I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge congratulations on scoring a PS5 (unless I trip over one dd is not getting it for Christmas)!

There are 3 things that I'd do asap: i) call Chase to increase the CL to $2,500.00 and advise them of the situation ii) pay whatever is owing on the card and iii) call WM and advise them of the situation and tell them that you can give them another cc if it's going to be an issue
I called and impersonated P2 to ask for an increase and the rep said there was no promotion on the account and he’d have to a hard pull so I decided not to.
I paid my statement balance right away and now the current balance is showing $161.42 with $550 pending charges but available credit still at zero.

Fingers crossed!
Thanks.

Congrats on getting the PS5! No idea about your question but just wanted to say I was happy for you that you were able to get one. My DS told me not to worry about it. His birthday is in the summer and said he doesn’t mind waiting until then when it will be easier for me to get him one.
It was crazy. Had app up on phone, laptop and desktop going. Not really sure which one worked.
Hope it doesn’t get canceled.

Congrats on getting one - and if you scored one without a bot, thanks for restoring my faith in quick fingers:worship: (although if you used one, please teach me). I forgot to log on and missed it but it's more for the thrill of the hunt at this point than actually my son wanting one.
I did enjoy the hunt but was ready to give up after a 4 hour debacle at Gamestop last Saturday.

I thought that CC extended warranty wouldn't apply if you no longer have the card. Came across this and seems it's not usually true.

https://pocketsense.com/credit-card-extended-warranties-last-after-cancel-card-7764.html
Also looked up an Amex extended warranty terms and saw this:
"Are benefits still eligible when the Card Account is no longer active?
Yes, if the Eligible Payment is made for a Covered Purchase prior to the effective date of the benefit cancellation."

2020 Churning was extremely skewed for me. DH (me) opened the Alaska Air card in January and I opened a CIC in March. With his passing in April nothing else has taken place except to close a few cards of his when AF posted and I pc'd my CIP to a CIU.

I am finally getting to a point emotionally where I can start thinking about joining the game again. I have a blank canvas as I find myself at 0/24 as of the 3rd of this month! I have used PYB some. I have ~300k UR that I will hopefully be able to use for a cruise someday.

I'm not sure what future travel will look like for me. Part of the fun of traveling (for me) is sharing the experience with someone. Despite Covid, I have managed two trips this year, both to Alaska to be with my parents. Two months this summer and now a month for the holidays. I don't really count it as leisure travel though, more sanity/reality checks. I have been EXTREMELY spoiled by the cash price for first class during a pandemic! It is far better in my case to use cash than points currently.
I am so sorry for your loss. That is good that you were able to visit your parents and have their support. ((hugs))

Honest Question: Do any of you guys still regularly use the NEWS thread on DISchurners? I will admit, I've been a tad lazy in getting everything up there lately. I do a good job with most major things though. I was about to post the Q1 Freedom category news and paused to wonder if it's worth it. If you use the news thread to make sure you don't miss major events, please reply and let me know so I can determine if it's worth the ongoing effort.

Thanks!

I look once in a great while on Reddit, but mostly to find info. or clarity on things that are off limits here. The problem is, I am less familiar with Reddit and find it difficult to sort through all of the old stuff to find the new information, so I end up sticking with this thread.

I ended up applying for the flex unlimited and was approved. The problem is, now I’m second guessing if that was a wise choice, mostly because the SUB is fairly small? I was running out of time to get a new card for having to pay DSs tuition. I really just needed enough of a sign up bonus that would offset the fee the college charges to put it on my card. I definitely managed that but the problem is, after paying the fee, that doesn’t leave me with much reward from getting the card in the first place. I do like the small MSR. I am just wondering if I should have gone with a CIU or a CIP instead? I already have a CIP and so was trying to diversify. The MSR on the CIP is what discouraged me from that card. It certainly would be possible but it would mean not being able to utilize the other cards that we’ve been getting a lot of benefit from in the next several months. I want to continue using our CSR, because the PPB is so good with that card. If I decide to try for a CIU, how long would I need to wait to apply for a CIU that since I just got approved for the freedom flex? The other concern is the CL on the flex is super high—$25,000. Is it too soon to request they reduce that?

I guess I also need more help understanding what the best way to maximize PYB is? Am I correct that the CSR is the best route for the PYB? I know not all purchases need to be made on that specific card in order to benefit, but certainly some will or else we won’t have anything eligible for PYB. I haven’t applied for any cards at all in 2020 so I am definitely rusty.

I look once in a great while on Reddit, but mostly to find info. or clarity on things that are off limits here. The problem is, I am less familiar with Reddit and find it difficult to sort through all of the old stuff to find the new information, so I end up sticking with this thread.
I also find reddit difficult to navigate.

To answer @SouthFayetteFan's question: our relationship with credit cards totally changed this year because we have not travelled anywhere since February, and don't have any definite plans for 2021. Partly that's a choice (generally risk-averse, plus other complicating factors with altered schedules) and partly not really possible (DH would have to quarantine 14 days before going to back to work). The silver lining is that I am now 2/24 so all Chase options are open.

Which leads me to ask: can someone provide a brief primer on the excitement about Hyatt Globalist? Why would I want it, and how do I get it (assuming I apply for the Hyatt card, which I have never had)?

One of the best primers that answers many questions can be found CLICKY HERE

I can't answer why you would want it but I will tell you why I wanted it and recently went under 5/24 after 8 straight years of being well over 5/24 to get the Hyatt card. This zombie apocalypse pandemic of 2020 has derailed every single travel hacking plan I had. I can't travel internationally or I'd have to quarantine on return for 14 days per my work policy. I doubt that will change come 2021. Plus, if something did happen and I caught the plague, I'd rather be closer to home. So my renewed focus on travel is interesting resort stays in my own country. Hyatt has quite a few of those. Globalist status will provide free breakfast, waived resort fees and free parking as well as suite upgrades when available at check in. Earning Globalist in January/February by utilizing the current promos will earn one the status until February 2023. So even if I was not able to maximize the use of it in 2021, I'd have all of 2022 and a couple of months in 2023 to make use of it.

Personally, I will be taking it a step further and not just going for the Globalist status. I want the milestone rewards that are earned with the elite nights. Someone who gets the card now will have 10 elite nights and needs to book 10 more in Jan/Feb to get Globalist. This won't earn the milestone awards that I am after. If I'm going to make a go of resort stays then I want them to be worth it and not take my chances on whether or not a suite is available at check in. Earning 60 elite nights will get me a a cat 1-4 free night, a cat 1-7 free night, 5,000 bonus Hyatt points, and most importantly 4 suite upgrade awards that are each good for a 7 night stay and can be applied to the stay at the time of booking.

Last edited:
I called and impersonated P2 to ask for an increase and the rep said there was no promotion on the account and he’d have to a hard pull so I decided not to.
I paid my statement balance right away and now the current balance is showing $161.42 with $550 pending charges but available credit still at zero.

Fingers crossed!
Thanks.
Does DH have other personal cards? If so, you could just move some credit around in order to increase the CL. It can even be done via SM. just say I would like to move $1k from acct ending in xxx1 to acct ending in xxx2.

IHG free nights expiring end of this month are officially extended. I checked my account and it looks like they’ve actually added a free night. So the one soon to expire is still there, plus an additional night not there before that says it expires (IIRC) Aug ‘21.

Yes, but the first one still expires end of this month on my account. So, effectively we have an 8 month extension on my expiring night if I can't use the 1st one that is still showing by New Years Eve, it's original expiration date.

Changing this statement below. It does say 'you have 3 free nights.'
It also may be that it hasn't been cleared out yet.

Last edited:
On AA vacations website you have to add your hotel AND car or flight (I choose car but don’t intend to pick it up) to your cart. When you get to your cart at the check out page there’s a slider bar that allows you to select how many points you want to apply toward the purchase. I agree it’s not super obvious, but look for the slider bar on the final check out page. Hope that helps.

As far as Citi goes, I think you have to call their Cruises and Tours department. I’m sure someone else can confirm as I’ve only read about it.
do ou get any trouble for not picking up the car?

I think I saw on Doc that even new Amex Platinum Biz accounts got $200 in Dell credits for the 2nd half of 2020. Can anyone confirm? I just opened my account.

I think I saw on Doc that even new Amex Platinum Biz accounts got $200 in Dell credits for the 2nd half of 2020. Can anyone confirm? I just opened my account.
I chatted for mine just in case and she did confirm the extra $20 and $100 Dell credits. I haven't received the credit yet, but I just purchased yesterday and Monday.

After getting that confirmation and DH getting the same email offer I got one for him too. Approved with another no AF the first year. I'll figure out the spend somehow, but I just couldn't pass up $440 of credits. Now to just hope that the XBox X comes back in stock at Microsoft. Not sure if I'll keep it for my kids or sell it at a good price for one of my nephews.

I ended up applying for the flex unlimited and was approved. The problem is, now I’m second guessing if that was a wise choice, mostly because the SUB is fairly small? I was running out of time to get a new card for having to pay DSs tuition. I really just needed enough of a sign up bonus that would offset the fee the college charges to put it on my card. I definitely managed that but the problem is, after paying the fee, that doesn’t leave me with much reward from getting the card in the first place. I do like the small MSR. I am just wondering if I should have gone with a CIU or a CIP instead? I already have a CIP and so was trying to diversify. The MSR on the CIP is what discouraged me from that card. It certainly would be possible but it would mean not being able to utilize the other cards that we’ve been getting a lot of benefit from in the next several months. I want to continue using our CSR, because the PPB is so good with that card. If I decide to try for a CIU, how long would I need to wait to apply for a CIU that since I just got approved for the freedom flex? The other concern is the CL on the flex is super high—$25,000. Is it too soon to request they reduce that?

I guess I also need more help understanding what the best way to maximize PYB is? Am I correct that the CSR is the best route for the PYB? I know not all purchases need to be made on that specific card in order to benefit, but certainly some will or else we won’t have anything eligible for PYB. I haven’t applied for any cards at all in 2020 so I am definitely rusty.
Congrats on the CFF...I like it for the 5x groceries for the first year up to $12k
Would it make more sense math wise to just put $500 on the CFF so you only pay the fee on that and pay for the rest out of a checking account ?
You would need to wait at least 31 days from your CFF application to apply for the CIU...usual Chase pacing recommendation is 3 months
Yes you are correct to use the PYB on your CSR the purchases need to be on the CSR

do ou get any trouble for not picking up the car?

No there's no issue. Way back in the early 00s when I worked at apple vacation after college we used to do throw away cars or hotels. It was the only way to book airfare to HI and it was cheaper. Looking back you wonder what the hotels thought cause in Honolulu we always used the same one and no one ever stayed there. They made money though. But the car was sometimes cheaper and not always used/needed. Nothing happens except you pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter