• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking whichever we choose,we break even,money wise. B/c if I keep Dh card, I get 1)TC on Dec 17, use it on the 19th and pay AF on the Jan statement ($450 -save $300) and
2) get my TC on Dec 11,use on the 19th,cancel before Jan Af hits(?) save $300
OR
3)I get Dh TC on the 17, use on 19th,cancel before Jan AF fee hits cost $0,saved $300)
and
4) Keep my card,use TC for upcoming 2018 travel,spend $450,save another $300
----Either choice, I spend $450 to keep one, and I use two TC between December 2017,and whenever in 2018. Do I have this right? which makes my net OOP for new TC (x2) -$150. so one more year either way in which I'm being 'paid' $150 to use one of our cards- do I have this right? ( as you noted,I tend to go in circles lol) (this doesn't take into acct all those lovely points etc etc on the cards)
Your DH got his card in Nov right? Therefore his AF will hit in Nov, not Jan.

ETA: the only way you get another TC on DH's card is to pay the $450 annual fee

I'm thinking whichever we choose,we break even,money wise. B/c if I keep Dh card, I get 1)TC on Dec 17, use it on the 19th and pay AF on the Jan statement ($450 -save $300) and
2) get my TC on Dec 11,use on the 19th,cancel before Jan Af hits(?) save $300
OR
3)I get Dh TC on the 17, use on 19th,cancel before Jan AF fee hits cost $0,saved $300)
and
4) Keep my card,use TC for upcoming 2018 travel,spend $450,save another $300
----Either choice, I spend $450 to keep one, and I use two TC between December 2017,and whenever in 2018. Do I have this right? which makes my net OOP for new TC (x2) -$150. so one more year either way in which I'm being 'paid' $150 to use one of our cards- do I have this right? ( as you noted,I tend to go in circles lol) (this doesn't take into acct all those lovely points etc etc on the cards)
I deleted this because I found a way to make it more simple! Let's separate out your 2 cards and analyze them individually ok? (There's no financial reason to tie them to each other) These are your options and financial outcomes that I see:

DH:
1.) Cancel in Nov before AF= $0
2.) Pay AF in Nov, use 2018 TC anytime from mid-Dec until the next AF is due in Nov 2018 = -$150

You:
1.) Cancel in Jan before AF = $0, use 2018 TC mid-Dec until before AF hits in Jan = +$300
2.) Pay AF in Jan, use 2018 TC anytime from mid-Dec 2017 to mid-Dec 2018 = -150
3.) Do #2 AND use 2019 TC from mid-Dec 2018 to before AF his in Jan 2019 = +150 (because it cost you $150 to keep the card but you’ll redeem the extra TC for $300 at the end of next year)

Last edited:

Anybody have the Wells Fargo Propel World? I see from Doc's website it's still around with a 40,000 point bonus, it's just not available online anymore. I'm thinking of doing that next as I have airline incidental expenses coming up this year that would utilize the $100 airline incidental credit and then get a check for $400 from the bonus points. Due to the airline incidental part I'm thinking WF first, then getting the Barclaycard Arrival later as none of the monetary benefits are tied to airline spend?

I deleted this because I found a way to make it more simple! Let's separate out your 2 cards and analyze them individually ok? (There's no financial reason to tie them to each other) These are your options and financial outcomes that I see:

DH:
2.) Pay AF in Nov, use 2018 TC anytime from mid-Dec until the next AF is due in Nov 2018 = -$150

You:
1.) Cancel in Jan before AF = $0, use 2018 TC mid-Dec until before AF hits in Jan = +$300
3.) Do #2 AND use 2019 TC from mid-Dec 2018 to before AF his in Jan 2019 = +150 (because it cost you $150 to keep the card but you’ll redeem the extra TC for $300 at the end of next year)
I LIKE it!! thanks for the assistance! Oh BTW to anyone reading here,I won't 'cancel' the CSR outright,just change to a lesser product....

7-10 days. That's code for denial, right? :(
I just remembered something- when I applied for my CSR I got that message as well. I called recon before the explanation letter came because 1) I have the patience of a 2 year old when it comes to CC approvals and 2) I suspected the problem was 5/24 because of an account I was an AU on so I figured I had a shot to change their minds. 3 calls later I got my CSR, it actually came in the mail before my denial letter.

Do you have an idea why you were denied? Are you comfortable talking to recon? If so call in now and find out what happened, if you've already been denied you don't really have anything to lose at this point.

DH:

You:

Do we know if canceling or price changing the CSR after the AF hits but before the full year is out results in a prorated AF refund? I thought I saw some (one?) DP(s) on reddit claiming a $150 prorated refund from PCing the CSR to freedom. If so, that could really change the calculus: pay the AF, use up another year's TC, get a refund of the AF.

How much was the transaction fee? I've read somewhere that it varies?
It ended up being 3.1%. More than Plastiq, but I was willing to pay it if the payment was successful to reach my CIP min spend. The 3X UR bonus was the cherry on top!

It ended up being 3.1%. More than Plastiq, but I was willing to pay it if the payment was successful to reach my CIP min spend. The 3X UR bonus was the cherry on top!

Sadly or not, I think I've also met the min spend on my CIP but I don't see the 80k points pending on the UR site yet.

Sadly or not, I think I've also met the min spend on my CIP but I don't see the 80k points pending on the UR site yet.

I probably worded my post wrong. I haven't completed the min spend yet, but now that I know I can pay my mortgage with Tio I'll have no problem getting there within 2 months. I was kind of worried about getting to $5K without Plastiq.
I want to share this on Reddit because I haven't seen many posts about Tio at all, let alone about the payments potentially coding in a way that would generate 3X URs. But I'm generally terrified to post anything over there, and I don't want to call attention to it and have the loophole closed before I finish my min spend. :)

I probably worded my post wrong. I haven't completed the min spend yet, but now that I know I can pay my mortgage with Tio I'll have no problem getting there within 2 months. I was kind of worried about getting to $5K without Plastiq.
I want to share this on Reddit because I haven't seen many posts about Tio at all, let alone about the payments potentially coding in a way that would generate 3X URs. But I'm generally terrified to post anything over there, and I don't want to call attention to it and have the loophole closed before I finish my min spend. :)

Oh, I feel the same way! There are good people on /r/churning, and I'd love to share what I know to pay back all that I've learned, but how soon before a passel of hogs moves their HELOC payments over to Tio and kills 3x there too?

Do we know if canceling or price changing the CSR after the AF hits but before the full year is out results in a prorated AF refund? I thought I saw some (one?) DP(s) on reddit claiming a $150 prorated refund from PCing the CSR to freedom. If so, that could really change the calculus: pay the AF, use up another year's TC, get a refund of the AF.
There was a DP on Reddit when someone downgraded to a Freedom of that happening but this was for their first annual fee, not for the second. And I think a comment said it happened to them as well even though they were told it wouldn't. There should be more data points on this come fall, I believe the first round of 2nd annual fees on CSRs should start in Aug-Sept since that's when the card came out.

ETA to add link to my previous post that has the reddit link: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-243#post-57806188

Oh, I feel the same way! There are good people on /r/churning, and I'd love to share what I know to pay back all that I've learned, but how soon before a passel of hogs moves their HELOC payments over to Tio and kills 3x there too?
Exactly! I want to give back to the community, but I don't want to end the gravy train just yet. :) I am tempted so I can get some more Karma though...

Same. I have spent about 8k on the card at this point and no pending 80k.

There was a DP on Reddit when someone downgraded to a Freedom of that happening but this was for their first annual fee, not for the second. And I think a comment said it happened to them as well even though they were told it wouldn't. There should be more data points on this come fall, I believe the first round of 2nd annual fees on CSRs should start in Aug-Sept since that's when the card came out.

ETA to add link to my previous post that has the reddit link: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-243#post-57806188

I read through that reddit thread last night. Thanks for sharing it here b/c I have no clue really how to navigate reddit so I just read what you all post here. Anyways, I am on the fence about what to do with our CSR's so waiting to see what happens this fall when we all start hitting the 1-year mark.

Anybody have the Wells Fargo Propel World? I see from Doc's website it's still around with a 40,000 point bonus, it's just not available online anymore. I'm thinking of doing that next as I have airline incidental expenses coming up this year that would utilize the $100 airline incidental credit and then get a check for $400 from the bonus points. Due to the airline incidental part I'm thinking WF first, then getting the Barclaycard Arrival later as none of the monetary benefits are tied to airline spend?

Had. I had the Propel card. Only 2 cards have ever swayed me on an emotional level. The WF Propel and the CSR card. I love the CSR card. I love the benefits, the ease of using my points and the variety of ways I can use them. That card makes me smile and feel happy. I absolutely loathed the Propel card. What should have been a wonderful travel hacking experience involving a Barclay Arrival Plus, Capital One Venture and WF Propel card, that DH and I each got so we could wipe out $3,000 worth of DCL excursions with points during the Norway, Iceland Scotland cruise in 2015 still evokes strong feelings of aggravation. While making the spend, I would get declined constantly. Often times, I was declined literally after hanging up with customer service after being declined and fixing the issue by the time I got to the next store. Even when I was proactive and called to inform them I'd be making a purchase at a store for a certain amount, so I wouldn't get declined, you guessed it, still would get declined. Then, redeeming the points was another headache all together. I have never spent so much time on the phone with customer services representatives, supervisors, escalating issues and and emailing a bank in order to redeem my points.

Best of luck and hope you have an easier time of it than I did.

Had. I had the Propel card. Only 2 cards have ever swayed me on an emotional level. The WF Propel and the CSR card. I love the CSR card. I love the benefits, the ease of using my points and the variety of ways I can use them. That card makes me smile and feel happy. I absolutely loathed the Propel card. What should have been a wonderful travel hacking experience involving a Barclay Arrival Plus, Capital One Venture and WF Propel card, that DH and I each got so we could wipe out $3,000 worth of DCL excursions with points during the Norway, Iceland Scotland cruise in 2015 still evokes strong feelings of aggravation. While making the spend, I would get declined constantly. Often times, I was declined literally after hanging up with customer service after being declined and fixing the issue by the time I got to the next store. Even when I was proactive and called to inform them I'd be making a purchase at a store for a certain amount, so I wouldn't get declined, you guessed it, still would get declined. Then, redeeming the points was another headache all together. I have never spent so much time on the phone with customer services representatives, supervisors, escalating issues and and emailing a bank in order to redeem my points.

Best of luck and hope you have an easier time of it than I did.
Oh my! Reconsidering & definitely gonna do some more research...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter