I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if you can earn ur points if you shop through the chase ur portal but pay with gift cards? Having to buy a new washer from Home Depot:(

I think so, but I'll let you know for sure soon! I ordered something from west elm through the Chase UR portal using a gift card for the exact amount purchased through MileagePlus X. I made the purchase last Friday, checked this morning but nothing's posted yet.

I have five Chase cards: Marriott from 2008, Disney from 2012, Southwest from 2014, CSR from three months ago, and United from a month ago. I am at 4/24 (SPG Amex, and was stupid and am an AU on a DW card). I have the companion pass through 2018, so my plan was to cancel the Southwest card and get CSP in its place. However, I just recently received a targeted offer for the Marriott business card, 80k bonus. A few questions if anyone can help me:

1) I think I've read that they will check the 5/24 status upon application for a business card, but then afterwards it doesn't count towards 5/24. I'm hoping for this so that I could still go do the CSP.
2) Since it's a targeted offer, is it safe to assume that I would be approved? I don't have any official business, but I do some stuff on the side that could technically be called a business.
3) If I do get approved, does the card have to be used for business spend? Not sure I could get to the $3k if that's the case.

I'm new to the business side of this credit card game. Thanks in advance for any insight!

1. From what I've read, the 5/24 rule doesn't apply to the Marriott business card and, if approved, it shouldn't add to x/24.
2. Targeted offers aren't prequalified offers. Even with a prequalified offer, there's no guarantee you'll be approved but you have a good chance. A prequalified offer might get you over the 5/24 rule if you apply in-branch.
3. No one cares what kind of spend you put on a business card. Just be aware that annual fees, balance transfers, cash advances, interest and returned items don't count towards minimum spend. Chase also advises that purchases made on a business card don't have the same consumer protections as those put on a personal card.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if you can earn ur points if you shop through the chase ur portal but pay with gift cards? Having to buy a new washer from Home Depot:(

In my experience, yes. I have used gift cards for a portion of a purchase made through the UR portal, and the UR points have applied to the total dollar amount of the purchase, not just the portion paid with the Chase cc. This is different from the MileagePlus portal where, again in my experience, miles are not earned on any portion of the purchase paid with a gift card.

1. From what I've read, the 5/24 rule doesn't apply to the Marriott business card and, if approved, it shouldn't add to x/24.
2. Targeted offers aren't prequalified offers. Even with a prequalified offer, there's no guarantee you'll be approved but you have a good chance. A prequalified offer might get you over the 5/24 rule if you apply in-branch.
3. No one cares what kind of spend you put on a business card. Just be aware that annual fees, balance transfers, cash advances, interest and returned items don't count towards minimum spend. Chase also advises that purchases made on a business card don't have the same consumer protections as those put on a personal card.

Good luck!

This is great thanks! Any idea how strict they are on having a "business"?

Confirmed. I just got an email from Chase Sapphire Reserve with the UR points I earned from using Shop Through Chase last Friday, paid for entirely with a gift card.

I love stacking my purchases for bonus points, miles, and/or cash back!

Keep checking the automated line and your online Chase account. You could luck out with it being approved in the next 2 days.
Which number for automated line? I called and once I put in SS# it transferred me to a live person.

Confirmed. I just got an email from Chase Sapphire Reserve with the UR points I earned from using Shop Through Chase last Friday, paid for entirely with a gift card.

I love stacking my purchases for bonus points, miles, and/or cash back!

Great news about stacking all those! Did you happen to buy the MileagePlusX gift card with a CSR, and if so then did it come thru as a 3x "travel" purchase?

Havaneselover, just a note of caution on buying something (like a washer) that you may want the extended warranty coverage that comes with most credit cards. Gift cards have no such protections.

Last edited:
Great news about stacking all those! Did you happen to buy the MileagePlusX gift card with a CSR, and if so then did it come thru as a 3x "travel" purchase?

Thanks! I’m really happy to have discovered MPX since I value my MileagePlus miles. The email from my last MPX purchase tells me that I've earned about 9,500 miles since I started using the app almost 3 months ago! The extra bonuses during Mother’s Day and Father’s Day really gave me a boost. It's added another layer of complexity to my spending calculus because I now ask myself whether the miles are worth it if I can get a gift card to the same merchant at a discount from sites like Raise. Same with Shop With Chase, UR points or cash back with sites like Ebates? I love it!

Another thing that really boosts my earnings is I have my United MileagePlus Select card attached to my MPX account. Attaching any MileagePlus credit card to MPX will give you a +25% points bonus, even if you don’t use a MileagePlus card to pay. I never use my MileagePlus card for any MPX purchase because there’s no benefit other than just having it attached.

I’ve been alternating my purchases between my CSR and Amex Plat, depending on the category of the merchant to which I’m buying the gift card. At least with Visa, it seems as if MPX passes the coding onto the merchant. So west elm would have coded as 1x on CSR, but Starbucks definitely earns 3x under dining. I suppose I should add the Freedom to MPX because next quarter is 5x back on restaurants and movie theaters, and I find myself buying a lot of gift cards to restaurants.

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:
I decided to call since its automated and I've been approved for the Ink business!

Thank you all so much! I was just instantly approved for both SW cards. To be honest, I would've been happy with just one for 60k points. Scary I haven't applied for a card since the 90's :scared:, but couldn't resist the points and attempt at CP.

Congratulations to you two! I love reading about approvals, especially big ones!

If you read down thru comments to the last one, someone lists Disney Wholesale Direct as the party to contact about your reservation
That is good to know! I guess that is the 'supplier' that the supervisor called last night.

The comment right above the one you mentioned says that the conf# in MDE is different. That is the case for my reservation also. I got the number as a normal Disney number (begins with 4, 12 digits). I linked my reservation but the number changed. It now begins with an 8 and doesn't look anything like a normal Disney conf #. Hopefully there are no issues for us.

You're welcome :) And you've basically got it! Yes, your card will reset on Dec 11 (or whenever your statement closes in mid-Dec). As long as you use your travel credit on your card between mid Dec and before your annual fee hits in Jan you will receive the "double dip".

Now we can get a little more complicated in deciding which card to keep... 2 scenarios play out like this to me:
Cancel DH's in Nov: you've already "locked in" the double dip on the travel credit on his card, would keep you from having to pay the annual fee this Nov
Cancel Your's in Jan: you can assure your ability to "double dip" by keeping DH's and cancelling your card in Jan before the annual fee hits as long as you will use the travel credit between mid Dec and your fee hitting in Jan. Downside- have to pay DH's annual fee in Nov. Upside- "lock-in" your ability to double dip the travel credit. If Chase changes the terms on our cards to resetting the travel credit based on our anniversary date instead of mid-Dec statement date you will have assured your ability to double dip. Whether or not Chase can do that or even logistically how they would do that idk but terms and conditions on these cards can and do change.

Personally, I would keep DHs because I'm paranoid by nature and would be worried about Chase changing the wording in the agreement, whether that is a realistic concern I have no idea. If you're not the paranoid type putting off the annual fee until after the holidays might make more sense.
I'm thinking whichever we choose,we break even,money wise. B/c if I keep Dh card, I get 1)TC on Dec 17, use it on the 19th and pay AF on the Jan statement ($450 -save $300) and
2) get my TC on Dec 11,use on the 19th,cancel before Jan Af hits(?) save $300
OR
3)I get Dh TC on the 17, use on 19th,cancel before Jan AF fee hits cost $0,saved $300)
and
4) Keep my card,use TC for upcoming 2018 travel,spend $450,save another $300
----Either choice, I spend $450 to keep one, and I use two TC between December 2017,and whenever in 2018. Do I have this right? which makes my net OOP for new TC (x2) -$150. so one more year either way in which I'm being 'paid' $150 to use one of our cards- do I have this right? ( as you noted,I tend to go in circles lol) (this doesn't take into acct all those lovely points etc etc on the cards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter