How many DVC points do you have?

220 BWV and 80 OKW. This was enough when we traveled mostly off season but now that our daughter is in school we will need more points to handle summers and other higher point times. Holding out for CRV...

A little OT, is there a DVC 101 somewhere on the dis boards? I keep reading bits and pieces about how others use dvc points. I've read that its not a good use of points to take a dcl cruise. Why not? And then I read its a good value to buy smaller contracts. Why? Thanks for helping this greenhorn!

We have 250 pts at SSR (split into 2 contracts for re-sale purposes). Going on our first DVC trip to OKW in 17 days!:banana: Just bought in Dec. '06 so don't have a trip pattern yet - but it's looking like with only 250 points we'll only be able to swing 1 trip a year in the "Magic" season.

We're doing just this 1 trip this yr. then banked our remaining points into next yr. and are using all of those combined points to cover the 3 of us on the 4 n DCL cruise. (Then we're paying cash to do the 3 n back-to-back with it!) And as far as the value of using DVC points for a DCL cruise - we're doing it 'cuz it saved us a tad over $3K cash - so to us it was worth it to keep the $3K in our pockets!!:woohoo: The value of DVC points to cruise is relative to how deep your pockets are (we just have those little watch pockets, not cargo pant size)! It may have been cheaper by $300 or $400 to rent the points out & pay cash - but that wasn't such a huge amt. & didn't feel worth the hassle of the renting process to us.

For 2009 we're thinking about getting several studios & taking as much family as we can coordinate together for about 5 nights.

We bought 350 at SSR in May 2005. (sssshhhh don't tell dh but I've been bitten by the add-on bug) Don't have any interest in AKV so I'll either wait to hear where the next dvc will be or we'll look into resale.

I've heard some say that using your points for DCL is a waste, but I guess its all in how you want to use them. We banked our 2006 points and used 2006 and 2007's points and went on the 7 day eastern carribean cruise. We had a total of 8 people. Guess I should have mentioned that we are a family of 6 (dh and me and our 4 kiddos). Anyway we had a great experience on the cruise and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

We have a September use year so we are going Sept. 1-12th (can't wait) and staying at BWV in a 2 bedroom. Again we are taking our family of 6 plus my parents.

I would love to go more than once a year however I'm an off season kind of a gal however, I do dream of a magical Disney christmas!!!) and with two kiddos in school its kind of hard to make it more than once.

As of yesterday, our total rose to 550 pts.

We bought a 110 pt add-on at AKL (two 55 pt contracts) to go with our:

150 BWV
75 BCV
215 VWL ( 65, 50, 50, 50)

As you can tell, I like the smaller contracts so that I have a choice of perhaps selling only part of my DVC or deeding some to daughter's family later on.

As our family is growing, I see where we will need eventually to get at least 1 BR or 2 BR reservations at times. And I figure eventually we won't go quite as often (average of 3 trips per year now), but will bank and borrow points more to make reservations that require more points. For example, we may not stay at BCV but once every other year, using 150 pts, etc.

400 pts SSR in 2 -200 contracts....want 200 more but waiting to see if they make Crandcalliforinan at DL a DVC because we use alot of our pts there since we ive in SanDiego.:thumbsup2

We have 150 at BCV and 50 at SSR. We stay in the studios and go off peak times. Last year in September we spent 6 nights at BCV and then 5 more nights at VB. We still had points left to bank.

We own 174 pts. at Boardwalk and soon to be 50 pts. at Vero Beach. Our plan is to go to Vero Beach once a year (I grew up going to the beach every summer!) and using my BWV pts. at different resorts. I am currently waiting for my Hawaii search to come through. :wizard:

We have 750 pts. Our next trip is for Food/Wine and that will be our third trip to Disney this year. Our home is OKW. The number pts depends on how you want to use them. We have always taken friends and family with us at least one time a year. Group sizes from 3 to 14. So, if you plan on a big event and need pts. for a Grand Villa then the more the better and more trips to the magic. We have always enjoyed sharing our pts. with others and taking them around the parks. We hope to continue these trips for long time.

I have 100 points at SSR. Hope to do some add ons in the next couple of years.

My dh and I have 875pts to this day and we always seem every other year to keep adding. its almost like a disease:rotfl:
We started with 210 in 86 at okw then added on 150 to Boardwalk then 250 at Beach Club now we just added 265 to Animal Kingdom and I am sure if the contemporary announces something I will be buying more, hopefully it wont be for a couple of years. but obviously like everyone else the points are put to good use and to me memories are priceless and we have the best ones from these vacations.

DW and I bought 270 points in 2000 at OKW. We were able to plan two trips a year most years (travelling the first week of June and a week either late October or first week of December).

We just a couple of months ago (or as DW puts it "right as we are paying off our OKW Contract") decided to add-on 300 points for AKV. So the way I see it, if I don't loan some points to any friends I should be able to bank and plan that cruise sometime soon. (Actually I would never use points for a cruise it doesn't seem economical). :scared1:

The way we figure we could go for 4 full weeks depending on the times we go. :goodvibes

785 for us. 150 at VB, 150 at OKW, 90 at HHI and the rest at SSR. DW adn I stay in studios. We spent 1 week in Jan. at VB in an inn room and the entire month at WDW at SSR and OKW. A wek and a half during spring break at HHI and VB. 5 days during F & W Festival. We always try to maximize our points. We did not add on in Chicago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter