Inconsiderate Cruisers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naterfan

Mouseketeer
Not sure if I'm just being a little too sensitive about this, but I felt embarrassed by the behavior of a great many of my fellow cruisers recently. There were so many people who simply couldn't be bothered to clean up their own messes.

Towels were being left everywhere. There are dirty towel bins around every pool, but so few people used them. Cups and dishes were left strewn around the ship as well. If it weren't for the CMs, there would be cups rolling all over the decks around the pools. My son, 8yrs, asked me why no one was cleaning up their own mess. My response? I reminded him of a conversation we'd had in the past discussing people who flicked cigarette butts out of their car windows. I told him the folks who chose not to clean up their messes were just like those folks in the car. I simply couldn't come up with a way to justify leaving a mess for someone else to clean, especially when trash receptacles and dirty towel bins were so close to hand.

A co-worker stated that those people were on vacation and that the stewards/deck hands were paid to keep the ship clean. Is that true? Is this behavior the norm?

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm just being a little too sensitive about this, but I felt embarrassed by the behavior of a great many of my fellow cruisers recently. There were so many people who simply couldn't be bothered to clean up their own messes.

Towels were being left everywhere. There are dirty towel bins around every pool, but so few people used them. Cups and dishes were left strewn around the ship as well. If it weren't for the CMs, there would be cups rolling all over the decks around the pools. My son, 8yrs, asked me why no one was cleaning up their own mess. My response? I reminded him of a conversation we'd had in the past discussing people who flicked cigarette butts out of their car windows. I told him the folks who chose not to clean up their messes were just like those folks in the car. I simply couldn't come up with a way to justify leaving a mess for someone else to clean, especially when trash receptacles and dirty towel bins were so close to hand.

A co-worker stated that those people were on vacation and that the stewards/deck hands were paid to keep the ship clean. Is that true? Is this behavior the norm?
I own a restaurant and in general people are inconsiderate and think just because they are paying for a meal they can leave whatever mess they want. Basic common courtesy line picking napkins up off the floor, pushing your chair back under the table are always neglected. I can't imagine what some houses must look like based on the messes I see on a daily basis.

I HATE people that can't pick up after themselves. No reason, zero! DCL does a great job of having trash cans and towel returns. Zero reason not to use them. I don't care if you are on vacation. I don't care if you feel that's what the CM's job is. Put yourself in their shoes. How would you feel if it was you cleaning up after dirty people? What the heck are these parents teaching their children?

The way my wife and I make it through these situations is we just tell each other we're the only ones onboard lol. She experienced a very rude woman last cruise at Cabanas. My wife saw a child lick one of the spoons at the buffet in one of the items at breakfast so she alerted a cast member so they could swap out the food. While she was there waiting a woman said to her "Could you move?!?" Not like there aren't 2 or 3 other serving stations of the same thing. For the most part we find the people on the cruise friendly but there are certainly some "entitled" people on there that certainly must've paid more than the rest of us.

I see it every cruise. It is sad. We always put our towels in the bin. It would also make finding an open lounger so much easier if you knew the lounger was really empty with left behind towels on it or if the people were just in the pool. Put your towels in the bin...it does not take much effort at all.

We just spent 3 weeks in a hotel in our home town (Netflix was filming a new series at our house and we were displaced for a bit) and I was amazed at breakfast how many people left their dirty plates and food on their tables (this was self service breakfast, not sit down and order). There were trash bins all around and an area to drop off dirty dishes plainly in view. We became very friendly with the breakfast attendant in those 3 weeks and she said it was amazing how many people just left messes. I was also amazed at how many adults came down to breakfast in their pj's and slippers. Yes, it was a Marriott Residence Inn and many long term guests but I couldn't ever come down to a public place in my PJs and slippers. Some kids were even barefoot and they were told they could not enter the food areas without footwear (thank goodness).

MJ

Last edited:
I see it every cruise. It is sad. We always put our towels in the bin. It would also make finding an open lounger so much easier if you knew the lounger was really empty with left behind towels on it or if the people were just in the pool. Put your towels in the bin...it does not take much effort at all.

We just spent 3 weeks in a hotel in our home town (Netflix was filming a new series at our house and we were displaced for a bit) and I was amazed at breakfast how many people left their dirty plates and food on their tables (this was self service breakfast, not sit down and order). There were trash bins all around and an area to drop off dirty dishes plainly in view. We became very friendly with the breakfast attendant in those 3 weeks and she said it was amazing how many people just left messes. I was also amazed at how many adults came down to breakfast in their pj's and slippers. Yes, it was a Marriott Residence Inn and many long term guests but I couldn't ever come down to a public place in my PJs and slippers. Some kids were even barefoot and they were told they could not enter the food areas without footwear (thank goodness).

MJ

I agree that some people are thoughtless.

But, the interesting part of your post was the filming part. Did they/will they remodel your home? I hope that dastardly Frank Underwood didn't stop by!

But, the interesting part of your post was the filming part. Did they/will they remodel your home? I hope that dastardly Frank Underwood didn't stop by!

I too am intrigued! Is your home unique? I can't help but wonder how something like that comes about. Very curious! :)

Back to the topic at hand, here's another that was sort of surprised by this. I found myself putting other people's towels in bins and cups in the trash. And like others, my DD also commented that people didn't clean up.

In some instances, it's expected. Like at Cabanas. There isn't a way to bus your own dishes and that's fine. Yes, there are CMs for that. (Though we do try to stack up our used dishes when we leave so it's clear we're done and make it easier to pick them up.) But for poolside, I wouldn't leave a paper cup sitting on a table, when it's easy to throw away.

We couldn't agree more. This kind of stuff makes me crazy normally but it seems especially magnified in a slightly compact environment. It astounds me how many people can't be bothered to take their empty glasses and trash out of the Walt Disney Theatre.

Yes there are people whose jobs it is to tidy up, but that doesn't relieve us of our responsibility of picking up after ourselves. Paying for a trip isn't an excuse to be a slob.

I too am intrigued! Is your home unique? I can't help but wonder how something like that comes about. Very curious! :)

Back to the topic at hand, here's another that was sort of surprised by this. I found myself putting other people's towels in bins and cups in the trash. And like others, my DD also commented that people didn't clean up.

In some instances, it's expected. Like at Cabanas. There isn't a way to bus your own dishes and that's fine. Yes, there are CMs for that. (Though we do try to stack up our used dishes when we leave so it's clear we're done and make it easier to pick them up.) But for poolside, I wouldn't leave a paper cup sitting on a table, when it's easy to throw away.

I know this is getting OT but here is the quick run down.

Funny thing...I had just gotten home from the 2 week Panama Canal cruise in the beginning of November and was going through the pile of mail. There was a letter that was obviously left in our mailbox stating they were interested in our house and would we be interested in talking to them about filming. I sat on it for a week and then said what the heck and called them. They were there the next day taking pics of the interior and exterior and said if the director and producers liked the photos they would call. Never, ever expected the call but they did. A few visits by directors, produces and the star later and then found out in early January that our house was chosen. Can't get into details about the show or plot but they filmed here for a week (with a week of prep work and a week of clean up) and they did change many, many things in the interior of our house. And no, our house is not really unique at all. Just a house on a cul-de-sac. I think they dropped off tons of letters in peoples' mailboxes in the area. We just got lucky!!

MJ

Oh my goodness! I'm glad other people are deeply bothered by this. When I go to an NFL game, I am amazed at all the trash left under the seats. I took my trash with me to throw away and people made fun of me! I couldn't believe how nonchalant people were about 70,000 people leaving trash for other to pick.

I was also disgusted when I recently saw Deadpool. The character makes a comment about taking your trash. As we walked out, I couldn't believe the number of people who left cups in the holders. But I guess if Ryan Reynolds can't convince people to throw away their trash, no one can.

We also had the experience of staying at a Marriott Residence but unfortunately it was for 10 months. Our home had burned down and it took a long time to rebuild it but we also ate each morning. We always brought our plates and the dining room people would always tell us to "just leave them at the table" which we just could not do. They explained that it was their job to do it but appreciated our efforts. We also try to clean up after ourselves in Cabanas and when we bring our plates and cups up the cast members thank us and appreciate it always. We are certainly people watchers and sometimes cannot believe how people act however it does not really impact our vacation or our enjoyment of our cruise.

Oh my goodness! I'm glad other people are deeply bothered by this. When I go to an NFL game, I am amazed at all the trash left under the seats. I took my trash with me to throw away and people made fun of me! I couldn't believe how nonchalant people were about 70,000 people leaving trash for other to pick.

I was also disgusted when I recently saw Deadpool. The character makes a comment about taking your trash. As we walked out, I couldn't believe the number of people who left cups in the holders. But I guess if Ryan Reynolds can't convince people to throw away their trash, no one can.
I don't see a problem with any of that. Oh well.

JW

Basic common courtesy line picking napkins up off the floor, pushing your chair back under the table are always neglecte

Lordy, Lordy I wish my DH would "accidentally" read your post, DisneyChandler! It drives me crazy that no matter what kind of restaurant we go into, no matter how crowded it might be (IOW all the more reason to push your chair back under the table!), he will NOT take the 5 seconds it takes to do this. :furious: I do it for him over and over because I don't want someone to run into it and can't stand to leave it there. Same thing with just throwing trash like dry cleaner bags onto the floor of a hotel room, saying "that's what the maid's do"! :crazy2: I could go on about other similar things, but this isn't a marriage forum….. Hahahahahaha!!! :rolleyes1 You can lead a horse to water……

So, first...I throw away my stuff, I put towels in the bin, at a baseball game I keep a bag to put my peanut shells in so they never even hit the floor, etc etc etc. This morning leaving my DVC villa I realized I'd been using the recycle bin (the sticker was facing the wall!) as garbage, and took the time to fix it.

But.

If it weren't for the CMs, there would be cups rolling all over the decks around the pools.

And that's part of the CMs' job. If everyone was taking care of it, the CMs would have less to do and Disney would, no doubt, get rid of some jobs.

A co-worker stated that those people were on vacation and that the stewards/deck hands were paid to keep the ship clean. Is that true?

Both are true; not sure how either could be UNtrue? Some of us still clean up after ourselves while on vacation, but we ARE on vacation, and it IS part of the CMs' jobs to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter