picky eaters will not think about nut allergies of others

we did have a grandson react at WDW but never at a restaurant it was in a ride line no where near eating. so I stand by saying be prepared for nuts anywhere as others are allowed to bring snacks and a lot contain peanut butter. people with picky eaters will not think about nut allergies of others
Do you restrict your grandson's diet to exclude other allergens because others are allergic to things other than nuts? Unless you're excluding all possible allergens from your diets, you can't expect others to do the same. It's just as likely that someone ate nuts served in the parks and didn't wash their hands before the next ride. Does your entire family wash their hands after every meal, snack or bite of food? The only thing you can control is not touching surfaces and not touching yourself or each other after touching surfaces without first washing hands.

Do you restrict your grandson's diet to exclude other allergens because others are allergic to things other than nuts? Unless you're excluding all possible allergens from your diets, you can't expect others to do the same. It's just as likely that someone ate nuts served in the parks and didn't wash their hands before the next ride. Does your entire family wash their hands after every meal, snack or bite of food? The only thing you can control is not touching surfaces and not touching yourself or each other after touching surfaces without first washing hands.
yes we washed hands a lot but he is also special needs and a flapper and 9 years old when this happened. I just tell this story to warn other parents that it is not just restaurants that you have to worry about.

Pineapple Dole Whip is top eight allergen-free, though it does have a coconut-based ingredient. As someone anaphylactic to milk, tree nuts, peanuts, and seafood, which cuts out most dessert and snacks, pineapple Dole Whip is one of my go to snacks at WDW.

The Snack Safely website ( https://snacksafely.com/ ) has lots of info about snacks and specific products and manufacturers, which should give you some ideas for at home and travel.

I like the Enjoy Life brand (check out their website, they have more than just cookies and chocolate chips !!). At Disney restaurants, if nothing else they often will have Enjoy Life cookies as an allergy-friendly dessert option.

For MNSSHP, there will likely be some safe treats mixed in the bins at the treat stations -- e.g. when we went there were Skittles; I ended up with lots and lots and lots of little Skittles bags ;-) However, they are mixed in with the packages of everything else, so you would have to guage your comfort level on that.

But what MK also does is have the ability to get allergy-friendly treats (food and non-food) from guest services. In the past, you woudl go through the treat lines and get your bag of goodies, then trade in the not safe goodies for the safe ones at guest services. last year, they did a new way -- you can stop at guest services at the beginning of the evening and get a special Teal treat bag [may also be available at some treat stations], which signifies "food allergies" (see the Teal Pumpkin campaign by FARE). At the treat stations they will then give you a teal coin. You trade in the coins for the allergy friendly treats at guest services. It is not clear what they will do this year.

FYI, the FARE website has lots of great info for managing food allergies: https://www.foodallergy.org/

SW

Wow that is all great info, thank you so much! I just found out about the snacksafely.com and found Philly Swirl popsicles that my Walmart carries are safe!! Like I said i know he is still small so he does not need all the sweets yet, but my husband and myself are obviously going nut free as well so its good to find things we can enjoy at home and Disney as well.

Oh no - I'm so sorry to hear your son had a reaction and has a severe peanut allergy. We went through the same thing with our youngest one - he had a bad reaction to eating a bit of peanut butter when he was 27 months old. I remember what a nightmare that was! He was also diagnosed with type 1 diabetes just the month before (those 2 things had no relation to each other - please don't think your child is more likely to get type 1 diabetes). Just saying it was a stressful time.

My son is 15 now so much has changed but he still avoids all peanuts and tree nuts. His only reactions so far were actually 2 reactions when he was 2 years old and that was it - thankfully! He is allowed now to eat things "made in a facility" but cannot eat "may contain." We visited WDW shortly after his first reaction and we still go there often. I realize you want to avoid "made in a facility" at this point (and perhaps always) so your experience will be different than ours but...
  • always let them know at QS or TS meals of your child's allergy - they will get someone to help you
  • my son has never had a problem substituting one item for another at a QS place if the items were more or less similar - QS chefs have also made special meals for him
  • Raglan Road - the only place that has EVER screwed up and served my son a nut - then tried to deny it calling the almond a "large oat" - then finally admitted it - I still hate that place and I don't use the word hate very often.....they wouldn't even respond to written complaints. Feel free to go in and give them a finger for me - I do every time I walk by it - lol (ok not an obvious finger as there are kids about....)
  • I also wouldn't eat at the Mexico TS place in Epcot - but it was awhile ago we were there.
  • desserts are the hardest things to find that are safe but your child is young. Honestly at that age they are happy with simple things and he was just as excited about a lollipop or Hershey bar as a triple layer chocolate cake with mocha ganache. We always made sure he had something for dessert even if we needed to bring it. He enjoyed some of the items that were safe from the ice cream carts at WDW (itskadoozie popsicles were his favorite!)
  • one thing I've learned I cannot stress enough is that - some chefs will tell you that "all of these X items on the buffet are safe except this one or two" and you may eat there the next night and a different chef gives you different guidance as in "we really don't know if these are safe because they are not made here" and so on. We've learned to ask a few pointed questions about items that we trust less (usually desserts). At TS places the chefs are often willing to make something safe if you're not comfortable
  • some restaurants on the property are not run by Disney - I think some of the Epcot ones and not sure which others. We usually have better luck at the Disney ones although T-Rex has always been great in Disney Springs
  • I'll admit that I eat desserts and things he cannot have at times- when he was young I didn't do it in front of him. I always make sure he has something awesome to eat though - pretty much made that my mission
  • If you can locate Chef TJ - he is - hands down - the absolute best chef you will ever meet for allergies. He will make your child's meal something the other diners sitting around will literally stop and stare and wish they had and wonder what child movie star that is who is getting all of this amazing food...haha! We just saw him last month and he's at Trail's End at Fort Wilderness. He is worth hunting down. Last month he made William a dessert that was at least a foot tall - I wish you could see the picture! :)
Best of luck to you - it isn't easy but you'll navigate through it and Disney is overall fantastic about allergies - they do take it very seriously.

Wow Thank you so much!! Maybe we will see TJ when we eat at Trails End for dinner!! Thank you for making me feel better, you have been through it so you really understand. Great Info!!

Hope that helps.

Have a wonderful trip!

Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement, I really appreciate everyones input. I am very excited for MNSSHP this year because last year he was only 7 months old and had no idea, this year should be fun. And knowing that we can get special nut free items makes me feel so much better.

I was just on the Garden Grocer site, looking into getting bread, milk, sliced cheese, fruit, cheerios,water bottles and diapers. Im gonna attempt this weekend to finalize my order and then figure out what i can pack in luggage. I have to remember the fridge in room is dorm size so i cant get too much lol.

Again thank you for all your comments, its good to hear from people that are in the same boat!

Not everyone is inconsiderate I well most definitely avoid eating peanut butter even though that is my go to if it ment saving someone's life

I usually carry around wipes and clean the surface where my son eats. In the plane, I also wipe down his seat handles and the touch screen for movie playing. We have to make sure to wash our hands before eating. just an extra tip when traveling with allergies

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter