Just found out son has peanut and tree nut allergy

DisneyDre

Mouseketeer
OK Im just gonna start off by saying I am very overwhelmed so this may be long winded, please be kind!

So about 2 months ago we found out the hard way that our son is allergic to peanuts. One bite of peanut butter and we landed in the ER. After going to an allergist and having blood work done they told us his severity to peanuts is 88%,so no peanuts or tree nuts for us! Crazy that we have Epi Pens now!

My son will only be 18 months when we head back to WDW this September (40 days away not that im counting) and we are still getting used to and learning about this allergy. My husband and I have been to WDW many many times and consider ourselves pros, but now we feel lost. Not only is our son so little, but he is a picky eater, so thinking about him eating at WDW is giving me anxiety! If he could he would live on grilled cheese and watermelon and gold fish cracker, lol.

We have dinning reservations at Be Our Guest, Chef Mickey's and Trails End. I did call back and have them make note of the allergy. We will be staying at Wilderness Lodge Villas ( I know they chnaged the name) and we usually eat at QS Roaring Fork while there.

So I guess what Im asking for is feed back on how do you feed a little one when he has such a severe allergy? All Ive done for the past 2 months is read labels at the grocery store and sooooo many things contain nuts or made in a factory where nuts are present. We dont eat out when we are home so im not used to going out and not knowing what or how food is prepped.

We also will attend MNSSHP, we have gone many times before but this time I think trick or treating is out of the question?? any thoughts?

Since we fly to WDW and take magical express we will not have a car so im not sure how to go about bringing food for him. I know i can pack some things, but im curious if anyone has used amazon to send food to WDW while you are there?? I feel bad that he cant have sweet treats while we are there, well I dont think he can. I also know at the Mercantile gift shop they have their little grocery section where I can find things. I have a feeling il have to figure out how to make our own grilled cheese while we are there!

Sorry for going on and on but like i said I am still learning about how to live with a food allergy. So any advice will be helpful. Any particular dinning locations or food items that are safe? How to get groceries while there? Amazon? What do you carry Epi Pens in? What kind of sanitize wipes do you use?

Like I said, please be kind, first time mom here that is a little, a lot , nervous!

take a deep breath Disney is one of the best place to go for food allergy they really do take care of you,

when you go to eat any where let them know he has a peanut allergy most of the time a manager will come out and talk to you about what he can and can not eat ( they used to have the ceft(SP?) come out but only do this is there is a lot of allergy )

as fair as caring the epi pen if you down load the app there is a free caring case that will hold 2 pens and room for things like Benidril

if you son is using a stroll I would stop at GR and see about getting it aged as a wheel chair this way you know it is a safe place for him and you will be less worried about cross contamination with CM touching another stroller and his when they move them.

as fair as wipes goes you can use any really to wipe down the table and chair he sites in.

I hope this helps

For MNSSHP don't count out trick or treating. In previous years they have had allergy friendly candies and non-food treats.

Disney actually sells a line of prepacked items that are 100% safe so look out for those if you want to get him a snack. Table service will always be better for allergies but quick service is possible.

How allergic is he meaning he has to actually digest a peanut or tree nut or are the powders also dangerous.

oh last year for MNSSHP they had specie bags for people with food allergy and I think you had to go to GR to get your candy exchanged or they might've had some safe candy at each stop that you would get. The closer to the party the more information will be out ( I think they do things a little different each year to make thing go smother, but as the PP said do not think he will not be able to do it he will

take a deep breath Disney is one of the best place to go for food allergy they really do take care of you,

as fair as caring the epi pen if you down load the app there is a free caring case that will hold 2 pens and room for things like Benidril

if you son is using a stroll I would stop at GR and see about getting it aged as a wheel chair this way you know it is a safe place for him and you will be less worried about cross contamination with CM touching another stroller and his when they move them.

thanks for all the feed back!

What is the app to download??

My son will be in his stroller from home, so what does a wheel chair tag do? im kind of confused?

My son will be in his stroller from home, so what does a wheel chair tag do? im kind of confused?

A wheel chair tag lets you bring it into lines. This could be benifitial if you need to keep him strapped in but it does not prevent a CM from possibly having to handle the stroller.

For MNSSHP don't count out trick or treating. In previous years they have had allergy friendly candies and non-food treats.

Disney actually sells a line of prepacked items that are 100% safe so look out for those if you want to get him a snack. Table service will always be better for allergies but quick service is possible.

How allergic is he meaning he has to actually digest a peanut or tree nut or are the powders also dangerous.

thanks for the info, had no idea they had line of prepacked items!
I belive the allergist said if its fresh cracked peanut that is bad as well because he could ingest the dusts which is not good. if that makes sense.

thanks for the info, had no idea they had line of prepacked items!
I belive the allergist said if its fresh cracked peanut that is bad as well because he could ingest the dusts which is not good. if that makes sense.

That makes sense. I'm sure you'll be learning a lot by September but also great to ask his allergist for suggestions on how much limitations to put on him. The big thing will be watching what he puts into his mouth. I wouldn't freak yourself out too much just donthe best to control what tou can. Also if for whatever reason you end up in an emergency situation with out his epi pen know first aid has an emergency one and is trained to administer so worst case scenario if you need it and don't have it or can't work it just run to first aid. Not the situation anyone wants to be in but definitely makes me feel at ease when I travel with my bff who needs one (who I yell at when he doesn't have).

As an adult with a tree nut allergy I can't do much more than confirm what everyone has said, Disney is the best place to go, they take it very seriously, they always send someone to the table either a manager or chef (side note as an introvert this is often horrible for me personally) to the table to talk to you about what your options are.

The only things I would add are

A. You can have amazon delivered to the resort there is a 5 dollar handling fee per box but it is easy enough to do especially if you want to just have a bunch of sanitizing wipes, snacks, etc, and stuff sent instead of trying to pack them.

B. Almost without fail if it is a buffet or table service restaurant where they bring out rolls, bread, etc, the bread has been processed through their bakery which is not a nut free facility, so if he is a picky eater with a love of carbs steer clear of bread basket. That being said they usually have some sort of allergy free bread option or cracker or something they offer to bring out for me.

I just searched my Epipen it is a green back ground and a yellow border at the top. there are a few net things in the app for you when you down load the app at the bottom it has offers click on this and then order my comolimetry case there are I think 3 or 4 to chose from ( or they mightiest send you what they have like they did for me)

the storer as a wheel chair is so he can take his stroller in line with him. You can not other wise this is good if corscontmition is a big worry as he can have his safe place to be. buy you will need to decide if this is something he needs to have if not then I would not do it.

I just searched my Epipen it is a green back ground and a yellow border at the top. there are a few net things in the app for you when you down load the app at the bottom it has offers click on this and then order my comolimetry case there are I think 3 or 4 to chose from ( or they mightiest send you what they have like they did for me)

the storer as a wheel chair is so he can take his stroller in line with him. You can not other wise this is good if corscontmition is a big worry as he can have his safe place to be. buy you will need to decide if this is something he needs to have if not then I would not do it.

ok i just tried but when i click to download from google play it says not available in my country??

You can have stuff shipped via Amazon and you can do a grocery delivery via Garden Grocer or someone else. They'll deliver to the resort and bell services delivers it to your room when you are checked in. They even keep cold stuff cold. We do it almost every time because my son needs to see the wrappers on things to confirm it's the same thing as home. Honestly, we started when they were little just so we didn't have to pack diapers but now we use it all the time.

Stroller as a wheelchair is a great idea because lines in particular can be easily contaminated. That will help keep him contained.

Oh - and don't stress if the only thing he ends up eating is goldfish and watermelon. I was stressed over the fact that my son ate only goldfish, cereal and bananas the first time we went until I realized that som parents are probably stressing over the fact that their child has only eaten mac and cheese and french fries for an entire week. It's one week - just focus on getting food into him!

the stroller as a wheelchair tag allows stroller in lines and building where strollers are usually not allowed. in lines will help keep your son from touching something that has been touched by a child who has had peanut butter which happened to us. you can find peanuts anywhere in park as food is allowed to be brought in and sold from carts not just where you expect to find them

As an adult with a tree nut allergy I can't do much more than confirm what everyone has said, Disney is the best place to go, they take it very seriously, they always send someone to the table either a manager or chef (side note as an introvert this is often horrible for me personally) to the table to talk to you about what your options are.

A. You can have amazon delivered to the resort there is a 5 dollar handling fee per box but it is easy enough to do especially if you want to just have a bunch of sanitizing wipes, snacks, etc, and stuff sent instead of trying to pack them.

B. Almost without fail if it is a buffet or table service restaurant where they bring out rolls, bread, etc, the bread has been processed through their bakery which is not a nut free facility, so if he is a picky eater with a love of carbs steer clear of bread basket. That being said they usually have some sort of allergy free bread option or cracker or something they offer to bring out for me.

thanks for the info

You can have stuff shipped via Amazon and you can do a grocery delivery via Garden Grocer or someone else. They'll deliver to the resort and bell services delivers it to your room when you are checked in. They even keep cold stuff cold. We do it almost every time because my son needs to see the wrappers on things to confirm it's the same thing as home. Honestly, we started when they were little just so we didn't have to pack diapers but now we use it all the time.

Stroller as a wheelchair is a great idea because lines in particular can be easily contaminated. That will help keep him contained.

Oh - and don't stress if the only thing he ends up eating is goldfish and watermelon. I was stressed over the fact that my son ate only goldfish, cereal and bananas the first time we went until I realized that som parents are probably stressing over the fact that their child has only eaten mac and cheese and french fries for an entire week. It's one week - just focus on getting food into him!

garden grocer, i will look into that as well thank you!! I also was hoping that maybe they would be a bit more reasonable in price then having to buy in gift shop, so il look into it. And thank you for making me feel better about what to have him eat, you are right its only a week, so as long as he eats something!

Have you been able to enjoy any ice cream or sweet treats?

Have you been able to enjoy any ice cream or sweet treats?
Table service restaurants like Beaches and Cream and The Plaza will do ice cream. The chef or manager takes a special order and the ice cream is scooped in a safe location. If you have a villa, you could bake. I bake brownies, cookies, cake. That way my daughter has treats too. She is quite happy with the ice cream.

If you are flying, tell your airline. They should let you preboard to wipe down the area, they may also ask people in the rows around you to refrain from eating nuts.

You'll get used to this. Disney is great with allergies. I'd do a sweep of your own home for nuts. Once your house is nut free, you will find that having a safe zone is freeing. At home we don't eat out. We have a few places we go. Disney is our happy place because we get to have fun meals like everyone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter