I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decisions decisions...DH Amex Platinum AF posted. He got a retention offer last year so that's out. I don't know.....

I did not realize that it was 4 upgrades for 7 night stays, I thought it was 4 nights. This might be worth it. We are planning on going to Hawaii in 2022, taking my parents. This would be so nice.
The suite night upgrades are great, just be aware that they are only valid for 14 months from when they are earned. If you earn them in February, 2021 then you would have until April, 2022 to use them.
If you take your parents to Hawaii, as a Globalist you are able to gift them status (on an award booking), meaning they would get free breakfast and a possible suite upgrade at check-in (as long as you book their stay).
Here is the write-up by OMAAT on suite night upgrades:
What is the expiration policy for suite upgrade awards?
Hyatt suite upgrade awards are valid for the year in which they’re earned, plus around 14 months. In other words, suite upgrade awards earned in January 2021 would be valid through February 2023.
Note that you have to actually stay by the expiration date (with the check-out date being prior to when the suite upgrade award expires), and not just make the booking by then.

Had a panicky moment this morning. Last summer I booked a speculative stay at the Hilton Marco Island for a Christmas break trip thinking I had up until a couple days before trip to cancel. I looked it up this morning to cancel, and deadline to cancel was over a week ago. Totally panicked... it was 320k HH. So I called the resort and they were able to refund my points. Very relieved. :hippie:

There's a new google pay app and there's an offer for $21 back at target when you buy $50 and use it to pay. Info at doc.

Worked buying a dis gc, says it's been redeemed and will pay out in 30 days. Comments on doc mention someone using an iPhone to do it as well. Should be able to link to your bank acct for pay out, haven't done that yet.

The suite night upgrades are great, just be aware that they are only valid for 14 months from when they are earned. If you earn them in February, 2021 then you would have until April, 2022 to use them.
If you take your parents to Hawaii, as a Globalist you are able to gift them status (on an award booking), meaning they would get free breakfast and a possible suite upgrade at check-in (as long as you book their stay).
Here is the write-up by OMAAT on suite night upgrades:
What is the expiration policy for suite upgrade awards?
Hyatt suite upgrade awards are valid for the year in which they’re earned, plus around 14 months. In other words, suite upgrade awards earned in January 2021 would be valid through February 2023.
Note that you have to actually stay by the expiration date (with the check-out date being prior to when the suite upgrade award expires), and not just make the booking by then.
Aso @calypso726 ..... I'm intrigued right now..... in doing some reading over on that link- they recommend telling the hotel manager it's a mattress run....for real? I was considering the idea of just doing all 9 nights at once (to get it done with,maybe go play in the pool with the kids some days)...any thoughts?

IHG free nights expiring end of this month are officially extended. I checked my account and it looks like they’ve actually added a free night. So the one soon to expire is still there, plus an additional night not there before that says it expires (IIRC) Aug ‘21.
Yes, but the first one still expires end of this month on my account. So, effectively we have an 8 month extension on my expiring night if I can't use the 1st one that is still showing by New Years Eve, it's original expiration date.

Changing this statement below. It does say 'you have 3 free nights.'
It also may be that it hasn't been cleared out yet.

YAY! I just saw I have 3 free nights now too. Honestly when I woke up this morning I had thought, I better book something as it seems IHG isn't extending. NOW, here's my question.....do you think we actually have all 3 nights? I've been trying to talk the BF into going somewhere. Could I sneak in something before 12/31 and still have the new extended night as well? I've been pushing him to do Vegas as the Palazzo points are low enough you can stay there, LOL. I wonder if I could get him to do it, LOL.

Thanks for the heads up! My DH was able to score a XBOX and it arrived today. I told him that I was going to wrap it up and put it under the tree, but he really doesn't want to wait 10 days to play!

Awesome! I am not going to lie I was helping a few friends get consoles I even managed to snag one for a buddy on a drop the night before Thanksgiving. While it was crazy frustrating at times I kinda miss the "rush" from trying to get one. I finally have turned off all notifications but still follow a few of the accounts and yesterday seemed like a huge day with drops from Sams Club, Best Buy and Walmart. I am sad I don't have any other friends that want one right now to help with anymore.

On AA vacations website you have to add your hotel AND car or flight (I choose car but don’t intend to pick it up) to your cart. When you get to your cart at the check out page there’s a slider bar that allows you to select how many points you want to apply toward the purchase. I agree it’s not super obvious, but look for the slider bar on the final check out page. Hope that helps.

As far as Citi goes, I think you have to call their Cruises and Tours department. I’m sure someone else can confirm as I’ve only read about it.
one more question on aavacations...what is their cancel policy? If I use points+cash and need to cancel later?

Aso @calypso726 ..... I'm intrigued right now..... in doing some reading over on that link- they recommend telling the hotel manager it's a mattress run....for real? I was considering the idea of just doing all 9 nights at once (to get it done with,maybe go play in the pool with the kids some days)...any thoughts?
I feel uncomfortable doing that as well. I'm doing a mattress run end of December and will leave a suitcase and toothbrush in the room and tell the front desk that I may not be sleeping there every night since my plans are uncertain. It's 6 nights so we shall see.

YAY! I just saw I have 3 free nights now too. Honestly when I woke up this morning I had thought, I better book something as it seems IHG isn't extending. NOW, here's my question.....do you think we actually have all 3 nights? I've been trying to talk the BF into going somewhere. Could I sneak in something before 12/31 and still have the new extended night as well? I've been pushing him to do Vegas as the Palazzo points are low enough you can stay there, LOL. I wonder if I could get him to do it, LOL.
I wondered the same thing - if you could get in 3 free nights if you go before the end of the year. I won’t be able to do it, but let us know if it works for you!
one more question on aavacations...what is their cancel policy? If I use points+cash and need to cancel later?
I had a trip booked with them that got cancelled the first week of COVID cancellations last March and they gave me a travel credit voucher good for the amount of money the trip was valued at. So I didn’t get refunded with miles. I think during normal non-COVID times it’s probably very difficult to get any type of refund.

Ok I'm confused (not unusual) IHG.... I have 3 certs on mine right now (I have $49 af card)
*1 dated 7/12/19-12/31/20
*2 dated 4/2/20-8/31/21
*3 dated 7/11/22
P2 has only the 2 still
*1 dated 3/21/20-9/27/21
*2 dated 4/2/20-12/31/20
.... what was extended here? I honestly had given up on IHg for a while, couldn't get into accts or site at all. Now I can get back in...but confused. I hate that I have two nights wasted here....
ETA- sorry I was unclear in this post...what I meant was I have no plans currently, but it appears the ones expiring 12/20 are still expiring? That's where I'm confused...what's been extended?

Last edited:
I look once in a great while on Reddit, but mostly to find info. or clarity on things that are off limits here. The problem is, I am less familiar with Reddit and find it difficult to sort through all of the old stuff to find the new information, so I end up sticking with this thread.
I also find reddit difficult to navigate.
I felt the same way about Reddit, until someone here (thank you whoever you are) suggested using this link which lists all the forum updates into a single chronological thread with newest at the top:
comments : DISchurners (reddit.com)
Then someone else (think maybe Judique (?) ) suggested to just upvote (the arrows on the left side of each comment) once you've read a comment. Then the up arrow changes red, so next time you can see where you left off.
And if you're looking to add a support link, select the MY SUBREDDITS drop-down near the upper left corner, then select DISCHURNERS, which takes you to our Chase, Amex, News, etc.

Last edited:
I feel uncomfortable doing that as well. I'm doing a mattress run end of December and will leave a suitcase and toothbrush in the room and tell the front desk that I may not be sleeping there every night since my plans are uncertain. It's 6 nights so we shall see.

I'd imagine most of these places, especially the lower point/cost places are aware this happens. Really not a big deal and you don't need to worry about them knowing what you are doing. They are getting their money and it's not like the place will be full. Just tell them it's a mattress run, you migjt be in to use the room or the pool or something but don't need service since you won't be sleeping there. There's no reason to hide it, you're paying for the product and can choose to use it however you like.

I only have one free night on my IHG LOL, I am not special. It is good until 3/2022, so mine was extended, even though it would not have expired until 9/2021.

I wouldn't phrase it quite that way. I am just going to say that I'm checking in and may or may not be back to the room before my check-out date.

I did a 1 night mattress run to get the 5,000 Marriott points a little while ago (needed a 3rd stay). I checked-in, went to the room, washed my hands, looked out the window and left. Never went back! However with more then 1 night if you don't let the hotel know that you won't be there they might check you out early. I have no intention of going back to check-out as the Hyatt I am using is a 45 minute drive from our house!

Went for the Hilton Aspire with the last 5/24 slot I have to play with for some time. Original plan was to go for the elevated Bonvoy Brilliant. I'm a big sucker for "best ever". Then I read an OMAAT article that made me realize the Aspire is the better deal for me. Got DH the Brilliant earlier, so that helps with the FOMO a bit.

With the Aspire, I can triple dip the airline credit. FNC issued this year and next are any day and extended through 2022. That means I can use the one I get right after getting the card and the one I get on renewal on the same reservation. DH will get his renewal FNC in June that can be used together. Considering getting the Surpass for him at some point (already had the biz) and doing the 15k spend for another one. That would make 4 we can use together in 2022. Hopefully our Grand Wailea trip next year will happen and I can use the $250 resort credit (as well as the one on DH's card). I see that parking is $45/day!

I did a 1 night mattress run to get the 5,000 Marriott points a little while ago (needed a 3rd stay). I checked-in, went to the room, washed my hands, looked out the window and left. Never went back! However with more then 1 night if you don't let the hotel know that you won't be there they might check you out early. I have no intention of going back to check-out as the Hyatt I am using is a 45 minute drive from our house!

With Marriott, if you download the app, you can do check in with the app. You can also get your room number and use your phone to open the door in some instances. And you can also check out online. Depends on whether the actual hotel is updated enough to handle this tech also, but, I've done it with a Springhill Suites.

Prior to SPG getting absorbed, there was an app available for Aloft. Don't remember what other options they had.

Hyatt also has a mobile app, but I haven't used it yet. I will try it on my next trip, whenever that will be. If I were doing a mattress run for Hyatt this time of year, and with Covid, I might have that conversation with the hotel about my 'use' of the room.

Ok I'm confused (not unusual) IHG.... I have 3 certs on mine right now (I have $49 af card)
*1 dated 7/12/19-12/31/20
*2 dated 4/2/20-8/31/21
*3 dated 7/11/22
P2 has only the 2 still
*1 dated 3/21/20-9/27/21
*2 dated 4/2/20-12/31/20
.... what was extended here? I honestly had given up on IHg for a while, couldn't get into accts or site at all. Now I can get back in...but confused. I hate that I have two nights wasted here....
ETA- sorry I was unclear in this post...what I meant was I have no plans currently, but it appears the ones expiring 12/20 are still expiring? That's where I'm confused...what's been extended?
It looks to me like they kept the expiring certificate there and added a new one that expires later. I should have two free nights but with the extension it looks like I have three.

I felt the same way about Reddit, until someone here (thank you whoever you are) suggested using this link which lists all the forum updates into a single chronological thread with newest at the top:
comments : DISchurners (reddit.com)
Then someone else (think maybe Judique (?) ) suggested to just upvote (the arrows on the left side of each comment) once you've read a comment. Then the up arrow changes red, so next time you can see where you left off.
And if you're looking to add a support link, select the MY SUBREDDITS drop-down near the upper left corner, then select DISCHURNERS, which takes you to our Chase, Amex, News, etc.
I've always suggested to upvote as you read so you know where you've left off. Thanks for reminding folks on this tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter