Inconsiderate Cruisers

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time cruiser here (this summer).
What is the proper protocol for a room service tray?
Is there a place to take it out yourself when coming and going?
I've never ordered room service before but have seen the trays in the hallways when staying at hotels.
Definitely gives a trashy feel to a nice hotel like the Disneyland Hotel as we are coming and going.
I was planning on trying room service on our cruise for breakfast a couple mornings.

As you can see in this thread, there are lots of different opinions on this. I travel a lot, and seeing trays left out in hotel hallways, even really nice hotels, is something to which I am accustomed. That having been said, the DCL hallways are a bit narrower than your average hotel's, so a tray left out tends to be more "in the way". While I think you are still within bounds to leave your tray outside (with the reasonable expectation that a CM will soon see and remove it), I personally would call to have them come remove it from your room.

Also can't stand the inconsiderate chair savers whether its in the theater or on deck.

I've been on 6 cruises and never had an issue with chair savers until this past cruise. My son liked the front left row of Buena Vista theater so we sat there each night. On one of those nights, probably wednesday, we took our usual seat and a lady behind us said "Oh I'm sorry but we have that row reserved" (not a single person was sitting in the row). I chuckled b/c I thought she was joking... but she wasnt joking. She asked us to move! I politely said "No, there is no one sitting here and this is where my son wants to sit. Plus you can't save seats." She huffed and puffed and made a big scene of moving herself and her daughter a row back and then tried to tell another family they couldnt sit in the row in front of them b/c it was saved. She got another "You can't save seats" response.

That lady glared at me every time she saw me on the following days. I just smiled and waved ;)

I've been on 6 cruises and never had an issue with chair savers until this past cruise. My son liked the front left row of Buena Vista theater so we sat there each night. On one of those nights, probably wednesday, we took our usual seat and a lady behind us said "Oh I'm sorry but we have that row reserved" (not a single person was sitting in the row). I chuckled b/c I thought she was joking... but she wasnt joking. She asked us to move! I politely said "No, there is no one sitting here and this is where my son wants to sit. Plus you can't save seats." She huffed and puffed and made a big scene of moving herself and her daughter a row back and then tried to tell another family they couldnt sit in the row in front of them b/c it was saved. She got another "You can't save seats" response.

That lady glared at me every time she saw me on the following days. I just smiled and waved ;)

Good for you. I literally cannot understand what goes on in mind of people who try to pull that.

On deck however, there are places to leave your dishes so they can be collected. Not that hard.

Every time we have eaten up on deck, there have been CMs running around cleaning up for people who are still seated as well as those who have departed. Others see this and assume that they don't have to clean up their stuff because there is a CM actively doing it.

We clean up our stuff if the CM doesn't get it first but I can see where people get the impression, right or wrong, that they don't have to.

Every time we have eaten up on deck, there have been CMs running around cleaning up for people who are still seated as well as those who have departed. Others see this and assume that they don't have to clean up their stuff because there is a CM actively doing it.

We clean up our stuff if the CM doesn't get it first but I can see where people get the impression, right or wrong, that they don't have to.

You make a good point, but at the same time, there are garbage cans - large, right in the middle of everything, with big signage - all over the place. They're not positioned as such for the CMs' use.

This topic intrigues be because I love to know what goes through peoples minds. First and foremost----No one is perfect! With that being said I do feel that many lack common courtesy. Many have the "I am on vacation and my family will do what we want." I think cruises and any Disney type vacations usually has more people around and therefore certain behaviors are more obvious. I have had many experiences on our 3 cruises that amaze me how rude people can be. But, I keep booking cruises.
My biggest pet peeve on the cruises, I have been on, has been more with what I perceive as bad parenting or lack of parenting. As a mother of 2 boys 15 & 10, I admit I am not perfect and there has been times that I was embarrassed at something my boys did. Specifically.....My sons & I were on the ferry to go to The Baths in Tortola, I was enjoying the ride until I noticed my 15 year old with his GoPro camera....He had it on a long pole (think selfie-stick) and had it behind us, between people seated in the back. OMG! I was mortified! I yelled at him, apologized to the people behind us and made him apologize. I can just imagine what they were thinking about my parenting!

This topic intrigues be because I love to know what goes through peoples minds. First and foremost----No one is perfect! With that being said I do feel that many lack common courtesy. Many have the "I am on vacation and my family will do what we want." I think cruises and any Disney type vacations usually has more people around and therefore certain behaviors are more obvious. I have had many experiences on our 3 cruises that amaze me how rude people can be. But, I keep booking cruises.
My biggest pet peeve on the cruises, I have been on, has been more with what I perceive as bad parenting or lack of parenting. As a mother of 2 boys 15 & 10, I admit I am not perfect and there has been times that I was embarrassed at something my boys did. Specifically.....My sons & I were on the ferry to go to The Baths in Tortola, I was enjoying the ride until I noticed my 15 year old with his GoPro camera....He had it on a long pole (think selfie-stick) and had it behind us, between people seated in the back. OMG! I was mortified! I yelled at him, apologized to the people behind us and made him apologize. I can just imagine what they were thinking about my parenting!
Thats funny. I could see my kids doing that and us reacting just that way. Kind of OT, but the first time we brought a go pro on a cruise, one of my sons (13 year old at the time) insisted on being the "hero" and taking over the camera. We said fine, because we thought it would be a great project for him. He had seen plenty of family movies on utube. We told him we wanted an iMovie of the family vacation when we got back. I noticed the second day that he was taking a lot of footage of the ocean and I reminded him that we were supposed to be in the movie too. He said don't worry im taking lots of family footage. When he showed us the imovie two months after returning home, we were not in the movie at all. Not one shot of his brothers or us (parents!). Unbelievable. We were actually shocked. It amazes me that you can tell your kids things, they say they are listening, and then they do the exact opposite. Our first child was not like this. Our first child just seemed to pick up on approriate behavior intuitively.

Last edited:
The biggest thing I saw was children running around unsupervised and knocking people over. One child knocked me down the stairs because he was running and instead of going around me or slowing down just pushed me. He was in a small group of other kids all under the age of 10 or so. I saw the little pack running around elsewhere during the week.

The biggest thing I saw was children running around unsupervised and knocking people over. One child knocked me down the stairs because he was running and instead of going around me or slowing down just pushed me. He was in a small group of other kids all under the age of 10 or so. I saw the little pack running around elsewhere during the week.
I'll never understand why people take a family vacation and then ignore their kids. I haven't seen it so much on the shorter cruises, but on my 7 night, I constantly saw kids running around unsupervised. Maybe people think that since it's a cruise ship, their kids can't be kidnapped? It really creeps me out.

Then again, I see the same thing at local parks. Parents texting or reading a book, while their kid falls off a play structure and cries until I go find the parent to tell them that their kid is crying. :rolleyes:

You should say something. Whenever kids try to push me out of the way or cut a line, etc., I always tell them calmly that they should not do that, or that their behavior is not acceptable. They almost always respond positively, if a bit embarrassed. When I was a kid, other adults always reprimanded us if we were doing something bad. (Not that I did much of anything bad, but more concerning manners etc.) Kids are not always conscious of their behavior and parents can't always be there every second. You are doing a child a favor when you remind them how to behave. It is different if the parent is there. Then it is up to them.

Hate the children in the adult area. I'll personally go inform the parents it's an adult only area. Surprisingly most are quite unaware that even though its an adult area- their children are not welcome. Go figure. I always stick my room service trays out in the hallway- we've left it in the room before and have had it sit in there for days, especially if theres cookies or something left on a plate we didn't finish. Sticking it outside the room and its never been out there for more than a few hours. Perhaps there's simply a lot of people ordering room service on these cruises, and y'all are overwhelmed with the sheer quantity of trays in the hallways more-so than the true "dirtiness" or whatever. :confused: Most room service trays I see are totally polished off.
Oh well. Also can't stand the inconsiderate chair savers whether its in the theater or on deck. Oh well! Still love cruising despite all these minor inconveniences, I can only imagine how much those poor CM's put up with ::eek:

Unaware, yeah right : )

The saving seats thing can go the other way also. We were on the Fantasy (before the show started) sitting in the back right of the theater. The theater was about 3/4's full. There are 4 of us, my daughter stopped to use the restroom before she sat down. A woman sat down right next to my son and when he said someone was sitting there she said no saving seats. Really?? I'm a real rule follower but ... what do you think??

The saving seats thing can go the other way also. We were on the Fantasy (before the show started) sitting in the back right of the theater. The theater was about 3/4's full. There are 4 of us, my daughter stopped to use the restroom before she sat down. A woman sat down right next to my son and when he said someone was sitting there she said no saving seats. Really?? I'm a real rule follower but ... what do you think??

For something like that, it shouldn't be a big deal. I think its the whole row for 1 family, that's now where near by.1 person who ran to the restroom or in my case get some candy for my wife whos type 1 diabetic, there shouldn't be a problem.

Not just a cruise thing but why do people need to stand right in front of the elevator doors blocking the folks that want to get off?

To me that is not saving a seat- that is someone going to the bathroom. And I see no problem with someone saving a couple of seats anyway. What is annoying is when people mark off large numbers of seats. Not cool.

Last edited:
To me that is not saving a seat- that is someone going to the bathroom. And I see no problem with someone saving a couple of seats anyway. What is annoying is when people mark of large numbers of seats. Not cool.

Agreed. With any family, it ought to be the reasonable expectation that someone may have left briefly to buy popcorn or go to the bathroom. To prevent awkward situations, I always make sure to make it very clear that that seat is taken, i.e. by asking someone from my family to spread out so that only one seat between us is free and something is placed on that. I don't see that in any way as being possessive or breaking the rules, it's just necessary, common sense to prevent a wonderful evening getting ruined by a misunderstanding (or someone else's lack of tact).

You should say something. Whenever kids try to push me out of the way or cut a line, etc., I always tell them calmly that they should not do that, or that their behavior is not acceptable. They almost always respond positively, if a bit embarrassed. When I was a kid, other adults always reprimanded us if we were doing something bad. (Not that I did much of anything bad, but more concerning manners etc.) Kids are not always conscious of their behavior and parents can't always be there every second. You are doing a child a favor when you remind them how to behave. It is different if the parent is there. Then it is up to them.

Oh I did. And was called a few inappropriate names in return.

My personal favorite are the parents that allow their children to run up and down the hallways outside of the staterooms yelling loudly at all hours of the morning and night. I was even awakened one morning at 3:58 a.m. by a young girl running up and down the hallway outside our door laughing loudly. Not sure what there is to do at that time of night or why she was out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter