The Running Thread--2024

@kps7795 you need to know your body if you can handle 6 days a week. I ran 5 days a week and a few times (when not in training mode) i tried 6 days a week. I admit, I run too hard, but i did try to make them easy runs when i bumped up to 6 days a week. I could handle it for about 8 weeks and then i would end up injured. I tried twice and both times an injury. It was either my knee or my calf. The last time i tried was during covid, so it was before i was 50.

I would suggest if you want to try 6 days a week, do it well before your training plan starts. If had tried that for a training plan it would have been a bust. It takes more than 2 weeks at 6 days to know you can't handle it.

@kps7795 you need to know your body if you can handle 6 days a week. I ran 5 days a week and a few times (when not in training mode) i tried 6 days a week. I admit, I run too hard, but i did try to make them easy runs when i bumped up to 6 days a week. I could handle it for about 8 weeks and then i would end up injured. I tried twice and both times an injury. It was either my knee or my calf. The last time i tried was during covid, so it was before i was 50.

I would suggest if you want to try 6 days a week, do it well before your training plan starts. If had tried that for a training plan it would have been a bust. It takes more than 2 weeks at 6 days to know you can't handle it.
I appreciate your feedback. I wish that I knew whether or not my hamstring strain was from overuse or just one of things that can happen on any run. For what it's worth, it came nine weeks into my Hanson's HM training block in which I was running six days a week.

For my most recent training plan, I typically scheduled 7 days/week, but actually only averaged 6.2 (mostly due to a couple of weeks with illness or recovery).

That included 2 fast workouts per week, so about 75% at an Easy pace (including dedicated Easy runs, but also WU/CD for workouts, Recovery runs, and Long Runs at the high end of Easy).

1714766678964.png

I did start to wear out and get a bit less consistent toward the end of this aggressive training plan, but I did see significant gains, and hit my race target!

How often does the rest of the gang run per week? This is always an interesting topic with various perspectives.
I used to run 4 days a week, 5 in the final weeks of Dopey training: 1 speed or hill repeats day of 20-30 minutes, 2 45-50 min weekday runs, 1 long run. But my 50+ year old body put the brakes on that. Lately I’ve been doing a 2-week cycle that looks like this:
M indoor cycle hill/sprint intervals for 20-25 mins
T 40-45 min run-walk
W Pilates
TH 40-45 min run-walk
F rest
SA long run-walk
SU yoga
M speed or hill run-walk repeats for 20 min
T 40-45 min run-walk
W Pilates
TH 40-45 min run-walk
F rest
SA long run-walk or cut back if building distance
SU yoga

But some weeks I ditch the Monday run if my body wants a rest day.

I run 6 days a week and do some kind of strength or mobility work every day too.

For those who find it difficult to stick to strength training: I've been strength training in general for longer than I've been running consistently, so I can't really tell you how it's changed my running. However, recently I decided to add more core-specific work to my weekly routine, and I actually can tell that it's made a difference.

When I'm running while tired (like when I have foolishly decided to do a hard 5K workout in the middle of a long run and my legs are dead but I'm still 4 miles from home, hypothetically), my form is still decent now, whereas before my shoulders would have been way hunched over and I'd probably have lots of other issues too. I imagine this will be helpful at the Marine Corps Marathon in October 😉

That's from maybe 20-40 minutes a week of core work, so it's not even that bad!

How often does the rest of the gang run per week? This is always an interesting topic with various perspectives.

In the past two years when I've been training for a runDisney race in January, I have used a Fall 16 week training plan of 5 days per week. In the Summer I do a 4 day per week training plan for a B-race. In Winter, post runDisney race and into the spring I run 2 days per week and then bump it up to 3 days per week when the weather is nicer. These are not training plans, but something predictable on a schedule.

Throughout the year I do strength training on the days that I'm not running and some yoga too. So the strength training really ramps up early in the year and declines as the year goes on.

Right now, 0, maybe 1.
The most I've ever done was 5, during marathon training. It did not work for me. I think my sweet spot is 3 times per week, with an occasional 4th run towards the end of a training cycle. I do 1-2 rest days per week (that depends on my schedule) and try to do 3 cross-training.

I say it on here every year, but Broad Street is great and everyone should run it. For some reason the only rain we are forecast to get this whole week is exactly during the run, yet again. It's the only negative about this race: 30% of the time we have rain that morning.

And we know the curse is tied to the race itself, seeing as how it rained last year despite the race's atypical move to April!

5 days a week when training for a race and 4 days when in maintenance mode. I find it’s the right balance for me and allows me to move running days around due to weather, work, travel etc. also lets me fit in cross/weight training. I do sometimes throw in a 6th day if I have time and the weather is perfect that day.

This training cycle j decided to try the nike run club training plan which calls for 5 days per week. Ive mostly managed it. I do quite like the 5 days however, life gets in the way some time and some weeks i only managed 4 and then did 6 the next week.

Strength training is where i need to get more consistent. Ive been trying tonwork in 3-4 short strengh session per week. But i think i only managed 3 weeks of my 14 weeks plan hitting that goal 🤣.

4 days a week is the max I can manage. Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun (assuming I don’t have to rearrange everything for whatever reason)
I also run 4 days a week, but MWFSat, and go to hour long workout sessions twice per week. Running more makes everything hurt, not because of injuries but because of aging joints, muscles, and connective tissues.

Also we had the Lake Hartwell Dam Run 5k/10k this morning. Pictured are DH, the race director; and me and @princesspirateandrunner who both ran the 10k. The forecast was for rain, but it held off and it just became a cloudy, muggy race! All was good!
IMG_2090.jpeg

Got my longest run (20k) of my half marathon training cycle out of the way today as weather was just about perfect. Pretty happy with where I am with 3 weeks to go until my race. This will likely be my one and only chance for a B POT for Dopey before the deadline. I’m not going to have a lot of wiggle room so I do think it may ultimately come down to race day weather.

I also run 4 days a week, but MWFSat, and go to hour long workout sessions twice per week. Running more makes everything hurt, not because of injuries but because of aging joints, muscles, and connective tissues.

Also we had the Lake Hartwell Dam Run 5k/10k this morning. Pictured are DH, the race director; and me and @princesspirateandrunner who both ran the 10k. The forecast was for rain, but it held off and it just became a cloudy, muggy race! All was good!
View attachment 856972
Sorry I couldn’t be there, too, but DH had a great time. I hope to join you next year!

For my Dopey cycles and HM's sprinkled in between I've done 5 days/week. Spring/Summer I always add in strength training before fall dopey training kicks in.

M - Easy
Tues - Speed, intervals, etc.
W - Easy
Th - off
Fri - Easy
Sa - LR

It's been manageable and given me enough rest I've been able to hit goals, avoided any major injuries, but most importantly hasn't exhausted me. I do @DopeyBadger plans and the miles spread nicely over 5 days. There have been times I just don't want to get up in the morning to run but it's been good overall. I will say when I'm deep into training or just run down from outside factors I really appreciate the two days off. I get a day during the week I can sleep later before the kids are up and I have one weekend morning I sleep in and let me husband do breakfast duties. I think 6 would be too much for me and 4 would make me feel like I'm trying to catch up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter